68.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone in Darlington/Teesside area out there?

42 REPLIES 42
marli

Re: Anyone in Darlington/Teesside area out there?

Hi Debs - hope you are well, looking forward to seeing you soon.
Yes Angela, I had been thinking the same thing. Even though the facebook group is fab , you will find the ladies who use the forums are really supportive and a mine of information. It was a real goldmine during and after treatment. I still have a look on this site to see what is going on, so will keep an eye out for you.Take care. Marli x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angela

seeing as you dont like facebook, if we can be of any help to you on this thread please post and one of us will answer any of your questions.

Hope you are doing ok

Debs x

Angela20

hi Marli
Sorry dont like facebook but thaqnks anyway.

marli

Hi Angela - sorry to hear of your troubles. The course sounds interesting. I was dx 2 years ago . Most of the north east ladies now communicate through a private group (North East Breast Buddies) on Facebook. You need to be on facebook and be invited to join . If you are interested in joining us please send me a personal message with your facebook name and and I will send my details to you. Look forward to hearing from you. Marli

Angela20

Hi Jo And Debs
I have had breast cancer twice now :{ the 1st time was in Feb 2009 and I had amastectomyy then inFebb this year found out it was in my other boob and had to have anothermastectomyy. this time though I had to have chemo and radio as well.I have just finished this and yesterday went to see my consultant which was a waste of time as he wasn't there and saw someone else.
Obviously my first question was could they find out if the treatment worked, I was told no theweren't't able to do that so after telling mabsolutelyey nothing to add insult to injury the stand-in consultant then told me that mammogramaapppt for 6 months time would be sent out in the post {shame I have nothing to put in the machine}Obviously I was still worried and decided to talk to the Macmillan nurse who was in the hospital.
She was brilliant and really helpful, she also give me a leaflet for the 'Nhorizon'sice its a six week course once a week for people who have survived cancer and held at the butterwick hospice in Bishop Auckland. but when I rang to join the lady said that to start the group they needed at least ten people so if you two and anyone else out there fancy joining please riJulietteete [Head of Family support] and let her know on 01388 603003 thanks
From Angela.

darlojo

Hi Debs,

not as yet but I have met up with a lady from Bishop Auckland before It was good to be able to meet someone going through the same things and just being able to chat and let off steam..

I'm pleased you're finished your chemo, it must be a good feeling when its eventually over. I like you shaved my hair off as I couldn't be doing with it falling out all over. It was in my baby's food and bath so I just god rid and it did feel liberating - it felt like it was another huge hurdle over with as no matter what anyone says especially for a woman its devastating to lose your hair. I went to comb mine this morning for the first time and then remembered I had none!

If you fancy meeting up some time just let me know

Jo x

Guest user
Not applicable

Jo

Has anyone agreed to a meet up yet? I am up for it, hope you are well.

Debs x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Suzie

I know how you must be feeling about finding out that you have breast cancer as does many of the ladies on here, it is the worst thing I think that can happen to any of us, I have just finished 4 sessions of chemo and can only say that it is harsh and doable I didnt do the cold cap as the thought of being in the chemo unit longer than I had to didnt appeal to me!! My hair started to come out by the 2nd chemo and I took the bull by the horns and shaved my head, I felt quite liberated doing it, i can say that I am now 6 wks post chemo and my hair is coming back.

If you want to private message me you are more than welcome, this site has been a godsend to me and we are all here for you.

Debbie

Lucy_BCC

Hi Suzie and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you have here please feel free to call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2 and our staff are here to offer you further support and information.

You may also find a couple of BCC publications useful at the moment, one is a newly diagnosed resource pack and the other is about undergoing chemotherapy:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/diagnosed-with-breast-cance...

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/treatment-and-side-effects/...

Take care
Lucy

darlojo

Hi Suzie,

so sorry you find yourself adding your name to this website - but you will come across lots of people who can help and offer reassurance.

I was just diagnosed in Feb and have had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I have now started chemo and just had my second one on Wednesday gone at James Cook. I need 6 in total and then go on to have radiotherapy x 20.

It is totally scary and horrible when you're first diagnosed you ask yourself lots of questions you'll never find the answers to like why me, what I have done to deserve this.

if you want to ask anything or have a chat dont hesitate.

P.S. if you get the chance use the facilities at the Holistic Centre, the ladies there are fantastic. Alo get yourself booked on the Look Good - Feel Better course - I'm going on the one on 29th June.

Love, Jo x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone,i live in middlesbrough and was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago.i was totally devastated and still cant believe it has happened to me.luckily it hasnt spread.i go for my first cheamo session on wed 11th may.am terrified at the thought of my hair falling out although i am going to try the ice cap.would love to hear from someone who is just at the same stage as me or anyone else who can give me any reassurance. sue x

darlojo

Hi everyone,

just wondered if anyone from the Darlington/Teesside area would like to meet up?

Jo x

darlojo

Hi,

just wondered if there are any new people being treated at James Cook University Hospital with tnbc and what chemo they have been offered?

Jo x

darlojo

Hi Liz,

hope you're feeling OK. I had my first chemo on Wed gone and feeling OK at the moment just waiting for the hair to start going now!

Jo x

darlojo

Hi Liz,

it was lovely meeting you on Thursday for a coffe - you looked great! keep smiling and keep looking after yourself. My first one on Wednesday and I'm dreading it! Here's hoping the hypnotherapy works on Tuesday!

Jo x

darlojo

Hi Liz,

I'm seeing the homeopath at James Cook on Monday, wig man on Tuesday so I'm free Wed, Thur or Fri for a coffee. My second home is cafe nero in Town so we can meet there if you want or any other coffee shop ( I know most of them)

If you're feeling up to it let me know.

Jo

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jo

I think the steroids are also to help with sickness, I was given a dose with the chemo and 3 days worth of tablets to bring home, exactly the same as with the anti-sickness drugs. The nurses on the chemo ward told me its really important to take them, even if you dont feel any nausea, as prevention of sickness is easier than stopping it once its started. I also have another anti-sickness tablet called metoclopramide to take if I need it, but so far I havent needed it.

The nurse came to give me my injection today and that was fine - I read on another thread it costs £700! So I feel very lucky I have been given it as standard for FEC 1, rather than waiting to see if I have problems with my WBC.

Assuming I am back at work in Darlo next week, would you like to meet for a coffee at dinnertime one day? Somewhere in the town centre that is easy for you to get to with your baby - I remember what it was like!

Hope you enjoy the talk at the hospital. My oncologist is based at jame Cook, she comes over on a Tuesday to hold a clinic at North Tees, and my rads will be there too, so we are all under the same umbrella.

Take care,

Liz x

darlojo

Hi Liz,

so pleased you're OK after the first treatment. What are the steroids for -nobody has mentioned them to me, does everyone get them? and if so what are they for. They explained that I would get some anti-sickness drug before chemo and some anti-sickness tablets to bring home, but never mentioned anything about steroids.

I start 2 weeks today, 13th April at James Cook. I have absolute faith in them, everyone I have come across has been really nice. I'm going to some talk tomorrow night at the Holistic Centre, my breast care nurse invited me, its about living with cancer and having a new diagnosis.

My baby is fine, he's just so big, he's only 13 weeks and I keep thinking I need to wean him already, he drinks an 8oz bottle in less than 2 mins - he's a pig!

I live in Darlington (hence darlojo) so if anyone needs anything I'm in Town nearly every day (bored on maternity leave!) at least until treatment starts!!

I can meet anytime - just let me know when everyone's available.

Jo x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jo and Deb,

Thanks for your good wishes.I know its early days yet and I will probably take a nose dive once the steriods run out, but I really expected to be very sick straight away as I do suffer from motion sickness etc. Fingers crossed I will be OK. District nurse coming to give me my neulasta injection tomorrow - not looking forward to it but I think looking after the white blood cells is the most important thing during chemo isnt it?

Last chemo Deb that is brilliant! Hope you dont get too poorly. Do you have a gap before starting herceptin? I know I am having a months gap before having rads. Still at least you are one step further along the road to beating this b****y disease!

Jo do you have your date for starting your chemo? Are you having it at James Cook? How is your baby doing? Lots of questions sorry!

Let me know when you are feeling up to meeting up - we need to find a week when everyone is feeling reasonably well.

Take care ladies,

Liz xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope you are still feeling ok RV, I have just had my last chemo today and its a big WOOO HOOO.

Just waiting to be ill now for the nxt week!!! ... lol
Debs x

darlojo

Hi Liz,

I am so pleased it went OK yesterday and you're not feeling too bad -here's to hoping it continues.

Jo x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies hope you are all doing OK.

Had my first FEC yesterday, I can honestly say it was absolutely fine. Very little in the way of SE's so far, slight nausea and a nagging headache, but really not too bad. I know its early days yet but so far so good.

Love to you all

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Glossy

Thanks for the advice, I certainly won't be going back to work until I'm ready! For a start I have to drive from Bishop to Darlo and that can be stressful enough without feeling ill as well!

Glad you are starting to get back to normal. Sorry to hear about your se's on tamoxifen tho - I know that is months away for me so I'm trying not to worry about it, but I must admit I am dreading the hot flushes etc. I always imagined I would sail through the menopause with the help of HRT, but now that door has been slammed in my face. I hope things settle down for you.

Off to North Tees now, take care everyone...
xx

Glossy

RV = I was off for several months during chemo and rads. I felt too unwell to contemplate going back to work. Don't push yourself from a feeling of obligation to go to work. You won't get any extra thanks for it and just end up feeling worse......
I am now back at work parttime although feeling well I still get a little tired and don't want to oberdo it....take care and hope all goes well...the nurses in the chemo ward are great.....

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

So nice to hear from you all! I have just finished work today and am going in to North Tees tomorrow for an info session and to look around the chemo ward, then I start FEC1 on Monday. I am ready and just want to get on with it.

Jo my heart goes out to you having to go through all this with a new baby to look after too! How brave you are! I am 50 and my girls are all grown up and are away at uni (24, 22 and 18) so its just me and hubby going though the mill soto speak, I try to stay very upbeat for the girls as they all have exams coming up.

I would love to meet up with anyone who fancies it once I am feeling a bit better. I work in Darlington and am hoping to be back at work the week after next (April 4th) assuming nothing goes wrong.

Lots of love and support to you all,

Liz x

darlojo

Hi RV,

hope all goes well for tomorrow

Jo x

darlojo

Hi Deb,

hope you're feeling better soon - would love to meet up with others

Jo x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
Yes think we should meet up would be nice to talk about everything, wil have to do when I feeling bit better.

Deb x

darlojo

Hi Deb,

What a b****y shame you must feel that 12 years down the line that everything is sorted and getting on and enjoying life again. Do stay strong you've done it and got through it before so I'm sure that with the help of family and friends you can do it again

Take care

Jo x

P.S. I don't mind meeting up with anyone who is interested - any excuse to get out!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I live near Barnard Castle and had my last dose of chemo 10 days ago. Due to start rads on the 4th Aprl.

There is a group of people on the North East thread that meet up occasionally for lunch in Newcastle and I may not be 100% Jo but I think there is a lady on there who is triple neg so it might be worth posting something on that thread to get some info.

Take care

Reeb x

Glossy

ladies - why don't we arrange a meet up one weekend..........

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi my name is Deb and I live in Yarm, I was 1st diagnosed with BC 12 years ago I had a lumpectomey and lymph node removal had 6 mths of chemo and also had radio, I was clear for all that time until my routine yearly mammogram last october and took the call I have always dreaded 2 days after my birthday in November, something had shown up on my pics, had ultrasound, needle biopsy and then another biopsy a wk later as results were inconclusive, guess what the b***er had come back, I was absolutely devastated, I cant tell you how I felt cos it felt my world had fallen apart, the tears I have shed has been unbelieveable, could prob fill the Tees, I had a mastectomy on the 1st Dec at Hartelpool and thank god that it hadnt spread to my lymph nodes, I am having 4 lots of chemo and have had 3 already I can honestly say it hasnt been an easy time, then after a short break a 1yr of herceptin. I am having treatment at North Tees.
I have lost my hair again, cried when that started coming out so bit the bullet and shaved it all off! at least was in control of something!!

The hardest part of it all was having to tell my immediate family and close friends it was just awful, my youngest son took it the worst.

This site has been a godsend to me and wish it had been around all those years ago.

I dont think I will ever get my head around the fact that I going thru this again, so can sympathise with everyone either just finding out they have got this disease or fighting it.

Deb x

darlojo

Hi RV,

I'm Jo from Darlington and it looks as though we were diagnosed about the same time. I hope your chemo goes well on the 28th March I'll be thinking about you. I know what you mean about family and friends - I suppose they feel useless, they don't know what to do or say to you. This morning my hubby found me crying and he didn't know what to say or do - I thought I had my head around the fact that I will probably lose my hair but it suddenly came to me this morning that I actually do mind!

Keep strong

Jo x

Glossy

Hi my name is Elinor - live in Eaglescliffe age 51. Was diagnosed with grade 3 cancer but caught early. Not spread to lymph nodes. Had lumpectomy and chemo at North Tees, rads at James Cook. Just had my first mammogram since rads finished in February. Am now on Tamoxifen and suffering hot flushes every night and they won't really let me take anything for it. Got the all clear but took them 4 and a half weeks to tell me. Would like very much to meet up with anyone and chat and help with any advice from my experience if i can. Let me know....

darlojo

Hi, my name is Jo (41) and I am from Darlington. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer 6 weeks ago when my baby was 6 weeks old. I had my op two weeks ago at James Cook and was there this week for the results - the cancer hasn't spread to the lymph nodes and they managed to get a good enough margin removed from around the tumour. The thing that worries me more is the fact that I am triple negative so there is no targeted drug therapy available to me after the chemo and radiotherapy. I keep reading that this type is faster growing and has a higher chance of returning within the first 1-3 year. I would love to hear from anybody out there who is going through a similar experience. It's just so scary and unbelievable how common breast cancer is.

Jo x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I'm from Bishop Auckland and was dx on Feb 8th 2011. I had my lumpectomy at North Tees hospital and will starting chemotherapy on March 28th. Afterwards I will be having rads at James Cook.Would love to get in touch with anyone who is on the same journey, or has already completed it. My friends and family have been a fantastic support but it is hard for them to really understand what i am going through or how scared I am!

RV

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone my name is Liz and I was dx on 4th November I go for my lumpectomy and some lymph gland removal on 1st December at North Tees hospital .If anyone else has had this op please could you tell me what to expect and how hard is it to get dressed after with your arm ? etc.Oh forgot to say I live in Ferryhill .

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, my name is Kim and I live in Richmond, North Yorkshire. I am 41yrs old now but was dx when I was 32 in May 02. I was dx with DCIS, grade 2 invasive cancer and had 2 out of 12 lymphnodes involved. Mine was also oestrogen receptive. I had a mastectomy of my left breast, immediate reconstruction using my Lattismus Dorsi muslce and my husband of nearly 1 year thinks it looks brilliant.

I wish I could have talked to ppl who were survivors, at the time of my dx but I never met any. This is why I am posting on here, I am a 8 year survivor and yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The journey hasn't been easy, I've had chronic depression and my my fair share of scares but I'm here and living life.I try to live each day and try to do all the things I would like to do, as long as it's affordable.

Would love to hear from other ladies and hope that I have given some of you more hope.

Kim x

marli

Hello Cazza - I live near Darlington and had my treatment and chemo at the Memorial, although my surgery was actually at Bishop Auckland. Must agree with peppapot about the rads at James Cook - the girls (and boys!) were fab , so very friendly and put you at ease. Can recommend the coffee shop in the main canteen too. They do lovely cakes and when I was going in May you got a free cake with a large drink so it made the treatment worthwhile -lol. Try to book some treatments at the Holistic Centre, I had reki every Thur morning before my treatment and found it so relaxing.
As Richo said take your treatment one step at a time and make time for lots of little treats to help you through. You will find loads of info on here and if not just ask!
Good luck with your op on the 7th. Marli x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cazza, I am from Hartlepool. I had my rads at James Cook Hosp. I can honestly say they are truly wonderful there. I had stage 3 and lymph involvement too. I had my mastectomy 2nd of June last year, so been through it all now. I am triple negative so not on any follow up treatment.
It is all doable darl. aim for the light at the end of the tunnel. You WILL get there.
Pm me any time darl.
xxx Rita

cazza9393

Hi Anne. What a lovely reply. I am so heartened by what you said about James Cook hospital. I went for my pre-op assessment yesterday and everyone I met was lovely. I would like to keep in touch with you if thats ok? For some reason it helps to know you have been treated at the same hospital. Have just read your reply out to my partner - she found it very reassuring too. Thank you so much. I have cried a lot too - an awful lot but what amazes me is that we have also laughed quite a lot. I did go through a few days when I really tried to stop myself crying but that didnt work for me so I now let myself cry when I feel like it which isnt that often now and I usually feel so much better for it. Also I have been so touched by the supportive and loving reaction of friends and collegues - that has really kept me going. I think thats good advice from you just to take one step at a time but its hard. I hate shocks (like when I was diagnosed) so try to prepare myself for every eventuality. For example looking at what other people say it seems as though it is not uncommon for people to have to have mastectomies after lumpectomy so I am trying to square that in my mind - just in case. I have already been told I am likely to have chemo and radiotherapy. Mine has spread to my lympph glands (grade 3) so I think that makes it more likely.

Richo

Hi Cazza,

I live in Middlesbrough and had a masectomy on 21st Dec. Have finished chemo and almost finished rads, on herceptin for 1 year and Femera tablets for 5 years. Also no family history. Had all my treatment at James Cook and can honestly say they have been wonderful. The day I was diagnosed and told I had to have a masectomy was very emotional. I came home from the hospital with my partner after sitting in the car crying for half an hour before we could even think of driving. We phoned all the people important to us and the hardest was telling my 29 yr old daughter who lives in cornwall. I cried all day, and said thats it, no more crying, lets deal with this and get on with whatever needs to happen to fight this crappy disease. I have had wonderful support from bcn, chemo nurse is especially wonderful. I know it is a very hard time for you, you need to take each day one step at a time and I hope you will find this site helpful. It helped me so much just to be able to talk to ladies who had/were going through the same experience. What you have to remember is the treatment we are given now is so much better than what was around even 5 years ago. Breast cancer treatment is so more advanced. My friends and family are always saying to me how brave and positive I am, but they have not seen the time when I have felt low and had a good cry, even though I said crying was done, (usually in the shower, where I could cry away).

I really believe James Cook offers us the best treatment possible and I am glad I live here and have this wonderful hospital on our doorstep.

Some people find it hard to talk, but I found it better to talk about it all and once I was given my treatment plan I printed out the relevant information sheets from this website. My advise is not to jump to far ahead, when I was having chemo I read up on chemo, then once I was due to start rads I read up on them. Don't do it all at once, its too much to deal with. One step at a time makes everything more manageable.

You will be well looked after and please keep in touch, I will save this thread to my saved discussions and if you have any questions I will try and help.

Be strong lady xxx Anne xxx

cazza9393

Anyone in Darlington/Teesside area out there?

Hello to anyone in this area? I live in Darlington and was diagnosed at Darlington Memorial Hospital but have transferred to James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough. I got my results (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) on 1st June and am having lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed on 7th July. I must say I have my moments when I feel very, very scared. The first days around and after diagnosis were very dark but have felt stronger as days go by. Still cant believe it really because I feel so healthy and there is no family history etc What about you? The worst pain for me is putting my partner and the children (aged 14, 18, 20 and 23) through such worry . Anyway it would be great to hear you. Cazza