Anyone in Burnley / East Lancashire

160 REPLIES 160
maggiemay22

Re: Anyone in Burnley / East Lancashire

Well done on completing chemo WAC!!

xx
Lola65

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done Wendy. What a relief it is. I know how elated I was. Good luck with the side effects over the next couple of weeks, and then you can relax. xxx
WAC

Whoop!!! Finished chemo today and danced down thqt ramp...l 🙂
maggiemay22

Just catching up.
I bet you're glad chemo's over with Linda and you must have been so worried when you found the other lump. Thank goodness it was just an enlarged milk duct and you don't need any further treatment for it. BTW we have the same surgeon...and presumably the same as you Jan. I agree - she's fantastic.
I didn't see my BCN on diagnosis day (it was a different nurse that gave me the diagnosis) but I've seen her a couple of times since...and spoken to her on the phone.
Lola65

Hi Ladies,

Tabitha, Liverpool? Blimey. I assume from that we have no local plastic surgery facilities? So are you free from hospital trips until next year?

Jan, how did you get on with BCN? I haven't seen mine since diagnosis day!

Linda xxx
tabitha1969

hi thank god all was ok linda,, and well done oon getting passed the finish line

i'm having the recon next year, its going to be the one where they take the fat and tissue from my tummy (yay), she is going to do the other one as well, it will be in liverpool,
Jan_mints

Well done Linda. I am seeing my bcn tomorrow at bgh. I agree with your thoughts about Miss G. And Dr. H. BOTH FANTASTIC!
Lola65

Hi Ladies,

Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Last chemo over and done with. I danced out of that room.

However, it was a bit of a strange day.

I have seen 3 senior consultants, one after the other, had an ultrasound, and had my last chemo.

Why the 3 Consultants? Well, last week whilst on holiday I found a small new lump in my good breast immediately above my nipple under the areola. I hadn't told anyone at all, even OH, until I knew what it was. I researched it of course and decided it is a Papilloma in a milk duct. (These are wart-like lumps and normally benign). I told my lovely Dr. H who I see every time immediately before chemo. He got me straight on the bed, so to speak, and said he thought it might be a cyst, saying it is highly unlikely to be suspicious because 5 cycles of chemo would have zapped it.

As luck would have it, my own surgeon Miss G. was having a breast clinic in the next room so he called her through (saying it would cost him rather a lot of alcohol and a few cakes). She said much the same as the oncologist but as she had some spare slots on the ultrasound machine she referred me upstairs to the breast clinic. Up I went and was immediately taken to the ultrasound room and scannned by the senior consultant radiologist. She couldn't find any lumps but said I had a slightly enlarged milk duct that would feel like the lump (hard, small and like a small marble, smooth and round). The milk duct is enlarged but still within normal parameters so no treatment needed. Phew!!!!

Three senior consultants all within half an hour and the best service ever. If I ever see anyone blasting the NHS I will have to comment. I couldn't have asked for better service.

Linda xxx
Lola65

Well done for reaching the chemo finishing line Tabitha! Good luck with the Tamoxifen, and also with the Consultant on Thursday. Any idea when your op might be? Let us know how you get on.

District Nurse is coming in the morning to do my last bloods, and I start my steroids for last time too.

xxx
tabitha1969

hi,, good luck for tuesday linda,, it feels great when you hear the machine beep for the last time,, i start tamoxifen on tuesday, also got an appointment to see consultant on thursday,, eeeeeeeek new boob,,
hope everyone is well xxx
Lola65

Hello Burnley girls,

I've just got home from a week in the Derbyshire Peaks, and boy was it hot! It didn't help with the chemo fatigue one bit, although we thoroughly enjoyed the break. Back to reality and my last chemo on Tuesday all being well.

Maggie, I'm sorry you have to have a second excision, but don't worry about it. The operation is much quicker and easier than the first one, especially as there is no armpit involvement and no wire insertion. I had to have a second one and was home again within four hours with no after effects. Good news about the lymph nodes - such a relief!

Hugs to you all, Linda xxx
WAC

Excellent news about your lymph nodes, Maggie!
Sorry you can't enjoy the sun- even in moderation, as I've been doing, Jen.
Have a good weekend all.

Wendy x
Jan_mints

Thinking of all the Burnley girls sweltering in this heat. I have been told to stay out of the Sun whilst on rads. Phew!

Jan x
maggiemay22

Thanks Wendy and Lols. My next wle is on 6th August. I had 2 lymph nodes removed and they were clear so that's good news.

Lola - I got my path report as you suggested.
Lols

Hi maggies I had another wle on Monday, a nuisance but I'm fine now feel back to normal, whatever normal is right now!! Amazing how fast we recover from surgery, wish rest was that easy . Take care x
WAC

Hi Maggie
Sorry to hear that you have to have more surgery although I know it's not at all uncommon. There are few advantages to having had a mastectomy but not needing another wle is definitely one of the few! Do you have a date for further surgery? Were your results generally ok except for this? I do hope so.
Glad you are enjoying this amazing weather. I'm taking full advantage of not being at work and having had improvements to the garden recently - a lovely space to recuperate from chemo.
Take care
Wendy x
maggiemay22

Hi everyone

I've been making the most of the lovely weather and spending lots of time sitting and reading in the garden.

I've been told that I need to have another wle as not clear margins.
Lola65

Thanks Jan. I like the drinks voucher idea!! Shame about the parking though. It's a nightmare at Burnley too. My OH drops me off then goes off to park. He usually finds somewhere on the outskits of Timbucktoo.
Jan_mints

Hi Linda, the parking is still there it is just really really busy and there are lots of cars circling for spaces. We were there early today so when we couldn't find a space, ended up on the main car park. The free car park pass covers any car park, luckily.

I am told it depends on the time of day your appointment is generally, as we were leaving at about 4.20pm today there were lots of spaces outside the building. They do treat up to approx 7.30pm in the evenings so can accomodate most peoples' needs. I prefer to get it done and then have the rest of the day to do what I want. I have a couple of linchtime appointments too but that is because they check in with you about treatment, side effects and skin care.

You also get a free drinks voucher for both yourself and whoever is with you for the duration of your treatment at the coffee shop in the middle of the centre. The building is air conditioned too! Phew!

Jan
Lola65

Evening all,

Maggie, I hope you are enjoying chilling out and doing just as you want to do. I made my mind up to do just that right at the start of my journey and have kept to it.

Jan, well done on you first one. I doubt I could get myself going quickly enough to get there by 8. I am hoping to have a late morning slot. My mum had her rads at the Rosemere, although that was about 9 years ago now. I seem to remember there being parking specifically for the centre in small bays outside the building. Has this facility gone now? Dr. H told me we could have for a parking permit for the duration by asking at reception. Did you do this? Is it really horrendous finding a spot? It was bad on the main carparks the two times I had to go to Preston fo my portacath fitting.
Good luck with the rest of your sessions.

Take care, Linda xxx
Jan_mints

Hi all. First rads done!
The worst was the drive to Preston in my Dad's very hot (no air conditioning car) and the sharking for a parking space.

As it was my first time, it seemed to take ages to get me lined up with my tattoos and in the exact position on the bed, The treatment itself lasted about 2 mins so on the whole, not too bad. I have an early start and have to be there at 8.30am tomorrow and all next week my appointments are scheduled for 8am but that means I can enjoy the rest of the day.

Wendy , be sure to rest up, and Maggie, my cancer was grade 3 and I have managed to avoid chemo.

I will keep you all posted later next week

Take care,
Jan x
maggiemay22

Enjoy your holiday in the Peak District Linda...I hope the weather is kind to you. I've decided I'm going to be very selfish and chill out for the next couple of weeks. If I want to do nothing but read all day or watch a film then that's what I'll do!

Jan, you're not pathetic and weak. I've discovered that anyone who can cope with this dreadful disease is incredibly strong. So what if you have the odd "off" day?

I hope your next cycle of chemo is better for you Wendy. I'm hoping I can avoid chemo as it's grade 2.

Maggie xx
Lola65

Good luck with this cycle Wendy, and also with the transfusion. From what I have read elsewhere on the forum a transfusion does help with the energy levels. I wish I could have one!!!

Linda xxx
WAC

Hi all

Glad that your operation is over, Maggie - best of luck with the results. I had to wait 10 days for mine which seemed an eternity!
Good luck with the rads, Jan. So pleased that you can feel more positive some of the time but, as Linda says, we all have our dark days from time to time - very normal, I think.
Have a wonderful break in the glorious Peak District, Linda - hope this weather holds for you, even if you are admiring the scenery rather than scaling the peaks!
I had chemo 5/6 today so only 1 more to go. 🙂 The downside of today was learning that I need a blood transfusion as my haemoglobin level is slightly lower than it should be and they don't want it to drop even more and delay the treatment. This may also be one of the main causes of the fatigue I've suffered quite badly this cycle so hopefully after Friday I should have more energy.

Take care, one and all.
Wendy xx
Lola65

Oooooooo good luck tomorrow Jan. Please let us know how you get on. You are our Lancashire Lassies trailblazer for Rads! I won't start mine till September. How many are you having?

Also good to hear you are feeling much better about things, and yourself. We all get negative thoughts from time to time, but the next day is always better.

Linda xxx
Jan_mints

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

I start my rads tomorrow and am feeling a little more positive and have stopped labelling myself as pathetic and weak and can see that I am OK and more in control of any negative thoughts.

Enjoy your hols Linda

Jan x
Lola65

Hi Maggie,

Well done, another stage ticked off. I hope your recovery is quick and painless. If you can't wait 2 weeks, you can ring your BCN in a few days. The results will be on the hospital computer and she will tell you over the phone. I had my op on a Friday and rang the following Friday.

I'm on day 9 of cycle 5 of my chemo. Only one more chemo to go. Apart from fatigue I'm doing well, but the fatigue is worse than previous cycles and driving me mad! Still, we are off to the Derbyshire Peak District for a week from Saturday. I won't be climbing any peaks, but am looking forward to the change of scenery. I've got the details of the nearest hospital, just in case!!

Hope all the other Lancashire Lassies are doing well.

Linda xxx
maggiemay22

Hi Lancashire Lassies

I had my WLE and SNB at Burnley yesterday. You're right, the staff on the day surgery unit were lovely.

Now the 2 week wait for the path results...and I told the consultant that I want a copy of my path report 🙂
maggiemay22

Hi Linda and Wendy
My op is on 9th July so not too long off. I was told when I was diagnosed that it's grade 2 so hopefully no chemo needed.
I only had a routine mammogram last June which was clear so it seems as if it's been caught early.
xx
WAC

That does sound very promising, Maggie. Hope you do manage to avoid chemo (though it is "doable", honest!). Hope the operation goes well. Keep us posted.
Wendy x
Lola65

That sounds like very good news Maggie. Do you know what grade it is? I hope you manage to escape chemo.

We all have to go to Preston for Radiotherapy as there aren't any facilities for it at Bunley or Blackburn. I also had to go to Preston to have my portacath fitted.

Here's hoping you don't have to wait too long for your operation. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
maggiemay22

Hi I've only just seen your replies so didn't ask for my path report (but I will at the appointment after the op as I do like to know everything lol)

At the moment I'm feeling quite lucky. The tumour is 12mm, ER+ and HER- and there didn't seem to be any lymph node involvement from the scan though I know this can change depending on what they find when they operate and there's been no mention of chemo.

I've been told I'll have to go to Preston for the radiotherapy.

Take care everyone. Maggie xx
Jan_mints

Hello Maggie.

You will get fantastic care at BGH. ALL the staff are brilliant and so caring. I have just started attending the day care support at Pendleside Hospice on Tuesdays and am really enjoying the company and alternative therapies.

Let us know how you go on

Jan x
Lola65

Welcome Maggie.

I was dx in December, since when I've had a lumpectomy followed by a cavity shave to obtain better margins, and am currently nearing the end of cycle 4 of 6 chemo cycles. Apart from my portacath fitting, which was done at Preston, all my treatment has been at BGH. I can truthfully say I can't fault any of it. You are in very good hands.

Good luck on Wednesday, and let us know how you get on. I understand people are different, but if you are one of those like me who likes to be in control and know everything, I suggest you ask for a copy of your path report as it won't be given to you automatically. It will tell you everything they know at the moment about your tumour. (Of course, these details may change after surgery.)

Wendy - so pleased to hear your new meds are keeping your sickness at bay. I will be eternally grateful I haven't been or felt sick and haven't needed any anti sickness stuff. Touching wood here!

Linda xx
WAC

Hi
Welcome to the small but select band of Lancashire lasses, Maggiemay! I'm sure you'll find load of advice and support on this forum when you know a bit more about your proposed treatment. Let us know how you get on next Wednesday.
Really glad you have managed to escape chemo, Jan. I have the other consultant oncologist who comes to Burnley; she is also very approachable, thorough and positive. I think we are lucky. In the third chemo cycle I had a lot of problems with sickness; had my fourth last week with new medication and am doing so much better. The only problem is that I had a delay for a week until my platelet count was high enough, so I'll finish a week behind Linda! Just hope there are no further delays...
The session you went to sounds good, Tabitha. However, as I never wear make up usually, I don't think people would recognise me if I started now! Hope your treatment is going well.
Take care everyone and keep in touch.
Wendy xx
maggiemay22

Hi another East Lancashire Lassie here.

Dx last Wednesday...all I know at the moment is that it's grade 2. I have an appointment with consultant at BGH on Wednesday so I'll know more then.
Lola65

Hi Jan,

Pleased to hear you are healing well - and well done for escaping chemo!

I have the same oncologist as you and couldn't agree more as to what a lovely man he is. I feel very safe with him. I am currently in the middle of my 4th cycle of chemo and doing relatively well, touching wood. If I have no delays my last session of chemo will be on 23rd July, followed by Rads and also Herceptin until April 2014. No hormone therapy for me as my receptors were negative.

I hope all goes well for you, and let us know how you go on with the Rads. Linda xxx

PS. Tabitha - I'm not bothering with the LGFG session. It's a bit far for me to travel. I missed you at the chemo unit last week. Hope all went well for you.
Jan_mints

How are the East Lancs girls doing?

I am healing well now and have started Tamoxifen and waiting for dates for radiotherapy. Dr H. advised against chemo for me as the side effects outweighed the benefits of treatment. I was so impressed with him and the time he spent with me discussing my treatment.

Jan
tabitha1969

i went on a feel good look better course today at salford royal, it was a lovely day, its free and i got a free goody bags with products worth about £250, have google for it, they do it at salford, christies and blackpool x
WAC

Hi Linda

Still on steroid high after round 3 yesteday - waiting for a bit of a crash at the weekend but hope it doesn't come this time!
Glad to hear you're doing well too. How are all the other Lancashire lasses out there???

Wendy xxx
Lola65

How are all you Burnley Babes doing?

After chemo 3 on Tuesday and Neulasta jab yesterday, so far so good for me. Not holding out much hope for it to continue

Hugs, Linda xxx
Lola65

Tabitha, It was really lovely to meet you and OH today, and good for me that I managed to chat to all 3 of you at one time or another.

I'm at 10-30 till 1-30 on 11th June next time.

My worst days on Tax are days 4 to about 10. Good before that, and reasonable after that. Fatigue for me comes towards the end, but all manageable. Take care, Linda xxx
tabitha1969

great to meet everyone today, chemo is later next time,, my oncologist scared the living daylights out of me with all the worse case stories but hey ho all was good, xx
Lola65

I'll be in a green top and jeans.

The only major side effect I've had is diarrhoea on cycle 2. I was bad with it for 4 or 5 days and lost 9lbs in weight because I lost my appetite for a couple of days and had to force myself to eat soup, baked potatoe, bananas and toast. It was all at the same time as the diarrhoea. I was told to take Immodium, but didn't take it properly, so a lot of it was my own fault. Once I started taking it properly, the diarrhoea cleared up and I was able to eat well again. All the weight came back! No major bone pain at all so far and only minor irritations from time to time, otherwise well.

See you later!
tabitha1969

i will wear my black and white stripey pants, boots and black and white bandana, i will also have my oh with me this time, im starting tax, have you had any bad side effects?
tabitha1969

hazkev if you are on facebook there is a private group for younger bc ladies under 47 i think, it's a fast growing group, its also a place you can rant, or a place to just share what you are going tho,, its also a place where you will laugh,, if you are interested pm me x
Lola65

Hi Tabitha,

I'll keep my eyes open for you. Please say Hello if you spot me. (with daughter) As far as I know Wendy will also be having her bloods taken about then, and Mamakaz Karen will also be there at some point. See you then! xxx
tabitha1969

hi linda looking likely we might meet tomorrow, my district nurse couldn't get blood from my line this morning so i will be in the chemo unit about 12.50, for them to get it. then down to onc then back to unit for chemo,,,,,x
Lola65

Hi Hazel,

It's all moving nice and quickly for you, which is good. Less time to worry! If it turns out you are HER2 positive, your chemo regime may change. I'm not using the cold cap. I really did not fancy it, and certainly didn't want to extend my time spent in the unit. I had my hair cut short before chemo started, then when it started to fall out my OH clippered it to a Sinead O'Connor look. I got some bald patches, but I've had 2 cycles of chemo and it is now growing back. I haven't had any scans because my nodes were all clear with no evidence of spread. I did have a heart scan before chemo started, which is mandatory. Cycle 3 next Tuesday.

Linda xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lola
I've been to Dr H's surgery today. I now know my cancer is invasive and suspected inflamatory. I also need hormone therapy as it is oestrogen positive, they didn't have the HER 2 results back yet but I am booked to go for pre chemo talk etc on Friday. Ive had my bone scan and having CT scan on Thursday. I will start on FEC T on a 3 wkly cycle in the next few weeks just depends on my HER 2 result what type of delivery system they fit (I dont fancy the PICC line much though).
Cant get over how fast it all moves but thats good I suppose as it shows a sense of urgency.
I said I'd give the cold cap a go as one of my sisters friends found it helped her so we'll see what happens. I'm not vain but I recently shelled out on a new hairdo (before I went to clinic) LOL