cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in December?

Highlighted

Re: Anyone starting chemo in December?

Hi Riversidedawn,

That's re assuring thank you. I wasn't expecting hair loss after the first one but hay..... my oncologist did tell me that I will probably loose the hair come what may. I've got a few pretty scarves not sure about a wig but will probably feel differently in the weeks to come. xxx

Highlighted

I've not been given anything to boost white blood cells, but then I've had 3 infections so may be I should have had something, I'll ask before no. 3 on the 2nd. That sore scalp thing, was it Caroline mentioned?, that seems to happen just before hair loss. Keep positive as I had it after no. 1 but nothing lost after no. 2. x

Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks Sarah and Catherine.

Yeah we are all treated individually which is a good thing and not panicing at all infact quite the opposite it's kind of resigned acceptance for me today. Not been offered anything regarding immunity, guessing I don't need it. xxx

Highlighted

Hi Caroline I know what you mean about Christmas I usually love this time of year but not feeling it so much this year for sure! I was told to have flu jab before chemo which I did. Yes they are immune injections to help produce more white blood cells to help it do you hv to hv them? I was lucky when I got my wig as it was there so just took it and my hairdresser then cut it to how my hair is. Glad you are feeling bit better and hoping next one does not give you so many problems xxx
Highlighted

We may not all be having the same injections as it depends on what chemo is being given so nobody panic. I am having AC first. I have to have neulesetn injection after each session and was told about flu symptoms. Not worried about taking pain meds as had a constant headache since before I started and my temp is low and I'm watching.
Highlighted

Hi Everyone, Hope you all feeling ok....

Safe journey back to the UK Catherine I think your amazing! 

I was also told to be careful with paracetamol as can mask a temp but ok to take it if needed just to be careful.

Sarah, are you having immune injections to boost your blood count? Hope you don't have any SE. The leaflets are scary aren't they. I've just read the chemo one again and think I've had all the flipping SE.

The second one carn't be any worse can it?

Also wondering did everyone get advised to have flu jab as this wasn't mentioned to me. Just wondering if I should be having it as the nurses keeps banging on about low immunity all the time & being careful about where I go etc... Although, my husband and two boys have been sneezing their heads off this week....  despite been sent out daily with antibac & instructions to gel up before eating etc... LOL

Anyway... it's day 19 for me following chemo number 1 and feeling ok. Still mouth washing 4x a day to keep sore mouth in check and E45ing hands regularly to keep eczema like rash at bay (never, ever had eczema before in my life!).Noticed strange sensation in scalp a( It feels a bit like when you've had your hair tied up all day and you let it down?) couple of days ago so have been putting off washing my hair but couldn't wait any longer. Just got out of shower & quite a bit of hair loss I'm sorry to say. Although it still looks okish, definitely feels thinner and really glad it's short now. Wig appointment 31st does anyone if the wigs need to be ordered or do they have loads and can take away on the day?

Finally decd up for Christmas. My boys went out to buy our tree and decd it up. They've don't an fab job bless 'em. I'm only telling you... but I don't feel a bit festive and I usually love Christmas. Just trying to do all the wrapping done before the 23rd (chemo number 2) as I know I'm gunna be feeling bad again.

Think I'll put Mr Buble on........

Love and hugs to you all. Caroline xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Catherine well I am impressed with you flying back to the Uk you hv some energy for sure go girl! I have started the immune injections today did you get any side effects fro it so far? Just read the info leaflet and think that was the biggest mistake out! Lol was starting to feel normal again today and quite excited now thinking what is in store for me???! The nurses did not say about all those just said could hv some flu like symptoms. Hoping all good with you xx Sarah
Highlighted

let's hope so haha 😉 x
Highlighted

That sounds like it'll do the trick! I'm still confused with this chemo vs surgery first thing, they do treat us all as individuals which is refreshing. X
Highlighted

Sorry should have read DOC ie doccetaxol
Highlighted

Hi Dawn - every 21 days x4 EC then x4DOX with x18 Herceptin... That's gonna shrink it I'm sure 😉 x
Highlighted

Good fir you Karen. Hope it goes well and you start seeing results hi slow down the tumour - how frequently are they giving you chemo? X
Highlighted

Dawn - went for pre chemo chat today and was introduced to the 'cold cap' machine... still hopeful 🙂
thanks again for all your advice
karen x

Highlighted

Em - I had my pre chemo chat today and was told the same re temperature taking and paracetamol
Karen x

Highlighted

Dee - I will be starting chemo just before you on 30th Dec - I also cannot have the planned mastectomy due to fast growing tumor (25mm to 45mm in 2 weeks :/) so chemo rushed forward - I have joined the 'January Crew' secret group on Facebook and its been good to keep in touch with others.

The fear is the worst thing and I am thinking of you - definitely one day at a time
Karen x

Highlighted

That's great Catherine and your flying on Tuesday I'm so impressed you make me so pleased listening to you ,well I have just had my assessment all usual stuff had bloods taken and picked up my wig .I feel so much more organised and positive
Elaine
X
Highlighted

I had my injection today, rather than after 3 days I fly to England on Tuesday and needed to get it as fast as possible. Bit stingy, went after 30 mins, didn't hurt 🙂 Fresh air really helps. Being stuffy or stuck in I haven't found good so far. Good luck everyone - one day at a time!
Highlighted

Catherine (Tomcat) that is good that you feel normal brilliant news! I still feel a little sicky but nothing to bad think will mention it when see team as maybe sickness drugs not that good. Going to try to get some fresh air today and get back to normal ! Have to start injections tomorrow and hv a works Xmas party so hoping tomorrow will be ok xxx
Highlighted

I can unerstand about something that would mask a temperature but to be honest, it wouldn't mask a really high one anyway. I was offerred paracetom while I was there as I had a headache and I know peple take ibuprofen for aches and pains etc after the injections s I am going for it. i was also told to take optalgin - which is something you dont have in the UK but is a common pain killer here. Seems to be ok in general I think you just need to be careful if you are hot and tempy etc I woud thingk

So far - 25 hours on and I feel normal  - which is great but also terrifying 😉

Highlighted

Hi em I was advised that can take paracetamol as long as take temp before hand to make sure ok so that the paracetamol does not mask any infections or high temperatures that were present before taking the tablets xx
Highlighted

Hi
About the painkillers - I was told no paracetamol or anything that might reduce a high temperature or mask an infection. I have been told to take my temperature twice a day to keep a check on it.
Not sure if that is general advice or just my hospital?
Emxx
Highlighted

Don't feel stupid. I know nothing about this either except what I have learned since it started. Yes we can take painkillers and are supposed to for aches and pains etc.
My name is Catherine.
My son called my tumour Tommy, hence the sign in name.
Highlighted

Helen you are going to be OK but the whirlwind is impossible to ride smoothly. You are nearly there,,hang on tight.
It does sound like a flu jab reaction rather than dye but anything is possible.
Highlighted

Hi all buying my wig tomorrow . Had cat scan wed . God i dint know if i had a reaction to the dye but I was very ill after it . Felt sick was hot and cold and no appetite . Headache . Slept lots and lots last night . Could be that or the fact i had flu jab , local anaethestic for filling at dentist tue then the scan injections wed . Oerson too much fir my body . Hoping for good results of scan on mon next week 🙂 l am over due some good news as had nothing but bad news since this journey started Helen x
Highlighted

Brilliant !! Hope I can keep doing the.normal things I suppose you just do it I'm certainly going to try
X
Highlighted

Thanks Tomcat (I'm sure that's not your name lol ) can you take normal painkillers when having chemo ? Maybe you can take something to help your head .I feel really stupid because I am a nurse and I don't know an awful lot about chemo ,never mind will ask chemo nurse tomorrow when I have my assessment .
Hope your feeling A1 again soon
Keep smiling
Elaine
X
Highlighted

Oh and I went out for dinner tonight for a friends birthdaya as I figured better than waiting at home and wondering when it would start!
Highlighted

Thanks will let you know how I get on
I'm ready now to kick a** this thing won't know what's hit it
Xx
Highlighted

Oohps good luck
Highlighted

Elaine, enjoy your break and food luck.

I finished treatment at about 12.30pm local time and its now five past midnight. So far so good. My headache from before chemo is still here but a little better. 45 mins in the car each way didn't help. It is just after midnight and I'm going to bed. I had two one hour naps this afternoon to try and clear my he'd but wasn't tired. My twelve year and I want for a fifteen minute walk and he asked me about the treatment which was lovely. I felt slightly queezy be couple of times and took my meds and feel fine. It could even of been the headache causing that but taking no risks. I'm delighted that I feel OK but very frightened about the what's and whens still and really hoping for a good night!
Highlighted

Hi Elaine.

Have a good weekend.

Good Luck for Monday.

Lots of love and positive thoughts being sent yourway.

xxxx

Highlighted

Well you girls are inspiring me I am ready for my chemo on Monday now I will update when I have had mine going to have a break from the site for a couple of days and try to relax before it happens
Thank you all so much for putting positive comments on
Elaine
X
Highlighted

Hi everyone,

SarahJane think we must have posted at the sametime as just noticed your post. Hoping the sickness and upset tum has passed for you and I wish you a peaceful night.

Day 18 after first chemo for me and noticing a distinctly tender scalp mmm hoping this is not a sign of things to come. X

Highlighted

Great to hear you ok Tomcat, well done girl.

Hope your ok Sarah Jane. 

Emm hope sickness under control if not give your team call as there are lots of different tablets to try.  I found hospital staff really helpful and got SE under control for me but needed to try 3 different types of anti sickness tablets before I felt ok. The anti sickness tabs can cause constipation though. This was a problem for me. I was given movicol and it did the trick. I would just say keep an eye on the old bowls and don't leave it too late as you don't have to suffer. 

Second one on the 23rd for me and heres hoping to be more prepared this time.

Love Caroline x

Highlighted

Brilliant news Tomcat glad all went well. I am on day two after first chemo little sick this morning and bit of upset stomach nothing major and just felt very tired today. Apart from that all ok . Hope the rest of you ladies are all ok today as well. Take care Sarah xx
Highlighted

Well done TomCat.

I start mine 2nd Jan and am keeping in touch with some of the late December starters.

Hope you day continues to go well.

love

Bel

x

Highlighted

Thanks Karen for helping me not to panic 🙂
Had a rough night but on new antisickness pills now and they seem to be helping.

Glad it went well Tomcat.

Emxx
Highlighted

I did it. I started chemo. I woke up with a headache and still have it which didn't help but AC went smoothly. Did it in left arm and didn't hurt or feel odd. Got soup:) but not there long enough for cakes (maybe when I move to taxol). Just got home and feel OK apart from the headache. Hoping for a smooth day.....

Highlighted

Hi Em
I had slight shivers, nothing too much to worry about. Just keep an eye on your temp and phone the helpline you have been given if you are concerned, they will just settle your mind for you.
Take care, it gets easier xx Karen xx
Highlighted

My hospital (Lancashire) only use the picc line if absolutely necessary for needle phobias or difficult veins which suits me really nurses don't make good patients lol
Highlighted

Hi Sam
I have had my flu vac now dragged hubby along too he works in a University so don't want any bugs bringing home !! Got my wig ready chemo assessment Friday then all ready to get going Monday just want to get it over like you I will feel better once I have had my first one and know how I feel
My hospital (Lancashire) only use the picc line if absolutely necessary for needle phobias or difficult veins which suits me really nurses don't make good patients lol
Keep in touch
Xx
Highlighted

Hi all.
I had my picc line put in and my first treatment of fec this afternoon. At first I was fine but now feeling very nauseous and shivering a lot (kind of comes in waves). Is the shivering a regular side effect of the treatment? Don't want to worry unnecessarily but don't want to ignore it if I shouldn't. Thanks for any advice.
Emxx
Highlighted

Hi everyone,
Tomcat good luck for tomorrow
Sarahjane great news your feeling okay. I thought cold cap jo so bad too.. Think I must be just unlucky with chem se. Still got sore mouth & now hands!! Next one 23rd Dec carnt be any worse than first for me. Please details of eyelash stuff & sweets as like you feel anything worth a try. Love Caroline xxx

Highlighted

Hi Tomcat. Just wanted to wish you good luck for first chemo tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

Dee xx

Highlighted

Hi Helen they do not guarentee saves then but strengthens the lashes so will help before and then if you do lose then can simulate growth. My friend works for a nail company and the owner had bc and started up a charity after and has looked into beauty things that are safe to use skin care products the lot xx she has been putting ibx on my nails to help strengthen them to keep them healthy and got me done natural beautiful face geranium face serums I am very lucky xx will look better than before treatment I feel lol xx the eyelash stuff is easy to put on once a day and I thought the mascara really nice. I am far to vien and will give anything ago hv wig on the ready as well and she has ordered me some false lashed that can be used to so for me if I am prepared can deal with it better xx
Highlighted

Re this eyelash stuff does it save your eye lashes ? Xx Helen xx
Highlighted

Tomcat let me know how you get on and good luck x
Highlighted

SarahJane sounds like it went ok. Hoping for the same tomorrow!

Highlighted

Oh Caroline the eyelash stuff is called revitalash you can get it on Amazon I was luck that my beauty friend got one free from a supplier and they also have me a mascara to use made from same products I hv been using it and to be honest my eye lashes hv never looked do good this apparently is good to use before during and after any eyelash action as well help the grown and stay strong! So of the money they make I see does go to breast cancer research as well so I think this is something that is possible recommended to a lot if ladies going through what we are xx The sweets really did help as well I was quite shocked and the nurse that gave me the chemo took some as her mum has just been diagnosed and starting treatment and was a worry for her. I hv also been using rosehip oil on mx scar that was recommend much better than bio oil and a bit cheaper I think you can get it from amazon or health food shop and nurse was shocked at how good it looks! Do am quite pleased with some alternative bits xx hope you are feeling better when is number two this week or next ? Xxx
Highlighted

Morning ladies Well ladies I had my first one yesterday first of three fec and used cold cap. To be honest cold cap was fine I was worried maybe it was not working as not as cold as what people hv said but did as when they took it off ice on head lol xx

Chemo going in was fine no problems nice and slow . I hv felt fine last night and so far today as well it is just like having a bit of a hangover feeling bit sick and body aches a little like been dancing all night and am tired so far so good pleased to report.

My tip would be make sure you drink lots of water before appt I herd this really works and sure did for me and made me feel good. Also whilst cold cap on have a hot drink really helps and I sat with heat pad on over my lap to keep hands warm.

I also managed to get some queasy sweets of a website that a lady had set up that has had breast cancer herself. These really helped whilst the bad taste sickness one was going in and are really nice and sugar free. I used these during the night as well to help the sickness feeling. If you want site not sure if I can post it but message me happy to share.

All in all a much better journey than what I thought and hope it stays this way! I taking drugs they gave steroids and sickness and hv to start bone injections on Saturday. So today for me is rest drinking water to flush through ( sorry but my wee is lovely and red quite normal as that is first drug washing through ) so bed rest drink lots if water and Xmas movies and hopefully can get through this first one .

So ladies coming up this week it is not that bad try to drink the water and keep warm my friend knows and oncologist and keeping hands and feet warm water rest important things plus sweets were good!

Good luck all it really is manageable just wish I had had to great party night out to go with this hangover xxx any questions feel free to ask ? Oh just thought if another se terrible wind! Never had in my life deep joy lol xxx