Anyone refused to have radiotherapy after surgery?

<Empty imported post>

I had rads but am curious lol and hope you don’t mind me asking, are you thinking of refusing it ?

Hi,

I am very interested in replies to this thread.  I am having chemo after WLE and axillary node clearance.  My breast looks so disfigured and nobody has expained the benefits of radiotherapy to me as yet - although I am sure it will come.  I understand that radio effects and causes changes in the appearance in the breast for 12 months, I can’t bear the thought of any more change.

Look forward to hearing some responses/

Love Su

XX

Hi all
Here’s a link to the BCC radiotherapy information which may be of interest to some:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/radiotherapy

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

I’m very worried about the radiotherapy. My lump was on the left hand side, and I am scared that the treatment will affect my heart. Especially the “boost” treatment, which will be aimed at the base of the tumour site - this is going to be very close to my chest wall.

What with the increased risk of heart problems from the chemotherapy I am having I do wonder if my risk of dying of a heart attack is soon going to outweigh my risk of the cancer coming back?!

Emxx

Hi Em
Our helpliners are on hand today 10-2 if you want to call and talk this through, the number to call is 0808 800 6000. (Weekdays 9-5)

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thanks Nanny_Sal. 

I had read about the breath holding thing, but didn’t know if it was used as standard at all hospitals? I will discuss it with the radiographers before it goes ahead, at the moment I am just trying to get through the chemo!

I hope you are doing well after your treatment.

Emxx

Hi I can understand your worry. Have you spoken to the Oncologist about the risk, they can now estimate the risk and in most cases it is very small. Radiotherapy halves the chances of the cancer coming back in 10 years from diagnosis and along with surgery is still the most effective treatment for early stage BC. x

Hi Hazel

I guess the best thing you can do at the moment is research all the options and have plenty of questions ready for the 9th. I don’t know if there are implications for the reconstruction if you have to have radiotherapy? None of these decisions are easy, are they!

Best wishes,

Emxx

I refused and one year check up is fine and all clear
But I need to work hard to achieve this