1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo August 2015?

Bibi44

Re: Anyone starting chemo August 2015?

That's a bit close for comfort. You don't want to be stuck there on Christmas day.  Mind u will be nice to be all finished by Dec 31st & start 2016 with fresh slate.  Do you need rads too? xx

bravescholar

Yes, nice to be getting to the end of the first leg of the "journey". Meeting breast surgeon later today to talk through op. Think date is 19 Dec, with a view to getting me home if all goes well on Xmas Eve...
Bibi44

Congrats Richelle & Brave, must be amazing to just have one more left . . I'm green with envy. Lisa hope it goes well tomorrow xx

Richelle

Hi all,

Spent the morning at the hospital today seeing two oncologists one for a review of my chemo and one to set up my radiotherapy which is due to start week beginning 16th Dec - 20 sessions with time off on the BHs for good behaviour. 

Just have to have another appt to CT scan my chest so they hit the right areas, get my tattoos then good to go starting four weeks after my last chemo.

Also do not have to see my oncologist again now until February so thought long and hard about asking the dreaded question about how likely it is not to return!  Taking into account my age 43, the fact that it was stage three, triple negative and a tumour type normally found in the lung he has said I have greater than a 50% chance of it not returning BUT this goes up hugely after the three year point. They are also going to do some genetic testing in Feb to check if I carry the BRCA gene. Not really what I wanted to hear but then perhaps I shouldn't have asked the question in the first place and they do say damn lies and statistics. Also on a positive note last chemo on Monday yeah!

Shelly sorry to hear you have been in hospital hope your feeling better soon, brave hope the shopping didn't  bank too much and ladies hope the reduced dose is a kinder for you, take care and keep plodding onwards xxxxx

bravescholar

Good luck tomorrow, Lisa. I had my 2nd last session yesterday. Sat on sofa for most of day then forced myself to go out and do the shopping. Glad I did. xx
Lisalouw

Hi ladies , I have my chemo tom , 5th TAC , it's been reduced past twice to 80% , I'm having abit of a panic at the moment , why I do this to myself I do not know grrr , I saw a different consultant yesterday , my usual one is on holiday , I told her my neuropathy in hands and feet had got better , and now today it's only come back , how that's happened i do not know , I'm wondering if anxiety has anything to do with it , so I'll have to mention it to my chemo nurse tom , I think the steroids are making me jittery and mind go on overdrive .
Hi Tania , I have a Hickman line fitted , they do numb you with local to put it in and there is a lot of tugging and pulling and it is quite sore after , I personally don't like mine ,as it's a reminder all the time of the chemo , but needs must and it does make it easy for chemo and bloods and such , no needles , no soreness or painful veins and if you only got 2 more to go it won't be in for too long anyway , love to everyone xxxx
Shellyjenks

Thanks Bibi, home now, feeling much better. All the best everyone xx
Bibi44

Shelly sorry to hear you are in hospital & hope you feel better soon. Good luck to all having chemo later this week. xx

Shellyjenks

Hi all, day 11 after T, at present in hospital since Saturday, picked up infection. Just be glad when this is over had enough now. Fed up of wearing my wig, don't wear anything when at home. Lovely to hear how you are all doing, love Shelly xx
Tania786

Thanks Bravescholar and Lisalouw. I had all the se with this drug and also my thumb and first two fingers were very painful/numb. That's why they are reducing it. Hope i get less se after tomorrow's cycle.

Also just went to see people for the port abd the lady suggested Hickman line as I only got two more chemos left. Feeling a bit nervous about getting it done as i was mentally prepared to get port put in. Has anyone had hickman line put in?

Lisalouw - You will be fine for Friday and hope all goes well with you.
bravescholar

You will get used to your wig, Lisa. I think everyone struggles with them initially.xxxx

bravescholar

It's at iamtheoneineight.wordpress.com.
Lisalouw

Hello ladies , I've just been for my bloods doing ready for my 5th cycle of TAC , I've also had my chemo reduced by 20% , my onc says it still has benefit upto 50% reduction , and they only do it as a guide on height and weight as they don't know how toxic it's going to be to us , but yes you do worry it's not going to work , but it does depend on how severe the side effects are and they don't want to get to the point where they can't give us any chemo at all , that's what I was told when I was apprehensive , I'm not looking forward to no 5 , and the date , this fri 13 th !!!!! Also my 5 yr old is being very clingy and emotional , I'll be so glad when the chemo over and we can move back home and get some normality back , he may settle more then .
I'm also struggling with my wig , had it on about 4 times , it's so warm , so I'm still hat wearing , but not now phew it's so warm today , brave where can I access your blog , I'd love to read it , Lv to everyone xxxxx
bravescholar

Tania, i forgot to say i'm having my paclitaxel reduced by 25% for tomorrow's session because i've developed peripheral neuropathy in my right foot. If it gets worse they might not do the last session at all. The onc clearly wants to see the whole thing through as the chemo is having such an effect, but not at the expense of long-term nerve damage. Oh, the joys.
Tania786

Hi all, I saw my onco yesterday and they have reduced the dose of T by 20%. As I had a really bad first cycle of T. I'm due to have it tomorrow after the port appt. fingers crossed!

Can i ask if anyone else has their's reduced? I was a bit worried and asked if it will be less affective after reducing it by 20% and was told that it's fine as it's not a lot and it won't be less effective.
Bibi44

Thanks for the info Brave Brilliant news about further shrinkage & potentially keeping the nipple so you have a matching pair. Sorry to hear you might be losing some nails though. Good luck for your Tax LisaJ xx 

lisajane7878

Brave that's great news regarding the mri. My situation seems very similar to yours. I'm with my oncologist today and need to ask for checks to start herceptine and also need an mri to monitor shrinkage. I can hardly feel lump now so that's good. I have my first T tomorrow. I know a lot worry about this one but personally I'm happy to not have the dreaded sickness xxx
bravescholar

Bibi, painful nails lasted 3 or 4 days and it only happened after the first cycle, not the second. My third cycle is tomorrow. While no pain now, a few of those damaged nails are lifting from the nailbed and it looks like i may lose a few. Yesterday's appointments went really well. Latest MRI scan shows chemo shrinking tumour down even further and they also now can't detect any affected lymph nodes. Mastectomy and lymph node clearance still needed cos of size and aggressive nature of tumour at time of diagnosis but this is great news as it means the chemo will also be working on any stray cells that have broken away but can't be detected... which is what the chemo is for in the first place. Tumour has shrunk away from nipple so much they may be able to keep the nipple and sew it on to the reconstructed boob! Meeting plastic surgeon this morning.Love to all.xxxxxxx
Bibi44

Ps RaeB I was on the receiving end of a  similar diagnosis to you in June, but 20mm. You must be having Herceptin too? 

Bibi44

Welcome RaeB & sorry to hear you are going through all of this alongside us.

Well had my first Tax yesterday . . . a very spacey affair.  I felt as if I was coming round from an anaesthetic, as I kept falling asleep & people were waking me up for things the whole time.  Came home & just fell asleep all afternoon & even slept well last night with steroids on board. Maybe Tax has the ability to turn you into a dormouse!?! Still, no nausea or sickness, so really appreciating that. Fingers/toes feel as if they've been trapped in a car door, but she said just take a painkiller. Brave I think you had that . . How many days does it last? Sarah are you feeling ok now it's day 11/12? xx ps Brave thanks for showing your nails on your blog, so we know what to expect

Sarahd-1

Hi Brave Imn the same I take it off as soon as I get in. Good luck with your appointment today and hope all goes well let us know what they say. Of course you are nervous but its another step towards recovery 🙂 xxxxxxx
Sarahd-1

Hi Bibi How did you get on today. Hope all is ok xxxxxxx
Sarahd-1

Rae. I know what you mean about still being stunned. I am in Bristol I have 2 sons age 27 and 18. I also have a 3 year old grandson who has just started preschool. He has picked up every cough, cold and bug since he has been there so I havent been able to see him 😞 I am not good at taking in information when I am with the oncologist I know I am HER negative but its hormone related.I know it was a grade 2 19mm and 2 other smaller lumps in the same breast I am having FECT 3 of each and I am on day 11 of my 4th T and I finish on the 10th of December. I will be having 4 weeks of rads in Jan and will also be on Tamoxifen for either 5 or 10 years they havent decided which one yet. Did your son have a good birthday? I know everyone is different but with the T part of the treatment I felt great on day 2 so if you are the same you should have a good christmas day. It doesnt kick in until day 3 or 4. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bravescholar

Welcome, Rae. There are so many of now I'm almost losing track! Hope everyone's doing ok... or at least not doing too badly. I'm starting to get really fed up with my wig too, Sarah, much as I love it in principle. If I've been out, I take it off as soon as I get in the door. I have an appointment with the breast surgeon tomorrow; I think we're going to set a date for my mastectomy and reconstruction. Nervous? You betcha.

RaeBees

Hey Sarah

Thank you for the lovely welcome xxx  I wish I hadn't been so shy about posting before now!

I'm in Kent and have one son who was 21 last week (I feel very old and short lol).  If all goes to plan my last chemo is on Christmas Eve, I've 15 rads in January and the start of hormone therapy.  I was diagnosed back in June (Grade 3 28mm ductal carcinoma, ER/HER2 positive) and to be honest I still feel a bit stunned by it all.  Life feels a bit unreal... not sure that makes sense 🙂 

Rae xx

Sarahd-1

Hi Rae. Im so glad that we have been of some help to you and its great you have decided to join us. I hope we can support you through the last part of your chemo. Are you having Rads after chemo? I have had my 4th T and I havent found it as bad as I thought it would. Its just knocked all energy out of me. The one thing I want back so much is my hair. Everyone has said my wig looks great and you could never tell its a wig. I have no idea what colour my hair will be when it grows back as I have always dyed it as soon as the roots start growing. Im 46 so we are similar in age. What part of the country are you from? Do you have children? Debs so glad to hear that you have come through the fuzz and fingers crossed for Tuesday let us know how it goes. Bibi and Shelley how are you both feeling today. Im also having backache and headaches Tania but they are not all the time. I thought it would have gone by now and I am day 11. Hope everyone has had a good weekend. BIg hugs xxxxx
RaeBees

Hello All,

I'm a little overdue joining this thread, it's my first post but I have been reading all yours since my "journey" began and they have been such a comfort when my head has been filled with a 1001 questions!

I'm 47, had a lumpectomy back in July and started FEC-T (3 FECs/3 T's) in August.  I'm having my first sub cut Herceptin on Thursday (12th) and my cycle No 4 (T) on Friday 13th (trying very hard not to be superstitious Smiley Sad)  Feeling a bit apprehensive about next week but nowhere near as bad as I was before the first one. 

For me the worst SE is the tiredness, no dancing on tables for a while!  Smiley Wink  Followed by the lack of hair.  I shaved my hair using the shortest guard (no1?) on my OH's hair clippers a couple of weeks before chemo started, was determined I wasn't going to cover my head until I went out and it rained...lol that was a big shock!  At the end of cycle 1 was covered in tiny hairs so I shaved my head with no guard but it started growing back at the end of cycle 2.  I've been trying to convince myself it's growing back blonde but truth is it's white...VERY white!

Just in case it's any use to others, my other SE's have been....

A bit hyper on days 2 - 4.  Bad on first cycle but not so bad when I took steroids before 10am (cycle 2 & 3)

Lack of taste & rashy mouth/gums on days 5 -10.  Happens on days doing GCS-F injections.

Dry skin.  Cycle 2 onwards, but not so bad after using baby lotion.

Dry nails.  Fingernails ok, toenails very brittle.

Emotional.  Hard to say whether this is due to chemo, my funny age, the weather or a combination of all!

Hope I haven't gone on too much and hope you are all having a good Sunday.

Rae xxx

Debs30

Morning Ladies

Well after 10 days post 4th Fec I finally feel human again. This one really affected me . Nausea only just gone and energy levels picking up slightly. 

I am going to try a little walk with the husband and dog later as I am suffering a bit with cabin fever as haven't left the house since a week last Friday. Got an ultrasound again on Tuesday so hoping there is more shrinkage .

I hope you are all ok and enjoying your weekend xxxxxxx

Debs

jojo2

hI, thank you all so much for your advice regarding SE on T.  Sounds horrible but tbh I would rather know so I can be prepared if thats possible.  xx

Bibi44

Hi all Had the Herceptin loading dose today.  To anyone who needs this . . It doesn't hurt much & I only have a flight headache so far.  7 hours of hanging around the unit is pretty boring/bum numbing though.  Have a good weekend all. Bx

Bibi44

Poor Shelly/Lisa sounds awful. Hope you are better soon. To those with wee issues have a look at Sept, they've found some kind of emergency toilet pass . . Could come in handy xx

Shellyjenks

Hi all,not been good since had 1st T on 30/10/15, day 3 kicked in, crippled with pain in back, legs and feet, took paracetamol and ibuprofen, day 5,called gp out, had morphine injection, and now taking oromorph since, which had helped, mouth is awful, can't taste anything. Hope you all ok xx
Sarahd-1

Ha ha Richelle I think if other people reading this would probably think we are bonkers 🙂 I've had picc line done for another week. Me and my son out for lunch it's only round the corner from our house and then looks like back to bed for me. Jojo so hard to say if all will be ok. Just remember it's all doable just don't make any big plans after day 3 - day 10 I'm on day 8 on my first T so not an expert at the moment wishing you all the best xxxxxxxx
Tania786

Hello ladies, thank you for the advice on support group and hair etc.

I had a bad headache last night and now got a backache. Just took 2 paracetamol, not sure if it's a side effect from the first T I had 2 weeks ago. I do also feel very tired at times.

Hi jojo2 - i've had my first T about 2 weeks ago. The side effects started around day 3, bad muscle and joint pains and painful finger tips. I then had diarrohea day 4/5 and same day my temp went up so I ended up in hospital. White blood cells and nutrophils were low. I also had an infection so was treated for that. TO be honest I didn't have a good experience. But i heard 2nd cycle should be a bit less painful. I'm due to have it next Weds 11 Nov and will keep everyond posted.
Richelle

Morning ladies 🌸

Debs sorry to hear your feeling poorly hope your feeling brighter soon x
Brave good luck on Monday for your appt hope it goes well and you get an early date for your op x
Sarah take it easy get on that sofa when back from hospital trashy TV time x
Lisa sorry to hear your unwell hopefully you can rest more now your home hospitals make you sleep deprived!
Jojo it varies on T first cycle was end of week three before I perked but second cycle was only a week no chemo brain but fatigue a lot worse like Sara says feel well mentally but physically drained😴

You have got to love our posts, hair powder, line cleaning, diazepam anyone from the outside would wonder what on earth we are talking about lol but key intelligence for each other 😜 xxxxx

lisajane7878

Hey Lisalou I struggle with holding my wee!! 😂 I have never had a strong bladder but it's horrific now!! I'm having my first T next Wednesday. Not sure how I feel about it really!! I have just discovered an amazing thing for my hair. I have lost so much of it although still not wearing my wig. Have bought this powder from boots that I just sprinkle like talk on my scalp and it disguises my pink scalp. I'm sure it's prob not recommended but I just thought in the grand scheme of things it's not going to do any harm. Especially by the amount of hairspray I'm using anyway. It's called topik and its given me a massive amount of conifidence. Especially on the crown as it's very fine now xxx
jojo2

Hello, hope you don't mind me jumping in, I'm from the October starters.  Just thinking about Christmas and booking dates for family coming round etc. I have one more FEC left and then I start T. Can anyone tell me when you feel the best after T ie, 1st week, 2nd week etc. Is T worse then FEC. My main issue with FEC is the foggyness that happens with me. Do you get that on the T.  Appreciate any advice.  Helen x

Lisalouw

Morning ladies , I've just got back from hospital , I've been admitted for 3 days on iv antibiotics with a sinus infection , I've finished my 4 th cycle of TAC , I'll really be glad when it's over with , my next cycle is fri 13 th eek , I also get aching everywhere and muscle spasms , the spasm stop after I finish my gcsf injections though , also my digestive system and bowels don't know what they are doing and yesterday I couldn't hold my wee , so no idea if this is a neuropathy side effects , I'm thinking of asking for more steroids as when I finish them I go into such a low mood which I feel awful over especially as I've moved in with my mum and dad and I feel like it's not fair on my little boy as I take to my bed for nearly a wk after chemo as it wipes me out so much , sorry to moan abit ladies , glad you getting some pampering from boots , I've got a head stubble , the T took my hair first cycle but then it started to grow again , I just trim any stray long hairs , how does the dark nail polish work ? My nails feel bruised and sore at the moment but I just put it down to having peripheral neuropathy , hugs to everyone and hope the ses not to bad xxx
Sarahd-1

Hi bibi it's very strange as I was expecting day 4 but that was ok it just wanted to sleep so I did. Then I've been fine more tired than usual and night sweats. So getting to day 7 I thought I should be fine now! So it was more of a shock. Lots of painkillers and diazipam and sleep is the best thing. I've felt similar having a bad virus before. It's the fatigue on this one more so. One minute I feel like I can do all my housework etc next minute exhausted and back in bed. Brave the end is in sight that's great news. And the operation before Christmas 🙂 then you can relax xxxxxxxxxxx
Bibi44

Sarah Sorrry to hear you are having a tough time too. The first one of each variety of chemo is just so hard because we have no idea what to expect. Most people seem to be a lot better after day 9-10 on tax, so I really hope you are nearly there & can enjoy some 'time off' next week.

Brave Glad you're doing ok & pleased the chemo finish line is in sight, even if surgery still awaits you. Hopefully that will be easier for you than the dreaded chemo. Have a good weekend both. BBx

Debs30

Thankyou Ladies

I am spending the whole day on the sofa recharging my batteries and crossing everything that I feel more human by the weekend. I hope you all have a lovely weekend xxxxxxxx

Debs

Sarahd-1

Hi debs I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it. I hope you get those 2 good weeks. I went down hill last night I wasn't expecting it. I had a bad headache and aching muscles. I took diazipam and that really helped and pain killers for headache. Feeling better this morning but won't be doing too much today. Apart from going to hospital for picc line clean xxx
bravescholar

I'm not too bad, Sarah. Just two more chemo sessions to go. Last one is on last wednesday of november. Could well have op - mastectomy, lymph node removal and DIEP reconstruction - before Xmas. Got appointment with surgeon on Monday to discuss. Best wishes, all. xxx
Bibi44

Debs Sorry your unexpected 4th FEC has been so rough on you. At least you know this really is the last one.  Hope you feel better for the weekend. Big virtual hug. xx

Debs30

Hi Ladies

Well this 4th Fec has really affected me ,feeling nauseous still , bones very tender and not really sleeping at all. Hoping I feel more human tomorrow so I can have 2 good weeks before the T . 

Hope you are all doing ok , I am following all of your experiences thankyou all xxxxxxxxx

Debs

Bibi44

Tania you have the wonderful Haven at Fulham Broadway. Everyone raves about it, so definitely worth a try.  They do counselling there & loads of other stuff. I got the brochure from them for after chemo, but going to somewhere closer whilst still in chemo.

Re hair on tax, I asked the July ladies & one of them said she had 1/2cm regrowth by week 7. That must mean it starts growing almost immeduately because it's under your scalp for 1st 6-8 weeks. Can't wait for mine to start growing & stop this horrible shedding. Xx

Sarahd-1

Hi brave how are you? It sounds like round 2 is good for everyone 🙂 I wasn't expecting sweats yet I thought that would happen when I have rads and tamoxifen so maybe it's both! Xxxxx
Sarahd-1

I have got pampering session after chemo as they only do it every 3 weeks and it always falls on my chemo day!!! I'm in Bristol and the only support group is at my old work and don't really want to go there. Xxxxxx
bravescholar

I had horrible night sweats three nights running after first paclitaxel session but none after 2nd. No sensitive nails after 2nd session either.
Tania786

Thanks Richelle and Sarahd.

I might also try and go to boots. I'm also going to Macmillan pampering session this Friday will let you know if it's any good.

Can I just ask if any of you live in SW London area? I have trying to go a support group but can't seem to find anything in my area.