cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in December?

Highlighted

Anyone starting chemo in December?

Hi Everyone,

Like most people on here my BC has been a real shock. Going from feeling happy, healthy and content to a dithering wreck minus my left breast within 3 weeks.  Life has been an utter blur but I started to climb out of the hole and began thinking about the future, getting back to work and getting on with life. Until yesterday when when I found out chemotherapy will be starting 2 December. I kind of expected it but how very scary when becomes your reality. I am trying to be positive about the treatment for my children but omg I'm crumbling inside. I would really welcome any advice about preparing for the treatment and how about the scalp cooling? 

Hope someone out there who can share with me. Love C xxx 

702 REPLIES 702
Highlighted

Sorry about that Sarah jane . I too had argument eith my receptionist at gp over needing flu jab. She suggested i pay in boots or Lloyd's to get one as no spots left in clinic , when i posited out if there was a doctors appointment or nurse appointment surely I could have that and it could be given to me in that . No need for a special clinic just a person to give it and all the nurses there were surely qualified to give one l amazingly she looked again at the clinic diary and found me a space well before my chemo is due to start as I pointed out it was probably more important i had it than lots of other people booked into gave if thy weren't starting chemo by a certain date . Sucess . Amazes me people can be so rude though and unhelpful unless you push it to the max xx H xx
Highlighted

Hi Karen wishing you luck for tomorrow keep us posted how you get on and you certainly are brave with the hair but good on you ! Xxx

Caroline I hope you are feeling better as the days pass and am keeping all crossed for you that next one will not be as bad.

Well more tests yesterday and today ECG heart ultra sound and bloods! Also went to see wig lady saw a perfect one and brought it so that was good. Start chemo Tuesday so trying to be prepared! First tears yesterday had big argument with gp surgery over flu jab as they hv decided I need one like yesterday but no appts and receptionist so rude when said it was due to chemo she replied "and"! Well in the afternoon once had got over small melt down called back and complained she was so rude and u helpful! Crazy sometimes what makes us crack lol

To all new comers welcome and let's all get through this together!!

Sleep tight all xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone
Well I have my first chemo tomorrow morning, really not looking forward to it but it has to be done!

Decided yesterday to shave my hair off! Got my friend to bring down her clippers. My husband is calling me GI Jane as I now have a short crew cut, and I am loving my new look!

I hope all goes well for everyone over the next few days, I will get on here as soon as I can.

Hugs to you all, Karen x
Highlighted

Thank you lazy mazzy .chaz i have gone on the sick . My employers have been great about it i have a realy stressful job and i just couldn't cope with the stress of caring for others when I am going through all this . I think it would drive me nuts it was just before my diagnosis was confirmed l if you have an op you will deffo Ned te of then as physically you won't be able to Do much and can't drive either . I just think that I have cared for people for years and now is my time to look after myself and allow people to care for me . Cancer thrives on stress and if I am to beat this then not working fir the next few months and being less stressed makes that possible then thats what i going to do . Plus my work place aren't flexible with sick time so one episode of sickeness equates as taking off one long oeriod of sickness l rubbish i know . H .xx
Highlighted

Hello Chazg13

Welcome to the forums.  I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Highlighted

Hi 

this is the first time Ive put anything on this forum.  My chemo due to start in two weeks.  Only diagnosed a week or so ago  Been told I need chemo before surgery then radio therapy.  I have to be honest I feel like its someone else Im talking about.  47 and about to start chemo.  I am terrified.  any tips would be appreciated.  Just not sure how I am supposed to react.   I work full time and not sure re work either.  The hair loss will be pretty devastating too.   😞 

Highlighted

Murphy69 hope all goes well on your first treatment on the 23rd. It sucks to have to deal with this at Christmas which we should be enjoying with friends and family without any stress! I start my first treatment tomorrow. Am feeling anxious as I have been through this before 13 years ago! They tell me it will be much easier this time--I feel it is never easy! I am glad I have a female physician as she listens to me and shows me great compassion and gives me many choices and let's me make my own decisions. Hoping all goes well tomorrow!
Highlighted

NOT silly at all we just want to get back to normal and that I'm sure is very natural. And the treatment  (I carnt even call it by its name without feeling sick now that is silly) was given via a cannula in the back of my hand which had to be soaked in a bucket of hot water as my veins hide away. The E was given first, it is red and very thick so was diluted with a saline drip and given by syringe into the cellular, closely followed by the C. I then promptly vomited and was given anti sickness drug into the same vein. The process took about an hour, followed by another hour in the cold cap. The nurses were very nurturing and kind but I HATED the whole thing. Things got very bad for me at about 2am and continued till 10am the next day. Murphy I've had a particularly bad reaction to the drugs. Ive been back to hospital several times and things are now under control (Ihope). The trouble is you just don't know how you will be effected till the drugs are inside.....Some women are fine so please dont expect to be the same. My body doesn't react to well to new chemicals I can remember being sick with every contraction in child birth too.  

Think I'm just unlucky. Try to stay positive and keep in touch, Caroline x   

Highlighted

Thank you for the hugs . I just knew myself. I couldn't cope with a mastectomy with out a reconstruction at the sane time . The shape is fine just the nipple thing is hard to accept for me . I just hoping the scan is clear and I can just concentrate on the herceptin , chemo and radio therapy and then when I have my nipple i might feel normal again . I feel silly worrying over such a small thing when essentially I should be happy they removed the cancer and several more tumours that had started growing .does the chemo effect you straight away on the day ? What dies it feel like when you are having the treatment ? H.xx
Highlighted

Oh Murphy,

I'm with you on the 23rd for my second blast and I really do not want to go. I sympathise with you hunny, I really do. The scars heal but the emotional  trauma just goes on. I understand completely about being up one day and down the next.  I think we just have to let it be and I'm sure given time we will heal emotionally. I didn't  have reconstruction straight away as could only deal with one thing at a time and I think you are very brave but I hate my flatness and feel sad for the loss of the breast that fed my babies. I worry that my children are seeing me fall apart too. They are used to having a very strong mum but the chemo is taking it's toll and I've only had flipping one! This is the place to share our true feelings Murphy and we are all here for each other as we do understand. Be kind and gentle with yourself and I'm sending you a BIG hug and lots of Love.

Caroline xxx

Highlighted

Hi my first chemo is the 23 rd dec happy Xmas to me . At least in the 22 nd I have the results of my scan on the 17 th dec . I still have days I in shock and cavy believe it happening and hate my new reconstruction . I just hate not having a nipple and having to wait a year till I complete all my treatment to have one . I know it stupid but I just feel I miss my other breast so much . I feel others that have not gone through this just dint understand . I have recovered well physically from my operation and physically much more flexible and able to do more . Some days I feel mentally strong and. Can take on the world and others I just want to hide away 😞 . H . Xx
Highlighted

Welcome Brewster, Hoping you feel better very soon. I noticed a real change for the better at 6/7 week after single mastectomy. Hang in there & just be kind and gentle to yourself. Lots of Love x

Highlighted

Am just saying Hi here xx I am waiting to hear when chemo will start. Not sure if it will be December or January but will be hot on your tails! Diagnosed 9 October, TNBC. Had bilateral mx on nov 28th and just waiting game now whilst awaiting chemo date.

Hope you ladies are coping ok. I am finding the post op recovery awful . Can't wait to feel ok and ready for battle xxx
Highlighted

Hi Andreea, a warm welcome but sorry you've had to join us. Like you, things happened quickly for me too diagnosed on the 14th Oct and mastectomy on the 20th. I'm still catching up emotionally.

You will get lots of support here and we WILL all somehow get through this together.

Hope you are feeling ok following first chemo and not being upset by side effects. Think I've been unlucky as had very bad reaction to first on the 2nd Dec. Been back to hospital twice and sickness finally under control but unfortunately constipation is a SE of anti sickness drugs Aaaaaaghhhh!!!! Anyway it's sorted now just feeling exhausted. I caught myself in the mirror the other day and thought who the hell is that?

Tonnes of luck & determination to everyone starting soon. Keep posting and lets try to stay strong together.

Love Caroline xxx

Highlighted

Welcome Andreea, sorry you have had to join us but we are all in this together. I had the same whirlwind/hurricane as you, diagnosed 10 October, mastectomy 22 Oct and my first chemo due this Friday.
Be strong, we will all get through this together, we all know what you are feeling.
Karen xx
Highlighted

You are not alone. You have us. We all understand in our different ways, the shock and the whirlwind! You won't crumble - just melt a little 🙂 Thank you for your wishes for the chemo - if we can be as strong as you we will be fine.
Highlighted

Hi Andreea I know exactly what you mean and how you feel so crazy eh! But unfortunately it is what it is we have to work through this and at the end if the day this is just a small blip and we are just hibernating at the moment so watch out spring is all I can say!!!! How was you first chemo mine is 16th dec just want to get it going now and start counting them down! Appt tomorrow for bloods and ECG so all hospitals at moment like a whirl wind S I say. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing oh and welcome to December group xxx
Highlighted

Hi Caroline sorry to hear still sick the next one may not be as bad so do not fret. My friend strangely has just finished all her treatment for bc and she said each one can be different. I have just ordered some nausea pills which they say if you suck them through chemo keeps mouth moist so reduce risk of ulcers and something in them soothes stomach, the lady who recommended them actually had bc herself and used them, so will let you know give anything a go me xxx
Highlighted

Hi All,

I've been reading so many posts since i've been diagnosed with BC in September. Same like many of you here, was an absolute shock. I am 35 and i was thinking i am in the peak of my life, focusing on my career after my first (and last) child and then Boom! dark, silence, then all happened like a hurricane. 

Within 3 weeks I went through two operations, a lumpectomy then a mastectomy, and now, just had my first chemo on 5th Dec!

All happened so quick i still think is a sort of a dream and I need to wake up quickly. Then i look in the mirror and realise this is not a dream, this is so so true. I thought i put up with it all so brave and tried and act as normal as i could and carried on with life, but deep inside I feel so so lonely and crumbling. So i thought to join this thread and get involved and perhaps be useful somehow.

I wish you all an easy start with the chemo.

Andreea

Highlighted

Could not cod and hear not here terrible typing !!!
Highlighted

Ah tomcatt maybe you cod knit me a boob I here the knitted ones are the best and so comfortable lol !! Xx
Highlighted

I was planning to try and work during Chemo as much as possible for my own sanity but my Dr is insisting that I take a month off at the start to protect myself physically and mentally and to look after myself. Digging out the knitting needles!

Highlighted

Caroline, you will be a strong active woman again - this is just a 'phase' - our parents told us we would have them 🙂
Highlighted

Hi Everyone, loving imagining the wacky wigs Tomcat! Am hoping to get one similar to my usual style as I will be hoping to blend....
Good luck fri lazymazzy.
Karen the fluid is the pits. I suffered with it but managed to resist having it drained as advised by my BCN its sent to heal & protect. Am at wk 7 post surgery now & its finally gone. Hang in there.
Im now on day 6 following chemo & been back to hospital yet again cos STILL feeling dreadful. Given another set of ani sickness drugs & mouthwash as mouth sore, bad taste & smell means i have been unable to eat very little & exhausted. Really dont want to go back on the 23rd scared of more of the same. What makes this so hard is that I AM I strong active women but just just now im a wreck. Sorry to share this girls I hope im the exception. Can only get better carnt it? Love Caroline x

Highlighted

I having fluid drained twice a week from where they tok my back muscle from my reconstruction . It's perfectly natural as the body had gone through a trauma so fill with fluid to repair it . It can happen fir a few weeks apparently . Xx
Highlighted

Hi

Caroline - Glad to see that the side effects are settling down for you. I start FEC on Friday this week, not looking forward to it!

I had a mastectomy 7 weeks ago with no reconstruction. I have had an issue with the cavity filling up with fluid. I have had over a litre of fluid taken out and its still filling up. Has anyone else had this issue?

I think the worse part of this process so far is the waiting. I am sure once the chemo started I will be fine but waiting is a nightmare! You can't help but think about all the side effects and how they will affect you.

Take care everyone

Karen xx

Highlighted

I have already ordered something really similar plus a great red one and a short ginger one! Amazing isn't it.

Highlighted
Highlighted

Starting on Epirubilin on Thursday. Have been through IV chemo before and several oral chemos. I really was hoping the oral and injectable meds would have worked but they didn't. The worse part of it for me is the possibility of hair loss again. The first time I did IV chemo I lost all my hair and was very uncomfortable with that. I was working at the time and had bought 2 wigs to wear. HATED them. My scalp was so sweaty and itchy with them. I am hoping I only have hair thinning but am trying to get myself ready to wear a wig again!!! Being Stage IV is the pits!! I don't have the energy I used to have and gets very frustrating!
Highlighted

oh and the sleeping on my side thing - I found it the hardest post op part!! I really couldn't sleep as I am a tummy sleeper. It was like being pregnant again. It made me tired, grumpy and I found it hard to deal with the pain because of lack of sleep. 6 weeks on I can sleep on my tummy again and its blissfull!

Highlighted

I have started trawling the net for purple wigs -  refuse to do the 'shes got cancer poor thing' look. I couldn't stand it. If they are going to stare they can stare at something fun!

Highlighted

Hi Dee, so sorry You've had to join our band of Warriors but you are in the right place. The lovely girls on here are such a support. Sending you a hug.xx
Interested in eyelash thingy sarah & good luck with appmts next wk.
update from me at day 5. Still very tired but sickly feeling have almost gone. Now sore mouth & no taste. I'm hoping will pass soon.
love Caroline xxx

Highlighted

Hi Dee yes I am with you on the wig have appt on Thursday to hv a try on going with some of the girls and lunch after as going to try to make it a fun experience if I can. Please do let me know how you get on I hv appts this Tuesday for bloods a and ECG so feels all go eh. My friend also works for a beauty consultant who now runs a breast cancer charity and she is looking at eye lash solutions for me as well so will be happy to share meeting up tomorrow for ideas on solutions xx
Highlighted

Thanks for the welcome Sarah. I am going to try the cold cap too so will let you know how I get on. I have been checking out wigs though as i hear it is not always successful but might as well give it a go.

Love Dee

Highlighted

Hi Dee welcome to the club xx I have found the forums really useful and the support brilliant it is just great to say how you feel with those that do understand. My lump was 5.5 and luckily they removed it all so first part of treatment completed then start chemo 16tj as you will see . Good luck with the appt and keep us updated on how you are doing. Lv Sarah xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone. Unfortunately I am here to join the December chemo ladies (and men if any reading)

I was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer in November and was hoping to have had my mastectomy yesterday but that all changed when my MRI results came back. Fortunately it is only in the one breast but what they thought was 1 cm turned out to be 6 cm and therefore too big to be certain they get it all without shrinking it first. It is not a 6 cm lump(in fact no one has actually felt a lump yet) but is more like a spider web effect i think as that is how lobular cancer grows.

I go Tuesday 9th to find out more about the chemo and actually have first session on the 10th. I am having FEC x 6 sessions with 3 week intervals and am petrified !!

After 3 sessions I will have another MRI to check if it is shrinking as lobular does not always respond to chemo. Trust me to get an awkward one.

I have been reading all the suggestions on how to cope and manage side effects and will try to be strong and take it day by day. Love and hugs to all. Dee

Highlighted

Thanks Caroline funny you say about sleeping on your side I am still not there quite yet not good at sleeping on my back lol x x have a good day x
Highlighted

Hi Sarahjane,
glad youve got a start date hun. We will get through this!! Sending you a hug. Love Caroline xxxx

Highlighted

Good to hear Caroline I have my first one on 16th December x x
Highlighted

Hi Everyone, just quick update. Feeling better now although completely wiped out & still nauseous. Meds keeping the worst of it away now thank goodness. Bcn assures me that this will pass in next couple of days. On a positive note SE under control, rest & on line Christmas shopping in the cards, my house looking like a beautiful florist again I can finally sleep on my side & only 5 chemo to ago! Onwards & upwards girls. Take care & be gentle with yourselves. Love & hugs, Caroline xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi Murphy69 and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you so please feel free to call on 0808 800 6000, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

You may find the following link to the BCC 'Treatments' area of the site, here you will find information and support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Treatments-and-medical-issues/Anyone-taking-Elirubin/m-p/911...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

I am i start in the next week or so going through the scans etc first . I have breast cancer just had a mastectomy with lymph node clearance and latismus Dorsi reconstruction at the same time . I had twenty nodes positive fir cancer 😞 . Has any one had that many ? Grade three tumour removed with three other smaller tumours . I am nervous about chemo .xx
Highlighted

Hi Tomcat well sounds like I am the very same as you apart from I had to hv a Masectomy and one lymph node involved. I start chemo on 16th December and hv 6 sessions one every three weeks and like yourself Herceptine. I am 43 so similar age. My brother is also getting married in august next year so I am hoping by then I will be able to party with them looking normal ? I was diagnosed in November full body and bone scans and surgery now chemo things certainly moving very fast at moment not sure I can keep up! Good to hear from you and these forums are good support x take care Sarah xx
Highlighted

I am starting Chemo on 18th December. Thank you everyone for so brilliantly telling us what you are going through. It is sos amazing to hear all these strong women!

I found a lump at the end of September and had a lumpectomy and a sentinal node biopsy on 21st October. 

Although it is out and margins were clear and the lymph nodes are not affected at this point, it was an aggresive cancer and so Chemo and Herceptin is on the cards.

I saw the oncologist yesterday followed by the nurse who was fantastic (even though I was doing it in my second and very poor language!). Thankfuly she was very very patient!

I can't even remember the name of the chemo drugs and they are in a file in the car! I am having the first one two weekly for four treatments and the second one weekly for 12 treatments. That is about all I heard. I think I blanked after that.

After that I will be having Herceptin 3 weekly for 13 treatments!

I am flying to the UK for 9 days between my first and my second treatmnents. I may well be ill while I am there but it beats staying home alone so I am planning on going anyway and have delayed the 2nd treatment a few days. Better that than start in January.  I have my brother's wedding about a month to a month and a half after the chemo and at the start of the herceptin which could be interesting - means flying and short hair!

The oncologist thought that I would be very suprised when he told me about the chemo but to be honest I was prepared and not really that suprised. I had prepared myself for it from the start. I burst into uncontrollable tears with the nurse though when I realised that the herceptin was going to be after the chemo - so we are talking a full year of treatment. That really really threw me. I hadn't even considered not being finished by my brother's wedding in June!

I don't see myself as a cover up wig type of a gal (when I say gal I'm 41!). I died my hair brown last week for my brother's engagement party but before then it was blue, purple, pink etc. If its wigs then it has to be purple and I think my Buff collection and hats may be coming out. I figure if people are going to stare at me I would rather get the 'wow look at that amazing hat/wig' stare than the 'oh poor thing has cancer' stare! That I really couldn't bare. 

Highlighted

Hi Caroline Poor you :o(. So sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction to your chemo. I do hope you are feeling a lot better now and getting your strength back. We really do have no idea how all this will effect us until we go through it. Good luck with the Cold Cap- keep us posted ! Love and hugs Dawn xx
Highlighted

Caroline

So sorry to hear that you had such a bad reaction. Hope you are now on the mend. It's good to know that the hospital can do something about it though.

Take care, just think that's one out the way.

Karen xx
Highlighted

Hi Caroline sorry to hear about the sickness but glad they managed to get it sorted and you feeling a bit better. I saw oncologist yesterday and I will be having my first one fec in next couple if weeks just waiting for appt. I am going to try cold cap and what ever I can. I really am not good with being sick so hope the drugs work for me!! Please let us know how you feel over next couple of days not sure what to expect when I start xx At least that is one ticked of the list go girl!!! Hope you get some sleep big well done hug xx
Highlighted

Hi Maggie,
Yeah definately already prepared for next time. All in place. Trouble is we just don't know how we will react till the drugs are inside. Unfortunately, my body is saying NOOOO get this stuff out.
I feeling reassured by the fantastic hospital staff that the drugs do a brilliant job & side effects can be dealt with when they show. Oh & the cold cap has a reasonable success with EC.
Chemo drugs I'm having epirubcin (the red one which respinsible for hair loss) & cyclophosphamide( 6 session given 3 weekly then hormone therapy 5 years)and I can still taste & smell them but feeling bit better now.
Love Caroline x

Highlighted

Oh my goodness - you poor thing! Sounds awful Smiley Sad

Which chemo drugs were you given?

Hopefully next time they will be prepared for your reaction and will give you different meds to cope with it.

Take it easy and keep us posted about how you are getting on.

Maggie x

Highlighted

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all you kind wishes. Here goes.....this is the place for honesty right? The chemo unit & ward extremely busy yesterday so waited 2 hours to be seen. Nurses all very nurturing, kind & apologetic for the wait. Poor things too much cancer not enough staff. For me the cold cap felt bit like the feeling you may get when eating ice lolly/cream.Suppose literally brain freeze. This lasted half an hour. Remaining 2 really really bearable .. no big deal. The drugs were delivered fine but I vomited straight after despite having anti sickness & steroid. Otherwise very straight forward. Sent home with anti sickness drugs & steroids for 3 days. However.. I have had the most horrendous night ever vomiting
7 hours. Been back to hospital & given more drugs intrveniously stop the sickness. Finally back home & resting still feeling little fragile. Sorry everyone guess I'm unlucky.
Almost forgot about my mastectomy.
Love Caroline x