67.8K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having Radiotherapy in December ?

88 REPLIES 88
jenny68

Re: Anyone having Radiotherapy in December ?

Ps, to the creams debate, I saw on one message on rads someone recommend using a cream with Manuka honey, I have ordered it on the net from Amazon, so cheap, its only 3.50.manuka has great healing properties, mentioned it to oncologist and she ok it for rad burns.
jenny68

Hi Jannie
Had my first oncology appointment today and will most likely be having rads in Dec, I need 19 sessions as I have lympho-vascular invasion, (anyone else with this)? I would love to hear from you. Anyone having rads at the Beatson, , Glasgow in Dec?
jannie13

What they said was that the moisturiser did not effect the likelihood of skin breakdown certain factors like breast size having to have a breast cup...to do with where lump was and keeping rads away from organs..made it more likely but it was important to avoid friction and keep dry. I found the moisturiser was not absorbing in the cleavage and under bust area...activated by my on going problem of finding a good fitting bra. Stopping the moisturiser made definite improvement and itching stopped Christmas day...I've now had 15 sessions and burn has just started to itch under bust. Looking slightly dry so going once a day moisturiser only on the dry nipple area....but it's hardly advisable dryness. 

lola111

Hi Jannie13, I am interested that they seem to be suggesting that the creams do not help. Could you clarify please as it might be that I am overdoing it. My soreness is mostly in my armpit which continues to be swollen. I also have an annoying itch around my nipple! Tiredness comes in waves especially if I have had a busy day.
jannie13

Thanks lady's looking okay so far. Much better now I've stopped moisturising with e45 they have said they will give dressings if skin breaks so good to know they work imagined it going on for months.admit to feeling very emotional when they told me it would probably happen as it seems to push finishing the treatment stage back again.
SML1903

Hi. I can 2nd that about the gel dressings. I used them and they were brilliant. I have 1 left and padding which I thought I would keep just in case I needed it but so far so good. Good luck. x

Indigo52

Hi Jannie,
I hope it doesn't happen to you, but if it does, the gel dressings work quickly and are soothing. In 3 days the split is virtually healed. Good luck!!
Indigo52 x
jannie13

Saw clinical radiologist today. They are saying research shows moisturising doesn't make a difference its in your genes...allow air to get to area as much as you can...for bigger ladies bra less not always best. I'm very likely to have skin breakdown as not only big but have a breast cup for treatment. Also told to ho for comfort so if underwire is comfortable and seperates wear them...have breakdown in clevage with either cotton top or hanky under the wire.
Slyolddog

Hi Indigo

Glad you got sorted. I had my last rad on 18th December and was told to expect side effects after about 2 weeks, which will be New Year's Day! I had been sore, the soreness eased and I halved the time I was applying cream, partly because I thought I might get away with it and partly because the weather turned and applying cold cream in a cold bathroom is unpleasant! However the soreness returned after a couple of days so I'm now back on twice a day. I'm not sure how long to keep it up for but may stick with it for another couple of weeks.

I hope everyone is ok, or as good as can be, happy new year to you all, lets hope it will be a better one. X
Indigo52

Hi,
I managed to get an appt to see the breast nurse at the radiotherapy centre. She dressed the split with a gel dressing and padding. It was quite reassuring to hear that she thought it wouldn't propagate further. I'm armed with lots of dressings so am feeling more in control. What irritated me was the fact that she said that the rads usually peak around day 10 post rads and I had asked specifically about this whilst having the zapps and was kept in the dark. Phaps this was with the best motive of not wanting to alarm but in my case I most definitely wanted to know!
Thanks for the support
Best regards
Indigo52
SML1903

Hi Indigo52. Sorry to hear you are having problems after finishing your rads. I develped the same problem as you but luckily I was still havig treatment and it was my last one. I saw the skin radiologist at the RBH and she put on a special dressing and padding. She gave me some to take home and have to say they are working really well. She did say if i needed to see her again to ring the dept but I don't think I will need to. If I were you I would ring the rads dept and explain your situation and I am sure they would see you. Good luck x

Wendyy
Volunteer

It sounds like you'll benefit from Flamazine cream. It's only available on prescription and worked well for me.
Indigo52

Hi,
No stupidly I gave up the cream when my breast felt like it was recovering. My energy levels were much better and the rash around my breast was receding, so I thought it was safe to do so. Stupid! I'll ring the nurse today.
Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated! X
lola111

Hi indigo, I'm sorry to hear this. I suggest you try phoning a breast cancer or oncologist nurse tomorrow. I was on the phone today about a swelling like a small balloon in my armpit and being paranoid about lymphoedema I was worried. They phoned back quickly and checked with my oncologist and so were really helpful. Good luck!
Slyolddog

That sounds awful. I have got no better advice but to ring either a doctor or the hospital, depending in how big the split is. Are you still using the cream?

Good luck, please let us know how you get on. X
Indigo52

Hi,
I finished my rads on 19th December and thought I was home and dry but no! I have developed a split under my breast which is getting bigger. I have large breasts which doesn't help the situation. Any suggestions?
All the best
Indigo52
lola111

Happy Christmas to everyone and I hope the side effects are manageable and don't spoil your holidays.
Slyolddog

Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas, enjoy the time whatever you're doing and whoever you're doing it with. Eat plenty, rest plenty and have the odd glass for medicinal purposes!

Raise a glass to us.
SML1903

Hi To Everyone

Just wanted to wish you all A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS. Have a lovely few days and enjoy the rest and time off from treatment. xx

jannie13

Off for my ears this morning then 4 days of rest....wishing you all a lovely Christmas with no clock watching worries....Turkey excepted.

Slyolddog

Evening ladies

SML - congrats on finishing your rads today, sorry to hear your skin is showing side effects. I'm quite sore and have a rash above my boob but this may be down to the amount of cream I've been using. No more trips to the Royal Berks for you, no more ghastly car park. I started a phased return to work at the beginning of November and am due to up my hours by 2 a week in the New Year. It seems painfully slow but I am going to make the most of my remaining free time.

Lola - did you have your bone density scan before you started on your medication. I've already started my medication, Anastrozole, but I don't have my scan until January 6th. I'm guessing if there's a problem they'll change me to something else. Apart from the first couple of weeks when my hips were killing me I'm not suffering any major side effects from the tablets. (So far). I am also with you and the other ladies about being fed up being told how well I look. I suppose its supposed to be encouraging, all I can see when I look in the mirror is a woman with no eyelashes and nylon hair! You're quite brave looking at all the stats, I have decided to take the ostrich approach and stick my head in the sand. I can live with not knowing the chances of a recurrence in the next 5 years and all that's associated with it. I know that sounds cowardly but I can honestly say I'd rather not know the odds, otherwise I might be permanently worried about it.

Jannie - well done for seeing it through and making changes at your hospital. Changing rooms are there for people to change in, and changing rooms need mirrors. It just goes to show that complaining works.

I hope all the rads ladies have a good Christmas, eat plenty, drink red wine (it's good for you!) and generally have a change of routine. Enjoy time with your families and some much welcome normality. Woman Happy

lola111

HI SML1903 thank you for your reply.  I was put onto Tamoxifen as my bones "failed" the bone density scan. At first I was put onto Letrozole which is in the same camp as your Anastrazole, Unfortunately these drugs tend to be bad for bone density, hence the scan. They then took me off Letrozole and shunted me over to Tamoxifen.  If you have not had a bone density DEXA scan then you really ought to ask your GP to organise one for you (although they should offer it). I had no idea my bones were losing density so it was quite a shock - although I now realise that about 1 in 3 women do have bone density problems/ osteoporosis!

I did not suffer from taking the Tamoxifen in any really obvious way, but the longer term side effects really worried me. Tamoxifen reduces the remaining risk by around 38%. In my left breast the remaining risk is now about 1% and so I can live with that risk as 0.62% with Tamoxifen isn't that great a benefit.  As for my right breast my oncologist took the view that cancer developing was a low risk and wouldn't give a figure.  She did say that as I will now be monitored any cancer developing will be detected early on. After all if the Prime 2 research is accepted by NICE then women like me may not be offered rads at all....certainly not as now after the WLE and only in the case of a recurrence.

None of this is a 100% solution and so I am telling myself to accept the compromise - and I can only cross fingers and hope that I do not regret it.  

SML1903

Hi lola111

I know what you mean about people telling you how well you look and how well you are coping with the treatment. Sometimes I just want to say its harder than you think coping with the treatments and everything that goes with it but I don't think they would understand unless they've been through it themselves. I have been into school a few times and the other staff make me feel guilty for being on sick leave and one even thought my treatment had finished ages ago. My GP is even a bit unsure about me returning to school after Christmas and wants me to do a phased return. 

I had my final rads today but after being really sore over the weekend and my skin showing signs of breaking down I now have to apply special dressings to it. Just hoping it clears up before I see my GP.

I am 59 like you and have been put on Anastrozole and just wondering why you were given Tamoxifen. The worst side effect I have experienced so far is hot flushes followed by being freezing cold but just hoping it will get better. Take care.

Best wishes to everyone still going through their treatment over Christmas and new year. x

lola111

Hi everyone, what fantastic news about the mirrors! It just shows that it is always worth saying something, even if it seems incredible that nothing has been done before now. I finished my treatment on Friday and am now waiting for the full impact of the rads to do its worst.  I am very tired and a bit sore but not too much and so its manageable. I am getting a bit tired of being told how well I look though as I feel like I am being a moaning minny if I reply by saying that it's all a case of appearances being deceptive!

In case anyone is interested I told my oncologist on Friday that I really hated the idea of taking Tamoxifen, not because of the side effects as they had not been too bad, but because of the risk of cancer of the endometrium/ problems with dry eyes leading to cataracts AMD etc in the future.  Instead of advising me to be brave and carry on as it will be worth it she simply told me to "throw them in the bin then!". My oncologist is quite well known in the Cancer Research world and she quoted results of a couple of studies, where the view is beginning to form that as radiotherapy only benefits 5 women out of a 100 (this is stage 1, grade 1 early breast cancer people) then it may be better not to give it after surgery.  Saving it for those few women that have a recurrence.  I had been thinking about getting the risks of a recurrence down to the tiniest figure possible, rather than looking at it the other way around as this research is doing.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/trials/a-trial-looking-at-radiotherapy-after-surgery-fo.... She did mention that the research was for women over the age of 65 but felt that as I am 59 that was near enough. In a way it's a pity that we didn't have this kind of conversation before I started the radiotherapy, but with all of the delays I was simply desparate to have it done before the new year.

Good luck to those of you who are still having rads this week.  If nothing else it should be quiter and therefore less chance of a queue!

SML1903

Hi jannie

So glad to hear they have decided to put mirrors into the changing rooms for everyone. I know from personal experience how important they are to those of us wearing wigs. A little training for the radiographers on empathy for their patients would help a great deal. I am surprised this is not part of their training anyway.

I am feeling much better thank you, I think the rest over the weekend has helped. I am just very sore under my breast and I think the skin may be starting to break down so will have to ask them when I go for my appointment today.

Good luck with your rads.

jannie13

SML hope you feel better tomorrow and your last visit goes well. One step closer.

I had a call from the administrator to say she was ordering 3 mirrors for the 2 reads rooms and planning...she's also going to tell them they need to use the changing rooms...hope she does as it will make it nicer for others. 

She does staff training so I suggested a section looking at wigs and self image to improve empathy.

Read are fine so far just red session 6 tomorrow.

SML1903

Hi

Just 1 more booster to go on Monday and then I am done. Not feeling very good today, very tired and have a headache that just wont shift. This afternoon I had a hypo which didn't help. Don't know if it's the rads making me feel like this or if I may be going down with something. How is everyone else doing?

jannie13

Lola I agree and can see a point in counselling it seems to be the standard reply if anyone asks questions they can't answer. ...The man who I first asked about the mirror said we don't want you to take too long and slow us down so don't have one the radiologist said about counselling. .I took my wig off handed it to her and said you put it on straight without looking..The nobody's going to laugh at you we know you have cancer so ignore if people look strange was a real confidence boost...apparently looking good feeling better will help me get over my issues....its a great scheme worth doing but won't help a wonky wig...
I'm a tough nut not everyone is and that's what's annoyed me...my sister would never go out again if it were her.
jannie13

At Mount Vernon there are changing rooms that you are supposed to hot bed which work well. The treatment room I've been moved to is an old one on its own and they choose not to use the changing room....If they haven't got one it would be a different issue but there is so don't see why you should be expected to strip off while 2 members of staff prepare the machine...The camera is in the treatment room...I was surprised as it's not what I had the day before or been told to expect....after my complaint it's also not what should be happening...
There is no mirror in either room which is a small cost to make things easier and is in the new changing rooms. ..Not in the planning room either..One lady came out with scarf on badly and virtually ran to the toilets there's no need for this...my wig gets knocked no way could I feel confident laying in it with arms up and expect it to be in place after....I had a uniform jumper on to as I didn't expect there to be an issue.
Small things make us feel better....or worse especially on a bad day so I'm complaining the cancer centre are raising it too.
Slyolddog

Hi SML - like you I arrived early today, just sat down with my paper and got called in straight away. This was after the delay yesterday, which they said was due to putting someone through early! Last one tomorrow, an early one, I don't care what time I get in there.

Jannie - sorry to hear you're having changing room issues. There are mirrors in the changing rooms at the Royal Berks. I don't need them for my wig as I don't remove it but I do need one for applying cream straight afterwards. These are basic things which make the whole process a bit more bearable. Mind you by this stage I've had my boob out so often my dignity is just a distant memory. If I were you I would definitely go to patient liaison and let them know what's happening. It's their job to improve things. I hope things improve for you as you go along.

SML1903

Yay! Arrived 30 minutes early for my appointment today and hadn't even sat down when I was called in. Treatment done and out of the department before appointment time. Must be a record. Only 3 boosters left to go now so all finished before Christmas. Good luck to all you ladies who will have to have rads over the Christmas break.

SML1903

Hi jannie

I am so sorry you are having such a horrid time of it. They are being totally unprofessional and working as they are in hospital they should be able to empathise with their patients. I would be inclined to have a chat with the patient liason officer. It is definitely not the way any patient should be treated. What are the cameras in the changing room for that is awful. I am going to see if there are any in my changing rooms tomorrow but I haven't noticed any. Will be thinking of you tomorrow x

Jaye

Hi all, hope you are all doing well!

I had my rads in June this year and still read the forum and find it really strange how different hospitals deal with us.

At the hospital I went to they didn't have any changing rooms - I wasn't offered a gown all the way through.  They just called you into the treatment room - there was a chair for you to place your clothes on and then walk over to the treatment table.

Not ideal to say the least but I got used to it after a few days.

Jaye x

lola111

Hi jannie13, I am sorry that the atmosphere has become so frosty - if you are anything like I am then at times I have felt really bad-tempered and having a frosty atmosphere would not have helped how I was feeling.  How could they be so rude and let you over-hear them!  I can only hope that you meet a different team soon, as at my hospital I have lost count of the different teams and machines that I have been sent to.  The dignity thing does get lost though... I was offered a gown with a broken zip on the first day. Perhaps I was meant to keep it for the rest of my treatment I am not sure.  Anyway from then on no gown was offered for several days and I just took my top off and did not worry about it - but it's not ideal really. (Can't imagine what it is like for the men though!) By the time I was offered a gown I actually felt self-conscious about accepting it (such an exhibitionist!).

jannie13

third one today and same room was called out and invited in front of others to use the changing room....where a mirror was waiting ....decided it's not right I should be singled out and know the mirror will go when I finish...atmosphere strained and I asked about my appointment to see clinical radiologist which has not been made she said she would call overheard her telling them she was giving them a heads up as I was difficult....
complaint made feedback done and visit to cancer support who have added it to agenda that staff need training changing room to be used for dignity....I wonder how many notice they are changing in front of a camera creepy...
rads in themselves are okay so far not holding out hope on a warmer atmosphere. ..
LynnAnn

lola111

Hi I think you could mention it to your oncologist as surely it's unprofessional to jump to judgements about their patients in this way. I think that some counselling might be good for me as I go through this stressful time but if I do that will be my decision and not theirs!
SML1903

Hi Jannie 13

No you are not the only one who would be annoyed if there was no mirror to straighten their wig I would be too. How silly to say you should see a councillor to boost your confidence. I am lucky and all the changing rooms at my hospital have mirrors in them so I can straighten my wig. Is there a suggestion box so you could write a comment suggesting all the changing rooms should have mirrors.

Hope the rest of your treatment goes well 

jannie13

Just had second treatment. I was a bit red yesterday which surprised me so a bit concerned it may be a warning of skin issues. slapping on the cream.
really annoyed that my treatment room has no mirror when I asked they suggested I talked to a councillor to boost my confidence...is it me? am I the only one who needs a mirror to put a wig on straight? was asked to change in the treatment room while they set up yesterday was a different machine with changing room and mirror.
SML1903

Yes I had thought of taking something in for them on my last one next Monday, may be a tin of biscuits or something like that. I did notice a man and women waiting outside LA3 when I walked through. Hopefully you will have had your treatment by the time I arrive otherwise they will be ruuning really late. I wondered what happens about treatment if you are really unwell with a cough and cold. Do they still treat you I wonder as you can't always surpress a cough and keep still or a sneeze. My daughter is unwell with a bad cold at the moment and I'm trying not to catch it but that's not always possible.

Glad it's all over before Christmas. I over heard someone say that they will have to have treatment on Saturday and Sunday as the dept will be closed on Christmas and Boxiny day,

Slyolddog

Hi SML

I arrived at 9.15 hoping to be taken in early again. After a while I noticed they'd put the sign up saying they were running 20 minutes late. Asked to get changed at 10.20 (my appointment time) then sat and waited until about 11.10 for treatment. It was a bit nippy and there was a Dutch lady waiting who told me about hiw ill she was with an awful cold! I think they had an issue with the guy who was treated before me, they kept going backwards and forwards to the treatment room. My appointment tomorrow us for 9.35 then 10.10 and huge last one on Thursday at 9.30. You more than likely walked past me on the way to the main waiting area while I was waiting outside the changing rooms.

And yes, the Scottish guy is lovely, as are most if the staff for LA3. I might bring them in something to share on Thursday as a thank you. Glad it's nearly over now.
SML1903

Hi Slyolddog.

Hope you had a lovely weekend and are feeling ready for your last rads.

I went for my 11.00 appointment today and wondered if we were sitting in the waiting room at the same time without realising it. Was your appointment on time? I arrived only to find there was a 20 min wait which they changed to 30 mins and then to 40mins. I was called in to change and then had another 15 min wait finally being treated in LA4. I was very concious of what you said about being only a breast though and felt almost like i was a bit of a nuisance. I much prefer the staff in LA3 especially the scotish one Cameron I think his name is have you met him? My appointment tomoorow is at 12.20 so hope LA3 is working properly tomorrow.

Take care x

lola111

Hi, my soreness is in balance too. I searched this forum and came up with the genie bra and bought 3 off ebay for £8. Not terribly flattering but so soft. The cream I found in a number of places online (including the obvious online seller that I really do not want to plug) - Robin Logan's Therapeutic Seven 7 Cream.  Enjoy your day off!

SML1903

Hi lola111

I think you are are wise not to over do it and then you will be able to enjoy Christmas. Like you I am able to drive myself to and from my appointments so my husband has been able to have a break. He was so good after I had my surgery and couldn't drive taking me to all my appointments. I had problems after surgery and was seeing my consultant about 3 x a week.

My soreness has not got any worse since I started applying the cream more often and I try not to wear a bra if possible when I am at home but a cotton support camisole. What exactly is 7 seven cream and where do you buy it from?

Good luck. x

SML1903

Hi Slyolddog

How amazing that we are being treated at the same hospital for our rads. I had my chemo and surgery at the Dunedin but they don't do Rads but still having to pay the RBH or rather Bupa are. I am having my treatment on LA3 but for 2 days had it on LA5 when there was problems with LA3. I usually get lunch time appointments but next week have a few earlier ones. I have been lucky since the day I had the long wait and have been treated mostly on time apart from a couple of times. I haven't heard anything like you refering to breast cancer rads as 'just a breast'. Thats awful as it's as bad for us as any other type of cancer although I think that Tuesday was the day I found they hurried my treatment and I didn't feel they were doing all the checks as normal. I haven't had to go to Bracknell though for rads. I did get the choice as to where to go for rads treatment and could have gone to Bracknell but as I live in the Reading area I thought the RBH would be easier. I have just 6 more treatments to go including 3 boosters and I finish on the 22nd.

Good luck with your last few treatments, take care x

lola111

Hi indigo52, I read your post after completing my tenth treatment yesterday. All of a sudden I came over rather whoosy and had to rest for a while! I hadn't realised that it started to kick in around day 10 - having been optimistically feeling rather relieved that I was coping so well. What a good idea of yours to massage the area of the cording - I will remember that! Rest now until Monday...
lola111

They changed my appointment times too on the day of hy first treatment by simply giving me a new schedule.  I nearly refused it saying that I already have the appointment times!  The radiotherapy unit is becoming much quieter now, presumably as most people decline the opportunity to have rads just before Christmas!  I am not surprised you are nervous - I was out of my mind with worry before my first appointment. Hopefully you will feel less nervous as the days pass....good luck for Monday!

jannie13

meant can't pick up....
jannie13

letter today changing appointment times just as I thought I'd got things covered. so situation normal unable to plan a thing as it's going to change...Some by 10 minutes...what's the point and some 2 hours so now I can pick up from school great.
oh well at least start and finish dates are the same. getting nervous
Indigo52

Hi slyoldog,
Sorry to hear about your cording problem. I don't know if my experience will help but it just might. When I returned home from rt on day 6 I had a quite sudden and painful cording feeling in my arm. I googled what to do and massage was recommended. I didn't know how to do it but wherever I felt the pain I did some vigorous massage (it was painful!) and strangely it completely cured the problem. After this my arm was very red and blotchy and I thought about lymphodema! The radiographers were bothered by the appearance and I had to see a Dr the following day by which time the appearance was normal! It has not reoccured so far and I'm day 10.
Good luck with your treatment!
Indigo52