1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo August 2015?

bravescholar

Re: Anyone starting chemo August 2015?

That makes sense re the nails, Bibi, as Taxol is light sensitive. Bit late now, perhaps, for the nail varnish. Onwards and upwards. x

Bibi44

Tania I didn't see a thing because they draped a sterile towel over my face with a gap at the side taped to a drip stand . . I was in my low immune system week, so perhaps they were being super cautious. One word of warning . . The music they played was dreadful! I was expecting something classical/relaxing but it was Lady Gaga of all things on a loop. Torture!

Brave that nails thing sounds very uncomfortable/unpleasant for you. Would it be worth trying the ice mitts/slippers if they have them at your hospital? I read somewhere non-official that it's the taxol reacting to light in the nail bed, hence the advice about dark nail varnish . . I guess you could always get on the Michael Jackson gloves 🙂 BBx

carolec

Good luck Tania with your first T - I also had the port fitted under local and dont remember a thing about it, although I was apparently awake!  Having it taken out on Monday under the same procedure as it'll be my last taxol (Paclitaxol) tomorrow.  Brave - I also have night sweats on the taxol and about to start letrozole soon so hope that doesn't make them worse!  Sorry to hear about your nails sounds awful - I painted my toe nails black but thought I was a bit past it for the goth look on finger nails - although if it saves your nails why not!  Bibi good luck with the herceptin and taxol - I have my 5th herceptin Thursday week and so far been ok but not sure about the herceptin/letrozole combo!  Hope everyone else is ok 

bravescholar

Hi all.

Good luck, Tania.

Yes, Bibi, we all survived the party. Like chemo, it was worse than I thought it'd be! We'll get him driving lessons for Christmas... although we've told him he needs to improve his timekeeping first (he's late for everything).

I'm now on Taxol, which is paclitaxel, as opposed to Taxotere, which is docetaxel. Same type of drug, not sure of differences between them. Potential side effects, perhaps?

I had my first Taxol session last Wednesday. I've had no nausea or anything like that but I've woken up a few times in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT and thought I'd finished with all that, being postmenopausal! 

My nails are suffering badly, although that had already started under the AC part of the chemo. The pinkie nail on my right foot just peeled right off the other night and both thumb nails and a couple of finger nails are very, very painful. I can type but it's almost impossible to pull up zips, open bottles, etc. The nail bed of the left thumb looks very inflammed and I fear the worst...

Energy levels have been ok. Was very tired y'day but as you saw on the blog I'd been running around like a mad woman the day before. I forced myself to get on my exercise bike for a bit y'day afternoon and then last night I had the best night's sleep I'd had in weeks... with no sweats.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I remain ok as on Friday we're off to Paris for a few days! We were in two minds about whether to do it but then decided to go for it. We're taking the boys out of school on the Friday and the oncologist moved my appointment from next Monday to next Tuesday so we can get four days there. 

Can't complain too much, I guess.

Good luck everyone with whatever's next. x

Tania786

Hi all, good to hear that all are manging ok with their chemo.

I'll be going for my first T in 2 hours... Fingers crossed!

Bibi - thanks for the info on the port. I'm hoping to go with local as well. Were you able to see the whole procuder/stiching up?

Good luck everyone!
Bibi44

Hi all hope you're OK today. Just wondering how Brave & Richelle are getting on with the taxotere? Brave, I saw on your blog that you had your son's 17th, so you're were obviously vertical (at the start of the night anyway) rather than horizontal, which is good news. Ours had his 17th this month & started driving lessons last Sat. Called after to say he thinks he's got it all now . . . . Gotta worry about the lack of road awareness ha ha. I had a bad day 1 of last EC, but nausea lifted on day 2 (great) & feeling ok today, just a little knackered. Glad to see the back of that vile stuff. Onto the Herceptin & Paclitaxol next, with whatever joys they will bring. I'm not exactly half way yet, because they decided 12 rather than 9 weeklies, but psychologically I'm through phase. Better shut up now (steroids in system!!) xx

Lisalouw

Hi ladies , hope everyone muddling through , I've been for my flu jab today , thought I best get it as I have a little one at school so lots of viruses going round at moment , had my bloods done too so hopefully will be ok for chemo on fri , I'm also on 3 lots of antisickness , the last time I had chemo in 2013 I hardly felt sick at all , but this time it's a lot worse , my chemo unit don't offer the cold cap on TAC , but I did have tax last time and used cold cap , I did manage to hold on to quite abit , so I'm a baldy at the mo , a port sounds similar to my Hickman line , it's a tube in my chest , I did manage to yank it the other day though and make it bleed so I'm having to redress at the moment , all the best to everyone xxx
Bibi44

Hi JHB certainly recognise the 'just holding it down' phrase! I had exactly the same drugs/chemo as you. Hope you're a bit better this morning. On cold capping & tax, if you can get weeklies it's a much shorter infusion time, although obviously you have  to do it more often, so swings & roundabouts really.  Our unit doesn't allow cold capping with the 3weekly taxol because of that. Ask Richelle she had her first tax recently. x

jhbee

Hi everyone,

Hope you're doing ok,

Glad you managed to hold everything down Bibi, hopefully it will just get easier.

I had my last EC yesterday and they had prescribed me EMEND due to the 2 nights in hospital from sickness last time. Although the nausea is still here (even with the EMEND, dexamethasone, ondanstetrone and cycliizine - phew!!) it seems to be holding everything down at least!

Had my meeting with the Onc on Friday and they confirmed will be putting me on to Tax next. I'll go with whatever they think neccesary, and I think that there are a number of you on the board doing tax so I'll be interested to hear everyone elses experiences of it. I've decided to carry on with the cold cap as it's worked ok so far but I hear it's worse with tax as you have to keep it on for a lot longer..

Hope you all have as good a week as possible,

Jx

Bibi44

Thanks all for your good wishes, it was more horrible than chemo 2, but nowhere near as bad as chemo1 & feeling slightly better today. Started being sick, so I got the GP to prescribe some more drugs just before they closed & that calmed it down enough to sleep. Marsden helpline had said go to A&E . . I could barely stagger to the lav, let alone drive & then hang around for hours.  Honestly.

Tania I've got a port & had no trouble with it. You have to go in for operation under either local or general. I  had a local because I was scared of being sick after the general & was fine. It did hurt a bit for 2 days & you are aware of it because it sticks up (mine's also right on my bra line so was rubbing & had to use diff bra). At least you can sill have the chemo through the PICC before they whip it out.

Carole I asked onc about port & she said take it out after last chemo & do the herceptin in the thigh just like you said.

Best wishes to you all. So pleased last pukey vile (F)EC is over!!! XxxxxX

Tania786

Hi Lisalouw and Carolec - thanks for your msgs.

I'm having a port which a plastic triangle thing which goes under the skin in the chest area. Appartenly, it's better than picc line as this is discreet with no hanging tubes.

My hubby just injected the blood thining injection for me and it was stinging a lot! Onco never mentioned anything to me. I have to bear this for 3 months!

I have been told to do hot and cold compress on my eye so will try that.
carolec

Hope everyone ok today - Bibi hope the chemo went ok and you're resting.  Tania I had a blood clot a week after they put the port in and had to go into hospital for 2 days on a blood thinning drip - funnily enough at the time I had a sty and it spread to a double one so I did look great walking round the hospital with my drip and crusty eye.  They gave me antibiotic eye drops and I've also got some fucithalmic cream - think we must all be run down with this treatment.  I've been on clexane injections since August and have port out next Monday and can't wait to get rid of the thing! xx

Lisalouw

I'll try the book bibbi, where did you get yours from , I'll try anything really to stop it from coming back , the peeling skin is so strange , my nails are looking a little black too
Hi Tania , I chose to have double mastectomy , this is my second time round with breast cancer , I had a lumpectomy last time in 2013 , I had genetic test last time and was negative but I'm bring referred again , not got an appointment yet , I was told it's a long wait , I'm on t , had 3 rounds of it with a and c , don't be too scared , I've found it hard going and had my dose reduced twice , but I seem to be very sensitive to a lot of medicines , a lady who I met on chemo ward was fine with it just extra tired , so you may be like her , and my side effects are all digestive , but I suffer in that department anyway , are you having a Hickman line put in your chest if you cannot have your picc in ? Xxx
Tania786

Hi all, I'm back from the hospital. Had a vascular scan which turned out to be for my arm where i had the picc line put in. Anyway they said there's a slight blood clot forming in the vein where the line is inserted. Went to see the onco afterwards and was told to start taking blood thining injection from today for 3 months. They will also be removing the picc after the chemo on Weds.

Onco has now reffered me to have a port put in as I would still have 2 more chemos to do.

With regards to my runny nose, onco said due to no hair in my nose am having a runny nose. She didn't give any medicine. And she thinks I have a sty in my left eye that's why I have a pain and sowelling.

Hi Lisalouw, you said you had mastectomy, did your genetics test come back positive?

I'm 36 yrs old and been diagnosed with triple negative in July. I had genetics test and it came back negative. So I'll having radio after my chemo. I had 3 Fec and now going to have first Tax on Weds. So nervous about the side effects.
Bibi44

I peeled anywhere I didn't moisturise . . Behind my ears, bit between eyebrow & eye, inside ears . . Weird or what!?! Book is interesting/quite short. Food for thought certainly. x

Lisalouw

Hi bibbi44 , no I havnt read that book is it any good , to be honest I've not read much , I was working full time and being a single mum I didn't have much time , I'm hoping I can change some things after all this so it's nots all so rushed and stressful all the time , my chemo hopefully be this Friday so I'll be in bed most of the week , my Hickman looks a little crusty today , i really wouldn't want it putting in again it was horrible , mines in my chest , I know what you mean you do anything to not have any delays , my feet get sore too , my palms and behind back of my ears peeled too , strange , Lisa xxx
Bibi44

Ps as it's your second go & you are single mum . . Have you read Stop Feeding Your Cancer book?x

Bibi44

Hi Lisalou My port was sore today, after they did bloods via it on Fri. I didn't tell them because I thought they might not do the chemo through it. I think I was a bit allergic to the antiseptic they out on on Fri. Hope you haven't done anything to your PICC, i wouldn't want the port putting in again. I've mainly had digestive stuff, plus sore feet, as if you have cut them, but nothing to see & some nappy rash (nice). When's your next one? BBx

Lisalouw

Good morning , I don't sleep too good either , my nose runs and I keep getting a sore throat bibbi44 , I didn't know if the nose thing was allergies or that I've no hair up there to stop any allergens getting up there , what's with the clearing ha ha , I've been at it too , went to my house the other day and started on the kitchen cupboards , I'm off for my flu jab in morning , has anyone had theirs during chemo ? I managed to yank my Hickman line yest , grrr , so it's abit sore , had to put a dressing on it , I'll have to get it checked when I see my oncologist on weds , hope everyone ok , I'm on tax , had 3 lots so far , I know some have mentioned going onto it , some I've know have had no proems at all just tired , my problems are mainly digestive , but I have a dodgy tum without the chemo so that might just be me xxx
Bibi44

Ah thanks all . . Been awake since 3.30am! Tania my nose runs the whole time & I read a SE of Paclitaxel is a runny nose . . I might need a nose bag soon, as it's soooo sore now, like when you get a cold. Also have slightly runny/puffy eyes in the morning. Very glam. Poor hubby. Xx

Sarahd-1

Carol I've been chucking so much stuff out. We are buying a house so I've gone into over drive on throwing things out. And I've been packing things aswell but we probably won't be moving till after Christmas so at least chemo will be over with by then 🙂
Sarahd-1

Aww bibi I hope things that I have put on here don't scare you Hun. Like 1 and 2, 3 is very doable. I think I was at a bit of a low mood. But all good now you will be fine just keep doing what you are doing. I would say if you are struggling with water make sure you have some ice and some sort of cordial. Good luck be thinking of you xx xxxxxxxx
Tania786

Good luck Bibi. Hope all goes well.

I'm meeting my onco tomorrow for pre chemo assessment and I'll have my 4th cycle on Weds for first T. Very nervous about the side effects. Any tips would be appreciated from anyone who has had their first T.

My runny nose is really bad now and also my left eye has swollen a bit and it's painful. I'llbe asking my onco for any medicine tomorrow.

I still have my eye brows and eye lashes. My nails have discoloration though.
Debs30

Good luck for tomorrow Bibi xxxx

shazza45

Good luck for tomorrow Bibi fingers crossed for a re run of no2! Xx
Bibi44

Thanks ladies I'm hoping for  re-run of chemo 2, as have been fine for the last 2 weeks, but the others seem to have found chemo3 a little harder, so have that in the back of my mind too. x

carolec

Good luck for tomorrow Bibi - you'll be half way there and that's brilliant!  Sarah I had a real clean out when first diagnosed and now got the bug again - the way I'm going I'll have to buy a whole load of new clothes! xx

Sarahd-1

Good luck for your halfway mark BIbi. I have been chucking so much stuff out like you said on the other thread. You might be right it might be a control thing 🙂 xxxxx
Bibi44

Hi Lisalou Good to hear from you again & sorry it's been hard on you.  I remember you had some trouble at the start. Well we're all around half way through except Carole, who will beat us all to the finish line. I've got no.3 in the morning. x

carolec

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time of it Lisalou - you'll get lots of support and advice on here and you must be half way through so that's brilliant - hopefully the reduced dose will be a lot better xx

Lisalouw

Hello ladies , I posted when this thread started back in august and not managed to keep up with it , the chemo has been knocking my socks off , I'm on TAC which is quite hard going , I've now had it reduced to 80% , I'm now 3 down , I'll update as I'm sure no one will remember that far back , I hope I can join you ladies again , I'm 44 , I have had bilateral mastectomy and I'm triple negative , and this is my second time round with breast cancer , I'm a single mum to a gorgeous 5 yr old little boy , I'll try and be good and read posts when my brain not foggy and the little man let's me xxx
bravescholar

Good luck with it all, Shelly.

Shellyjenks

Not too good with it all to be honest, the first week after chemo, I am no help to anyone,just sleep a lot,which makes me feel awful, as I have 3 children to look after, thank goodness my parents live near and my partner of over 4 years has been amazing. X
bazza7676

She started Thursday early afternoon. The evenings are where she has the nausea. You? x
Shellyjenks

Hi Bazza, how is your wife tolerating the chemo?
bazza7676

Shelley you're similar to my wife Nikki who had lumpectomy, auxiliary clearance with 2/13 nodes affected x
Shellyjenks

Hi Debs and Bibi, thanks for your replies. Debs I had lumpectomy and auxiliary clearance, 2 out of 15 of my lymph nodes were cancerous, I didn't find a lump, I noticed changes to my right breast, nipple was becoming inverted. I haven't tolerated the fec very good, just felt like a zombie. Hope you both have a good weekend too. Yes Bibi, said 3 weeks after chemo will have radiotherapy x
Bibi44

Hi Shelly well done on getting to the half way point without a  single moan on here! Best of luck for the rest. I think we're all expecting the T phase to be worse, but at least we have 3-4 weeks off after that before radioT. Have a good weekend. BBx

Debs30

Hi Shelly

You are a day different to me , my first was the 27th August and if all goes to plan last one will be the 10/12/2015. I too am very apprehensive of the T as the Fec has been very doable for me .

A few ladies on here are at the same point as we are. This forum has been wonderful and very informative. It really helps to speak to and read other ladies experiences on this journey we all face. Are you having chemotherapy first ? .

Hope you have a good weekendxxxxx

Debs

Shellyjenks

Hi all, I'm a late starter to the group, started fec on 28/8/15, had my 3rd lot on 9/10/15. All I am thinking about is the 4th round, which is the taxotere. I'm dreading it and can't wait for my last session which will be on 11/12/15.
bravescholar

They gave me OnicoLife drops to rub in a week before I started on the Taxol/paclitxel in preparation but they'd already gone brittle with the previous chemo drugs :-(.

Bibi44

What a weird side effect re the nails . . Not sure what you can do about that except pray! Did you go with the dark nail varnish or eau naturelle? x ps Sarah have a good w/endxx

Sarahd-1

Hi ladies Bibi nearly half way through for you too now 🙂 I hope this last bit for all of us goes really fast with no complications. I think I am on the up again. I have stayed in quite a lot this time but I think I should make my self go out as I have been out today and feel so much better for it. Richelle I hope you are feeling ok.Brave I hope your nails get better. Debs Im the same as you I have not drunk as much either so I am on squash as it least its something. Also I find soda water a bit more helpful with some ice with lemon and lime but can make you a bit windy. Carol must be a huge relief to get the port out and no more injections 🙂 Big hugs to you ladies hope I havent forgotten any one. Hope you have a lovely weekend xxxxxx
bravescholar

Thanks for asking, Bibi. It was fine in the end. Cough is indeed on the way out and I'm feeling fine.No aches and pains yet and nausea's in check. Fingernails not looking good, though.Thumb nails tender and feel as if they could split at any time.

Bibi44

Hi Brave how rayon doing after your marathon chemo sesh yesterday? Hope the cough is on the way out x

bravescholar

Sorry can't help, Hazel, but good luck.

Bibi44

Sorry 'recovers'! Blooming autocorrect.x

Bibi44

Sorry Hazel I don't think we've had too much of the that on August, but a few of the Sept ladies have had neutrophil issues. You could ask them. Very annoying for you. Fingers crossed it revivers over the weekend. BBx

HazelBarney

I'm a September starter but am asking you lot as you're a bit further down the road!

I'm due to have my third cycle of EC on Monday so went for blood test and to see onc yesterday. Onc was happy with my progress but didn't have blood results back.  Just rang chemo unit for them and neutrophils are low again 0.9 so I have to go in early Monday for a repeat blood test.  This happened before my second cycle too. Has anyone else experienced this and any tips to boost it up?  It has deflated me because I feel really well and have stayed off work this time so not overdoing it.

I will be eating lots of fruit and veg over the weekend to try and boost myself up!

Bibi44

Thanks Carole. I might have to exert a bit of patient power & get it taken out when chemo stops. Have a good dayx