65.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo around 20th november?

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Anyone starting chemo around 20th november?

Yes it will... I think when this is all over I may have an image change - I might like short hair, think of it as a new me and forget this hell from my previous life.... what do ya reckon???

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mandy2310,

I had long hair up until yesteday, I had a very short cut, thought it would be less traumatic when it all comes out. I hate it but friends have said they prefer it (think they're just being nice). Going to my hairdressers tomorrow as I think they may be able to help, god I've never felt less like a woman but I suppose that the least of my worries and it will all get better. Good luck witht the hair......as everyone keeps saying it will grow back.

Guest user
Not applicable

I too went lookign at wigs today - a very strange experience I never thought I would have to do for this reason - Mum wears one as she is very thin - I think she has a form of allepcia (however u spell it) So she was good support from that point. I think I will have a drastic hair cut this weekend and get a wig to match, so when it does fall out I am ready to swap so to speak. Its gonna be very difficuly as I have realy long hair and have had for many many years.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed on the 14th Oct, had lumpectomy and node removal 23rd October and start my chemo
next Tuesday 11th November. Went wig shopping today which was a bit of a distaster and still think I'm talking about a third person and none of this can possibly be happening to me (not in denial). I'm afraid of the unknown and the future and scared for my 2 girls but am looking forward to next summer when I'll be 'me' again.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I had a call from the chemo suite this afternoon. My chemo start date is Friday 14th November. I will let you know how I get on.

Hey Yvonne, I'm a wuss, so if I'm ok you will be too! Never thought when I read your post that I would beat you to the chemo suite!

Feeling happy to be able to plan ahead now and looking forward to starting on chemo route.....will probably be a jibbering reck this time next week though.......I'm a scardy cat at heart!

Hugs to all
Chrissie xxx

lavendersblue

Thank you Shelagh and Chrissie for all your help and support..it is really good to hear what other people have managed to get through .

Yvonne it sounds as if we will be almost going through our chemo together...so it will be great to be there for each other....I am not sure which arm of the Tact 2 trial I am on yet....but will know more after Tuesday...so will let you know which Cocktail I will be having .

Mandy...I didn't have a mastectomy....but I didn't find my two ops half as bad as I feared...and the staff in the Breast Cancer Ward I was on were fantastic....they have been so supportive too , through everything else . Like you it is the thought of the Chemo that frightens me most.....but I am trying to be as positive as I can be . I have already have my hair cut short ...so that it won't be such a shock when it all falls out .

I have been reading the " Top tips " , and getting myself geared up.....I'm so glad I found this site.

Hugs,
Jill xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for that - sadly finding you guys in this way has been a great help and we are all amazing and will will help eachother on this journey. Hugs to you all.....xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mandy,

You are strong like us, you have found us on this sight the same way as we all found each other. It was the first possitive move that I made (only a week ago!) had blood test, so should start anytime now.

I'm not speaking for others, but for myself I am not always as strong and possitive as I would like to be. Having C is pants, but I've found that thinking as positively as I can is a much better place to be than the "dark" what if......place that it can be all too easy to find yourself in.

I will be having chemo Epi/CMF. Waiting for a phone call from the hospital to let me know when my first chemo will start. Soon I hope!

Please do read the "Top tips to get you through Chemo" it on this website. It's really good and certainly help me. Maybe give it a read, it's worth it! It's not all doom and gloom, there are some very positive tips!

Hope this helps you. Will look out for your "posts"

Hugs from Chrissie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the enoucouragement and I know you are right... the lumpectomy scared me, but actually that wasn't so bad, its just the thought of Chemo... and how long a process it is, how long it takes for hair to grow back on top of the 5-7 months of treatment but you guys are so strong and supportive and a great help.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi mandy2310, Jill and Lalala, thanks for the explanation Lalala it really helps as I am quite new to all this. Jill, sorry to hear that you have problems with the sernoma. I had problems with that too, but thanks to my phisiotherapist getting more movement to my affected arm and the sernoma has finally gone down after a few weeks. I am now able to go ahead with my chemo. Just waiting for the phone call to tell me when to come to the hospital....hate waiting! By the way, sernoma did not hold up chemo, I unfortunately developed an abcess, but this is very unusual so don't worry!
Mandy, I know how petrified I was before my op - Lumpectomy and removal of 15 lymph nodes. Please try not to get scared - not easy I know, but I promise you that all will be ok. I found that none of the treatments or operation were anything near as bad as I had imagined they might be.
Lavendersblue - wellcome to the forum. I'm new too and find it very comforting to have you and the others to talk to.

Have a good day all,
Hugs from Chrissie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm having my Mastectomy on 12th November so will be starting Chemo a few weeks after that and I am petrified!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jill and Chrissie, sorry to hear you are going down the chemo route soon too. I'm here for you all if there's anything can do to help. I find it really reassuring to have others to talk to online.

Chrissie - WLE is Wide Local Excision - like a lumpectomy only they take a larger amount out. I was offered it as an alternative to mastectomy as I had/have 'ample' boobs, and now my right boob is about half the size of my left one. I'm gonna have a reduction of the left one eventually! SLNB is Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy - they inject you with radioactive stuff near the nipple/tumour, and with blue dye, then take out the lymph nodes in your armpit that link straight from the tumour. As with Jill, they usually remove all axillary (armpit) nodes if they find anything ... 😞

I've got my 9th chemo next Tue, all being well with my bloods! Let me know when you all start!

Big hugs, Shelagh x

lavendersblue

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie here too.....so hope you don't mind me joining in , this is my first post ....I had my lumpectomy and SNLB on the 9th Sept . I was diagnosed with a 6 mm invasive ductal cancer , that was grade 2 . Even though my tumour was small , unfortunately the cancer had spread to the sentinel node and so had to go back for a total axillary clearance on the 7th Oct .I have had a few problems since then with fluid and a seroma , which I had to have drained last week ( ouch ) I am now due to start my chemo on the 14th November. I am probably taking part in the Tact 2 Trial , but don't know which arm of the trial I will be on until I go for my pre-treatment tests on Tuesday. I am very apprehensive of how it will all go......and would appreciate any support I can get.

Jill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all - hope you don't mind me joining in? I'm a newbee to the site and am a bit confused with all the abreviations WLE / SLNB? Would appreciate it if someone could let me know please.
I had my op - lumpectomy and removal of 15 lymph nodes six weeks ago. I had a set back with an abcess on the scaring in my left armpit and that held up my chemo. I will be having Epirubicin x 4 then CMF for a further 4 cycles. Saw my oncologist this Monday and had blood test. Now waiting for the phone call to let me know the date for my first chemo...I can't wait to start it now....yes strange but feel I need to get on.

Chrissie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again Yvonne, glad to be here for you!

I had a 2.7cm lobular tumour, Grade 2, oestrogen+, 3 nodes removed but all clear. Had WLE & SLNB first, then when they found it was a bigger tumour had to have further WLE. Will have other boob reduced to match eventually 🙂 !!Initially I was told to expect surgery, radiotherapy then tamoxifen, but after they realised the tumour was larger they advised me to have chemo - which really scared and upset me. I guess before that I had thought it was not as serious as it really was.

Chemo is bearable, and the side effects are very variable from person to person. Your hospital and district nurse will support you lots! I found the Epirubicin cycles a real trial. They knocked me out for about 10 days each time - a bit like having a bad hangover (I wish !!) I didn't have any vomiting at all, just a bit of nausea and heartburn. Thankfully you only have 4 of them!! I'm currently on the CMF part and am finding them, on the whole, much much easier. I did have a spell in hospital last week though as I am prone to really low white blood cell count and had an infection. I'm ok now. The only other thing I've had problems with is my veins - they are small and they increasingly had trouble finding one to use for the chemo, so I've had a Hickman line fitted and never looked back.

I hope I haven't scared you with the above, but forewarned is usually better I reckon. You need to recover properly from the surgery before you start chemo - so make sure you eat and rest well!! Let me know if you have any other questions or worries and I'll help if I can.

Big hugs, Shelagh x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Shelagh

Yes, I has a mastectomy on the 13th of October and Im getting better all the time. Just a little numb and still cant lift it too high but getting there. Thanks for messaging me and your offer of support- it is much appreciated. How have you been finding the chemo? My thoughts go up and down with it all- think I just want to start it now which sounds a bit crazy I know!
If you dont mind me asking whats your background for this treatment- Im HER2 positive, agressive 2/3, no nodes but close to chest wall so planned in for radiotherapy after chemo (then herceptin,tamoxifen)
(and how the story starts to pour out- i talk to family friends and its- Her2 whats, whats a lymph node,lol)

Yvonne x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Yvonne,

I'm three quarters through Epi-CMF now, but would be happy to be friendly contact as you travel through your chemo journey. Are you recovering from surgery at the mo?

Shelagh x

Guest user
Not applicable

Anyone starting chemo around 20th november?

Im starting my chemo (Epi-CMF) on the 20th of November and was just wondering if anyone else was starting round about the same time
Yvonne x