cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in December?

emilysss

Re: Anyone starting chemo in December?

Hi Guys

Hope everyone doing ok and has a good mothers day weekend.

My treatment was cancelled this week due to an infection so I feel like I got a bit of a reprieve!

Hazelr - hope you are feeling ok. I looked at those magnets but not sure I think it would work 🙂

Take care all,

Emxx

TomCat

I got flexitol which is helping thanks
riversidedawn

TomCat the udder cream was from winstanleysbikes.co.uk but you can also get it on Amazon. Hope you find something that works.

Hazelr

Hi sorry not replied before, had my second herceptin and tax yesterday, I had palpitations with the first one so my onc has reduced my steroids this time so will see if it happens again. My eyelashes seem to be coming out but don't feel anywhere near as sick as with fec. I had bad leg and back pain fro 3 days and had toasty in bed and take painkillers sonexpecting the same this time which hits on day 3. Oh well only one more to go . How are you coping? Oh another thing I have really bad night sweats and I have just looked at getting a menopausal magnet that gas been talked about on another thread so will try it as sleeping only 2 hours at a time is exhausting, good luck all xx
riversidedawn

I'm using udder cream tomcat, someone on the november thread recommended it and one of our ladies lived in Sweden and got it delivered before I did, its worth a try, its on amazon but she recommended a bike shop which I'll try to find and let you know.

Em my MX is left side only, don't have any heart trouble but must remember to ask about it.
TomCat

I'll look thanks. Not sure I can get ur to here though.
marli

Hi Tomcat, glad that is another over. Don't know if it has been posted on this thread but lots of people have been recommending Udder Cream which is available  on line.It contains urea which is very good for the skin apparently. Never used it myself but one site I read said it is recommended for during chemotherapy. Worth a look. Take care. xx

Caroline , glad it was a quick one today. Hope you keep well. xx

TomCat

Third Taxol done and dusted and then went to a friends for a celeration afternoon meal (nothing to do with me).

I still need a solution to my fingers. something like E45 wouldnt touch it. its far to bad. I have much much better stuff as I have excema and its not even trying\

waiting

Hi everyone,

Thanks for best wishes Emm & Marli.

Number 5 over in record time appmt at 1 & home by 4:00 .... blimey!

Emm I hope your onc gives you reassurance re radiotherapy.
Mine was on left side too so understand your concerns its such a worry.

The radiologists are very careful & precise about measuring & aligning things up before the actual treatment. They put tiny but permanent dots on the area to help them to line you up. Getting you in absolutely the correct position takes longer than the treatment itself.

Hope this helps.

Love Caroline x

emilysss

Hi Riversidedawn

You have had a busy week! I don't know much about expanders and things - is that another full op? Will you be ok to drive to rads after that? It sounds like they have a good idea of what they are doing and I hope it all goes to plan 🙂

My fear about rads is mainly because of my heart, as my tumour was on the left side. I have an oncologist appointment in about 3 weeks so I will ask about it then.

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Emxx

riversidedawn

Busy week this week, I've seen oncologist and surgeon and have Chemo Friday. Knackered
Em I'm feeling anxious about rads, I asked onc on Monday if its really necessary and he said categorically yes without doubt. I was hoping to wriggle out of it!

He says I can have a max 4-6 week gap after chemo . during which time my option is to have an expander implant. Timing is tight but surgeon is happy to go ahead, just have to cross fingers for no hiccups or infections so we don't delay rads.

I'm dreading the daily slog an hour each way by motorway, but apparently its necessary due to the size of my tumour and number of nodes involved. Just another month out of our lives then its over!
marli

Good luck today Caroline and anyone else being zapped today. xx

emilysss

Caroline - hope the treatment goes ok today.

Take care,

Emxx

waiting

Hi Everyone,

Hope your day has been ok and your all taking care.

Emm .. My husband has recovered thanks.

Sorry to hear your eyebrows starting to shed. I would recommend a stencils and a smudge proof powder compact. Its took me a while to put them on/get the right colour etc but its worth the effort. My brows haven't completely gone but are very very sparse. I ordered some stick on ones and they are ok but decided I prefer the power as the shape of the stick on ones not quite right.....for me anyway but they are worth a look at.

Not had a problem with fluid retention yet and not having radiotherapy this time as had it in 2010. The worst thing about it is the travelling to hospital every day. The actual treatment lasts for a few minutes and you dont feel a thing. It made me feel very tired but nothing like as bad as chemotherapy.

Tomcat .. Sorry to hear your suffering with skin and veins. Im on a different treatment but Ive had several rashes and dry skin E45 has worked for me. Ive also come out in spots on my face which Im told is also chemo related .. joy ..

I can feel the veins starting to pull in my arm and they look sunken. The nurses told me to keep my arm moving and gentle massage helps as the vein lining recovers.

I hope the blood transfusion help you to feel better.

Marli ... I have felt same after re EC4 re fatigue. Its been much worse and taking longer to recover. I've felt exhausted and slept much more this cycle. Guessing its the cumulative effect?

Im due EC5 this Thursday and dreading it as per......but hay closer to the end of chemo anyway.

Hope everyone starts to pick up soon and good luck to anyone else getting zapped this week.

Love Caroline x

emilysss

Marli, I'm sorry you have had such a hard time this cycle. I know they say that the tiredness gets worse each time 😞

I think you are doing the right thing by taking it easy and not pushing yourself too hard. Buy some nice magazines and be gentle on yourself 🙂 The end is in sight now.

How are people feeling about the prospect of radiotherapy when this is over?

At the moment I really am not sure that I can face it or will be going ahead.

Emxx

TomCat

I know what you mean. I cant open crisps or packets or pop out pills either. Glad it isn't me going crazy!
marli

Riverside dawn - similar time to me I think. Will see the surgeon between 5 and 6 so should be late March and will know then. N0. 4 has been the worst for me, basically very tired and unwell. Decided to just go with it and sleep if I need to. Been shopping a couple of times but come home exhausted. Hair standing up well , not losing much now, but very grey and dull !

Tomcat - sorry to hear you are struggling with your skin and veins. I use arnica gel on my veins to help them recover. They are standing up well, no Hickman yet and only 2 to go. Needed to go in a second vein last week, but that was me drawing back from the needle at the crucial time, so I will know better next time and imagine I am on a secluded beach. I wish. lol.

I have been using Argan oil on my hands every night and a really rich cream on my feet, followed by cotton socks.Finger tips hurt though, I have difficulty getting paracetamol out of pack. Not doing badly so might be worth a try, almond oil, olive oil or any other nice oil might work. Has the blood transfusion helped. We are here to support you to the end of your treatment.

Hope everyone is coping with SE's - end is in sight for most of us.

riversidedawn

Marli I had mx and recon back in September but implant failed so was removed in December. I saw the onc yesterday and see the surgeon on Thursday, onc says I can have Max 4_6 weeks between Chemo and radio to have the recon which should mid to late may.
TomCat

I had a strange conversation with someon the other day. I met her in passing and was told she had just finished treatment and was doing well. She looked at me and said "You are clearly not finished as you still have eyeborws". You really would think that after the experience she would be a little more sensitive!!

I have now had 4 ACs, 2 Taxols with herceptin and a blood transfuision. I have 10 more Taxols and Herceptins to go an then Radiotherpy and then 13 more 3 weekly Herceptins - nearly there eh,

Taxol has zapped my skin of all moisture. My hands, and my fingers in particular are cracking like mad. I ahve tried handcream and I have tried Doublebase which fixes most things but they are not improving.They are scratching and cutting on everything and get infected too - yuck. Any advice - let me know.

Also, I am hurting more and more with the needles. They often need two attempts each time now and its driving me mad. I need bloods tomorrow and chemo on Thursday and I only just had the transfusion on Sunday - I fee like a pin cushion. Anyone else the same?

emilysss

Hi ladies

Just wanted to say that I hope everyone is doing ok this week.

Waiting I hope your husband is feeling better, and Tomcat I hope the transfusion went well.

My eyebrows are on their way out - the right one more so than the left one which looks even more odd than just losing them altogether!

Also I'm having quite a lot of fluid retention with my legs swelling. Anyone else had that?

Other than that, things are going well and I'm enjoying the sunshine 🙂

Take care all,

Emxx

waiting

Ha ha ha......making me laugh but know exactly what you mean but no choice for me cos mine almost gone now.

Eyebrows stayed put so far. They bit like those transfers that kids put on with water if you know what I mean. Also have stencils & a powder compact. Its smudge proof. Its amazing whats out there us poor things with hair loss.

riversidedawn

Stick on eyebrows sound a bit scary. I'd worry about them slipping down my face every time I have a hot flush! Nervous about drawing them on too for tbr same reason, sweaty smudged eyebrows not a good look! Interested how you get on x
waiting

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone feeling as well as can be after treatments this week.

Emm and Marli, the end is in sight just two to go .....Yah!! ....... think Im a week in front as due number 5 next Thursday all being well. Husband got the dreaded man flu.....yikes! but dont think us women can catch that can we? lol...

Will be keeping my distance just in case.

Hope things go well for you Sunday Tomcat and the extra blood puts a spring back into your step..

The stick on eyebrows arrived today (from simply wigs.co.uk .. 10 pairs £7.99) and they are really good. Ive had two of my close friends over today and weve had such a giggle putting them on but yeah there are really good. Supposed to last three days but will post how long they actually stay on for.

Also got a couple o lovely bamboo hats from them as thinking ahead to spring when Im bald and back at work.

Take Care everyone and keep warm (its freezing again here in the North)

XX

emilysss

Oh dear Tomcat 😞

I'm sorry things didn't go well this morning. Did they go ahead with the treatment? I hope you can take things easy until the transfusion.

Take care,

Emxx

June_BCC

Dear All

Just sending you all a gentle reminder about our daily Live Chat service - Talk Together. This is a private chat room where you can talk to others who are also facing breast cancer in confidence. 

Talk Together takes place every weekday from 12.30 – 1.30pm and will not be moderated or accompanied by a nurse. If you would like to register or find out more information then please visit http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/…/someone-…/talk-together. We hope that you enjoy using the service and that you find it helpful!  

Thank you.

June, moderator

TomCat

Yay I get a blood transfusion on Sunday.
TomCat

So far we tried two veins and they are deciding if I need a blood transfusion as I'm badly anaemic. I won't get it today though. Joy joy.
emilysss

I hope it goes well today Tomcat.

And Marli, I hope you have a good day. After every treatment I forget the effects of the steroids, and end up bouncing around the house all night driving everyone mad 🙂

I think my hair might be starting to grow a little - it feels fuzzier and not as soft and fluffy as it was when it came out. I may get my blond afro yet!

Take care all,

Emxx

TomCat

Sat in my chair awaiting my nurse and my zapping. I'm.really late today as our electrics went this morning.
marli

Thanks for the information dawn. Think reconstruction is going to be May from what Onc. said yesterday.

Had No. 4 yesterday and all went well although had to have two attempts at veins because I drew back on first attempt but Sister still thinks we should not need a Hickman line, so here is praying.

Hair wash yesterday before chemo and not lost much hair this week so continue with cold cap - although not sure how nurse fitted it yesterday or if I was being a little OCD about it.

Been up early due to steroids but only today to get through.

Hope every one who has been zapped this week is feeling well. xx

TomCat

Movicol puts moisture in to the bowel so it stops it hurting when it does come out. We used it for years with my son. I also pinch his israeli equivalent when I am desperate.
riversidedawn

Marli, Macmillan recommended The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook by Kathy Steligo which I got on Amazon second hand for about £1. It goes into detail of every possible option. Its a bit American but very informative. Macmillan and Breast cancer care also have good booklets. My problem is timing as surgeon doesn't want to delay radiotherapy but needs to allow time for Chemo to get put of my body because of infection risk.

Emm, I second the use of movicol, its very effective, doesn't taste as nice as the fruit though!
marli

Dawn , my BC is a recurrence and I am having chemo first to give the Breast surgeon the best chance of reconstruction. She mentioned using my tummy (Diep?) but this was without seeing Plastic Surgeon so will have to wait and see. Have sent for Reconstruction Information booklet to try and get myself prepared. The good news is that I can see the chemo working because the BC was showing up on the surface and as a very swollen boob. All the swelling and skin problems have disappeared.

Em - not very technical but will get my daughter to set it up next time I see her. Sounds fab. Marli xx

riversidedawn

Emm you make me laugh!

Marli you seem to be the reverse to the rest of us with your treatment. What recon are you having? Ive had masectomy and failed implant followed by Chemo. Now got to decide on what recon works with radio.
emilysss

Thanks guys.

After Tomcat's message this afternoon my daughter went to Aldi and bought me plums, grapes, satsumas, bananas, a pineapple and some walnuts. I got this 🙂

I'm not a fan of kiwis but I will eat them if I have to. We are more or less vegetarian as one of my daughters was vegan for a long time as she has lupus, and I know it is much healthier. She cooked loads of kale for dinner, which must be good for something.

My toe nail doesn't hurt at all - it is just no longer attached to my toe!

I do feel better this evening, just had a wobble earlier I think. 

Marli, I don't know if you have a smartphone or anything but there is an app called Google Keep. It is the best list app ever 🙂

Take care all.

Emxx

waiting

Oh emm,

You sound like felt last week. Sorry your struggling again and your not moaning Emm it does take over our lives & its rubbish...

Ask your gp for movicol because it works & will unblock things quickly. Second cycle I was so constipated it made my cry but took max dose of movicol & got max releif within an hour. Lol.

Please ring your team again if still feel bad. U get palpitations few days after EC & your poor toe....poor you..does it need a dressing & maybe your gp should have a look at it.?

Emm please dont give up.......your strong & doing soooo well. Weve just 2 to go....let get through this together. We can do it!!!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep reaching for it hunny.

Heres a hug.

xxxx

marli

Already had radiotherapy so straight onto mastectomy and reconstruction. Also need to discus with breast surgeon and plastic surgeon as nothing mentioned since dx. xx

riversidedawn

I'm in the recon verses radio debate with my surgeon and onc. Hopefully to be sorted next week. So I think September I'll be done too. Its a whole year, can't believe it
marli

It is indeed Dawn - am making lists of little jobs to do while confined to the house, such as binning old photos, sorting drawers etc. Ticking them off gives me some sense of achievement - I LOVE LISTS! For my birthday my daughter had a personalised one made for me - best present.

Have you had your surgery already? Think mine should be about mid-May or June so trying to get my head around that. Roll on September when I hope to be back to "normal"  !  Marli xx

riversidedawn

My last is Friday after Easter marli. Yay! Its been a long haul.
marli

Oh Em, sorry to hear you are feeling so down. On the constipation situation I suffered badly on EC and after reading that it can take up to 2 days to digest meat I started eating veggie as much as possible using lots of pulses for soups etc and veg curries.Started before chemo day and took lactolose to try to prevent rather than cure. Read recently that kiwi fruit are one of the top foods to help constipation (google foods to help) as well as prunes. Anything is worth a try because it is so uncomfortable.

I have No. 4 of 6 tomorrow and although I am very positive I have found myself worrying about the other 2. Don't think we can help it. Am building in small treats to look forward to - am going to Look Good, Feel Better the Monday before the March one and having a lovely day with my daughter. Then last one should be Wednesday after Easter . That makes it sound better already! lol

Take care and try to keep your chin up, as they say. Hugs Marli xx

TomCat

Failing that get some Syrup of Figs - that does work!
TomCat

You are so close to being over! You can do it. Some days are just so much harder than others!
emilysss

Thanks Tomcat 🙂

I was eating more fruit before as we were getting organic box deliveries but I stopped them as I was overrun with oranges! But I will make an effort and get some more. 

I keep reminding myself of something the midwife said to me when I was having my son - when you get to the point when you think you really can't take anymore, that's when you know it's nearly over. I'm hoping it doesn't just apply to having babies 🙂

Emxx

TomCat

They are not trivial, they make life very difficult and we have to get through day to day!

You are right to moan - that is waht we are here for.

Have you tried upping your fruit intake. I am terrible at fruit as I am allergic to a lot but after the first two terrible bouts of constipation I started making myself smoothies. It helped. Not enough, but some.

It does get into every bit of your life - try and do fun stuff if you feel ok though - it makes a difference.
emilysss

Hi guys.

I am struggling a bit again - I know I only have 2 FEC left to go but I do feel like I can't do much more. I have to sit up to sleep as if I lay down palpitations wake me up. At first I thought it was my picc line but I don't know. Have mentioned it to the team but they don't seem concerned.

And this morning I went to cut my toe nails and one just came off 😞

Plus I have constipation from hell so my diet is now mainly bran flakes. 

I do know that these things are all very trivial in the great scheme of having cancer, but I think that's the problem. I feel like it has got into every bit of my life - even my breakfast! 🙂

Sorry to moan. At least we have sunshine here.

Take care ladies.

Emxx

waiting

Hi Lovelys,
Just want to say hope you all start to feel better soon & so sorry your suffering.
keep warm & cosy.
Lots of Love xxx

TomCat

Ouch I have eleven taxols left!!

Yes bone pain and Taxol is normal
Sarahjane71

Hi Tom cat I have just had the same treatment as you last week and was so pleased do just hv the sickness like I had with fec but then three days after tax the bone pains kicked in exactly the same as you feel like I hv been run over ! Did not get out if bed today and could not bear any clothes on body either was all hurting so much but they do say this is the Se of tax so only two more to go hopefully by weekend this will hv worn off as walking around like I am 100 ! Xx
marli

Tomcat - that sounds uncomfortable. Is that the usual SE's for Taxol? I think that if you feel the need to sleep your body must need it. I've slept or at least rested more this time. Like the idea of taking the computer in might try that because as you say they can be long days. As I've said mine takes about 7 hours but a friend does come with me most of the time - mornings are not bad as their are a lot of people around but later in the afternoon I can be by myself. They put me in a corner of the smaller room with my cold cap machine  - I seem to take up a lot of room . lol.

Take care and hope you feel better soon. Hugs xx