Anyone in Dunblane/Stirling area?

Anyone in the Dunblane Stirling area - who doesn’t want to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh! - but would be interested in meeting up or chatting online?? It would be great to talk to some others who have walked this walk. I’m post chemo / herceptin / radiotherapy / lots of surgery - just waiting to hear what next - 2 years on from diagnosis and one recurrence already - I’m just 41 with 3 kids between 12 and 6 and who love to meet soem younger women who are going through similar experiences.

Dear AliBaliBee

I live in Stirling. There are plenty of us about but I don’t think you will find many on this site. I was running a small support group in Stirling until about two years ago. We stopped meeting because the group did not grow and there were only four of us. This area is not good for support. And to think we have just had a new hospital built at Larbert with no cancer support centre. There is talk of a Maggie Centre (and I supported this) but it will take years to come. I’m older (56 but young in spirit) and am 6 years down the line but would be very happy to meet you for a chat. Sometimes age doesn’t matter it’s what we have been through that counts.

Wishing you well.

Jeannie

Hi, I am from Falkirk. One year post diagnosis. have had surgery, chemo, radiotherapy and am on Tamoxifen. i am 44 and have 2 kids - 1 of 11 and 1 of 4. I remember asking my BCN about support groups and being told there wasn’t any so if you want to meet for a chat in person or online I would be happy to do that. The more the merrier!
Take care
Lesley

Great to have some comments back! And your right Jeannie - age can be irrelevant. I guess I mentioned it because I’ve been aware of issues around handing this with having younger kids - my youngest was only 4 when I was diagnosed - and wanted to meet with /talk to others who had the same issues - as I hadn’t really met any going through treatment. I am really interested in talking with other women who have gone through this though as I’d like to hear about the ‘coming out the other end’ of treatment so to speak. This is what really interests me - the process of moving on and assimilating the experience into a wider whole again.
Don’t know if that makes much sense! I hope it does. I’m still at the flattened by radiotherapy stage so aren’t up to meeting in person yet - but perhaps if we can talk via here for a while that’ll get things rolling…

When I was diagnosed my little girl was 3 and my son was 10 - it seems like an age ago. i was really lucky and had lots of help with the kids from family and friends. I finished radiotherapy at the end of april and have been trying to get back to normal for the kids but it is hard as I feel like a different person however hopefully with time things will get better. I am happy to chat any time and if you feel up to it to meet up some time in the future.
Take care,
Lesley

Hi AliBaliBee

Good to hear from you. I completely understand your comments. I don’t use sites much these days so maybe at some stage I could send you a PM with my tele No. A lady I met at a meeting today asked me if I was working. I said no I was having a 5 year break because I had suffered breast cancer. She went on to say she had also had breast cancer, albeit 10 years ago. She lives in Dunblane. It reminded me that the lady who was great support to me also lived there. Have you thought of asking your GP if he could put you in touch with others similar to yourself? You may wish to go for the bigger picture (BCC website etc) but I just wanted to mention it. Are you still having rads?

Take care.

Jeannie