69911members
367510posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else starting rads this month (May)?

40 REPLIES 40

Re: Anyone else starting rads this month (May)?

Finished my rads in April , I used creams given by my hospital , but was also told by the staff to use Aloe Vera , a good 98% gel , not a cream with loads of other things in it . I found it worked very well . Also , if your skin is really hot and sore , put it in the fridge ...relief !!
Kris

Hi Polly lee,
Glad everything is going well for you. Have you tried the link the Lucy put on? It is very useful when you are just finishing treatment.
It really is weird how you feel after treatment. It is normal and we have all been there so do have a look at it.
Good luck you know we are all here in the same boat so don't struggle alone
Linda xx

i,ve had 12 of my 15 rads and my breast is sore but the nurses have been great giving me different creams to cope with it.seen the onc today and he was pleased with the way everything was going also a bcn who explained that it was normal to feel weepy now my treatment has nealy finished.

Hi Victoris
Welcome and sorry you have had to join us. Has your onc not given you hydrocortizone cream? Ask your doc for some if not. It helped me.
You may be feeling abandoned now rads have finished but read the previous comments and follow the link on the one from Lucy from breast cancer care. It explains all the feelings we have and help you deal with things also you know you are not alone.
Good luck
love Linda x

Hi, This is my first contribution. I've just finished 15 rads plus 5 boosters and wonder if anyone has used anything other that aqueous on itchy sore skin? I wondered if tea tree was any use as I've seen it used to good effect on weepy legs caused by poor circulation? The hosp says no - so any more suggestions? Also this hot weather is very trying - I haven't worn a bra for weeks and try to keep the skin exposed when I can.

Hi Tresanne
Yes they were giving me a higher dose which I knew but was told was 23 not the 15 I got, but its all done now.
Im just like you as I dont feel ready to return to work yet. I also feel guilty in wanting another few weeks off but as you say, you need to be 100% ready. I see GP a week tomorrow and am asking for 2 more weeks if she will let me have them.
No advice for you on the skin sorry, I just have red and itchy skin with little spots under the surface.
You take care and enjoy the summer with your children, my son is grown up and working so I don't have the opertunity to spend it with him or my hubby but I am relaxing whilst they are at work.
Linda xx

Thanks Lucy (BCC) for helping me out with the bad link posting.

I think I'll take a copy of the article to my Onc too when I see her in 4 weeks. I've always been made to feel a bit guilty that I've not been back at work during treatment by the hospital docs & I still feel like I want time out with the kids over the summer. Once you go back you have to be 100% ready to pull your weight & I'm just not there yet.

How confusing for you Linda, getting conflicting info would have worried me. Were you having a double dose. I chatted to a lady going in after me who was doing that & it halved her treatment visits.

Sore bits are getting worse underneath, going to the GP for dressings advice next week. Anyone got any recommendations now that the skin is broken?

Hi Ann
I am surpised that she was like that, her being a woman and all. Leave her a copy next time you go.
Ive not had an app through yet to see my onc, finished rads nearly four weeks back. Iam about to ring and question it.
I was given 23 dates for rads and when I turned up for my 15th I was told that was my last as the hosy had given me too many appointments!!! You can only imagine the confussion and abandonment I felt after that. I was on rad trials so apparently I only needed 15, I did phone to check with the trials nurse when I got 23 dates but she said it was right!
Didn't help the turmoil in my mind but I will mention it to my onc when I see him, hope he is more sympathetic than your.
Onward and upward.
Love Linda xx

Linda

I have printed it, too. It made a real impression on me. It's a shame we don't all get counselling like that. My female oncologist seemed surprised that I was emotional at my appt six weeks after rads finished. I had been strong at our other appts. Maybe I should send it to her!

Ann x

A huge thank you from me too Lucy. That article has now been printed off by me and will be my bible on the road to recovery.
Linda xxx

Thanks, Lucy. Brilliant article. Is there any way of putting this somewhere that everyone can read this, rather than it getting lost?

Thank you for posting it, Tresanne.

Ann xx

Hi Ann
It didn't work for me either.
Linda x

I don't know if it just me, but the link didn't work, Tresanne.

Ann x

This webite was posted elsewhere here in the forums. It makes interesting & rather reassuring reading by Dr Peter Harvey.

http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/nor ... &Count=500

Last one tomorrow. Bit sore underneath now so going commando after all as ran out of time to find a soft bra that fitted without rubbing my scar. Found some lovely soft vests made of bamboo fibre on the internet & hoping I heal up soon.

Thanks Tresanne.That is the beauty of the forum, we can share our feelings with each other and reasure one another that what we are feeling is normal.
I feel much better knowing im not alone.
Linda xx

Tresanne - I am glad your GP understood. My (female) oncologist seemed surprised that I was feeling down at my follow-up appt six weeks after rads!

Ann x

Dear Linda (lmc) Last chat I had with my GP about needing time with my kids before going back to work in Sept he fully supported the idea of taking time out to adjust. He said many women get low after treatment when all the appointments stop and you get to think about what you've been through. A form of delayed shock I suppose after a year of coping with the treatments, all the appointments and being very brave. I think what you're feeling is a very common reaction to all this but it is hard to put it into words for other people to understand.

Hi Linda,
Thanks for that. It is mad how we get so far being so positive and then when we should be on top of the world after treatment ends we feel so insecure!!
Good luck with your chemo Linda. This time next year this will all be a distant memory to us xxx

Linda - I'll be having my last zap on monday, my onc usually sees his patients at least once during rads but as he hasn't seen me yet I'll be seeing him on Monday (he only does clinics at the rads hosp on mondays so missed last week due to bank hol). My radiographer today said that he would then see me again 6 weeks after end of rads so that seems to be standard. Doesn't actually apply to me as I'll be having more chemo starting in a couple of weeks so will obviously see onc earlier!

Linda (snap!)
xx

Thanks very much Ann. I will have a chat with my BCN.
Linda xx

Linda - I had a follow-up appt with my oncologist about 6 weeks after rads finished. I think this is normal and I would ask your BCN if you do not receive a follow-up appt through the post soon.

I also have appts every four months, alternating between the onc and my surgeon, for the first year, I think. After that every 6 months, for the next year and then annually - plus an annual mammogram.

I also felt lost after rads finished and became emotional at my onc appt. I think she was surprised and thought I would 'be over it' but from what I have read on here, it is pretty common.

Ann x

Hi all
I had my last rads on wednesday last week. it was just a case of you have had all your rads good luck. I feel very vulnerable at the moment, they say i will get an appointment for the onc through the post and it will prob be for September!
Is this right? do we not need to see someone sooner? i feel lost and confussed. seeing my doc tomorrow for an sick note a my 3 month one from breast clinic runs out 2moz. think i may need a few more weeks as my skin is very red, spotty and sore.
has anyone else finished treatment and feeling lost???
Linda x

I reckon my skin's been a bit pink since no3 too. Get the occasional ache/twinge but nothing more. After reading some of the red/raw stories I'm getting a bit nervous about being without a soft bra - 30G isn't an easy size & usually needs full scaffolding support! Tried soft cotton maternity bras but found nothing to fit. Fingers crossed it won't come down to going commando.

Well, I've now had 10 out of 15 and so far so good. My skin is pink - like mild sunburn - but seems to be holding up fairly well, it has been visibly pink since about zap 3 and is only getting very slightly redder each time. It's much less pink first thing in the morning which the radiographers have indicated is a good sign. Just hope it holds out for the final 5.

My first 2 appointments ran late but since then they've been pretty much spot on time and I've been home within an hour and half of leaving so not too bad. The novelty has worn off though so it's a bit of a drag going back and forth each day.

I'm on the home stretch now though - just as well as I feel like a ticking timebomb waiting for my skin to give up!

Linda
xx

Hi, I started radiotherapy on Wednesday 26th May, have had 3 so far with 14 more to go, (day off for Bank Holiday !!) Appointments are all over the place, room was 80 minutes behind on the first day and 60 mins behind on the second day. I had to change rooms on the second day due to the machine which didn't seem to like me !but it seems to have settled down now and hopefully next week will be a bit smoother( they lost my gown and called me by a completely different name twice but ......)The staff are great. My skin is pink already so hope it doesn't get too much worse as I had a reaction to a skin test for some particular spray that they recommended so will keep using E45 etc. All these hiccups mean nothing, I am grateful for the treatment I have received over the last year, 2 operations and 6 months of chemo and now the rads. This time last year I didn't even know if I would be alive this year so I can cope with anything they throw at me now. To anyone just starting on this road, stay strong! JR

Hi Tresanne I have just posted in detail the treatment ect I was given when I went to see my GP. If you look in on the thread called
(Another Rant)there is some interesting reading on this subject.

Hope your skin is not to sore sending you a special healing wish.
Love Linda x

Hi Rockinghorse, wondering whether your soreness has improved yet. What creams were you advised to use. I'm on no8 today and so far so good. Shocking how sore some of the ladies having neck rads look. Hope my poor boob doesn't get that bad.

Thanks Tresanne I think I will try to get an appoinment to see my GP tomorrow as it is even more sore today could not sleep it is so raw I'm not one to cry but it brought me to tears today. Other than holding my booby up there is nothing I can do for relief the hospital gave me those mushroom shape containers with gel in but its not helping oh dear well thanks for your reply I just feel so low at the moment. Linda x

I think you should give your breast care nurse a ring to talk about it. Poor you it sounds very sore. The BC nurse may be able to suggest a dressing or cream for you to treat the broken skin with too. I think we will all live in the shadow of recurrence after treatment is over.

Hello ladies I have not posted for a while but have been keeping an eye on you all!!!!I am hoping you can help me I finished rads last wednesday and have a very sore booby my skin is broken and wet underneath but my main reason for talking to you is there is a bruise on the side of my booby not far from my tattoo my skin is a odd colour anyway it does not hurt when pushed like a bruise would. Do you think this could be cancer again so soon as I having been having radiotherapy! It never goes away this fear of its return does it.

take care Linda x

First 3 sessions done - 17 to go. Treatment time down from 30mins to 15 yesterday. Worst bit is the vulnerability lying topless in the machine with your arms awkwardly above your head not daring to move or cough. My shoulders go to sleep by the time I sit up again.
Good you managed to change your appointment time, don't need the added anxiety of the school bell looming over you. 🙂

Hi Linda - I'm having 25 plus 8 boosters - so nearly 7 weeks worth! Travelling up to Harley Street is a pain but I guess I'll get used to it. I need to work it around my dogs, who aren't used to being left alone for long periods - will be easier over half term when the kids are around to help.

Hi!

Hope your first session went well for you.

I've now had 3 (12 more to go!) and so far it's been fine. Monday's session took ages as they were running very late, yesterday they were running 30 mins late but today they were on time and I was home within an hour and half of leaving so that was pretty good I thought.

I got my appointment time changed from 3.20 to 1pm which is easier to organise and today was my first at the new time so I'm hoping that they keep to time better at that time of day.

No skin reaction yet but it's early days, I'm slapping on the aqueous cream and drinking lots of water as recommended.

Linda
xx

Hi
I'm starting my 20 sessions tomorrow at the Churchill rather than Mount Vernon. Have had a long gap since surgery so feeling rather apprehensive all over again. Homeopathy & aqueous cream at the ready.
Rx

Hayz - good to hear your skin stood up well as it sounds just like mine. Hope the new lot of rads goes well for you. My hospital have advised using aqueous cream twice a day both before and during treatment so I've been slapping that on for the last few days in preparation.

Finty - I'll be thinking of you on Monday, hope all goes smoothly for you. How many blasts are you having?

My appointment is 3.20pm - just about the most incovenient time possible as my eldest son has to be picked up from school at 3.15pm. I'm going to see if I can get my appointments changed to earlier in the day but not holding out too much hope as I know the dept is very busy, so wish me luck with that!

Linda
xx

I'm starting on Monday too - happy to hold hands!

Hey Linda

I'm due to start rads again for the second time!

I finished rads for my primary & a regional recurrance around 5 weeks ago, but unfortunately I now have another infected node on the opposite side which requires treatment.

I had 20 fractions + 5 boosters & was lucky as I had no skin problems. We're advised not to use any creams/lotions at all at the hospital I attend & apart from being quite dry, tanned & very freckly at the end my skin held up pretty well.

I have the standard pasty, freckly Scottish skin so I was surprised that I didn't have any issues....I'm just hoping my poor neck & underarm on my 'good' side hold up as well!

Good Luck with your treatment!

Hxx

Thanks, Ann.

It's good to know that fair skin doesn't automatically lead to a bad time with rads, gives me a bit more hope even though I know that the 'bolus' will intensify the effect on my skin.

Linda
xx

Hi again, Linda. I just wanted to say that I have fair skin and didn't have much of a problem with rads, just pink and itchy skin, but I had 15 to the whole breast, plus 4 boosters, not the same as you.

Good luck, anyway!

Ann x

Anyone else starting rads this month (May)?

Just wondering if anyone else is starting rads soon and wants to hold hands?

I've had chemo followed by Mx and ANC, had rads planning on monday and starting 1st of 15 sessions at Mount Vernon Hospital on Monday 17th May. Having rads to chest wall, skin and neck.

I pretty much sailed thorough chemo and surgery but I've a feeling I'm not going to be so lucky with rads as I'm very fair skinned (with freckles) and burn easily. I'm also due to have full thickness radiation to the skin as the area over my lump was red at diagnosis so increased risk of skin breakdown due to that too - oh joy!

Linda
xx