Anyone having treatment in Cheltenham?

Hello I am starting chemo at Cheltenham Oncology Centre next week. There was a topic of Cheltenham people about 4 years ago but it looks like you have all moved on. I’ve been dx 6 months but this is my first experience of chemo as endocrine so far. No op date yet- Chemo is intended to turn a possible Mx into a probable WLE. Loving the way the hospital has improved over the years, and glad we discovered Maggie’s over the way.

Hi
i have sent you a PM about parking.

If anyone else is being treated in cheltenham and want local knowledge of parking, let me know.

a good hospital, great staff, with a maggies nearby.

Hi Penny47, I’ve finished my treatment now (chemo last August, rads finished in Dec) but had it all done in Cheltenham as I’m a local girl. I’m now on Tamoxifen and slowly getting back to some sort of normality. let me know if you want any information or if I can help in any way or if you just fancy meeting up for a coffee sometime, Em x

Thanks Emylou-it is all sounding very positive apart form the parking. I lived in Chelt 10 years and managed never to set foot in the hospital except visiting time! I worked a couple of years at the old Delancey Hospital. Another thing I’m dreading is rads in the bad weather as it looks like I’ll have my op in Oct or Nov. When I say bad weather, this whole year has been bad weather! I do mean icy roads. We live in the Cotswolds and they stopped gritting our road 3 years ago. I’ll be back in touch when I’ve got my head round this Chemo lark.

Hi Emylou Starting radiotherapy in Cheltenham June 10th[planning] then 5weeks x5days from 24th. Travelling from Hereford so it is going to be a long haul ,any tips for surviving it. Hope to visit Maggies as it looks a great place from leaflet I have.

Hi Riverside- When I went to the talk at Maggie’s about RT they told us we could probably drive ourselves to RT. I had treatment in Hereford 9 years ago when I had my foot op at the Belmont Abbey Centre. Because of my foot condition my husband had to drive me; he found it exhausting and the only thing that made it worthwhile for us was the little restaurant next door where we could both have a three course meal and change from £30. (!) I would hate to drive those roads if even slightly unwell. Have you got local volunteers who could help you out? I belong to a church who have a rota of drivers for chemo and RT appointments.
We are crazy about Maggie’s- my husband loves it there and he is going to be spending a lot of time there as after your first chemo you can’t have your carer with you for lack of space. He can sit and read and nurse a cup of tea or coffee by the fire (if this cool weather doesn’t let up) and there are other men there basically for the same reason. And when it’s fine he can sit out in the sheltered garden. It could have been made for him personally! I’ve been to some of the meetings there. It’s not especially for BC but Jane who runs it is a former BCN.
Our MD is raising money for Maggie’s by doing the Power Walk in London next Saturday. So far she has £800+ donations and she only signed up 5 weeks ago when she was working in Bolivia! It’s been great for raising consciousness about cancer care and the work of Maggies among our friendship groups. I expect her to be fit- the block of flats she lives in has the lift out of commission this week so she’s having to walk up and down the 44 flights to her flat! Anyhow I do hope you get to Maggie’s and enjoy it- they are particularly welcoming on days when the clinic is running behind- if you tell the receptionist at the ONC clinic apparently they will riing you to let you know when they are ready for you. The walk over there and back is short but long enough to clear one’s head!

Hi Penny Thanks for info. I am lucky to have transport provided, i know it will probably make time away from home longer but couldn’t face prospect of all that driving, not knowing how well or not i might feel. Will depend on timing wether i am able to go over to Maggies but it may be a useful refuge,. Do you live near Hereford? We are very lucky to have The Haven in Hereford ,very similar to Maggies. It was “my haven” when I was diagnosed couldn’t have coped without them ,still enjoying visiting for complementary therapies to keep me on the right track

Sadly no I don’t live near Hereford but I have a friend who is a carer for someone who does…will pass on about the Haven if they haven’t discovered it by now. Thanks!