cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Radiotherapy April 2014

Highlighted

Re: Anyone starting Radiotherapy April 2014

Hi

I'm going to Oxford and they do a CT scan there. I think it must be the same everywhere from what others  have said. Best wishes for tomorrow.

Kathy

Highlighted

Hi

My planning appointment is tommorow. I hope that the wait is not too long. Does everyone have a CT scan?

Highlighted

Hi Angie

Thanks for the info that's helped ease my mind. I think it's fear of the unknown that's worse. I'll be thinking of you on the 3rd and hope all goes well. 

Take care

Kathy

Highlighted

Hi Kathy

I am pleased you have your planning appointment. The Ct scan is nothing to worry about. They use the same machine as they will use for your treatment. They take lots of measurements of your treatment area and position you where they need you for your treatment.They leave the room and the scan is done They then do two pin head tattoos none of this is painful. Don't worry this is the easiest part of the treatment. They then give you your appointment dates for your radiotherapy. Hope all goes well. I start my radiotherapy on 3rd April.

Angie. X
Highlighted

Hi ladies

I am going to have my planning assessment this Wednesday so should be starting my radiotherapy in April. I'm really nervous about having a CT scan. Any info and advice would be really appreciated.

Best wishes to everyone.

Kathy

Highlighted

Hello,

I started my radiotherapy this week (Monday 24th) and have had 4 sessions - 11 to go.  Had 2 operations December 13 and Jan 2014 for DCIS.  Have found that my skin is already quite pink and the scar area is sore.  I'm using E45 cream twice per day and have gone from a non wired cotton bra to a cotton top with hidden support as I can't really stand any pressure on that boob.  I mentioned yesterday to radiographer that I've got quite a lot of discomfort (inside) and this is quite common.  Starting to feel a bit tired now (have to travel 80 mile round trip) and I'm trying to go to work in the morning then go for treatment.  Have told work I might not be able to keep this up and I've booked the last week of treatment off.  I think I've been surprised how quickly the discomfort started although I was expecting some soreness to the skin as I tend to burn easily.  One of the nurses said to consider putting a cotton hankie over breast as some ladies find that helps to reduce friction - not tried this yet but I am interested in the advice from Penny regarding cabbage leaves Smiley Happy  Don't be scared by the size of the machines but be prepared for it to be quite cold in the treatment rooms as they have to use the air conditioning to keep the equipment cool.  Try to relax as much as possible and I find closing my eyes and not thinking about what's going on helps me to 'zone out' and the time passes quite quickly.  

Best wishes to everyone having or starting treatment x

Highlighted

I started 15 sessions of radiotherapy on 6th March so just have two sessions to go.  I used E45 cream daily for a week or so before my treatment started and have been using Holland & Barrett 99.9% Aloe Vera gel during treatment 3 times a day (when I get back from the hospital, morning and night). It's recommended on this site in another strand and by my radiographers. So far, I have some redness and my scars are a bit sore but very pleased overall with how my skin is coping.  I also just use E45 shower emollient cream or Simple soap to wash on the treated side.

The tiredness has gradually crept in and increased but after going back to work too soon after my surgery I've learnt my lesson and have agreed reduced working hours and rested well at the weekends. Means a few chores aren't getting done but who cares?

i did return to work between my WLE and radiotherapy, too early the first time then ok the second time 10 days later.  Very different being at home and feeling well to dealing with travelling to work, side effects from hormone therapy and the emotional rollercoaster we're all on!  Even on reduced hours, trying to deal with a busy workload with people who see you looking well (I didn't need chemo) so expect you to be 'fully recovered' isn't easy. So my advice would be to just make sure you really are strong enough before you go back.

Best of luck to those about to start.

Highlighted

Hi I have just registered o this forum. I had a lumpectomy and 2 lymphnodes removed, less than a week ago and wondered if you could advise me if I should return to work following this treatment or be off until after the 15 radiation sessions are complete. I do not like taking sick leave but just wondered what I should expect to happen. I work in an office but in a very high pressure job, I am 60 years old.

Highlighted

Hello ladies!  I finished my 15 sessions on 22 January and my skin is still sore and itchy- not a medical concern and probably partly because I am (or was) a redhead.  It was 5 weeks before I could bear to wear even a crop-top.  Now I can wear a bra for short periods and the tightness seems to help with the sensations. 

While I was having the rads, when my skin was first reddening (during week 2) I used cabbage leaves to keep it cool and pain-free.  This is a tip handed down on this forum but I had had this advice from my midwife when I was first breast-feeding.  It's an old country remedy which really works.  I used leaves from a big savoy cabbage but one of my fellow May Moonbeams used tops from Cauli or Sprouts- can't remember which.  Sadly, my re patch spread until it was the size of an A4 piece of paper and I couldn't find a cabbage leaf big enough to cover, and I couldn't keep it in place with no bra!

If you are worried about the slight smell (there does seem to be one) I found you can mask it with a cologne with sweet peas on the label; it's made by an English firm.  Good luck with your treatments.  And don't do what I did and fall asleep on the treatment table!

Highlighted

Hiya, I had my first radiotherapy session today.  I've got 19 altogether - usual 15 and then 4 as a boost due to my age (I'm 35).  Felt really nervous despite knowing that it should be fine as I've done the hard bit with the chemo.  Its all over really quickly and the radiographers are lovely.  I've got my E45 cream ready to apply and have heard that its mainly tiredness thats the problem but the radiographer said its nothing like the tiredness you get with chemo.

I also start Tamoxifen next week so expect that to have more of an effect on me.

Good luck to all you ladies starting your rads!

Emma xx

Highlighted

Hi 

I started to use the aqueous cream 2 weeks before my treatment & think it really helped. Also this time have been advised to just apply it and let it be absorbed & not to rub it in as this may aggravate the skin.

I found it more comfortable not to wear a bra when if I was just in the house as I didn't want anything next to my skin, although it was unusually warm weather at the time & I think that made me feel more uncomfortable.

If you feel tired have a nap when you want one & don't worry about when the housework etc will get done, there's always tomorrow.I used to make the mistake of standing ironing for ages or hovering the whole house thinking I felt ok then end up feeling like I'd been hit with a steam roller afterwards so just do a little at a time then have a break.

The main thing is be kind to yourself.

Hope all goes well when you start your treatment. xxx

Highlighted

Hi Jan & Fresia67

Thanks for your replies. I just thought it would be nice to post our experiences so that we can share the good and bad things together. I have not done a lot of reading up on Radiotherapy, getting tips from reading other ladies posts. I have a very dry skin so started putting aqueous cream on my boob as suggested by the Radiotherapy team. As Fresia 67 has been through it all before, perhaps she can offer us some do's and dont's. Keep posting everyone and we will get through it together. Lets put on a united front.

Take Care Everyone.

Angie.X

Highlighted

Hi Ladies

I started radiotherapy last week & have done 5 sessions of 23 so far, also did 15 last year so if I can help to answer any questions or anything at all before you start please feel free to ask. 

If it's any help I found it ok last time, my skin just got  a teeny bit sore but nothing major. Good luck to you both xxx

Highlighted

Hi Janjo and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support and shared experiences here I thought the link to the BCC radiotherapy information/ booklet might come in handy:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/radiotherapy

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

Hi Angie,

I'm new here but I start radiotherapy on 28th March and I think this thread is a great idea. I've got 6 weeks plus some sort of top up so I'll fin out more next week. I haven't read up too much about it , just aiming to take it as it comes but mutual support I'm sure would help. Best wishes to all too, Jan x
Highlighted

Anyone starting Radiotherapy April 2014

Hi All
I start my radiotherapy on 3rd April having 15 sessions. Anyone else starting perhaps we could add to this thread to keep everyone going and swap advice and info. Best Wishes to everyone starting.
Take Care
Angie. X