72.8K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having surgery in September ?

102 REPLIES 102
jenny12m

Re: Anyone else having surgery in September ?

Hi Rae - I work from Police HQ at Stanborough Lakes and would love to meet for lunch in December. My main office is in Stevenage but I am at HQ nearly every week for meetings. I'll have a look at my diary and see when I have scheduled meetings in December. I'll let you know nearer the time.
I've heard that hair grows back curly. I'm dreading having short hair, mine has been long since I was 18. Why do your eye brows look so dark, does it just seem that way as you have not had them for a few months?
No TV for me tonight. I had flu, HiB and MenC vaccines today in anticipation of the chemo and am feeling a bit rough tonight so am going to bed early. Have on Consultant appt for 5th Nov.
Love from Jen x
raechi

Hey Jen,
ooh so we work in the same place, well in welwyn. I am based in shire park so usually drive there most days. I will be having radiotherapy before I go back to the office but aim to start going back in December all being well ( just in time for tha Xmas parties). If you ever fancy meeting for lunch or something let me know. 🙂 all depends when you start chemo I guess.
I am holding out now for when i can have my first proper hair cut. It's all growing a bit mentally and my eyebrows look so dark! I am waiting to see if it goes curly.
right, am off to feel totally inadequate and watch university challenge I recorded!
Rae
x

jenny12m

Hi Jellymould - sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hope you get your onc appointment soon.
Phil - glad to hear you are back. I held onto a friend when I first starting walking again, but I cannot walk as far as Rae, I can only do about a mile. Sounds impressive that you work in TV. I love the trashy American comedies like Two and a Half Men, Anger Management, Scrubs and my teenage son like the Big Bang theory. Impressive that you got your onc appointment through so quickly. Let us know how it goes.
Rae - good to hear you are well on the way to recovery. Our HQ is in WGC and so is my hospital: QE2, but I will go to the Lister in Stevenage for the chemo. That was sooo interesting about the nose hair. I read out your message to my boys (I did not read out my message about pubes!) Do you have to have your radiotherapy before you go back to work?
I am officially back at work today, albeit on reduced hours, and my laptop so that I can work from home was delivered today. Still waiting for my onc appt. Got my flu jab tomorrow, await prosthesis appt, wig appt, scan appt and I'm sure there was something else....
Love from Jen x
raechi

Oh fab. I really like some of the Scandinavian drama. I loved the bridge when it was on. I keep meaning to watch 'homeland'
i am managing walks now. Only 2 or 3 miles mind you. I was told chemo fatigue can last about a year! Gutting as I was used to love being active.
enjoy the beach
:-)

PhilBM

There is only so much "A Place in the Sun' anyone could watch 🙂
I work on the technical side of TV/VoD but I'm lucky though as I get lots of preview copies of US TV - so I'm quite ahead on things like 'Homeland', 'Dexter' etc.
I'm quite keen to get to the point where I can go for walks, I like right new to the beach but haven't felt up to it for a while now, maybe this week.
raechi

Hey phil,
nice to hear from you and that you are on the mend. and so glad your drain is out. Yay 🙂
will be interesting to see what chemo you have. Good luck with the onc on Wednesday.
I know what you mean re daytime tv. there is only so much I can stomach. I have even made it through all the series of house!
do you work on anything fun?
keep us posted as to how you get on.
rae
x

PhilBM

Hi all, finally had my drain out - it had been sat on a nerve so I hated it - very glad it's out and it meant I didn't need the morphine, so I feel much more like myself and could sleep properly last night - even the scar's not looking too bad, feels odd though. First Onc meeting this Wednesday, imagine I'll be starting that in say 2/3 weeks - men have BC so much easier than women, we don't care about our moobs or our hair - in fact if/when mine falls out I'm just going to use it as an excuse to jump the queues at some theme parks! Might even do a spot of work next week, just check my email etc, deal with the 'screamers' - getting a bit bored of daytime TV (ironic given I work in TV 🙂 ). So I'm a lot happier than I was a week ago, hope everything's getting better for everyone else here too.
raechi

Jen,
you are right. You lose ALL body hair even nose and arm air. It's weird as you don't realise how much nose hair stops your nose from running. and it was quite nice not to worry about shaving my armpits and legs!
I would say in total I was with out eyebrows and lashes for about 2 months. I had the odd straggler that hung on in there for dear life. Also my head hair started to grow back before I finished my Tax. So I would say it fell out 14 days after cycle 1 and started to grow back after cycle 4. I was told Tax may make me lose it again but it didn't fall out.

any questions re chemo as I said feel free to ask. The one thing to really remember is we are all different on it. Some people have a tougher time than otthink and they tell you ALL e side effects. Some of which you may never get.

So when does your chemo start, do you know?

they are planning my back to work now.....I have been working at home as I have a long commute to welwyn garden city. Looks like I will be back in the office in December :-o. That will be a shock to the system.

take care,
Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi jen, my triple neg cancer is the cancer that doesn't respond to any other treatment bar chemo, its the bc that is the most aggressive and has the highest risk factor for coming back, but the longer that you stay ned the better the chances of it never coming back, so its a ticking time bomb for the 1st 3 years.
jenny12m

Hi ladies (and Phil if you're back) - I got my results last week and all the surgery is done! Yeah! Very pleased to move onto the next stage - chemo. I am sure that I won't feel that way when it makes me poorly, but I am keen to move onto the next stage as I have been stuck at the sugery stage since June. Sooner it starts, sooner it can finish, is what I reckon.
Stevie - I have been told I have to wait for 6 weeks post surgery for the prosthesis fitting appointment, but the bcn gave me the number to chase if not heard. Have my flu vaccine booked for this week.
Jelly - like you I now await the oncologist appointment. What does triple negative mean? I have to have the chemo because the IDC spread to my lymph nodes. How did your meeting go with your boss? Mine phoned me last week with two really pathetic work queries, apologised for having an infection and hence I have not had any welfare visit.
Rae - I met an oncology nurse when I was told I had to have a mx and she reckoned I would be having FEC x3 and T x3. No cold cap at my hospital in Stevenage. I had heard you lose head hair, eye lashes and eyebrows, but didn't realise that they would happen at different times. Does that mean that you lacked eye lashes and eye brows for approx 4 months? I have even heard your pubes fall out! Of course, why would they stay!
Love from Jen x
raechi

Jelly - i know you asked Stevie, but i just thought i would add i did lose my hair (I had FEC-T). 3 cycles of FEC and 3 cycles of T. I lost my hair after cycle 1, eyebrows and eyelashes after cycle 5 and it has all come back now (i am 3 months post chemo now).
I didnt have the chance to use the cold cap, but i know some ladies have used that successfully...
I did have a wig but never wore it as it used to drive me mad! so i just went commando....
Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

stevie what chemo did you have and did your hair fall out?
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rae - glad you're back at work now. I've started on a phased return, but have just caught a vile cold, so back home nursing that now!
Jenny - I too have managed to get a bra on now - I don't feel as sore in the area now. I have an old sports bra which holds in place very well although I dont have a lot of confidence in the softie. Dont have an appointment for the prosthetic until late november, so just have to manage. On the plus side, I've been pressing on with the exercises and am getting better and higher. Hope your results are ok...
I saw the oncologist today and he told me I shouldn't be too gentle when I meet resistance/tightness in the exercises. He said if I had physio they would push me harder, so I'm taking the advice I got when I did yoga and am going into the initial tight feeling, holding for a few seconds and then pushing a little further...seems to be working so far...
Jelly - I'm so sorry about your results. Like Rae, I had my chemo first so am happy to help if I can. Depends on the drug mix you're prescribed, I think. I was diagnosed with aggressive tumour (stage 3) which meant chemo first and the results were very good. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time with your boss as well. You really don't need that going into chemo. You could suggest she checks out this site to get a better idea of how hard it is...
Big hugs to all of you..
raechi

Awwww Jelly - i am sorry to hear that. Have they said what chemo you are having and when you start.
I have had my chemo already so if you do have any questions i can help with i definitely will.
Sending you a big hug.
Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi jenny got my results im stage 3 triple neg, gutted. need to have chemo and rads and take it from there. waiting to see the onc now. thanks for all the support.
jenny12m

Hi jellymould
Is your boss not visiting you at home? Bosses can do a welfare visit to check you are OK. Be honest about how you feel. You need the time to recover and if you don't have that time, you may go back to work too soon, and then you feel worse in the long term.
Fingers crossed for our results today and for your meeting with your boss tomorrow.
Love from Jen x
Guest user
Not applicable

hi jenny i work with the elderly on 12 night shift duties, there are no light duties due to staff shortages, i just feel like she is quizzing me unneccessarily, i feel like she is not asking me out of concern for my well being but that i am a number on a piece of paper. i am waiting to hear for oc health. at the moment i feel great but ive only had the surgery and i think she wants to keep seeing me through out the time im off and to be honest i would rather just be at home
jenny12m

Hi Rae - glad to hear you are back at work. I miss work. I am signed off until Friday so I have asked my colleague to bring me a laptop next Monday so that I can work from home for a bit. I ony work 6 hours days so I will only do 2-3 hours per day to start with. The week after is half term and I have already booked leave. I heard about having to lift your arm above your head for the radiotherapy. I remember when I had the axillary clearance (like Phil has just had) as a separate op, but my arm was stiff for a quite a bit. You've had that at the same time as your mx and the combination might mean that your arm movement take a bit longer. I hope the physio is able to help you get some movement back.
Hi Jelly - sorry to hear about your boss - I guess you can't work from home, and your shifts are long too. What do you think she expects? I have been going back to work between operations because that was my choice, but my Occupational Health Department have suggested I have 6 months off solid when I start my chemo. I guess your job is more physical and hence you have been signed off for sick for 6 months. But remember, you don't have to tell your boss any personal information if you don't want to. I work in HR so if you have any HR related questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I have shared personal information with my boss, but that's partly because she shared with me first. She had a hysterectomy when she was 32 because of ovarian cancer. I said to her recently, between us we will have 3 boobs and one uterus! Do you think you rboss might suggest that you come back before 6 months if she can get you light duties? A lot of our staff work light duties due to sickness because of the pyhsical nature of the job.
Hi Stevieb - how are you getting on this week? I have started to wear bras again, but my softie is so light that the bra rides up on that side. I'm now eager to get my chicken fillet prothesis.
Love from Jen x
raechi

Hello All,
Just checking in again... and saying hi 🙂
Phil - sorry to hear you have to have a full clearance. I had mine now 5 weeks ago. Main thing i had is aching in the arm. i guess the bummer afterwards is the risk of lymphodema...just no heavy lifting and things like that... it does seem a bit random what causes lymphodema though as i know a lady that got it from painting a garden chair! Really hope the Op went well amd you are doing ok...
Stevie and Jenny - i feel your pain re: frustration. My radiotherapy is not going to happen until November now as i cant move my arm enough above my head. Its still not very strong yet despite me doing the exercises. I saw my Onc on Friday though and he said if it didnt get better this week he would refer me to physio. Its not so sore though which is a bonus..
Daisy - feel free to ask any questions you like. I hadnt had surgery before either. I had a mastectomy (no recon) with a full node clearance. My op was a few hours long and i was in hospital 5 days. A bit longer than normal but i was draining quite a bit and didnt want to go home with drains in (my choice). A lot of ladies just want to get home and are usually allowed out within 24 hours. I am now back working post mx (i have been for 2 weeks) and trying as much as possible to use my arm as normal. It doesnt feel quite so strong, but i am getting there. One thing i would recommend is make sure you take things in clothes wise that button up down the front initially as i struggled to get anything over my head...plus you may have drains in so will need to have access to those....
JElly - sorry to see you boss isnt being supportive. I am very lucky my occupational health department have been great and support everything to do with my cancer treatment. They have even dealt with my boss at times so i dont have to. not that i dont get on with him..its just to take the pressure off me. Do you have anyone like that, that can help you? May be your boss is trying to understand? i hpoe it goes well though...
Well - i better get back to work... Love to all
Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi jenny im doing great but i have to have a meeting with my boss the day after my results its the last thing i want to do, somehow i feel like my sick note that states 6 months sick leave due to breast cancer isn't enough for her, she wants the ins and outs of everthing, and thanks for the support
jenny12m

Hi Daisy - sorry to hear that you have to have surgery. Prior to the cancer, I had never had any surgery. Please do not worry too much about being in hosptial. The staff are fantastic, and if you have any worries - do ask them. I rang my breast care nurse nearly every week and then when I saw her last time, I apologised for asking so many questions. She told me she did not mind, but she did worry about those patients who don't phone her as they might be bottling up their feelings. How long you stay in depends on how big the operation. For a lumpectomy it may only be overnight, for a mastectomy, it may be one or two nights (I was one night but my friend was 2 nights). If you have a surgical drain, the amount of fluid in the drain determines when you can go home. Take a book or magazines with you, and/or ipod, as there is a lot of waiting around and it gives you something to do.
Hi jelly mould - how are you doing this week? I saw in another thread that your boss is not very supportive. Try and concerntrate on taking things easy whilst you are signed off work.
Love from Jen x
Guest user
Not applicable

hi daisy im not sure what surgery you are having but from my expierience, i had a lumpectomy also known as a WLE and a sentinol node biopsy. i was in theatre for an hour and was home the same day. the wound has been fine, all dressings off within 10 days and just slight soreness. i too had never had surgery and was worried but after having mine its fine and you will be well looked after. hope this helps a little and sorry to see you on this journey but this forum is a great place to be, we are all going throught the same thing together. x
Jo_BCC

Hi Daisy123,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you'll get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site. While you are waiting for reuplies I've put for you below links to some of BCC's publications you may find helpful. Also our team on the helpline are only a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone away from the family. No question is a silly question, they're here to support you. 0808 800 6000.

BC and you:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

Resource pack:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

I hope these help, take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

hello im new here and scared iv been told iv got to have a surgery idont know whats going to happen iv never had surgery before and how long after il be in hospital can some one give me some information thank you my heads every were thank you
jenny12m

Hi Stevie b - I know how you feel about the frustration. I can move my arm OK so started to put out the washing on the line this afternoon. Whilst I could not lift the basket of wet clothes, I could go in and out, one item at a time. After 4 items I was exhausted and remembered that my friend would arrive in 30 mins. I went to lie down and wait for her and ask her to finish putting the washing on the line. How pathetic! My dressings came off yesterday and like you, I have a look in the mirror each morning after my shower to see how it looks and get used to it. I am still very bruised and am taking arnica together with the paracetamol for the pain.
Phil - sorry to hear about your results. I have had an axillary node clearance in early August, now it just seems like another op and I hope you are recovering at home soon.
Jelly - fingers crossed for our results on Weds.
Advice from anyone - when did you stop taking the paracetamol for the pain following mx? I take it if I feel uncomfortable, but am still taking it 4 times a day (1 week on). Am I trying to run before I can walk?
Love from Jen x
Guest user
Not applicable

not good news phil, i dont back for my results till next wed, it will of been 2 and half weeks since my op. all the best for tomorrow phil
PhilBM

I'm a guy who had to have a mastectomy late September, just had all the pathology back today and it has spread to my lymph nodes so I've got to go in again tomorrow to have them all ripped out - bit...down I guess, I'm sure you can imagine - but we're on this ride, can't get off can we. Ah well.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls,
I have got so much reassurance from reading your comments. Seems we are all struggling with some aspect of surgery here and I now don't feel that I am anything unusual! Its so easy to over extend yourself and the inability to do the smallest task has been so frustrating...
Its been over 4 weeks now and I am feeling much stronger, have started working again but I'm still struggling with exercises. My arm does not seem to be getting any higher, there is a lot of tightness and tenderness in the upper arm still...and I am due to see the oncologist about radiotherapy next week!
jellymould and Phil - I hope you've managed to get the dressings off now. It took a while to get the last of mine off and it wasn't the nicest thing to do. I fetched the last few off in the shower...but left them until they eased off without pulling. And it took a while before I got all the sticky residue off too! Horrible stuff.
I now feel much better about looking at the wound. I make myself confront it each morning and it isn't as bad as I though it would be. It's really helped to have the support of family and friends who still treat me the same way they always have!
Thanks so much for this conversation thread...wish I'd been back on here more often.
Here's to us!
jenny12m

Hello ladies. I am back home. I had the mx at 2.30pm on Thursday and was home at 6pm on Friday. I got really lucky and my drain had less than 50mls so it could come out after 24 hours. Had morphine on Thursday - well that was lovely, had two codine since, otherwise coping on regular ibuprufen and paracetamol. I feel uncomfortable in the mornings after 8 hours of no pain killers, it reminded me of after my boys were born and your milk comes in on day 3 and your boobs go numb (the mums will know what I mean). I move very slowly but have spent most of the weekend in bed. My mum moved in to look after me and my boys as I am a single parent. She went home this evening.
Jellymould/Phil - I know what you mean about the dressings, the sticky part seems to pull the skin on my chest. At least they are waterproof and so I had a shower today, shaved my legs and felt a bit more human. Having spent the weekend in bed I will try going for a short walk with my neighbour tomorrow morning.
Rae - thanks for the advice about the port for chemo. Hope you had a great weekend away. Good news on your path report. My friend who had breast cancer last year said to put loads of E45 cream all over your boob throughout the radiotherapy.
Jellymould - I get my results on 17th too. You have my admiration for working with the elderly. I found the ward very diffiult as the elderly patients were very confused and were shouting for most of the night because of confusion and/or pain. I did not sleep a wink and was grateful to get home after one night. Have slept like a log since being at home.
Not sure how I feel about losing a boob, I have my softie fitted to my bra so you cannot see any difference visually, but not sure how I am going to feel when the dressings come off. I am very bruised under the dressings. When I first got changed into my nightie, I did not like the flat look on the one side, so since I had antiicipated being in for 5 days, I had lots of spare pants and so the nurse helped me put on the cheap Primark bra and I stuffed it with two pants so that I looked 'even' when the boys came to visit. I think I'm not really fussed about losing a boob, I will get my cleavage back eventually when I have the reconstruction, otherwise, with clothes on, no one can tell the difference. I like Rae's OB description, you have to laugh about our situations, at least the cancer is out.
Patchit

Hi Rae

That's fantastic news about your path results! Brilliant! have a lovely weekend away and I can promise you that rads is a breeze after chemo and an op!

Love

Joan xxx

raechi

Phil - that made me smile 🙂
I was told of its too tough to pull it off dont pull too hard...
x

Guest user
Not applicable

lol phil, scary stuff taking the bandages off, sticky ribs
PhilBM

They put this kind of sticky cling-film all over me, feel like I should add some marinade and sit in the fridge for four hours - I think I'm supposed to take it off this weekend (bit scared to be honest).
raechi

Oooooh definitely don't pull them off then. My surgeon took mine off when I went to see him for a check up on Monday. That was 3 weeks post op.
they do drive you mad though I agree!
X

Guest user
Not applicable

hi raechi, ive taken one off but for some reason the WLE site is still not completly healed, ive tried taking the steristrips off and my skin is coming away from each other.
raechi

Can they not come off? I don't have any on any more. X

Guest user
Not applicable

omg im sick of these dressings now, my skin is being ripped to shreds, im in more pain from the dressing tape than the actual surgery
raechi

Jen - best of luck for your op today...hope all goes well...
I am not sure why my previous post posted so many times!

raechi

Hello lovely ladies,
Just me checking in again...
I finally got my pathology results..well i had chemo first so it was really to see if the chemo had done its job.. I am please to say it did. I am pleased to say that the cancer had shrunk to less than 5% of its original size. The pathology report said there was only odd cells left no lumps! Also there was no cancer left in my lymph nodes. They can tell where it had been though and it had spread to 9 out of 22 they removed. Outcome is i will need to have radiotherapy but i prepared myself for that. So no big surprises..
I had my Herceptin yesterday and feel good today. They do give me IV piriton beforehand which makes me sleepy...so working yesterday afternoon was a write off!
We are now going away on Friday for a few days before i start radiotherapy. Time to relax and let our hair down 🙂
Jenny - i had a port fitted. They are really good. I had mine after my first lot of chemo as my veins were rubbish (and i needed herceptin - which is 19 infusions). The only down side for me was that i developed a clot in my right arm pit (portacath side) due to the port, chemo and cancer. SO i am on blood thinning injections (and will be for 6 months). That said - i dont regert having it. They put it in under local anaesthetic. It didnt hurt at all and made chemo delivery a lot easier. Plus its under the skin so does not get in the way when you shower etc...
Margaret - nice to see you. I am glad you are recovering well...I am back working this week (from home). It helps me keep my sanity so i can understand you wanting to get back to it..
JElly - also good to see you are healing well and on the mend..
Phil - i know what you mean about doing too much. I think we start to feel better and push ourselves. And if you are anything like me - i am stubborn and not very patient so i want my arm fixed yesterday 🙂
Love to everyone else - sending out lots of healing vibes...
Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi margaret nice to hear from you, im not sure if i need chemo or not, consultant has mentioned it but not given the final decision, i go back on the 17th for the results of the lumpectomy and sn biopsy. good luck with your treatment and take care x
Guest user
Not applicable

hi phil take it easy, i too have been going faster than my body went out shopping with my mum and dad and by 7.30pm was asleep in bed, im taking my dressings off today as my wounds are healing and are dry the sticky is so irritating, anyway still trying to take it easy. got my results on the 17th, fingers crossed its good news. and phil its ok to have a rant, thats what were here for. x
Janet_BCC

Posted on behalf of new user Margaret:

Hi Ladies I am new to this site but reading all your comments does help as it shows we are all different even though we have the same bc. I have had 2 ops wide area followed by node operation. I am waiting for my radiotherapy dates but do not have to have chemo, and have just started taking tamox. I am doing well wih some aches in affected sites but nothing too bad. I am hoping that I stay feeling well and can get back to work soon. Margaret

PhilBM

Hi Jellymould,
Well I was an idiot, after surgery on Friday I'd been getting very rapidly better so decided to pop out to the cinema on Tuesday afternoon, had a lovely day, even made a nice dinner for all in the evening and had little pain - everything was fine. Then I went to bed, I guess all the local painkillers must have all worn off in one go as I was up all night, zero sleep, lots of pain - been a proper grump all day (nothing too bad I suppose) and now I'm fed-up again. At least I get all the results from the surgery next Thursday plus my chemo schedule - so I've got that look forward to... Missing work too, isn't daytime TV terrible 🙂
Anyway, rant over, glad you seem well.
Hugs,
Phil.
Guest user
Not applicable

hi liz i too had a WLE and lymph node biopsy, but mine all went smoothly came home the same day no drains and healing nicely, you sound like you#ve had a rough time of it, hope it goes well for you
Lucy_BCC

Hi Liz and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read about the problems you have had since surgery, if you feel it would help to talk to one of our helpliners they are available 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000 for further support and information

I am posting a link to further support ideas and information from BCC which you may find useful over the coming months:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care

Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

I was diagnosed on the 7th/9th/12 , had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed from left breast on the 24th/9th but on the 27th i had terrible pain suddenly my breast went so hard and under my arm, went straight to hospital and had surgery again that night , had haematoma was kept in and on a drain, got home on the saturday and on sunday had another bleed and fill the bleed came through scar had a drain and back down to breast clinic next day with another needle drain at the moment i have a fill but its not so hard and bearable i hope it stays at bay until tues when i go for my results, anyone else torchured with haematoma i am worn out xxx liz
Guest user
Not applicable

Just a quickie - Jenny12m - my BCN suggested bra extenders - worked a treat for me and now my swelling has gone down I don't need them anymore 🙂

Best wishes all

Liz x
Guest user
Not applicable

hi jenny yea im a night nurse, work with the elderly. still doing my exercises every day, feel great. hate this waiting for the results though.
jenny12m

Hi again Rae - what results did you get yesterday? Will you have to have radiotherapy?
jenny12m

Hello StevieB - I am new here too but just joined in without asking first. Sorry ladies. My mastectomy is in 2 days.
Hello jellymould - glad to hear you are on the mend. Make sure you do your exercises. Are you a nurse that you work 12 hour shifts? My sister is a midwife who works 10 hour night shifts.
Hello Rae - thanks for the detail about chemo. The cover for the bcn last time I saw the surgeon, was an oncology nurse. She said I would probably have 3 x fec and 3 x T. I also managed to attend a local breast cancer support group and met a lady there who recommended the port in the chest rather than having to find veins in her arms every time she went to chemo. I was thinking about this as the veins are rubbish in my left arm, I was a blood donor (platelets) for over 26 years and they always had to take from my right arm each month because of having better veins there. Unfortunately, my right boob and arm are affected and hence the consideration for a port.
I'm well impressed with the size of your tumour. Mine was only 2.8cm hence the surgery first (all 4 of them), then chemo. It's amazing how different we all are and how our treatments vary depending on our personal circumstances.
Am starting to get a bit wobbly about the op on Thursday. I did not like staying in hospital for the last two ops (first one was a day case). I did not like being with all the sick people on the ward. Also worrying about what bras to take. Whilst I have the new M&S with pockets for the softie, the bcn said it might feel too tight if it's new. I did buy a couple of cheap Primark ones with no wire after the 2nd op, and she suggested bringing these to hospital. But my softie will fall out, I said. She told me to bring some safety pins. I also bought a could of cheap crop tops which are really comfortable after surgery. I think I am getting bra obsessed to distract me from my anxiety about the op. I'm sure it will be fine. Will be busy tomorrow washing the bathroom carpet (had a flood in there recently) and cleaning up before my mum moves in to look after my boys.