Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Radiotherapy April 2014

115 REPLIES 115
Angie55

Re: Anyone starting Radiotherapy April 2014

Hi Princessbear

I am pleased you have got your appointment. I think you should have finished before your well deserved hols. Make sure you put lots of cream on before you start your treatment. I am doing very well, much better than I thought and I am now back in a proper bra, got fed up wearing sports bras since January. I am getting married in Gibraltar in September so back to my planning, which were put on hold. Also got a week on North York Moors in June. Keep posting to let us know how you are getting on. If I can help you will any advise please ask. Look after yourself.

Take Care

Angie. X

Paula40

The wait for the oncologist appointment can be really awful. I asked my hospital to try to have it as soon as possible and they were great - doctor saw me after business hours 🙂
I was really anxious... What if she told me that I need quimio - not on the normal procedure for a grade I, but i wanted to hear from the doctor
Finally I know Tamoxifen - to start next week - and radio - appointment for the planning next Monday
Is good to start shaping the plan. Is like to see the light at the end of the tunnel
Hope you get it soon 🙂
Have a nice weekend
Paula XX
princessbear

Thanks Angie, guess what came in today's post! Appointment is Friday 30th May, which means it looks like being all on track to be completed before our holiday. I had to pay the final payment today, so it was good timing. So looking forward to the break and thankful we decided to book two weeks in the Cairngorm's in Scotland and not somewhere hot and sunny where I would have to be careful being in the sun. Now I have a date, feel much better, (the waiting is such a pain isnt it!) have been outside enjoying the sunshine gardening today.

How are you getting on Angie, now that your treatment has finished? Xx

Angie55

Hi Princessbear

After I had waited for about 2 weeks I made a call to oncology to tell them I was feeling anxious about the wait and that I knew it would be a few weeks before I saw the oncologist. I said I would feel better if I had a date to work to. I was given an appointment which makes you feel less anxious. I was treated at Northampton General. It might be worth a try as I dont think they want you to feel anxious about your appointment. 

Take Care

Angie.X

princessbear

Thanks Jaye and Angie for your replies. I knew I would have to wait because the surgeon told me I probably wouldn't see the oncologist for about four weeks ( which would be end of may) and then start rads about four weeks after that. So in my head I am thinking end of June. Its not having the date to even see the oncologist that's a pain. Work are being very good, but obviously they can't plan cover until I know when I'm going to be doing half days/ off. I know it will all happen but you are right I would like it over. I keep typing the date as 2015 at work and I think mentally I just want 2014 to be over! I will be sure to keep you posted. Good luck with the rest of your rads treatment Jaye. Xx

Jaye

Hi Princessbear

I was pretty much the same as Angie - I had my Oncology appointment 6 weeks after my operation then 10 days after that I had my planning appointment and 2 weeks after that I started radiotherapy.

I started radiotherapy 3 days ago and it was about 10 weeks from my operation.

I felt the same, just wanted to get on with it

Hope you don't have to wait so long, it does very depending on how busy your hospita is

Jaye x

Angie55

Hi Princessbear

The thing is you just want to get on with your treatment so you can move on. It was a month after I got my results that I saw the oncologist. I then had my planning meeting a week later and started Radiotherapy 2 weeks after that. It is all a waiting game. Hope you hear soon. Keep posting to let us know.
Take Care
Angie. X
princessbear

Feeling a bit fed up I haven't had an appointment letter yet to see the oncologist about starting rads. I have had a copy of the referral letter from my surgeon so know I'm in the system somewhere. It would be good to find out soon, its difficult to plan anything.

Angie55

Hi Keeks

I know I haven't wore a proper bra since January. I did try a few weeks ago but had to go back to my sports bra. Your sessions have gone really quick. Hope your last sessions go ok. I don't see oncologist until 24th July
keeks

Only got two to go. I  can't wait to wear a proper bra. I've worn sports bras since Feb. 

Glad to hear things are going well

Take care.

Keeks

Angie55

Hi Keeks

Sorry your name changed to Meeks.

Angie. X
Angie55

Hi Meeks

Yes the burn has now gone. I think the Aloe Vera did the trick. Started wearing a proper bra today. I am still putting the aqueous cream on. I keep looking at the May forum to see how everyone is doing. How is it going for you?

Take Care
Angie. X
keeks

Hi Angie

how are you doing now? Has the burn settled down?  

Keeks

kathy03

Hi Paula

I'm so glad our posts have helped you. This is a great forum for support and tips on how to cope with all the treatments we have to go through. Radiotherapy is doable just follow the advice they give you and of course post on here too. It's good to share.

Let us know how your appointment with oncologist goes.

Take care

Kathy

Paula40

Hello all
I'm waiting on my oncologist appoitment on May 29th. Most for sure I will have to do radioterapy, not sure how much, so I'm preparing myself and your words have been really helpful, thank you so much for that!
kathy03

Hi Angie

You can have a good rest now till you see oncologist. I hope you treat yourself and do something nice. I'll have a 6 week wait after radiotherapy to see mine so will be nice to do normal things for a while. I have 2 more treatments to the whole breast and then 5 booster sessions to the tumour site. At least zaps won't be directly onto the burn I have. The hydrogel they gave me is brilliant. You were right the time has gone quite quickly.

Take care

Kathy xx

Angie55

Hi Kathy

Sorry to hear that your burn  is still causing you trouble, at least you know it will get better, but will obviously take time. I know what you mean about the travelling mine was a 50 mile round trip and sometimes the machine was running an hour late, which just adds extra time on to your day. I have an appointment on 24th July to see the oncologist, so nice not to have to go to hospital appointments every week. I hope your treatment starts to get a bit easier for you. Please keep posting and let me know how you are getting on.

Take Care

Angie.X

kathy03

Hi Angie

That's great news your burn is better and you feel good with no pain. It's certainly encouraging to know that we can feel good again after treatment. I had my 12th treatment today with only another 8 to go so over half way now. The burn under my breast is sore but with gel and pads it's manageable. I have started to feel quite tired now but think the 50 mile round trip doesn't help. When do you see your oncologist for an after treatment review? 

I hope you have another good day tomorrow and lots more to follow. 

Take care

Kathy x

Angie55

Hi Kathy

How is the Radiotherapy going this week? This is the first day since my treatment that I actually feel like myself again. The burn under myarm has now cleared up and is not red anymore. I have not had any shooting pains since Monday. Could this be me getting back to normal?
Take Care
Angie. X
kathy03

Hi Angie

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with shooting pains. I have read that this is poblem with radiotherapy. I hope it eases. Glad your burn is getting better but it has taken time. I suppose that's because the radiotherapy carries on working after treatment has finished. I'm seeing the nurse again tomorrow just to check burn and am applying hydrogel and mepilex pad they gave me which helps. I am also putting in a cotton hankie   to stop any friction. The lengths we have to go to!   You're right Angie it is a hard road we're all on but we'll get through it. Onwards and Upwards!

Keep posting on your progress

Take care

Kathy x

Angie55

Hi Kathy

Sorry to hear about your burn, they are really sore. I still have mine under my arm. I am still using Aloe Vera and it is getting better not so red now. I do put a cotton hankie on it to stop the rubbing. It is 10 days since I finished now and I am getting some shooting pains inside my breast and it does feel a bit tender but nothing to bad. I hope you dont get any more burns and just think it will be all be over soon. I am trying to get life back on track now but I dont think it is that easy, but I am sure we will all get there in the end. We have to fight this and stay strong. Please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care

Angie

kathy03

Hi Angie

I hope the burn under your arm has healed now. Are you still feeling the effects of your radiotherapy? I've completed 9 sessions and have got a nasty burn under my breast. Hospital gave me some hydrogel to put on which acts like a second skin. They also gave me some mepilex pads that cover the gel. I have another 6 sessions on the whole breast and then 5 booster sessions just on the site where tumour was. Are you still using Aloe Vera? I couldn't get on with it as made sore too dry and cracked, hence the gel and pads. 

I hope you're enjoying the bank holiday.

Take care

Kathy x

Angie55

Hi Meeks
I am doing ok thanks. I am still putting on the aqueous cream 3 times a day and the Aloe Vera on my red armpit. I have got through 1 tube of Aloe Vera already. Hope your Radiotherapy is going ok you will be surprised how quickly it goes. Keep posting to let us know how you are getting on and if you have any questions just ask. No more hospital appointments until24th July.
Take Care
Angie. X
Sugal

You can get odd pains for quite a long time afterwards. Nothing to worry about tho as it's just your body repairing itself.
Sugal

My lucky number is 13 - so there's no bad significance for you either! The time goes so quickly that it won't seem like 33 sessions. Always treat yourself after each session. x
keeks

Hi Angie

how is it now it's finished. How do you feel.

Keep posting, I'm very interested in how it keeps working after the rad's are done.

Hope you enjoyed finally having no appointments. 

Keeks

LG24

Hi Angie

Thanks for the tips. Aloe Vera safely stored in the fridge! I'm hoping that if I keep applying the E45 I will keep sores to a minimum.

Take care LG24
Angie55

Hi Lg24
It really is good to put as much cream on as possible. I was told to make sure it was rubbed in properly as if not it will act as another layer of skin. I got my Aloe Vera from Holland & Barrett, keep it in the fridge so it is really cold. I used it on a red sore that I had in my armpit. Another tip if this happens to you tuck a cotton hanky covering the armpit to stop it rubbing. Hope your treatment goes well. Any questions just ask.
Take Care
Angie. X
LG24

hi Keeks

I have been using E45 cream my oncologist told me this is ok to use. I started applying it about a week before I started Rads. I have been shopping today and bought Aloe Vera Gel from Holland and Barrett - must be 99.9% aloe Vera. I also got some Salt of the Earth Natural Deodorant.

I took my E45 cream with me today and applied it straight away when I was getting dressed. I have been told to apply it 4 times a day but I am planning to apply as much as possible as a number of people have said that the more you moisturise the less likely your skin is to breakdown.

Hope today's treatment was ok.

Take Care LG24
keeks

Hi LG24

I had my first yesterday as well. I've posted on the May thread as most of mine will be in May.

I was quite surprised that my boob is like a warm loaf just out of the oven after just one treatment.

what advice were you given as regards cream, soap and what to put on your boob.

keeks

June_BCC

Hello LG24

Welcome to the forums, I’m so pleased that you are finding the forums helpful.

As well as the suport you may receive on the forums we also have a helpline where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

LG24

Hi Ladies

I had my first Radiotherapy session yesterday. Thanks for all your comments - I have been reading but not contributing!

I have been putting E45 cream on for a week now, I was surprised how hot my boob was yesterday after only one treatment.

I had High Grade DCIS in my left breast had surgery 5th March followed by a Cavity Shave 26th March. I am having 33 treatment (which seems more than a lot of people). I am also taking part in the TROG 07.01 research study - Anyone else taking part?

Having my treatment at Weston Park in Sheffield.

Roll on Friday 13th June when I finish! Hope this date is not significant - although I do like the number 13 and have it in my lottery numbers but then again I haven't won yet!

Take Care x
Angie55

Hi Ladies

I had my last session of Radiotherapy yesterday. I am pleased that it is all over, no more hospital appointments now for 3 months. The radiographer told me my skin has held up well during my treatment and think I should be ok. I only have a red sore in my armpit, which I am treating with Aloe Vera and having a cotton hankie in my armpit when I drive to stop the fiction of the skin rubbing. I was told that I could still get shooting pains and tenderness in my boob for the next 7 - 10 days, as this treatment will still be working. Hope all you ladies that are receiving Radiotherapy and are about to start the treatment get through it ok. If I can help anyone just ask.

Good luck to all ladies starting Radiotherapy next week.

Take Care

Angie

Angie55

Hi Frances

I am sorry t hear about the itching. I have a red rash in my armpit but it doesnt itch. I have been using Aloe Vera which is very cooling if left in the fridge. I put a cotton hankie in my armpit when driving to stop it rubbing. I bought sports bras and just tuck it in seems to stay in place. I was told to raise my arm when resting at night to let the air circulate around the rash. I have only one more session now. Hope it gets better for you. I will be thinking about you.
Take Care

Angie.X

FrancesM

Thanks Fresia67 - I am now trying ale vera - it's very cooling. The hydrocortisone doesn't seem to help me either!

kathy03

Hi Angie

That's great you're doing well and your skin is looking good with only 2 sessions to go. I hope your armpit gets better soon. I think I'll get some Aloe Vera just in case. My 2nd session went well and didn't take as long as yesterday. Keep posting.

Take care

Kathy x

kathy03

Hi Liggy

Hope your 2nd session went well today.

Take care

Kathy

Angie55

Hi Liggy
Pleased you first session went well. Just keep putting on the cream and make sure you drink plenty. I have 2 sessions left and think I have got through it without to many problems. Keep posting to let us know how you are getting on. Any questions just ask.
Take Care
Angie. X
Angie55

Hi Kathy
2 more sessions now. I had a review meeting today, they checked my skin and scars and said they were all looking good. They told me that the treatment is still working 7 to 10 after you finish Radiotherapy. I just have a red rash in my armpit but I am putting Aloe Vera on that, I keep it in the fridge so its really soothing. I haven't had any problems with tiredness.
Hope your treatment continues to go well.
Take Care
Angie. X
kathy03

Hi Angie

I hope you're sailing through your treatment without any problems. It's not long to go now!  I hope you're not feeling too tired. You keep posting too.

Kathy x

liggy

I also had my first session at the Churchill yesterday - all good and nothing to worry about as far as the actual sessions go. Hoping I get through without too many side effects - moisturing like mad and following all the great advice from everyone. 

Liggy x

Angie55

Hi Kathy

I am pleased that your first session of Radiotherapy went well. Your next sessions will fly by. I have 3 left now. Hope it continues to go well for you. Keep posting,

Take Care

Angie

kathy03

Hi ladies

Well that's my first zap over, 1down 19 to go! Everyone was great and really made me feel at ease. Francis sorry to hear you're having a difficult time at the moment, I hope you can find something to help soon. Thanks again Angie and Yvonne for good wishes. Hope all is going well with everyone's radiotherapy.

Take care

Kathy x

Magical_Moon

Hello FrancesM,
I had terrible itching plus radiation dermatitis and the hydrocortisone cream the oncologist prescribed didn't help. So like Fresia, I took an antihistamine tablet (Piriton) and it gave me some relief. At least, I didn't feel like I had been rolling around in a pile of nettles.
I carried on using the aqueous cream the hospital gave me for a few weeks after my radiotherapy finished and also used pure Aloe Vera gel. Radiation carries on working in your breast for about two weeks after treatment ends because of its half life.
Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!!!
M x
Sugal

Shampoo

I was advised not to use ordinary shampoo or conditioners.  I used Simple shampoo and conditioner, as it doesn't contain the chemicals that can affect radiation.  Alternatively, if you have a shower over the bath, you can wash your hair with the shower head, whilst leaning over the bath.  Hope this helps and hope your treatment is going smoothly.  Expect some soreness towards the end and some brown skin possibly, under the arm and under the breast.  This is normal.  All the best.

Fresia67

Hi FrancesM
You could try taking a antihistamine tablet daily to relieve the itching. I gave up with the hydrocortisone cream as I found it irritated me more as my sessions increased but that's just me & we are all different. Eventually I just used an organic aloe Vera lotion that was passed onto me by a friend & that worked for me. You're probably already doing it but keeping your creams/gels in the fridge helps too. I do sympathise with you & Hope you find your solution soon x
Sugal

Starting radiotherapy

Totally agree with the moisturising advice.  Radiotherapy doesn't hurt at all but can be a little distressing as you are being blasted, so if like me, they put the radio on, just sing along in my mind to the song (hope you know it!!).  It only lasts less than 5 minutes and I also found that it took about 50 of my slow in and out breaths and I found this really helped.  Good Luck - you can do this!

kathy03

Hi Angie

Thanks for your good wishes. I'll post later how it went. I hope your 'zaps' are going well.

Take care

Kathy x

Angie55

Hi Kathy

Hope your first appointment goes well today. I will be thinking about you. As other ladies say it does go really quickly.

Take Care

Angie

kathy03

Hi Yvonne

Thanks for your good wishes and the reminder about aqueous cream. My appointment's at 5.00pm so keeping myself busy till I have to go. 

Take care

Kathy