71693members
376054posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone opted just to take drug therapy instead of surgery?

3 REPLIES 3
Geordie_Lass

Re: Anyone opted just to take drug therapy instead of surgery?

Hi Carole,
I am sorry you have found yourself in the same boat as myself. It is such a shock.
After the needle biopsy, which confirmed it was indeed cancer the surgeon wanted me to have a full mastectomy within two weeks. However the next week, when I got the results of the core biopsy’s (I was bruised for 4 weeks) it showed the cancer was none aggressive and hormone receptive. I discussed the results with a different surgeon who said I would probably be suitable for a lumpectomy. We discussed the options, together with a McMillan nurse, I was told the cancer would respond to the hormone treatment which would probably shrink the tumour. The McMillan nurse said that at my age this type of cancer is very slow growing and that she had had patients on the tablets for up to 15 years. I have decided to take the tablets for the foreseeable future and if the tumour shrinks (hopefully to about the size of a pea) then surgery would be much simpler and no so intrusive.
I am trying to keep positive but the mind boggles with “what to do for the best” most friends say if it were them, they would want to get rid of it ASAP.
Let me know how you get on
Regards
Wyn
cleokeo

Hi
I too have just started on Letrozole and six days ago had the SNLB (I thoght when I retired from work that Id left all the acronyms behind!) - ie the wire and the dye etc. Like you Im such a wimp and feel squeamish at the sight of a bleeding spot1 However, honestly, it was ok. Slight discomfort in armpit but managing the exercises fairly comfortably and pain controlled by paracetamol, declofenac and sleep made easier by Herbal Nytol. Have no intention of removng the plaster though! Waiting for the results is hard though - I get these in about a week - and then its surgery. I was given no option re medication only.
This was not on my life plan when I retired a few months ago - and I feel very angry and confused.
all the best
Carole
Lucy_BCC

Hi Geordie Lass and welcome to the BCC forums

Whilst you await replies from your fellow users, please feel free to call our helpline to talk through your concerns on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday

Take care

Lucy

Geordie_Lass

Anyone opted just to take drug therapy instead of surgery?

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with breast cancer five weeks ago, it is a 38mm carcinoma, luckily it is none aggressive and hormone receptive. I have started on Letrozole hormone therapy to try to shrink the tumour before surgery. However I am a big wimp and my pain threshold is very low, I am dreading it. Maybe I shouldn’t have read all the forums about the treatment because the idea of having a wire pushed through my breast also an injection of dye into the nipple, makes me shiver with fear. Is it as bad as some think? I am hoping that the treatment will shrink the tumour and if so has anyone out there decided just to stay on the tablets and not go through the surgery? I am thinking of taking the easy way out but I am worried in case the cancer could spread.
I also have COPD and have been on daily steroids for years.