1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in December?

riversidedawn

Re: Anyone starting chemo in December?

Everyone's different DeeDee and Waveyliocks. My first I felt nauseous and fatigue first 5 day to the point I couldn't eat, lost clumps of hair day 14 onwards. 2nd time round a but nauseous and tired but much more msnageable and so far day 17 no hair loss do glad I didn't cut it off last time!

Hear what you're saying Waveyliocks butvive felt I'll go with the gradual loss rather than shave. As it is my round 2 was delayed a week and round 3 is now delayed may be 3 weeks because of infections and an op to remove implant, so that's an extra month I get to keep my hair! Iif is shaved I'd be bald for Christmas for no reason. Some people like to be in control and decide when it's time to go. So I guess you have to do what's right for you.
waveylocks

Thanks Riverside for the words of encouragement re cold cap....Have had three days of constant shedding - handfuls 😞 today I decided to wear a hat as my hair looks a mess.. Felt so much better with the hat on. Am not sure cold cap is worth me pursuing as once I move off FEC onto the doxesomething or other the cold cap won't work....so am going to loose my hair from round 4 of chemo in any case. Maybe it's best to get it over with?
Apart from that am back to myself & enjoying the last few days before the next stint 🙂 tonight went out for a meal, tomorrow catching up with friends & of course Xmas to sort! So take heart even if you do have a bad reaction you might not feel like that all the way through....am keeping my fingers crossed that round two is similar. Xx
deedee540

Thank you tomcat that is reassuring and i hope you manage as well when you start yours on Thursday, I am having FEC x 6 with another MRI after the third to check if it has shrunk ready for surgery.

All good wishes for your chemo.

Dee x

TomCat

You are not being paranoid. I have read about many many people that continue to work through it and have been just fine. I think it depends on which drugs, who, when and a bit of luck and magic 🙂 I pray that I will be such a person on Thursday!! I am tending towards terrified right now and not happy to be nursing hubby with man flu!!
deedee540

Hi all. I had my first chemotherapy on December 10th and as yet had no side effects whatsoever.Is this normal ? I am worried it may not be working because of this.I am sure I read something about this before but can't find the thread anywhere. Can anyone reassure me that the chemotherapy is probably working and I am not just being paranoid

Love and hugs to all Dee x

riversidedawn

Sounds good waiting, I've got my softie after my emergency op to remove implant. Feels like 1step forward and 3 back at the moment. Hang in there murphy, good you've taken in board the cold cap advice! Dont forget layered clothing x
Murphy69

Hi everyone been to hospital had my back drained only 260 mls since thus morning l so going diwn really pleased . Had flu jab tooo. Scan now wed . Seeming to take for ever to get to wed . 😞 . I going cold cap . Been told good results . Alice band over fire head and ears and taking pain killers half hour before it help . XxH .x
waiting

Hi Everyone, 

Riversidedawn good to hear cold cap working for you. Helps to know might just work for the rest of us too.

Very warm welcome everyone who has joined recently and good luck to everyone with treatment this week.

Finally feeling like me again! (day 14). Well, still carn't taste anything but can cope with that.

Been for prosthetic fitting today and that has given me a real boost. Its lovely to feel even and balanced again. The prothesis even feels warm to the touch and such a lovely women who did the fitting at the hospital.

Didn't think I would ever, ever, ever be ready for the second blast of chemo, but I think I am now.

Take Care girls. Love Caroline xxx

riversidedawn

Sorry, that's don't need wig yet!
riversidedawn

Wavylocks, hi, hang in there with the cold cap. I lost some, hair thining after FEC 1 but FEC 2 was 16 days ago and none gone this time, so far! And no sensitive scalp this time. So it's worth keeping going. I bought my wig after first round but do t need it yet. I cut my hair to a jaw line bob so still enough to do a comb over for the wide parting!!
waveylocks

hi everyone,
Is it ok for me to join in? I have had one round of chemo - next one this Friday. My treatments round the other way chemo then op then rads etc... I've got quite a large tumour in my breast plus a few little 'extras' in my lymph nodes under the arm. 6 lots of FEC-T.....so 5 more to go! chemos been ok so far - just take ALL the anti sickness meds they advise. First 10days was a bit ropey.....but since have got out more. My cupboard is fully stocked with ginger type items....does help!! Lots of dried fruit to keep me regular also good as anti sickness tabs bung you up & I needed stomach lining tabs & mouth rinse....once all in place have been ok. Done a lot of online shopping this year!!! Hair now dropping so just thinking about having it cut very short as it looks thin (cool caps not really worked for me). Scalps a bit tender so need someone who will be gentle!!
sammyj

Thanks for your thought girls. Elaine we will be going through this together. I'm ok about it really, just want to get it done and put it all behind me. For those talking about he amount of needles I'm having a "picc line" fitted the day before my first chemo which will be used to give the drugs but also take bloods etc. Seems like a good idea to me 🙂 I'm in somerset, I take it each hospital works slightly differently.

Oh and i've just had a flu jab because they told me too!!

Sam xx

Murphy69

Hi all i still bring drained but just twice a week . Its from where they took my back muscle for the recon. It had gone down . Now 250 ml over a few days was 450 mls twice a week .told its completely normal as body natural way of responding to trauma .hoping for less today . Get flu jab today also .i going to go for a funky wig this week too ready for chemo next week l two more days till mt ct scan and fingers crossed the nasty thing has not gone else where . Bad enough three other things grew in my beast from it with out thinking of it rampaging around my body 😞 . H. Xx
riversidedawn

Scrumpy/Karen, I had fluid drained for weeks after my masectomy and implant reconstruction. Was daily at one point approx 170ml at a time! At one point the wound opened up so I was draining it myself - a but like expressing milk! Downside is I have had 3 subsequent infections which they put down to the repeated draining. Do watch your signs and symptoms very carefully - first sign if redness or temperature get yourself to hospital.

Unfortunately I had to have my infected implant removed on Friday and already feel much better now the infection had gone. Haven't seen my saggy deflated balloon biob yet - they saved the skin for future recon after chemo, should see it when nurse changes dressing today.

Loving the wig idea tomcat I've gone for boring style like my pre op hair, haven't needed it yet though. Xx
TomCat

So typical - I don't even know what to take - I feel fine - but my glands are up!

Good luck

Eco Cardiogram today and then I think that's it with the messing before we begin.

Sarahjane71

Tomcat maybe try to dose up with something now while you can !! That's what worried me over flu jab as some say can bring on a cold and I start Tuesday! Think we all just want to get started and do many coughs colds sickness about think I may just hibernate ha ha xx let's keep everything crossed for us both eh xx
TomCat

Oh gosh. I have what I think is a slight ear infection and swollen glands although I feel fine. Hubby came back from a pre my  chemo break with his best friend this morning with a hacking cough. I am supposed to start chemo on Thursday. I may need a bit more than luck! 

Sarahjane71

Hi Karen that is excellent news so pleased for you let's I hope I follow your example I start Tuesday so getting nervous 😞 xxx hope you are ok Caroline .

Good luck to all starting next week xx Sarah
Woodview

Great to hear Karen hope the rest go as well I just want to get mine started next week
Take care
Lots of love
Elaine
Xx
waiting

Hi Everyone,

Karen so glad all is well with you. Carn't beat a bit of retail therapy. Love Caroline x

TomCat

Oh Karen that is good to hear - perhaps there is hope for the rest of us.
Scrumpy

Hi all,

Well I am day 3 into my first chemo and things have gone really well for me. I had my first outing shopping today and felt fine. I have a flushed face look making me look quite healthy. It's only my crew cut giving me away!

Hope everything is going well with the rest of you.

Hugs, Karen xx
TomCat

Nah here in Israel they do as they say. 13 treatments 3 weekly means just that 😞
Murphy69

I know I got a year so thats 52 weeks, so hopefully this time next year i should be finished . One thing i learnt though is off other survivors is sometimes they cut the herceptin short after scans so even though they say a year of it sometimes its not its less than that . So hopefully you might be amongst that group and me too . We just have to wait and see . Good luck .H. X
TomCat

You too. I am looking at 59 weeks! I still can't quite say that out loud.
Murphy69

Hi tom cat , I suppose you have to look at it and make up your mind i have a year of herceptin and four and half months of chemo . My friend ended up in intensive care as they couldn't work out what was wring with her . I know you can get infections in sites but she maintained having something in longer tern was more dangerous . I suppose its looking at the choices you have discussing it wit ph your chemo team and nurse and making the best decision fir you . Each case will be different . Wishing you all the best . Let's hope for ad little if possible no se or complications throughout treatment . H.x
TomCat

As I am going to be having 16 chemo and 13 herceptin treatments my guess is that I am better with a port but I haven't been offered one and have no clue what they do here. My friends that are supporting me have all had it done in other countries. As I am in the UK between the first and second, I would actually like to wait and get a port before the 2nd one due to infection risk but I will see what they say. Needles each time isn't a great idea as to be fair, the risk of infection, of looked after, is really low. You can get infections at needle sites too 😞 My friend who had it in the States said she didn't know how she would have coped without it. I hate needles and I have to agree with her - if they will give it to me I will take it. otherwise I am not sure I will give my arm willingly.
Murphy69

Hi tom cat i begining to panic over my chemo too l I was you'd when having the heart scan wit radio active dye and my friend whos survived breast cancer that sometimes they have to use the arm thats had the lymph nodes removed as they run out of veins in the other one with all the treatment . All the consultants have signed to say they can do this in these circumstances .My friend had line put in but had sceptecimia from it l she advised me to continue with needles each time until its absolutely necessary to have a line or portal put in . I don't know if any one ekse had problems with portals or lines ?H x
Murphy69

Hi Sam , I stopped wearing mine after five days i think they are fir when your not very mobile during the op and dats after. I didnt get told off fir not wearing them by bc nurse who saw me in this time and I was mobilising as much as I could despite drains etc . ask your cbt nurse l H. Xx
Murphy69

Hi Sam Yes it is normal with lymph node removal do the exercises they help but it will take a while fir your arm to be normal again I had total clearance and was told anything from. 6 months to two years for it yo be back to normal by mt be nurse and surgeon H.x
Woodview

Hi Sam
Sorry you had to join us but your very welcome and will get lots of support from the fantastic ladies on here,I didn't have atockings on after my lumpectomy but you BC nurse or the ward will be able to give you advice .i had my lumpectomy 19 th Nov but only had sentinel nodes removed so I recovered very quickly still little tender around the wounds though but nearly back to normal you may get stiffness as you had lymph node removal ,did you get exercises to do ? I believe they help a lot .
I start chemo on the 22nd Dec so we will be on the same journey together .
Enjoy your weekend and take care not to do too much
Elaine
Xx
sammyj

Hi everyone

I'm new to all this, had a wide local incision to remove a 3cm lump on 14th November then a lymph node removal on 5th December after they found it in 2 of the nodes they biopsied. Chemo booked to start on 13th January so I'm hoping to be recovered enough from the op to enjoy Christmas, have a couple of weeks of "normality" then its all systems go. I am still very sore and stiff from the lymph removal last week, is that normal? My husband keeps telling me off for trying to do to much but its so hard when you don't actually feel ill! Also any thoughts on the compression stockings? I've worn them for a week, they told me 2 weeks but they're getting on my nerves now to be honest! Do you think its safe to stop wearing them? xx

Sam xx

TomCat

It is really good to hear about everyone's experiences so far that are just starting. I start on Thursday. Nobody has mentioned the flu jab and I haven't had it. Not have my husband or my son despite most people in the country where I live having it as a matter of course. Oohps.

I haven't been told anythig about if I am having a port fitted. I really don't like the idea of having to do so many sessions without it! AC 4 times, T 12 times and Herceptin 13 times -  will have no arms left.

Raw terror is starting to set in now. I really wish I wasdoing this all in English. I spent most of yesterday evenng trying to decipher starting instrucitons but lord knows what I missed!

emilysss

Sarahjane, I had to give myself Clexane injections after my op and if yours are the same sort of thing they are very simple. They come in pre-filled one use syringes that are kind of spring loaded. Just push it onto your skin (I used alternate thighs) and press the button and you're done 🙂

Good luck,

Emxx

waiting

Ment to day have a lovely weekend everyone x

waiting

Hi Sarah, much better today thanks. Looking forward to new boob as am a d cup & getting fed up of softie pulling over. Must check out flu jab as not been mentioned. Having a lovely weekend everyone. Love Caroline xxc

waiting

Hi everyone, so glad went well for you today karen. I think you amazing getting hair cropped, short. Nurse told me theres success with coldcap & short hair. Mine shorter now. Fingers crossed. Re funny taste I tried pineapple chunks, frozen fresh pineapple & grapes are good too. My taste buds still dead tho. Hoping they come back soon .. oh & celery ...
1 down 5 to go! Wishing you a SE free peaceful night.
Love Caroline xx

Sarahjane71

Hi there u have had my flu jab today and start chemo Tuesday I did check with bc team and was told would be beneficial to have obviously due to the chemo reducing immune system.

Caroline I have tried the false boob it is do much better than the softie as I have large boob feels so much better to be able to wear a nice bra with bit if support and is really comfortable and looks brilliant even with tight clothes on.

Tried driving today after just over four weeks still a bit sore if I had automatic would be much easier only problem really was hand brake.

I have to have the injections after chemo for five days I think . I am going to try to have a go and do it myself rather than have to wait about for district nurse, used to be a dental nurse so hoping all those years practicing injecting into oranges may pay off!

I am going to try to do some work through chemo to try to keep my mind busy and active to be honest as I work for the county council I am lucky in how they are flexible.

Karen well done sounds very positive and keeping everything crossed for you that it will stay this way well done first one out of the way !!

Caroline hope you are ok and hopefully can have a good weekend with Se sorted

Best wishes to all Sarah xxxx
Murphy69

Thanks em . I was advised to have the flu jab ideally 7 to ten days before by my oncologist . And all the literature on line recommends this too. I start mine a week wed . Hope yours goes good .H?x
emilysss

I found this link on the Macmillan page if that helps.

Do most people have flu jabs before starting chemo? I'm starting Wednesday and no one has mentioned it to me.

Emxx

Murphy69

So are they intra muscular or subcutaneous and what are they for ? Did they say? Xx
Scrumpy

H
They are called GCSF I think. The district nurse comes and gives you them for 7 days. Mine starts Monday. Apparently if I feel able, I can do them myself or get hubby to do them if the nurse shows us!
K xx
Murphy69

Hi scrumpy glad it looks like it went ok . What injections do you have to take home with you ? H x
Scrumpy

Hi everyone

Been home for about 3 hours following the first chemo. Did have an initial reaction to the red stuff (vomited a few times but wasn't actually sick). The nurse stopped gave me time to catch my breath and we started again with no more problems. It took about 45 mins just waiting for all my meds and injections to take home?

Feeling ok at the moment except for this funny taste in my mouth. What are you drinking, eating or sucking to try and relieve it? Also have a very slightly muzzy head, any advice?

So far so good but let's wait till later tonight and tomorrow. I will try to keep you up to date. No issue with eating, actually feeling hungry, hubby is cooking sausages for his tea and they smell nice.

Hugs to you all
Karen xx
waiting

Hi Everyone,

Loads of luck today and sending you a hug hope treatment goes well for you today Karen  and for you also on Tuesday Sarah Jane. Great that you've got the wig sorted but lets hope you wont need it! My wig appointment on the 31st (Happy New Year to me).

A very warm welcome Chazg 13 I hope you are feeling better ... it does help to chat here.

Think it must be the week for melt down with the GP as my husband had to be, well lets say assertive, with the receptionist Wednesday as needed I something urgently to sort out yet more side effects. They just don't seem prepared for the urgency that is needed sometimes. Not prepared to bend for the exception...it's frustrating, Anyway, following Hubby being 'assertive' I had a call from my GP yesterday and he wants to come and see me at HOME to discuss my Care Plan. Must be ill!! I'm hoping they have put something in place so that this doesn't happen again for any body who needs urgent care.

Ive got an appointment on Monday for my prosthetic fitting. I'm hoping to feel more balanced as at the moment the softie kinda pulls over to my good boob. Not a good look. Is anyone else stuggling with what to wear? and has anyone got their prosthetic yet?

This is day day 10 for me (following first chemo) and the SE are finally under control arrrrrrrrr..........I plan to wrap up and take a walk round the block. 

Lots of Love Caroline xxxx

Murphy69

I have my heart scan today . Just waiting for the next injection . So far si good . But today will be a day in the house as I will be radio active for 24 hours and not able to be near kids or pregnant women. Weathers rubbish mind so DVD day me thinks . H x
chazg13

Thank you Sarah Jane will ask today. X
Sarahjane71

Just want to say good luck for today Karen weather out there is horrible where I am to day duvet day for sure!!! Take it easy out there,

Chazg know how it feels with appts when you see oncologist ask re flu jab before chemo! Once you get a date something to focus on and get going with this treatment

Well it is Friday so hope wishing you all a nice weekend xx
chazg13

Thanks ladies .... Im busy making appointments for flu jag for my family but didnt think Id need to make one for myself .... my employers happy for me to get time off but again I would need to go on to SSP as I wont get paid when off .   better off work with no stress though as health more important.   need to concentrate on me.  Tomorrow heart scan and meeting onthologist and will get a date for my first chemo session.   Hope everyone else ok x 

Sarahjane71

Hi h

I so agree with you am still tempted to go to boots as appt Monday and chemo Tuesday, such a rude lady and no need for it wish the bc nurse could do it they are just so nice and understanding x