Anyone on/been on TCH protocol?

Hiya. Just wondered if anyone is/or has been on TCH (taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin) x 6 with herceptin continuing for further 12 sessions. I am starting chemo this wednesday (first experience of it) and just wondered if anyone would be willing to share their experiences / survival tips with me either on here or by pm’ing me.
Many thanks
Helen

Hi Helen,
I am having taxotere and carboplatin x 6, but not herceptin. I am assuming that the herceptin kicks in towards the end of the chemo treatment? There is another lady having this chemotherapy too, and possibly herceptin. I cant remember the thread but if you look in the chemotherapy section you might spot it.
I have had 2 cycles of carboplatin and taxotere so far. Have you had chemo before? I am happy to share my experience so far if this helps?
Rattles

i had the taxotere and carboplatin but no herceptin like rattles… this is my second type of chemo as i had E-CMF for my primary.

i am happy to share my experiences but did find it quite hard going but there was another lady having TCH when i was on the carbotax and she pretty much sailed through it… it was her first time on chemo and not sure if that makes a difference.

i wasnt sick on it… but did get a grotty sore mouth, painful muscles and bones and breathlessness and palpitations.

my last chemo was on 9th feb and still got a bit of preipheral neuropathy feet and fingers, broken nails, insomnia and fatigue… but going back to work in 2 weeks.
good luck with it. xxx

Hi Rattles, thanks for replying. I would love to hear of your experiences either on here or through pm. I have been warned that after I come off the steroids I am likely to feel very achey for 7-10 days.
I havent had chemo before. I was diagnosed in April with grade 2, 3cm oestrogen+, progesteron+ and her2 + tumour with no lymph node involvement. I am 38 (2moro!) I will be having the herceptin alongside the taxotere and carboplatin (on Wednesday I have the herceptin in the mornin then T&C in the pm).
I think that giving herceptin at the same time as T&C is a relatively new way of treating early breast cancer in the UK, which probably explains lack of replies!!! :slight_smile:
H.

Ooh I spoke to soon! Thank you Lulu for your input too. How did you deal with the sore mouth, and should I wear extra strong nail varnish on my nails…sorry for the random question!! x

Hi I have had 5 out of the 6 treatments of TCH that I am due to have. With the first session I had the Herceptin administered on the Thursday and the carboplatin and Taxotere the day after. I was told that the first dose of Herceptin would be a larger than normal dose to give a boost to the system and it would thereafter revert to the normal dose. It was given over 2hours and then followed by a 4 hour flush. This was to make sure I did not have an allergic reaction.
I have to say that the first cycle was the worst for me. I was ok for the first couple of days and then the flu like symptoms kicked in and I ached all over. This lasted for about 5 days. Looking back I did not control things as well as I could have because normal painkillers actually worked quite well. My advice would be not to be reluctant to take paracetamol regularly for the period you feel achy. I was also incredibly fatigued. It felt like all the energy had been completely sucked out of me and this lasted for about 5 days too.
The second cycle at which point I had the Herceptin and chemo drugs at the same time was miles better. I didn’t have the aches and pains and the tiredness was not as severe. On the whole I have tolerated the treatment reasonably well and have even managed to go back to work on a part time basis in weeks 2 and 3 of each cycle. Although I have been lucky not to suffer any nausea or sickness, I have had a jaw infection which I needed antibiotics for and now have a regular routine of brushing flossing and rinsing with Difflam mouthwash to keep any mouth ulcers under control. I have also now got a permanently salty taste in my mouth which means that chocolate no longer provides the pleasure it once did!!!
I hope this has been helpful and I am more than happy to answer any other questions that you have. Good luck and I hope it all goes really well for you.

Hi smallbutmighty. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, sorry to hear about the jaw infection sounds nasty. Your reports of fatigue and achiness fit what I got told yesterday so forewarned is forearmed, thanks for the paracetomol tip. Were you able to take paracetomol whilst on the steroids as the steroids have made me achey?
I am so glad you have been able to go back to work part-time as I am midway through a PhD and would like to keep up with my coursework if possible.
Off to be now I will let you know in the next few days how it does Wish I could have the TC on thurs and just the herceptin tomorrow…I am a wimp x

Hi Helen
I hope it all went well today with both treatments. In response to your question I would have thought it is fine to take paracetamol when taking steroids but you may be best checking that. I only take steroids the day before, day of and day after chemo. Having said that I would take paracetamol for something like a headache during this time anyway!!!
Both my ONC and Nurse Practitioners that I have come across during the course of my treatment keep saying what a harsh regime TCH is so you do not need to feel you are a wimp or feel inadequate if the treatment really knocks you for six.
Claudia

Hi Claudia, it went really well today, better than I couldve hoped and I got a really lovely aromatherapy foot massage to boot!! I had the herceptin first then a 20 minute flush before the taxotore and then the herceptin. A very long day…I was there at 8.45 and didnt leave until 5.15pm. I have to go back tomorrow for Neurolasta injection as neutrophils were low. Think this will add to the achiness!! I was given loads of anti-emetics to bring home and also some antibiotics to take from Sunday, but no mouth wash which I thought was strange! Are you by any chance having your treatment in North Wales as I mooted the idea of having hercpetin day before T&C for my first session and was then told how they did do that once and it made me wonder if it was you as so few people seem to be on this regime.Hx.

Hi H
So pleased that it went better than you thought. Know what you mean about long day. I had 2 long days with cycle 1 but got down to half days now. Even tho treatment should only actually take about 2.5 hours to administer it inevitably takes about 4 hours in total with lost time in between setting up each drug!
i live in South Yorkshire so am having my treatment in Sheffield. I think I will ask ONC at clinic next week how common our treatment plan is just out of interest. Hope you are feeling ok after Wednesday and have a good weekend ahead.
C x