Anyone in Bury/ North Manchester?

Hi all,
my LWE and SNB is next friday at NMGH then 15 sessions of radio at Christies presuming that the nodes are clear.
Is there anyone around my neck of the woods? bury/whitefield,prestwich? I’m partially disabled and cant drive anymore but I’d love to meet up with others or phone for a chat?

Hi there

I live in Middleton, not too far away. I had my WLE at NMGH in June 2008 followed by chemo and rads at Christies. All my follow-up appointments are now at NMGH.

Can’t fault the treatment at all but remember how frightening it all was. I was in hospital for a few days after WLE/node clearance and it wasn’t too bad at all. Just make sure you do the exercises every day. I had full motion back within a week. Christies are fantastic and the rads are nothing to worry about. I drove myself there every day. Just felt exhausted by the end.

Once you get Friday out of the way you’ll feel much better.

Which surgeon and onc are you under?

Mal x

Hi Mal,
Thanks for your reply. My hubby works in Middleton.
I’m glad things went well for you. I’m now under Dr Absar. I started out under Miss walls but she doestn do the SNB. I’m starting to get very nervous now but I know I’ll be fine

Hi. I live in heywood,

I had recon done under Miss Walls in May, very very pleased with the whole care package, no pain very little discomfort, and no stiches just amazing. Also seen Mr Asbar, hes just wonderful to got a great reputation and bedside manner, you are in very good hands with all the team/

take care xx

Hi Ladies

I’m also in Bury and was diagnosed just before Xmas. I’m having my treatment in East Lancs - Burnley - long story but that was nearest hosp who could see me in the shortest time and now I will have to stay with this trust so I’ve been told.

I’ve since found out I’ve got to have a mastectomy and am going to see my consultant on Friday to discuss my treatment. No idea what they will say or when I’ll be going in to have the op, just still coming to terms with it and trying to understand what’s going to happen.
Glad I joined today as I know talking to people in the same situation will help.

Be good to hear how things are going for you all

A x

good luck for friday , although luck dosnt come into it. the whole system seems to speed up once you have your treatment plan, i just cannot believe how the time has passed from diagnosis in April to now just completed chemo.

for me and many others the medical team just seem to push you along the process. For me also I could just not see me ever feeling normal, but must admit now do see a glimmer of me that was.

wishing you the minimal amount of treatment needed to get you back on track

xx

hiya im in urmston starting rads on thurs
sue

Hi Truffle and Sue

Thanks for your replies - I know what you mean about being carried along by the system although I think mine has been delayed a bit because of Xmas. Still lets hope this snowy spell doesn’t hinder us getting to our appoints!!

Good Luck t’moro Sue, let me know how it goes

A xx

Hi everybody. I have only just joined this forum today. I live in Moston North Manchester and I had my WLE at NMGH in January 2008. Miss Walls is my surgeon and I only see her once a year now. My Onc is Dr Loncaster. I had 12 sessions of Chemo at The Christie. 4 of the Epirubicin and 8 CMF. I then had 14 sessions of Radio therapy. It was ment to be 15 plus 4 boosters but I started to burn. Started on Tomoxifen in August 2008 and then went onto the Aromasin March 2010. Fingers crossed everything seems to be going well.

I hope everything is going well with you all.

Hi there Mostonmauler

I live in Middleton but my son lives in Moston and I know the area really well. Was dx in May 08 had surgery in NMGH in June 08 followed by chemo and rads at Christie’s. Now on Femara. My surgeon is Mt Howatt and my onc is Dr Lonaster too (she’s great isn’t she?)

I’m still on 6 monthly checkups as I had a bit of a scare earlier this year (all clear thank goodness).

Small world. Hope you’re doing OK.

Mal x

Hi Mal

Yes Dr Loncaster is great. Miss Walls is too. I will never forget how kind she was to me on the day of my surgery. I made a bit of a fool of myself in Pre Op and started crying. She came in the room and gave me a hug! Not many Consultant Surgeons would do that.

I have had two mammograms since my treatment. I have them at the beginning of January each year. All is fine up to now, though I didn’t get any results for my first one. I had to wait until I saw Dr Loncaster in the March before I found them out.

Glad all is OK with you.

Rosalind

Hi Rosalind

Whereabouts in Moston are you? My friend was treated By Miss Walls and thinks she’s great. She’s six years out and feeling fine.

I have had my date thro’ for my 2nd mammo the week after next. I hate them. But last year I got a letter giving me the all clear. Hope it’s the same this time.

Back to see the onc in Sept and it’s so good to have a few months in between appointments after feeling as though you live there.

Hope life is as good for you now as it is for me. Still worry sometimes (only natural) but don’t let it take over my life.

Mal x