Anyone had a nipple sharing graft?

I am due to have this at the end of next month. The reason I am having this rather than a more common skin flap is that my remaining nipple is large, and a nipple reconstruction using a skin flap would start off smaller and then get even smaller with time. As one of my reasons to have the new nipple is to give better symmetry when wearing clinging tops (at the moment unless I wear a padded bra it is very obvious I only have one nipple) then a skin flap would not provide this.

So, if you have had this, are you pleased with the results? And is there any loss of sensation of the good nipple? My ps says no, but I am sceptical about this. And what was the recovery time? Also I am concerned about returning to work if I still have big dressings on - firstly I won’t have anything to wear (I work in a professional office and have to be smart, none of my work clothes are baggy), secondly it seems to be an embarrassment waiting to happen. It just so happens that the date I have been given is in half term and I had already booked that week off work, so I don’t have to ask for time off for the operation, but I don’t know how to approach the situation on return to work if I am going to have huge looking boobs due to dressings on each nipple! I am quite happy to tell the other ladies at work what is happening, but not the men. The thought of walking into the office and everyone staring, or alternatively carefully looking in the other direction, doesn’t thrill me. And it’s no good telling me not to go to work - if I am up to it I will go to work - it is a small business where everyone pulls their weight and I’ve had enough time off work in the last four years as it is.

Thanks

Hi, I am bumping this up as I am also due to have this op in March and have been asking myself the same questions as you.

Rawlie x

Hi
Quick reply on disgusing the dressings- a girl i was in hospital with always had a fairly wide scarf round her shoulders, hanging down over her mx and you wouldnt even have known she had the op. A nice colour co-ordinated one with your work wear might be the answer.
Good luck with the op-Im impatiently waiting for my re-con, so will keep watching this thread for tips!
Best of luck
Cathie x

Cathie - thanks for the tip, I might try that.

Rawlie - my op is booked for 25 Feb. I’ll try to remember to let you know how it goes

If there’s anyone out there who has already had this done I’d love to hear from you

R
xx

Hi I’m Lyndsey,

I have just recently had a nipple graft using my good nipple. I also had a slight lift on the good side just around the areola to even me a a bit. The reconstructed breast was larger and higher than my other. this was due partly to damaged tissue from my radiotherapy. I was home the same afternoon and only had a dressing on my reconstructed nipple.

If you can find supportive t- shirt bras which have a thicker cup, it doesn’t really show and a scarf is a good idea.

Unforunately part of my nipple hasn’t taken and has died off leaving a lovely scab, so I haven’t seen the finished results yet.

But I’m pleased overall with the results and I’m sure that when I have my tattoo it will look good.

Hope this helps

Good Luck x

Thanks Lyndsey

It sounds like my concerns are unfounded, and that any dressings may be quite unobtrusive. you’ve set my mind at rest.

I will report back after my op. It’s been nearly a year since the main LD flap operation, it will be good to get this next one over with. Then only the tattoo to go.

Well I had my op last Friday. I was first on the list, was back on the ward by lunchtime and home at tea time. I had a nipple sharing graft, plus a fat transfer using fat from my tummy to improve the contour of the recon.

The only dressings I have are flat plaster type ones - one on each nipple, plus on my tummy buttom where they went in to get the tummy fat and at the side of the recon where they put the fat.

I haven’t seen the results yet of the nipple graft, but I can see that the shape of the recon is much better where they did the fat transfer.

The only real discomfort has been from my tummy button area, which is rather tender.

I felt OK yesterday, tired and a bit spaced out, but that’s only to be expected. Today I have been very sick, which I didn’t expect - a delayed reaction to the general anaesthetic? Plus my new nipple is bleeding - the plaster has slowly changed from white to red today which is worrying me. I’m hoping that isn’t a problem, and am keeping an eye on it, I may have to call the hospital tomorrow for advice.