74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had reconstruction with tissue expader?

7 REPLIES 7
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Anyone had reconstruction with tissue expader?

Thanks for all your comments. I had my appointment today and I have decided to go ahead!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Maria,
I had a skin saving mx last November with expander implant. I was really pleased straight after the op to wake up with a small 'bump' with just a little in the implant rather than being totally flat, which I thought I would be. Over 6 weeks I had the implant expanded little by little every week. I found the 3 or 4 days following each expansion painful because the muscle both in my chest and around my back hurt (I would recommend the little by little approach!) Also the 'portal' which is temporarily inserted under the skin (over the ribs) to expand the implant took a few weeks to get used to, but this may be because I'm quite skinny and it sticks out a bit! One thing the plastic surgeon didn't mention to me initially was that they over fill the implant so that the muscle over expands and then has a natural droop later on. So currently one boob is much bigger than the other until I have my final reconstruction later in the year, which I find hilarious. Overall I am really pleased that I chose the expander implant.
Good luck,
S
Guest user
Not applicable

thanks for sharing your experiences. i hadnt thought about them inflating it a bit during surgery. thats another question to ask on friday

Hello Maria,
I had immediate recon with a tissue expander in July 2010. I was never flat as my surgeon inflated me during the skin sparing mx. I was then pumped up over several weeks, which did not hurt and then went back to have my permanent prothesis put in place. I recovered well from the operations and was pleased with the results. My b c breast is much smaller than my remaining breast but in a t shirt bra it looks fine. I hope you are able to make the decision. Sending you positive vibes . Love Tracy xxx

Bump ...... To try and get more people to share experiences. Xx

Hi Maria, I am sorry that you are having to make such hard decisions. I cannot help you with thetissue expanders questions as 4 weeks ago I had MX with LD back flap and implant reconstruction. I know it is early days but I am so pleased with the progress and thelook of my new breast so far.....if you decide on this route I would be happy to share my experiences and answer any questions that you haVe. In the meantime I am sure that others will be along soon to share experiences re expanders. Good luck with your decision. Xxxxxxxxx

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, who I am sure will be along shortly to offer that support.

In the meantime our helpline staff are at hand to talk to if you need, calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon to Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Anyone had reconstruction with tissue expader?

Hi, i'm new on here! I have a strong family history of breast cancer but cannt be genetically tested due to no surviving sufferers. I am currently having yearly MRIs, plus regular checks. I have seen the genetesist, surgeon, plasticsurgeon and counsellor. On thursday, all those listed will be having a meeting and discussin whether or not I will be offered a risk reducing mastectomy, although I have been told that it is likely they will. I will then be seeing the plastic surgeon again on friday.
I have been told about the different types of surgery and my chioces would be using a tissue expander, using back muscles or using stomach muscles. The plastic surgeon suggested that the best option for me would probably be tissue expander. I 'think' I have made my decision but I wondered if there was anyone that had had this done.
This is actually the type of reconstruction my mum had but that was 17 years ago and she is no longer here.
My main concerns are that I would come away from the initial surgery with no breasts at all and wouldn be 'filled up' over time.
Has anyone been in a similar position?