1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else on the Fast Forward trial?

29 REPLIES 29
Penny47

Re: Anyone else on the Fast Forward trial?

Thinking about cabbage leaves- I had to abandon mine when I got so sore 2 weeks after rads finished that I couldn't wear a bra and even a camisole was too tight under the arm where the burns were.  Any suggestions for fixing a cabbage leaf to an area the size of an A4 piece of paper? 

As for the smell I have experimented and on me at least the smell of a "sweet pea" commercial British-made cologne does cover the cabbagey smell quite well. 

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi I was also offered the fast forward option but decided to stick to the 3 weeks 15 sessions. It was not to bad other than the blisters and burns, on top of  my booby, under my arm and also under the booby. I am so sore and was using Diprobase cream at first and then when I finished the radiation they put me on Flamazine cream. This really helps and is so soothing. I find that putting cottonwool inside my bra really helps as I find my booby very sensitive to the touch of material of my bra. My cancer was estrogen related. and now I am on Anastrozole tablets to block out any estrogen. I must say I first went through denial before the op. and then anger and now I am so emotional due to the tablets I have to take and am expecting to hot flushes to roll in anytime soon. Hair loss is also on the cards so yes thats my lot. I am 59 and had a hysterectomy at the young age of 32 because of cancer cells in the womb. I really admire those of us who are strong and positive, but one thing is for sure we are not all the same and each one of us go through our journey differently.  I have excellent support from my husband and good friends and am just grateful I am still alive and discovered my cancer early. All the best to all of you whom are on the same journey as I am. All the best  flowers 2014

Janet_BCC
Moved:

Penny47

I'm on the FAST forward trial starting 30 Dec and I'm in the control group so I will be treated to 15 sessions.  Just hoping the weather doesn't let us down.  There is talk of coming to fetch us in a Land Rover if it's bad snow but that may only be the people in the test group arm of the trial!  Really up for it and grateful I was offered the chance!

mary32

Ah... all makes sense now!

I'm glad to hear that it's going well for you. Onwards and upwards!

Mary

dancingpip

Well  - the problem I have found is that being pretty small chested the cabbage leaf doesn't have much to curl around and, as I am wearing a  camisole rather than a bra, the leaf tends to gradually move southwards!  If I was more buxom I think it would stay put.

On the positive side - I have done day 3 of my double dose rads and the cabbage is definitely a soothing follow-up to the treatment.

On the negative side - I leave it there for the best part of the day and end up smelling like a school dining hall.  

Seeing the doctor tomorrow so i may ask for a gel equivalent.......... or she may just give me one without my asking because she can't stand the smell of the cabbage.  I'll let you know.

Hope all is well with you.

Pip

mary32

Hi Pip

I hope it went ok today. I am trying to imagine how a cabbage leaf on your breast can end up in your knickers! I have lead a sheltered life......

Mary

dancingpip

Hello Mary

I am glad that you have come through the treatment well.  Yes - being finished by Christmas is the thought that keeps me positive.  Thank you for the advice - I will work on the aqueous cream, water and exercise.

At the moment I am doing my own personal trial and wearing the cabbage leaf; I am intrigued as to how effective ( or ineffective) that may be;  I will keep everyone posted.

Firstly I must devise a way to stop it from slipping into my knickers!

Best wishes
Pip 

mary32

Hi

I finished rads a month ago. Although I was on the trail I was in the control group so had three weeks of zapping!

You should only use whatever creams your hospital has recommended. Mine said doublebase cream, others seem to prefer aqueous cream. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why some people are affected more than others.

All I can say is moisturize as much as you can, drinks lots of water and take lots of exercise.

I started to get red and spotty during my third week and the scars got a little bit burnt.

I was also very apprehensive and did not like the first couple of sessions but really, it's not too bad and you'll be all done in time for Christmas.

All the best

Mary

dancingpip

Many thanks for your speedy response, Freda61; you sound positive and have given me hope that I won't be burned to a frazzle. Hoping that everything continues well for you and that you enjoy the Festive Season. Best wishes P.
Freda61

Hi dancingpip

I am not on this trial, but have just finished 10 of 15 rads sessions on the Import High trial.  At my hospital they give you aqueous cream.  I was using bio oil on  my scars and they told me to stop while having rads.  Also only specific deodorants and not supposed to shave under arm.  I am very pale & burn easily in the sun too. My skin has just been a little sore, especially the nipple. My breast is often hot. I have also had stabbing pains inside my breast like after surgery, but this seems to be normal. Good luck with your treatment. 

June_BCC

Hello dancingpip

Welcome to the forums.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open again in the morning and normal times are Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

best wishes

June, moderator

dancingpip

I am starting my 5 days (slightly lower dose) rads tomorrow and I am so frightened about the prospect of sore skin.  My skin is always so sensitive that I wear factor 50 throughout the year anyway and I never touch soap - I only use emulsifying ointment.

I would be really grateful for advice about keeping the burn/ soreness at bay.  

Don't suppose I can use factor 50 before the treatment, can I ?

The

Thanks Mary it does sound good and I do think I will take part. It's good news it has been received so well and going to come in two years ahead of time. Thanks for your thoughts on this it has been helpful xxx Tracy
mary32

Hi

I am on this trail. I was happy with all the information I was given and would have been happy with the 1 week treatment, but i was put in the control group and have just finished my 3 weeks.

The extra follow-up is of benefit i think and of course for women in the future if the treatment can be cut from 3 weeks to 1 week it would be great to feel I have contributed to that.

One of the radiogaphers involved in this trail at my hospital told me last week that participation on this trail has gone so well that they will be able to complete 2 years early which is fantastic news.

You must read all the info and make your own decision.

Mary

The

Hi I was asked today if I would like to take part in the fast-forward trial. What does everyone think who has agreed to take part? Xxx Tracy
mary32

Hi

I'm in the control group so will be getting the standard 3 weeks.

Any top tips? The radiographers at my hospital recommend a gel called doublebase anyone else used this?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Deborah

Glad to hear rads went well for you, apart from the itchy nose syndrome 🙂 I finished rads yesterday, having had 5 sessions, no booster. So far so good, just a but itchy, sore and sensitive. I noticed my shoulder started to hurt and just sounded 'clunky' before I started rads, when I was doing stretches, but didn't seem particularly worse during the zaps. Do you still do the exercises? I hate doing them but force myself as they have really helped. I also saw a physio before rads and that helped too.

I know what you mean about the fatigue too, I didn't expect to get so tired so quickly after treatment. My onc registrar said that the rads will still be swirling around for a few weeks after you finish so I guess a couple of months might see things feeling more normal. My onc also said that chemo can still be in your system for 6 months too so add that to the mix, with surgery etc and it's no wonder we're knackered! I started my tamoxifen this morning so will get out and do some walking today as I'm now paranoid about DVT! I've noticed for the last couple of weeks my legs have been stiff and achy too. Take good care, sleep when you need to, and be very kind to yourself 🙂 Jo xx
Panacea

Hello everyone, I've not been checking in much these days.  Hope you've all got through the rads okay?  I finished on the 19th September.  I was on the 5 plus 5 booster arm, and it went surprisingly quickly.  I found it okay, apart from itchy nose syndrome that seemed to strike the minute the radiographers were out the door.  I had a bit of redness and itching, but the skin stayed in good shape.

I've had a lot of stiffness in my shoulder though.  Has anyone else had this?  it was nearly back to normal after the surgery so bit disappointed that its sore now.

And the fatigue hit me like a train last Monday.  I was at the GP for my tamoxifen prescription and feeling fine, and by the time I got home I was wiped out.  Does anyone know how long this lasts?  I'm due  back to work in November, I'll be needing an 8 o'clock bedtime.

I've also got hot flushes brough on by the chemo, but I suspect the Tamoxifen is  giving them a helping hand.  And then there's my sore and stiff legs.    Apart from that......

Deborah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Phylly

How have you been getting on with rads on the trial? I hope it's been ok. I am starting mine today and feeling very nervous. Worried how it will react with my implant amongst everything else, and I must have asked a thousand times if it is still ok to be on the trial having had implant reconstruction. Have been assured it is ok and that I'm still eligible for it but it's so hard to shake the worry off. Jo x
mary32

Hi, I have also decided to go on this trail, I won't find out what group I'm in till next week. I am already on Tam, have Been since June, with a three week break when I had my surgery. Interestingly I have found  the tiredness and hot flushes to be not so bad since I restarted.

I would be very interested to hear how you are all getting on, in particular what side effects you have experienced on the rads.

Mary

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm starting the Fast Forward Radiotherapy plan on Monday 30th Sept for 5 days, normal dose and 5 days booster.  Just about to start taking Tamaxifen but worried about the two things happening at the same time and not knowing whats what but thinking just have to get on with it :(. I had a dry mouth a lot during chemo and the doc gave me a perscription for a gel and toothpaste to use to alleviate symptoms, both quite soothing. 

Lexi42

Hi, I'm on the fast forward trial too , but got put in the normal 4 week group, so I have had 12 of my 20 blasts so far and I started tamoxifen on day 1 of rads. I too feel a bit low and my tongue is covered in white furry stuff. It looks like tongues do when you are very run down and under the weather. I thought it was oral thrush, but I have something for that and it doesn't seem to make a difference, i'm using mouth wash too. Also my mouth feels dry all the time even though I'm drinking loads of liquids. I'm hoping things will return to some kind of normal when I've got over the effects of the radiation, probably by end of October! At least my hairs growing back.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi 

I'm on the fast forward trial.  I also have a short arm so 5 days + 5 days boost.  I had my planning appointment week before last but as yet no date for start of radiotherapy.  I'd be interested to hear how you are getting on as I haven't started yet.

I am also taking Tamoxifen and I'm feeling really rather low at the moment.  I'm not sure if I'm actually feeling low because I'm feeling low or if I'm feeling low as  a side effect of Tamoxifen.  I've been taking it a little over a month now and wonder if you or anyone else on here is feeling like I am?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Panacea

I hope your rads went well this month so congrats on finishing. I have just signed up to take part in the trial and am in test group 2, one week treatment with the slightly lower dose. I won't be having a booster week as I had a MX. How did you find it? Like one of the ladies on here I am still a bit apprehensive of this 'slightly lower dose'. I guess if we have to have it we want to get the full whack of it! x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Deborah,
How did you get on in September with radiotherapy on the FAST trial. I've opted for it too and start on the 30th sept, same as you, 5 days then 5 more. Like some other posts its just dawning on me that I'll have to deal with the side effects from this disease for life, but not getting too hung up about it as I know others who are going through similar without too many issues, but i know its different for everyone. i'm in the changing of life style, diet and positive mind process phase that will be required to get through this but know this will be hard if I start getting symptoms I feel hard to deal with! I hate being unwell! If you get this post, let me know how you got on or are getting on now after the treatment, really appreciate your response 🙂 x
Dzyre

Hi

I did the fast forward treatment in March this year.  Weston Park Sheffield.

I chose to go through with this cos

a) I didn't need chemo

b) I didn't want to be travelling  back and forwards to the hospital daily for weeks.

I went through all the thoughts on the usual (what if it didn't work and the cancer came back was it my fault etc) but I was assured that I would be watched over for longer than usual.

So fingers crossed all goes well with whatever option you choose

(((hugs )))

Sandra

xx

cassie1

I have been offered the option to go on this trial but I'm worried that I may be put in ,
'the box' where rads are reduced, but I think the 10 year follow up is good
Penny47

Good luck Deborah!

Panacea

Anyone else on the Fast Forward trial?

Hello

I'm taking part in the Fast Forward trial, and wondered if there's anyone else on it?  I've been selected for the shorter regime, so I'm having 5 days plus 5 boosters.  I had my planning session last week, and start on 5 Sept.  I'm looking forward to getting on with another stage of treatment, and (at least at the moment) am not dreading it the way I did with the chemo.

Deborah