71.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having Neo adjuvant Chemotherapy?

turnercat

Re: Anyone else having Neo adjuvant Chemotherapy?

Wigs4U have a good supply of turbans and are reasonably priced. You'll Find them on the web. x
turnercat

I'm in the same chemo group as Suzy. Great bunch of ladies x
SuzyEB

I have just had the FEC part so far. I am having T in a weeks time. I lost my hair very quickly, I have been using Deresina for cotton beanies and scarves. I know others use Annabandana as well. When you decide to get your hair shaved off just leave a very short ammount. Just be prepared for how cold it can be. It takes a while to get used to being bald but you soon do

To join the monthly site go to the monthly thread on the chemo page and just post when you feel like it. You can also subscribe and get email updates for threads you follow. Hope this helps. All the best and looking forward to seeing you on the boards. xx
dillybub

Hi Suzy Thank you so much for your reply. I was worrying because so many seem to have surgery first, but reading further down so are others. Are you having FEC-T and if so what is the T part like. My hair has just started falling out and I have only had one session of chemo. Can you or anyone reading this suggest best site for headgear there are so many. Also how do I join the monthly site? Love Dilys xx
SuzyEB

Hi Dilys. I am in a similar situation. Clear mammogram in Dec and found lump in July. Grade 3 Her2 . It has not spread. Your dr can give meds for the indigestion. I am in Omeprazole which helps. I drink Lime and ginger tea, others try crystallised ginger or ginger ale.I am also using Gaviscon if needed. The tiredness will vary. Just listen to your body and rest when you need. I find that I have more energy in the morning. If I am going out in the evenung I take it gently all day and that helps.
I have been hospitalised 2 with neutropeania and have to give the injections. They are not bad but can give you pain in the bones. The chemo is doable. I don't know if you have joined the monthly threads yet but they are a real help from women at the same stage of treatment. I would have to say that they have been a lifeline for me. Love suzy xx
marli

Hi Liz. I had 6 x Taxotare, finishing in April. Although not pleasant I had no major SE's apart from diarrhoea which I have learned to control with immodium. Was never sick and bloods were always good so needed no injections. Made sure I ate well. Everyone reacts differently and I do consider myself lucky. Still having Herceptin and Perjeta which brings its own minor SE's.

Hope all goes well for everyone.  Marli x

dillybub

Hi 

I started my first FEC last Friday, today is the first day I feel nearly normal, although I do feel tired and have indigestion!! Anyone got any tips.  I am having chemo every 3 weeks until February then either all lyph nodes removed under left arm or nodes and a masectomy!!! District nurse came out to give me injections to stimulate my marrow bone.

I have a grade 3 which was  missed after a clear mammogram in March. It is fast growing but so far my organs are clear, chemo first to kill anything they can't see first.

Weirdly I have not yet had melt down, it still feels surreal.

Any advice or information would be great

Thanks Dilys 

turnercat

Hi ladies I too am having chemo first. I have a grade three lump. On my second FEC. Currently a member of anyone starting chemo in September thread. Love to all xx
Janey1973

Hello Claire - I had my results yesterday also Stage 1 Grade 3 17mm invasive and am 42. Neo adjuvant chemo has been recommended for me due to family history and chance to gene test before surgery. It will give chance to decide whether to go for Mastectomy or Lumpectomy dependent on size and result at the end. I am still so confused looking pros and cons but from what I've been told and read the success rate fore before or after surgery is the same. Hope your treatment is going well. Jane xxx
xylogal

So far so good with side effects. Very tired for a couple of days and starting to lose body hair (had cold cap so head ok so far). Already dreading the T as a friend of mine is suffering with side effects from that.

They did originally suggest operating first but once they had actually found the source I think they realised that ideally they want to shrink it first. I am quite slim with small boobs and the lump cannot be felt. When I had my first examination the nurse mistook my ribs for a lump!

Also they want me to put on weight before operating. Think I might struggle with that although certainly have not lost my apetite and am doing zero exercise.

Liz

Purpleclare

Hi Liz,

already 4/6 chemo done. Started T after 3x FEC and beginning to feel the effects somewhat. I just wondered what else everyone else had been told about having chemo first because,so,many people on here are all post surgery.

How are you getting on with the FEC se's?

Clare

xylogal

Hi Clare

I'm having chemo first.

Have a 3.6mm lump which wasn't picked up on a mammogram and 2 swollen lymph nodes. Having 4 x FEC then 4 x T followed by rads then an operation. Had first FEC 13 days ago. Again this was because I was considered young (I'm 51)

Do you have a date for the chemo yet?

Liz

marli

Hello Clare. I was dx with lobular BC in 2009and had lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. I November 2014 was dx with a recurrance which showed up as inflamatory BC with a rash and extensive skin cnages under all of my breast. My surgeon felt that in order to save as much skin as possible I should have chemo first. On Christmas Eve I started 6 x Taxotare plus Perjeta and Herceptin. Even though the Herceptin had to be suspended after 4 sessions due to heart changes, the Onc is amazed at the results . He said normally this treatment would be given after surgery but because of having it first they are able to see the full effect. After mastectomy the biopsy showed only a 2mm speck of tumour, so little that the lab phoned the surgeon to say they could find nothing and was she sure there had been one.

Sorry doe being long-winded

evs_71

My plan was to have chemo before surgery, but unfortunately my tumour was a stubborn one which didn't respond to the chemo, so I had my surgery brought forward. I'm now back on the chemo road, although only one more to go. Don't be disheartened by my story though, as I know of several ladies who had a fabulous response to the chemo and didn't require as big an op, and one lady had a complete pathological response!! So it does work, I was just unlucky xx
Purpleclare

Anyone else having Neo adjuvant Chemotherapy?

Just interested to see if anyone else is having their chemo before surgery? Most of the posts I see are from people that have already had their surgery. Because I am still young (so glad 40 is considered young here) they have said they prefer to do it this way so they know what will affect the tumour and hopefully shrink it before surgery so they can do a smaller op.

Also interested to see what other people having treatment this way round have been told. 

Oh by the way dx was Stage 1 Grade 3 21mm invasive HER2+ hormone -ve.

Clare