1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo August 2015?

Lisalouw

Re: Anyone starting chemo August 2015?

Hi Sarah , what's lipocils ? I've also got abit of growth on my head , my eyelashes are thinning , but last time I had chemo they didn't go right up until the the last cycle , I just pencil a line in , it makes them look thicker .
Hi Shelley , I had my chemo reduced after my 1st cycle , I'm down to 80% now , I'm sure you won't find the pain so bad , could you have some good pain relief in place just in case , I can't sleep either , I'm waking on and off all night long , it makes for long days xxx
Sarahd-1

Thanks Shelly 🙂 can't sleep again. Good luck for today. My eyebrows are getting less.. I have been using lipocils and it worked with FEC but they seem to be less with T. But I have some growth on my head and underarm. Hopefully you will have an easier time with your reduction. Xxxxxxx
Shellyjenks

Hi all, got my 5th T today, can't sleep. Glad your 5th is out of the way Sarah. Eyebrows and eyelashes getting sparse. Eyes are quite sore. They are reducing my T by 25%, did this happen to anyone else?? Dreading the aches and pains, had doctor out last time because it was so bad, she gave me morphine and then prescribed oromorph, which really helped. Love to you all xx
Lisalouw

Hi jhbee, I'm sure tramadol will be fine , I find it too strong so I'd only take it at home first and no driving if it knocks your socks off , I'm taking co codamol at the moment which I can tolerate better than tramadol , I've got the shop bought strength and some stronger I got prescribed , only problem with codeine is it can constipated you , so laxitives are needed , hope this helps xxx
carolec

One more to go Sarah - hope you sleep well tonight, big hugs xxxxx

Sarahd-1

Hi Ladies I am home after T number 5 so glad to get it out of the way. I know in a couple of days I will feel a bit crappy but hopefully not too bad fingers crossed. How are you all? Sorry if this is short but sweet but i didnt sleep well last night I am exhausted so it will be a take away tonight and then to bed. I hope you are all ok big hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lisalouw

Hi ladies I'm on day 7 of my TAC , I managed to get a temp filling put on my tooth , so hope it holds out , but the tooth has now took a back burner now to stomach cramps and diarrhoea , so feeling pretty weak at the moment , it seems to come on when I've eaten anything , it started last night but it's worse today .
As for eyelashes , I've had this chemo before and unfortunately my eyelashes shed after treatment had finished , then grew back and then shed again , but they didn't all go and everyone is different , I've got hair on my head growing already , it's fine and sparse but it's growing .
Tania I have the district nurse come every week to flush my line on my Hickman , they also changed the dressing and took some if my stitches out, they can show you how to do it yourself but the heparin bottle they use to flush the line is a glass bottle which you have to snap and I'm always scared I'll cut myself , plus when your not feeling too good and weak it's hard , hope everyone ok and not suffering too much xxx
jhbee

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on Tax has used Tramadol as a painkiller? I'm getting some quite sharp pains, but am a bit worried re Tramadol as a common side effect is nausea and I can do without that after having it non stop with EC! Also am at work when I can be and wondering whether Tramadol totally knocks you out?

Thanks and hope you're all ok xx

Tania786

Hi all, Good luck Lisa and Sarah.

I'm feeling a bit better but still very tired. I neec to go to hospital today to get the dressing changed/flush the hickman line.

With regards to the hair, I've been wondering if the eyebrows and eyelashes will go completely. My onco told me that cycle 4-6 you will lose your eyebrows and eyelashes. My eyebrows have gone a bit thin but not too bad. Eyelashes seems ok. I have very light/thin hair on my head so don't know if they have started growing.

Good luck everyonexxxx
carolec

Sarah - I still haven't got any nasal hair and lost my bikini line etc after chemo finished, no leg hair as yet which is a bonus!  Good luck for tomorrow and after that only 1 more to go?  Lisalou hope you're feeling better tonight and Tania we'll be having chemo the same month - think someone has started a December Rads thread.  Brave good luck for Monday - hope it's good news.  Bibi glad to hear you are finding the weekly taxol much better and hope everyone else ok debs, lisajane, Richelle and jhbee xxx

Sarahd-1

Brave good luck for Monday 🙂 Deb is your T on Friday? I know my last FEC took me longer to get over so I can understand that your 4th would take it out of you. The T will take it out of you but not all the time if you are having it in a Friday you should feel fine Saturday and Sunday and the be prepared Monday to spend the day in Bed. Then maybe a few times of going to Bed in the afternoon or early evening. I felt back to myself on day 12. I don't know if that helps but when you feel fatigued I would give in to it and get up and do what you can when you feel like it good luck you will be fine xxxxxxxxxxx
lisajane7878

Ho everyone just reading all the comments regarding the hair and I'm sure I have seen a bit of re growth myself. All be in very slight. I have a friend who's just had her last T today and when I met up with her two weeks ago she had about an inch growth xx
bravescholar

I'm here, reading all the posts and thinking about how much I'm looking forward to Monday when I'll find out whether or not I'll go ahead with my last chemo session next Wednesday. If we skip the session, I'll look forward to my hair growing back sooner rather than later!

Debs30

I'm ok thankyou Sarah , just so tired even on week 3 this time with some aches and pains .Good luck for tomorrow with your 5th T . So pleased that some of you are getting some hair growth, I hope I will be the same very soon.

Big hugs everyone xxxxx

Debs

Sarahd-1

I know what you mean I can deal with a few days in bed a bit achy over nausea and very low moods. I have heard even though it's growing it may fall out again it may not. I have a few very short eyelashes and some eyebrow left it looks like I have designed a very weird shape but my wig covers eyebrows quite well. Silly things like brushing my hair going to the hairdresser I can't wait I don't think I will ever take that for granted again it will be a real treat 🙂 xxxxxx
Bibi44

Sorry Sarah, for some mad reason thought Brave had posted not you. Apologies. I am doing a lot of mad things at the moment. Good luck for tomorrow xx

Bibi44

Mad isn't it what this does to you? I actually wrote in an e-mail yesterday "I'm loving the new chemo" & my friend (BC survivor 6 months ahead of us) said "blimey you're easily pleased these days". Well I guess 'loving it' was a bit strong, I just meant it was miles better than F/EC because no nausea.  

Does the Return of the Hair mean we won't now lose the rest of our eyebrows (doing ok) & eyelashes (1/2 gone)? I have read some people saying they drop off a week after you finish tax, but how does that work if our other hair is growing? Maybe just pot luck?? x

Sarahd-1

I also have a few nasal hair I never thought I would say this in a sentence but I was so chuffed to see it and I've just checked there is a bit leg stubble too 🙂 I cried when I looked at my head so happy to see it 🙂 xxxxxxxx
Bibi44

Yay! Me too Brave. Suddenly realised my nose wasn't running every 5 mins at golf yesterday & some nose hair is back . . Unappealing maybe, but definitely quite useful.  Hubby also found a bit of leg stubble for the first time since August.  Of course where I really want it is on my head . . . Is that what you have found? BBx

Sarahd-1

Hi ladie how are you all doing? I'm getting ready for number 5 tomorrow! But the good news is i have hair growing!!!!!! 🙂 a bit on the top of my head and under my arms. Well tania one left 🙂 hope you are feeling ok. How are you debs Richelle bibi brave Kia carol big hugs ladies xxxxxxxxxx
Bibi44

Good luck with the tooth Lisa. Glad your surviving Tania xx

Lisalouw

Morning ladies , I'm on day 6 of my TAC , been in bed for most of it , I've got to go out today , I broke my tooth on day 2 and I need it covered before it gets worse , it's tingling at the moment , I contacted my Emerg number whom said I could have a temp cover put over it but nothing invasive , so I'm hoping that's what they will do , I'm not looking forward to having to get dressed , the stairs are proving difficult at the moment and my hands and feet feel bruised and numb , but on other hand I don't want my tooth left open to infection , grrrr the complications , I had the most awful bad dreams last night , my little boy woke me up saying I needed a cuddle bless him , it's usually the other way round , he's only 5 , is anyone else having weird dreams , I normally have them when I start the gcsf injections , love to everyone , and be great to keep posting in here through all our other treatments xxx
Tania786

Hi everyone, well done Richelle! I have one more of T to go on 2 Dec and then I'm booked for rads from 23 Dec for 4 weeks. It'd be really helpful if you can keep us posted with rads etc.

Day 6 today and am still struggling with the aches and pains, been in bed since last Wednesday. I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow so I can drop my little boy to school and do some cooking!

Good luck everyone with your treatments.
Bibi44

Hi all Richelle so pleased you're done. Fantastic! Please stay on this thread so us late finishers can hear how radio planning/ treatment is. Carole nice to hear from you & hope you're enjoying the break. Debs if you have to have 4 cycles anyway, have you considered weekly taxol? I know they are a pain logistically, but I'm having almost zero SEs & just sailing through so far. Had my second y'day & played golf today. Compared to F/EC it's a walk in the park & also no steroids, apart from on the day, so no fuzziness/sleepless nights/weird food cravings.  Sarah 5th one already . . We'll soon be waving you g'bye too. Would be nice to have a lunch or something when we are done, not sure whether we'll all be up to a night out for a while esp if some of us have to travel too. Hope all the rest of you ladies are doing ok. Brave I have read L-glutamine is good for peripheral neuropathy, even though u don't hear much about it over here, the ladies in the States swear by it & you can buy in H&B. BBxx

jhbee

Congratulations Richelle, Must be lovely to feel that your next hospital visits are going to be so much easier!!

I had a weird one when I went for bloods on Friday. Had an appt with the oncologist before I would be starting my Taxol. Strangely I spotted her leaving the hospital as I was going in for my appt. The nurse called me to go and wait in her room, she then had to call me back to say that the oncologist had gone out and they couldn't contact her!! They said maybe she had a meeting, but seemed strange to me that they would schedule a meeting outside the hospital at the same time as an appt. Waited nearly 2 hours til she returned..urrgh- stressful!!

1st Taxol yesterday was a long one, I'm doing 2 weekly accelerated. Amazing not to have my usual horrible sickness and sinus type headache, though I know that lots of you have said that SE for this kick in in a few days? (I'm hoping nausea won't be kicking in then too!)

Hope everyone is doing ok,

Jhbee xx

carolec

Hi - just popped in to say glad you are all getting nearer the finish line for chemo and Richelle well done for finishing.  Brave - I had a bit of peripheral neuropathy in finger tips while having chemo but now have a bit in some toes after finishing chemo - not sure why that happened but suppose chemo still in your body for a while after.  It does seem to be getting better though.  Richelle sounds like we will be starting rads around the same time (hopefully) - I have my planning appointment and CT scan on 26 November and start rads on 7th December.  Delay because they have only now decided I should have genetic testing as had DCIS 13 years ago when I was in my early 40's.  Have had test but this waiting game is a pain in the a***!  

I have been reading your posts from time to time to see how you're all getting on - Debs30 I had a bit of dragging pain in my legs when on chemo only occasionally though so put mine down to the herceptin xxx

Sarahd-1

I hope you enjoy your celebrations you so deserve it Richelle. I think we should all stay on here the other ladies from previous years still go in their thread and we will all have to get together when we are all done 🙂 xxxxxxxxx
Richelle

Thanks ladies, the last session went well, just waiting for it to kick in tomorrow, only one appt on the 03rd dec Sarah for scanning and marking but apart from that four weeks off from hospital ( I hope). No celebrations as yet will hopefully  get out and do something even if it's small after the GCSF injections and initial SEs are finished next weds but still very relieved xxxx

By the way does anyone mind if I keep in touch on this wall when I start radiotherapy  of are we going to start a radiotherapy thread, wishing you all a good week xx

Sarahd-1

Hi Richelle that's amazing congratulations 🙂 you must feel on top of the world. Before you have rads do you have many appointments or do you get some time off? Hope everyone ok today xxxxxxxx
Debs30

Well done Richelle xxxx

bravescholar

Well done, Richelle! And yes, Sarah, lovely you got to enoy your grandchild.

Richelle

Great that you got to spend some time with your grandchild Sarah

I had my last chemo today can't believe it woop woop! Phase two all finished, start rads on the 16th Dec - 15th Jan.

I must say at the start of the chemo I never thought the 18 weeks would pass but they have and I am so relieved.

Keep going ladies and we will all get there 💕 xx

bravescholar

No aches or pains for me with Taxol but neuropathy in right foot not getting any better. 

Debs30

Thankyou Tania 

I am pleased you are doing better with the reduced T . I am allergic to Ibubrofen so can't take that for aches and pains but have got paracetamol and hot water bottles ready for when the T creates havoc on my body. My oncologist has given me Tramadol but think they may be a big too strong and hoping I can get away without them .xxx

Debs

Tania786

Hi Debs, sorry to hear that you're having pain in your legs. I didn't have pain in my legs with FEC so am not sure. Keep an eye and if you see any swolleing ring your onco.

The T part is very different to FEC but it's doable. My drug has been reduced by 20% so muscle aches and pains are not as bad as last time. Good luck!

Debs30

Morning all ladies, hope you have all had a good weekend.

I am experiencing heavy legs with nagging pain at the moment . Havent had this with the Fec before , has anyone else ? . Went for a long walk yesterday in the hope that it would help but it made the pain worse. 

Have my first T on Friday and are closely following you  ladies ahead of me . Must admit not looking forward to it one bit and I have 4 ahead of me but each one is a step closer . Love and hugs to you all xxxxxxxx

Debs

Sarahd-1

Hi all hope your weekends haven't been too bad. I got to spend some time with my grandson this weekend which is the first time since chemo started due to him starting preschool and getting every big imaginable it was so lovely to see him. I've still got sticky eyes and they seem to get blurry aswell. Lisa for me it was the fatigue around day 5-10. One minute fine and then bang i had go tobed and sometimes a headache. I hope you will be able to get away. Tania I hope you feel better soon. Can't believe I've got round 5 in Thursday. Feeling a bit fed up that I've got to do it all over again but I suppose it's only 2 more times big hugs ladies. Xxxxxxx
Bibi44

LisaJ/Tania sorry you're not feeling great.  I am on the weeklies, so can't be of much help, as all I've had is sore nails for a couple of days. Hope you feel better soon. BBx

lisajane7878

Hi everyone had my first T on Wednesday and felt great up to yesterday when I just started aching everywhere. Don't feel sick which is a bonus just drained really. All I want to do is lay in bed which is proving difficult with a 1 and 5 year old in tow! Although I think I'm actually better the more I move around. What is everyone taking for the aches and pains and roughly how long does it last? My last one is 23rd dec which should be fine for Christmas Day but it's my 10th wedding anniversary the 29th dec and we have a few days in Edinburgh booked!!! I'm not hopeful on the timing for that one!!! X
bravescholar

Sorry to hear that, Tania. Try to take it easy today.xx
Tania786

Hi all, I've had my 2nd T cycle on Weds 11 Nov, reduced by 20%. I've been having aches and pains at the moment. My right eyelid has been flickering a lot and looks like lower eyelashes have thinned too.

I also can't taste anything... Which is horrible.
My neck and chest is still painful due to the hickman line. I'm feeling very tired...
Bibi44

Oh Lisa, that's all you needed . . Poor you! You seem to be having such a tough time of it. Hope you get it sorted out quickly. I'm not sure how much dentistry we're allowed on chemo, but hopefully you are nearly finished now? Hope you get some sleep. x

bravescholar

Oh dear. Good luck, Lisa.
Lisalouw

I have just chipped my tooth on day 2 of 5 th chemo , the day before I get I can't get out of bed for days , sigh !!! Looks like I'll have to ring Weston park up my cancer hospital up in morning as it's sensitive already and it's a tooth that I've had pain in before , boo hoo 😞 xxx
Bibi44

Thanks all. Well you've made me feel a LOT better. I thought I was the only one with revolting scuzzy eye lids.  Woke up this morning & one eye was stuck shut. Is there no end to the vile unglamorous SEs of this disease?  Let's hope they don't both get glued shut or I won't be able to even find the bathroom, let alone the cotton wool in the mornings ha ha.  

I cannot believe the horror of events in Paris.  It scares me the way world events are developing. We're just spiralling out of control on so many fronts. I just don't know if life in Europe will be recognisable for our grandchildren. Have a good weekend all & many thanks for your help. BBxx

Lisalouw

Hello ladies , thought I'd post now as from tomorrow I'll be poorly until fri with the awful black cloud I get from the come down from the steroids , I did ask if I could be weaned off them as it really does seem to affect me but my usual onc was on holiday and the other lady seemed to think it would give me other side effects , I do find the low mood really hard to handle especially as I have a 5 yr old boy , I also nearly got 90% dose of my tax yest , yikes , it was only by chance my mum mentioned it , so it had to be remade , no idea how that happened , so I've had 90% of AC , so I hope I manage ok with that , but it's the tax that I have problems with , I also have crusty eyes , and they can get sore if you try to pull them off so softly approach with the cotton wool and warm water , hope everyone ok , so awful what's happened in Paris , Lv and hugs Lisa xxx
Sarahd-1

Hi ladies I'm glad you asked about eyelashes. I woke up this morning with very sticky eyes and underneath my eyes are red. I will have to buy some cotton wool. Xxxx
bravescholar

Yes, I had to deal with that too, Bibi. Cotton wool and warm water over the sink and mirror or just wash them carefully in the shower! I've kept about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottom lashes and most of the upper and about 2/3 of my eyebrows.Relieved overall. Rotten weather. Shocking what's happened in Paris. Let's enjoy the weekend as best we can. Trying not to eat everything in sight while I'm on post-chemo steroids. xx

Bibi44

Makes sense Brave. Does anyone have any tips for getting crusty bits off your eyelids (yes lovely 🙂 in the morning now our eyelashes are beginning to go.  I am using cotton wool with hot water, but I can't get the more stubborn ones off without accidentally removing the eyelash it's stuck to too, which I obviousy makes the whole sitution worse. Thanks xx

bravescholar

It is close for comfort, Bibi, but they want to do it 3-6 weeks after the last chemo session. If they don't do it before Xmas, it won't get done til early January, which is getting very close to the six-week mark. I have to agree with the docs that it's better to do it early and risk spending Xmas Day in hospital than leaving it another 2-3 weeks. And yes, I'm to have rads too.