Anyone on Catapres (Clonidine) drugs to help hot flushes?

I went to GP to moan about my life and hot flushes so she prescribed these drugs to help.
Side effects sound rather grim and was wondering if others had tried these and how they got on with them.
Thanks for any comments.

I started taking clonidine summer last year for hot flushes, and it was like a wonder drug for me. Previously the hot flushes had made me feel quite desperate, and the clonidine toned them down so they didn’t distress me so much. Then in February this year I had an LD flap recon, in the four weeks immediately after the operation I didn’t have a single hot flush (due to the anaesthetic?), then they returned with a vengeance, I felt like I was back to square one, and the clonidine obviously wasn’t working. I decided to give it a break, then try again in maybe three months. In the meantime I had a checkup with the onc - my previous one had retired, I saw a lovely new lady, who suggested I try menopace from Boots - although I am hormone positive she said it was safe to take this as long as I was taking tamoxifen, as the tamoxifen would prevent the phyto-oestrogens in the menopace causing any problems. So I started taking it and haven’t looked back, as it seems to be working for me. If it ever stops, I will go back to the clonidine then.

Hi I was prescribed them around 6 weeks ago the first few days I took them I noticed very little difference but day 4 brilliant! I still get flushes but they are very mild and dont really disturb my sleep. Hope they work for you . x

Hi,

Can’t help Wriggly, but Roadrunner I had same experience following MX and recon surgery … no hot flushes for 6 whole weeks and thought they had passed, slept so well and began to feel human again. But they are back!

Jacqui

Morning Wriggly

I’m nearly 10 years down the line, was diagnosed aged 46 and took Tamoxifen for 5 years.

Clonindine was my life safer regarding hot flushes etc. helped me through both the weddings of my sons !!!

My consultant recommended gradually stopping though which I did, he said it wouldn’t be too hepful if I stopped suddenly.

I’m now 56 years old and am hoping that I’ve done my menopause, had hysterectomy a couple of years before diagnosis but if I do start the sweats I’ll ask for clonindine again.

Sue

Hi

I also take clonidine and it does help to calm downn the hot flushes.

Julia xx

Thank you for your replies everyone. I’m feeling optomistic now that I may get my life back with these.

Just thought I’d update this thread to say clonidine has been a miracle for me. Hot flushes have disappeared completely with no side effects except for a dry mouth which I can live with.
Only took 3 days to work. Just hope they continue to work but absolute life saver so far.

Just got to sort the aching joints and I may feel like I used to before all this started.