71.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having Neo adjuvant Chemotherapy?

64 REPLIES 64
Missy1

Re: Anyone else having Neo adjuvant Chemotherapy?

Thanks Bonnie74.  I don't have children, but have 3 horses!  Start chemo now on friday - all the waiting is most frustrating.  Seems weird to be looking forward to chemo but I just need to start this battle now. Nice to heard from someone almost out the other side! xxx

Bonnie74

Apologies for typos, blooming predictive text! X
Bonnie74

I haven't been on here for ages! Hope all ladies on here doing ok? Hi there Missy1! It seems bro adjuvant quite common now when a bit younger. Next Friday will be my last day of rads and therefore last day of active treatment! Can't quite believe I got here! It does seem like a marathon at the start, that it an extremely large mountain to climb! You'll get there though! I found the chemo the hardest part so was glad to get that under my belt first. Surgery was ok and rads been fine. I too had lymph node involvement and had full clearance and wide local excision. Was all ok and I healed pretty quickly with no dramas. Are you having full clearance? Do you have children? I work in primary school so have been off the whole time. You're right you do kind of loose yourself for a bit but you'll find your old self starts creeping bs known soon. Good luck for chemo next week. I haven't been on here a whole lot but when I have the ladies on here are great! I have found the 'Someone Like Me' service invaluable. Really supportive. Take care Bonnie xx
Missy1

Glad to have found this post as was worrying as to why they were sayig chemo first to me!  So thank you 🙂 I'm 44 and was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma with lymph node involvement.  Saw my oncologist today and start chemo next week.  Am not allowed to work through chemo as am a veterinary nurse so am feeling abit like my identity has been taken over by cancer- booooo.  Anyhow it is fab to hear from others a similar age and with similar stories so thanks again xxx

Pumpkin

Bonnie

Forgot to ask. How was it for you in hospital? How are you now? I've been told I'll be in from Fri to Mon. Having pre op checks this week. What do they do?

Pumpkin

Hi Bonnie. The throat and neck aches started on and off from day 2 of the treatment although an ultrasound and biopsy of my neck was negative of any spread but I still worry. 

Also saw my GP about it last week who seems sure that it's an effect of treatment but I am also now having really bad toothache and sore gums which is being treated with antibiotics - another side effect along with a broken crown! The sensation in my feet are nearly back to normal but my fingers are still at about 50pc. Took about two minutes to adjust the button in my son's school trousers because I couldn't feel it.

I have my op in two weeks. Surgeon tried to push it 8 weeks post chemo but I wasn't happy so now its 6 weeks. I went into the office

today for two team meetings for the first time in four months as I've been working at home. Was really hard seeing some people as we're in a large open plan floor but made sure I had the make up on! We also went out to lunch but I'm still avoiding my beloved smoked salmon. Being careful not to pick up any stomach upsets before the op.

Tomorrow I'm off to buy some front opening pjs. Got the bras.

Coxleonie

Im good thank you Bonnie. Have second round of chemo tomorrow so hoping it will be kind to me x did your lump disappear before surgery? Hoping your soreness subsides soon x
Bonnie74

Hi Pumpkin

Interesting that you mention throat and neck aches! I had that too. I just put it down to my Hickman line. I'm six weeks since last chemo now and I haven't experienced anything too lingering, just a few headaches and fatigue on and off. Hard to tell though, when you have surgery afterwards, as feeling tired and sore from that. I'm guessing you would have had your op by now? How are you? X

Bonnie74

Hiya

Yes, I agree with you about telling the children, just the worst. Mine too continue to be brave and happy, thankfully. I had wide local excision and full lymph clearance. That was sixteen days ago but unfortunately I had to go back in Friday as my results showed that there wasn't a clear margin reached. I'm a bit sore still but cracking on with my exercises and hoping it'll ease soon. Still popping the painkillers. How are getting on? Take care X

Coxleonie

Thanks Bonnie
It's good to hear someone who has been though it. I love 'doable' going to remember that! I'm 40 (chemo started on my birthday!) I took a balloon with me to take the edge off the situation and it worked! How are your children about it all? We have the same age children the same way round also. Telling mine was the worst thing I've ever had to do, I felt like I aas wrenching their childhood away from them but they were amazing and continue to be. My hands are already sore from all the alcohol in the anti bac but at least they are clean! What did you choose in surgery if you don't mind me asking? Hope you are not too sore? Xx
Pumpkin

Hi Bonnie

I finished FECT 3rd Feb and will be having a single MX in three weeks. Apart from the hands and feet issue and throat and neck aches, I found T easier than the FEC. However I wondered if you still have any side affects note after chemo?

Bonnie74

By the way, by reading your posts, I think we are the same age and I too have a 13 year old daughter, 10 year old too. X
Bonnie74

Hi Coxleonie

I finished 6XFEC-T in January (started in Sept and just had surgery ten days ago) and I too work in a school and haven't been to work because of the germ thing. You're right, very frustrating and I have found it quite a challenge not to be in work because of the boredom. I found the FEC not too bad but struggled a bit with the T part. I know lots of ladies on here the other way round so all depends on each individual I guess. The important thing for me to say though, is although some of the side effects can be unpleasant, it's doable. I actually reacted slightly differently to each cycle too. As regards to how careful you should be with germs, I made every visitor to the house anti-bac their hands on entering, my children too when they came home from school and tried to stay away from anyone with any bad colds etc. You're right though, it can make you a little obsessed with germs!  Wishing you lots of luck with the rest of chemo, take care and let me know how you are getting on. Bonnie x

Coxleonie

I feel relieved to have found this page as everyone I hear of seemed to go straight into surgery whereas I had chemotherapy first. I am just finishing week 2 of my first of six cycles. Is anyone else just started FEC T? My side affects have only been gripey tummy and fatigue especially in the first week but beginning to feel more normal now. I'm not allowwd to return to work as I work in a school which I'm finding a challenge as need to take my mind off things. I'm beginning to feel a bit paranoid about germs, how much should I be?
SuzyEB

Hi Bonnie, I'm doing well. I even managed to get to a wedding 1week after surgery. Rest as much as you can. I find that I am tiring quickly but still managing to walk each day. I've not had any pain after surgery but was quite tender over the whole area. The side of my chest and scar is numb and I am having a problem with a seroma. Radiotherapy is being delayed until the seroma has gone. I'm just happy that the aliens have gone. All the problems are small in comparison to that.
All the best with the surgery. It's much easier than chemo. Suz xxx
Bonnie74

Hi Suzy. Great to hear how you're progressing through the treatment. Wow, you're nearly there! I finished FEC-T three weeks ago and have surgery next Friday. My lump too is so small, very hard to find, now about 2mm. I'm having a wide local excision and full clearance (which I'm petrified about). How are you felling after surgery? xx
SuzyEB

Haven't posted here for a while but thought I'd pop back and let you kmow how it's going. I was on Fec T. 2 small tumours. Aftet 5 cycles both tumours had disappeared leaving no trace. Had a mastectomy 1.5 weeks ago. I am waitimg now for radiotherapy. Hang im there ladies. The chemo is working. You do feel rubbish a lot of the time but it is doing it's job. xx
Bonnie74

How's everyone getting on from this thread? X
MummyBreenster

Hi Bonnie,
Thank you for passing on your email. Yes I'm having FEC-T, and my next treatment is 29th Jan. I've had a funny few days since my first treatment. I know what you mean about it being harder the older the kids are, mine just keep asking if my hair is coming out yet!!! Hope your last chemo goes ok. Debbie x
Bonnie74

Hi Debbie

You question away, I really don't mind. I remember at the beginning of chemo I had so many of them and so many worries about how I was going to feel, how my family was going to cope etc. My girls are a bit older than yours (13 & 9) but sometimes think that may be more difficult because they tend to understand a lot more, questions things a lot more then worry more! Having said that they've both been brilliant and I'm hoping that nothing has worried them too much and they both seem to talk to me about worries as they come. My nine year old wasn't comfortable with me loosing my hair at first but now doesn't think about it much. Looking back over the last few cycles, as a family, we've coped well with a little bit of help here and there from friends and family. I found it quite hard at first to give up control, if you know what I mean (I like to do everything myself!) but I've pretty much managed to be in control all the way through. Yes, I've had days where I feel I can't move my head off the pillow, one overnight stay in hospital and a few really yucky feeling days but I've still been normal Mummy everyday, just bald! I didn't have an MRI half way through no, just clinical examinations. However, I wasn't worried too much as I could feel myself the difference just by feeling and so could they. I had an ultrasound last Tuesday which confirmed my lump has shrunk from 12mm to 4mm and no lymph nodes now enlarged! I'm having wide local incision and full clearance (as before chemo there was lymph node involvement). If you'd like to private message me you're more than welcome. My email is bonclarkson@aol.com. Take care and let me know when your next chemo is. Are you having FEC then T? Love Bonnie xx

MummyBreenster

Hi Bonnie, I've just read all of the posts, it sounds like most have had good response to having chemo first. Have you had a mri half way through? i saw you are 42 with 2 children, have you coped ok with juggling family life and having chemo at the same time? I am 43, I have 3 children, 6yr old boy and 4 year old boy/girl twins, I'm hoping things are going to be ok, but they are too young to understand, we have told them Mummy needs to have some special medicine and that her hair is going to fall out, we are just telling them one step at a time. My partner has his own business and tends to be away 2/3 nights most weeks but he is trying to be about for a full week after each cycle of chemo. I do have family and friends close by and everyone has offered there help.
After my first FEC on Friday, I was quite sick Friday night but I spoke to on call nurse and she told me what anti sickness drugs to take and I've been ok since Saturday lunch time. Atleast I know I'll be on different anti sickness drugs next cycle so hopefully that won't happen again. How have you been the day after you finish your steroids?
Sorry for all the questions!!! I bet you are so released to have your final chemo this week, then you can focus on your next stage.
Debbie xx
Bonnie74

Hi there Debbie

I am having my last chemo on Wednesday of next week and have my surgery either on Friday 5th or 12th Feb. Just waiting to hear this coming week. My surgeon said as long as I am well and my bloods ok, it would be three to four weeks after my last one. Interesting question about pain in the tumour! I haven't felt much, although after my third FEC I did keep having a kind of shooting pain where my lump was. Not sure whether this was the chemo attacking it or not, but may have been as I've had a good response. I found the FEC ok but have struggled on the Tax. I know all ladies are different and a lot of ladies say the other way round. I hope you are not suffering with side effects too much. Take care, Bonnie x

MummyBreenster

Hi,
I've just started neo adjuvant chemotheraphy, I had my first fec on Friday.
I'm interested to read how you are getting on.
My breast cancer is invasive Ductal grade 3. Do you feel any discomfort from you tumour? I'm feeling quite a bit at the minute, which is always worrying, my lump is behind my nipple which I know it is an area with lots of nerves, but I just wondered once the chemo starts attacking the tumour do you feel anything???
Also how long is the wait between chemo finishing and surgery?
Debbie xx
turnercat

Tumour has shrunk and therefore only need a lumpectomy rather than an mx. So the Chemo has worked and it means less invasive surgery. Op in February and then rads xxxx
Bonnie74

Great, yes let us know how you get on Tues!?I'm liking the news ladies that second T a bit better. Just seen Oncologist and she has increased my GCSF injections from 5 days to 7 days. She's not going to decrease dose of T though so I guess I just have to grit my teeth and get through it. At least after Weds, I can finally say, 'just one more!' X
lisajane7878

I'm off today for my mammogram to see if it's shrunk. I can't feel a thing now so sure it must have. I have my last T on Tuesday so should be ok Christmas Day. My second t was much easier than the first although the tiredness has lingered a bit. But that could be me being busy with Christmas plus I don't sleep great as getting hot flushes! Xx
turnercat

Will keep you updated and letvyou know how the app goes on Tuesday xd
turnercat

Hi Bonnie fear not. I ended up being admitted to hospital on my first FEC with neutropeanic and streptococcal. I also had the same with my first T and terrible constipation due to the fact that I was talking co-codermal. The second has been better however what we fail to realise us that the chemo is accumulative so we do feel a little bit more poorly towards the end. I think you just have to give in and rest. Xxxx
Bonnie74

Hi Turnercat, that's great news about shrinkage and that you are so near the end. I have number five on Weds, 23rd unfortunately but have the last one on 13th Jan firmly on my horizon! I had a horrible time on first Tax which got me admitted to hospital and I ended up neutropenic. I'm so keeping everything crossed it doesn't happen this time round as, for my kids, I don't want to be in hospital over Xmas. I have an appointment early Jan to discuss surgery for Feb. I too can't feel my lump at all now but would love a scan just to see. Maybe I'll ask tomorrow when I see oncologists? Any tips on how to manage 2nd Tax? I'm so scared of feeling that poorly again, I feel like running away! Lol Love Bonnie xx

turnercat

Hi ladies just thought id pop back on here to let you know that I am on my 5th cycle of chemo with my last being 30th December. Just after my fourth chemo I had an MRI scan and my grade 3 Tumor is shrinking. I have an appointment on Tuesday with onc and breast surgeon to discuss op. Keep the faith ladies and believe xx
Bonnie74

Hi ladies, just popped on her to see how you all are? I'm three down, three to go. First Tax 2nd Dec for me! Worried about change in drugs although 3rd FEC has been the worst and hoping I'll be glad to see the back of it. Love Bonnie
lisajane7878

I'm another one having chemo first. Have had 3 fec and one t so far. Side effects have been manageable really. Can't feel my lump anymore so that's reassuring too. I have to be honest I stil do question them deciding to do it this way round but feel they know best. I think due to it being grade 3 they want to get a hold of it. I have never been told what stage and that terrifies me as the survival rates change drastically xx
Janey1973

Hi Bonnie lovely that your quite close. Where are you having your treatment?
I am 8 days into my first cycle but ended up in hospital last night with a fever. Nightmare home now tho with anti biotics. Do not like the nights at the moment. This is so not like me I need to get a grip. Will be glad to get to next Monday and see the oncologist to talk about this round.

How are you doing? Which round are you on now. Hope all going ok xxx
Bonnie74

I'm not too far away from you Jane, Swindon x
Bonnie74

Wow Jane, I'm EXACTLY the same as you what with the wobbles in the early hours. It's just the worst time. I've turned into the biggest worrier ever! Every little niggle I wonder if I should ring? My poor husband I'm probably driving him crazy. Where are you in treatment. Take care everybody, Bonnie X
Janey1973

Over the forum Filomena you are never far away from help and support no matter where we are in the country. I'm ok. Been a bit up and down and paranoid about how I should be feeling and at what point should you call unit. Especially in the early hours/morning I have a little wobble but give myself a talking to. I know they are there if I need to call. With regards to side effects it has been ok and nausea managed well with the anti sickness. I have managed to eat well and did get out a bit on Thursday for my temporary hair appt. I think I may have done too much as didn't feel great yesterday so totally slowed down today. The weather was perfect for that. You can do this but take each a step at a time
Lovely to hear from you Bobby! You hit the nail on the head re sitting down with 2 children but my 2 have been great. Little digs every now and again about having to do a bit more but overall I am so so proud of them. Don't like asking for help but know I'm going to have to suck it up and give in. So used to doing stuff for others. Take care and keep well. Looking forward to more chats. Jane xxxxx
Bonnie74

Hi Filomena, so sorry to hear your diagnosis too. I've just done two cycles of FEC and coped ok. The side effects I've had have been manageable and nothing has prevented me from carrying on almost normally (apart from not going to work, which I hate, I teach primary and LOVE my job) everyday. I do get tired really quickly and my family tell me off for not resting enough but with two daughters it's hard for me not to be busy. Any side effects I had the first time I was ready for them with the right meds second time round. I have last of FEC next Weds and I'm now worried about different side effects on Tax. I'm trying to be positive and open minded I can cope ok. It's good you are on here, I pop on here when I'm feeling worried about something and the support is amazing, such wonderful ladies on here! Good luck and be strong X
Filomenapapa

Ahh that's a shame xx how was your first one? How you feeling? Xx
Janey1973

Unfortunately not. I'm in Bristol xx
Filomenapapa

I hope all goes well for you xx do you live in Kent by any chance? Xx
Filomenapapa

Thank you so much that lovely of you
Janey1973

Hi Filomena. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis but joining the forum really does help and there are loads of lovely ladies here to offer you all the help and support you need. It looks like we have the same C mine is also grade 3 invasive. I started my treatment last Monday on FEC-T and it is do able. You can do it we are all here to support each other. The week has been up and down I have to say but taking each day as it comes I have found helps. There is a great forum in the Chemo Monthly Threads for November ladies lots of comments on there and tips as well. We are all here for each other to get us through this journey. Take care of yourself. Jane xxxx
marli

As my BC was inflammatory I had an extensive rash and thickened skin over about 50% of breast and I could see it spreading.

After only 2 sessions of Taxotare, Herceptin and Perjeta it had shrunk dramatically. I found this so reassuring and biopsy after surgery confirmed excellent results with only 2mm tumour found.

It is scary having to put such faith in the treatment. Good luck ladies  Marli x

Filomenapapa

Hi all my name is Filomena I'm 32 and have been diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer! I start chemotherapy on Monday and am so nervous about how I will feel? Is it doable? I'm having fec t.I have been reading some of your posts I think your all amazing ladies and admire your strength I'm not too strong and scared can anyone help with how it will be? Thank you filomena
Bonnie74

Ahhhh, thanks Turnercat didn't know that. Makes me feel a little more secure in my order of treatment I guess. I have now reminded the Oncologist about maybe testing half way through to see if it's working? Have an appointment next Tues. Having my last FEC next Weds then on to 3XT. Coped ok on the FEC, although oral thrush been a right pain and the first few days after I feel odd/ sick. Heard so many things about the T side of things, really fretting about it. Clare, I had full body scan then bone scan. Standard at my hospital apparently at diagnosis stage. Bonnie xx
turnercat

Hi Janey and Bonnie apparently in the breast cancer guidelines it is best practice to have chemo prior to Surgery. Especially if you are young. I too was worried that the tumour would carry on growing but have been assured by my onc that the chemo will be killing / shrinking it.
Janey1973

Hi Bonnie - we are I'm 42 and have 2 children 12 and 8. My initial biopsy didn't show any node involvement but it's the unknown as only had an MRI scan this week and won't know for sure until surgery. I know that chemo will cover the whole body but always at the back of my mind. What other scans have you had? I'm having chemo before due to family history and time to have genetic test to determine route for surgery but as it takes so long couldn't wait so this was suggested.
Am sure it was the right route for you but maybe talk to your BCN about your concern about progress through chemo. How are you coping with it? Any good tips. Are you having FEC-T? I'm nervous for Monday. Having the PICC line fitted. It the unknown I know all the side effects but with 2 children to protect I'm trying to get as prepared as I possible can. Sending big hugs Jane xx
Bonnie74

Hi Jane

Thank you for replying. I'm presuming by your user name you may be around the same age as me too? I got my diagnosis on 3rd Sept and like you waited a few weeks (filled with appointments and tears) before any treatment started. Because of lymph node involvement it was recommended that i have the chemo first. I had no idea at the time whether having the chemo first was the right decision or not? All my other scans showed up clear so i know, right now it hasn't spread so guess that way round is a better idea? What was the reason why you are having chemo first? I'm wishing you all the luck with your first cycle. How are you feeling about it? Your major worries?

Take care and lovely to hear from you, Bonnie x

Janey1973

Hi Bonnie. How are you feeling after your second cycle? I have my first on Monday. Our C's are quite similar and I'm also having chemo first. Had the clip fitted so that hopefully the lump will shrink considerably so they will know where to operate. I've been told I'll have an appt to see oncologist after each cycle but not sure what that will entail. I like you worry that the lump is there. It's nearly 4 weeks since my diagnosis and nothing to date. Lots of appts but worry no treatment. I am so glad it's starting next week! I can totally understand your worry but I've been told that our type of C does normally respond well to chemo. Will keep positive for you and hope your coping well. Take care Jane xx
Bonnie74

Hi there lovely ladies

Was just browsing on the forum and this thread from Clare caught my eye. I'm a mum of two and 41. I too am having chemo first and had my 2nd cycle last Wed. So far I only know I have Grade 2, 1.2mm invasive ductal with lymph node involvement, oestrogen positive, er neg. My scans have come back clear and the surgeon recommended chemo first to treat the whole body first, before surgery. Sometimes, this worries me as I'm always aware of the the lump still there, maybe growing, maybe not? My oncologist  informed me last meeting that I may not get a check to see if chemo has worked until the end of chemo. What's others experience of this? I had a marker put in my breast prior to chemo for the reason of checking progress I thought? I worry everyday that the chemo isn't working and things inside of me getting worse! Hoping you are all coping well with side effects. Bonnie