Anyone had a Wire localisation..what happens?

I’m having a wire localisation on Monday prior to surgery on Tuesday.
I know in theory what they do but would like to hear from anyone who has had one …is it uncomfortable?
Also I’m having it done on Monday and am assuming they will keep me in overnight ready for surgery next day…how do you sleep with a wire sticking out of your breast?
Also I’m sure they said that they inject all the radioactive blue stuff on Monday too…does that sound right…that goes in the day before? Cant phone up to ask , my french is OK in person but i’m useless on the phone unless the person I get speaks some english as well!

How annoying getting it done the day before I had mine localised a few hours before surgery… They did it by ultrasound and was a bit like having the biopsy… The wire they insert is very thin and no stabbing staple gun effect so I found it wasn’t as bad as the biopsy… They put a dressing on top of the wires here they poked out the skin and that was a bit uncomfortable as my wires were in my armpit because of where the tumour was, but it wasn’t unbearable… And actually forgot it was there… Def not as sore as I was after my op.

Some places do put the blue dye in the day before or a few hours before surgery but at my unit it is actually done during surgery so no idea how it feels although I have heard reports that it’s a bit stingy.

Good luck
Lulu x

I had wire localisation on both sides just an hour or so before surgery. One side went fine, other was a bit of a struggle, as radiologist couldn’t seem to get through the scar tissue from the biopsy. Sounds a bit awful, but really wasn’t, just a bit uncomfortable. She ended up putting two in on that side, one on each side of the area, but I’d already read in the Susan Love book that that sometimes happens, and is not a bad thing.

The wires are very fine, almost thread-like and I remember thinking you could easily remain unaware of them, so I don’t think they’d affect your sleep.

I had the sentinel node/blue dye thing done in a separate surgery but I think some people have both done in the one. Again nothing to worrying, just a procedure you have to go through to come out the other end. Would hate to have to do it in French though! Good luck with that, and with the whole damn thing. You’ll be glad when its over.

S
X

Hello

I didnt have the wire thingy as my lump could be felt. I had to go to the hospital the day before, they gave me 3 radioactive injections close to my nipple, I was then allowed to go home and I had to go back a few hours later and they did a scan and put big black crosses where my sentinal nodes were. The blue dye was done while I was in theatre the following day. The injections were a bit like having a local anaesthetic and didnt last very long at all.

Hope all goes well

Anne