cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone in Brighton & Hove area?

9 REPLIES 9
stellam

Re: Anyone in Brighton & Hove area?

Hi Bish1. My name is Stella, u am 44, live in Hove, my cancer journey started 14 mths ago. I have a son of 22 & a daughter who is 21.
Big hugs
Stella
x

bish1

Hi

I notice these posts are all from last year.

I've been diagnosed a month (9/8/10) and live in Brighton. I had a lumpectomy and partial lymph node removal on 1/9/10.

I'm 42 and have a 2 1/2 year old boy and would love to meet up with people in a similar situation.

x

stellam

Hi Gardenbeetle,

I am 43 and was diagnosed June 30th and have just had my 1st cycle of chemo, I live in Hove and would happily give you my home tel number. I'll send you a private message (if i can as i'm new on here).

Big hugs

Stella

Birgit

HI GB

Hope all goes well with your surgery. There is a support group at the Brighthelm Centre. Give them a call and enquire when they meet - I think it is an evening meeting, but not sure what day. Do come on here if you need more help and support, we have all been there and try and support newcomers as much as we can.

I am not sure about 'chemo at home', but I would suggest be guided by whatever your consultant advises and try and take a sheet of questions with you for appointments, that way you will not forget about important questions. Our local oncology department always runs taped interviews, so you can take the tape home and listen to it again. Perhaps your London hospital offers the same service. Otherwise, perhaps take a partner or friend with you, two sets of ears are better than one, especially when you are upset and worried.

gardenbeetle

Thank you salopets and Birgit!

I am being treated in London at the moment (it was the quickest appointment I could get) so the surgery will be done there, and I will go there for consultations etc. But they did say that as I live in Brighton any longer-term/frequent treatment like chemo/radio will be transferred there, they seem to think chemo can be given at home? Not sure of the details yet.

I am interested in any support groups - I'm in central Brighton so that would be handy for me.

I don't mind if ladies are older than me, I would just appreciate any support of others going through this and to meet survivors as well! It must be terrible whatever your age though in different ways I guess.

Birgit

So sorry you've had to join us. I am in Brighton as well, but a lot older than you. I think that the support from the Breast Care centre is brilliant, (used to be called the Nigel Porter Unit). Use the support offered from the BC nurses, they will have all the answers you may need. Have you considered joining a local support group? There is one in the centre of Brighton and one on the outskirts in Telscombe. I belong to the Telscombe group (I live in East Brighton) and we have a lot of fun as well as support. Most of the ladies are a bit older than you, but once you've come out of hospital and are on the route to recovery, you might consider it. You can find the details online if you look up Telsombe Civic Centre.

Good luck with your surgery on Friday.

Hugs

salopets

Hi gardenbeetle. So sorry you have had to join us here, but you will find loads of support from others going through this with you. I live quite close to you and have sent you a private message.

gardenbeetle

Thank you LooLoo,

I did take my partner but he is French, and often gets the wrong end of the stick due his English not being perfect! Between us we are really confused! The nurse we saw did give me her card though so I think I will email her before the surgery to get it all clear in my mind.

Hoping it is all going well for you...

GB xxx

LooLoo

Hi GardenBeetle
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
I understand about you being in shock when they told you. My partner has come with me to every appt but we both come out having heard different things. I think he is usually right!! (for a change!)
I wish you all the best with your surgery.

Love and hugs LooLoo x x

gardenbeetle

Anyone in Brighton & Hove area?

Hi, I am 37 and I have just been diagnosed. Don't know the exact details as I was in shock when they told me, I guess I will find out on Friday when I am booked for a lumpectomy (chemo & radio likely to follow). Absolutely terrified, and worried how this will all affect my 2 year-old son, hard to know how much he understands. And of course my biggest fear is not being around to see him grow up. I would love to meet anyone in Brighton/Hove area... or who has a child around this age - I don't know anyone else with BC and feel very alone.