68517members
360393posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a toddler around whilst on chemo?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Anyone have a toddler around whilst on chemo?

Hi logicienne,
We've been posting on the april14 monthly chemo threads haven't we! I had to have Hickman put in as well as they couldn't get a picc in! Its totally fine isn't it?! Mines all dressed up so no dangly bits & my daughter is telling everyone (including her teddies) not to touch it so no probs at all! Just under 2 wks until my 3rd FEC now,hope you are doing well xxx
Highlighted

I have a 5 yr old, 2 yr old & 10 month old... I had a Hickman line fired and my first dose of Chemo yesterday... So far all they seem interested in is wanting to look at mummy's plasters!

Highlighted

Hiya, Thank you both for your replies!

Really helpfull to hear from two people that have experienced it!  I think like you say she will be more likely to tug at the one near my neck even if by accident when i am picking her up or she is giving me a cuddle.  At least the one in the arm is covered up and i can even wear long sleeved tops  to cover if we dont have much of a summer this year! xx

Highlighted

Hello EAM,

My daughter was 2 years old, that time I didn't have a line, but I later had a PIC line when I needed some more treatment. Its a very personal choice but I think while it would be manageable wit care, you do lift them around so much when they are that age and even though I had a tubey grip, I think I would have worried about the dangley bit at the end which does ask to be yanked!

I was offered a portcath as an alternative which means that everything sat under the skin but this wasn't suitable for me so I didn't have a choice.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong, you know your child and how they might respond. Whatever you choose, you will manage.

Good luck Rattles, x

Highlighted

Hi

I worked as a nanny throughout my Chemo. The children I look after are older. But having experience with children of all ages. I would say a PICC line would be safer. They give you a stretchy elaticated bandage to cover it. So it can't really be accidentally pulled. Whereas I would think a line in your chest/neck area, would be exactly where inquisitive little fingers might be tempted to touch!

I'm sure you will find a way to cope with whichever line you decide on. Good luck with your treatment.

Sal xx
Highlighted

Anyone have a toddler around whilst on chemo?

Hello all,

I am supposed to be starting chemo on the 1st April!  Does anyone know what would be best with having a 20 month old around as to what type of line to have in?  My oncologist said one in my neck/chest but may not look nice wearing a low cut top (not a priority for me!) and the chemo dept said PICC line in arm should be fine with little one around?!