Anyone on/considering statins?

I’m thinking of asking my GP for statins on back of the recent study (see link below) and was wondering if anyone has already done this and what the doctor(s) response/attitude to it was? Thanks

theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/03/statins-could-halve-risk-of-dying-from-cancer-says-major-study

HI Herewego,

Yes I too had read about statins and cancer.  I am still on sick leave having had op last week.  I will ask my gp (i work in my gp surgery) when I return.

Anything is worth consideration that might prevent return of the dreaded C. 

Sandra x

Hi Sandra, thanks for your reply.
I’m seeing my gp today so will report back what he says.
Wish you restful recovery from your op x

I would be most interested to see what GPs understand about the use of statins. I already take statins and aspirin daily having had a heart attack two years ago.  From the article it would appear they are saying that the statins prescribed once you had cancer helped you not to die from the cancer but the aspirin had a preventative effect. So aspirin has not prevented me getting cancer but maybe the statins will reduce the likelihood of me dying from it…does that mean it prevents it metastasising?  Also the side effects from statins are pretty rotten so people already experiencing side effects from a whole raft of other drugs would need to decide whether they want to add to the list of aches and pains.  Personally I find statins and Anastrazole together utterly exhausting but if they work then it will be worth it.

Katie

x