1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in December?

Sarahjane71

Re: Anyone starting chemo in December?

Thanks Caroline I must be mad and have chemo brain for sure but what the heck eh! Yes see you there at that line with that champagne waiting for us eh ! This had been a tough journey for you with Se but you have done it one left is nothing you can do it will get you to that finish line go girl be proud it is an achievement xxxx
riversidedawn

Have fun tonight Sarah, sounds like you may have had a tipple already, excited and giggly like a school girl!!!
waiting

Hello Sarah,
Nice to here from you again. Good Luck tonight I'm sure you will shine. 😍
See you at the finishing post.
😉
X

Sarahjane71

Should say can hv a courage drink ! Predictive text telling me cannot how dare it! Lol xx

Have a good day ladies those gold medals in sight xxx
Sarahjane71

This chemo journey is bizarre for sure the guy I was with back in august could not deal with the situation so we split up. However out the blue this week I have had a message from a guy I used to like about 3 or so years ago he is now single and we are going for a drink tonight ! So girls send me some good luck I must be mad but I thought hey life to short take all opportunities and see how it goes ? Plus can practice the cancer conversation on him poor guy almost feel sorry for him but we do get on
And laugh and that's just what we need at the moment some laughter xxxx

This journey does produce some crazy situations for sure xxx

Right things to do get to work for meeting get whilma my wig all ready and oh what to wear lol good job cannot have a little Dutch courage drink as well!

Wish me luck ha ha xxx
Sarahjane71

Hi ladies not been on for a while what with bday celebrations and work but been keeping up with you all.
Make space for one more on the finishing line I have my last tax first April yeah!!!!!!! I have already had mx so surgery side done. Just waiting rad appts and all on that end road. I hv to still hv the Herceptine for a year but that's ok just the chemo us hard work for sure !

I have my look good day booked 31st march and cannot wait from what all you all said.

The tax gives me such bone ache and makes me tired but still managed to work as well so feeling ok think the reiki and reflexology has helped as well. I use diflam everyday to keep ulcers thrush at bay but must admit mouth has been a bit yuck!

Everyone is doing so well and we are all going to be new spring chicks come April some with a but if fluffy hair think I hv some coming back but also so still falling out becoming obsessed with the stubble ha ha xx

They have also booked me on a moving forward course which is one day a week for the month of April so that looks good as well.

My surgeon will not do reconstruction until at least five months after rads as he said he wants skin to repair and be in the best condition in which to re construct so I just would like some hair back so can give whilma a break and no chemo so can get back Into my Zumba and eat drink and just feel good again xxx

Live and hugs to you all we are nearly there finishing these cocktail of drugsxxxxxx
riversidedawn

I agree, the Look Good Feel Better was a great session, although I don't really put it into practice. I get fed up with people telling me how well I look when I feel so rubbish inside, so I've ditched the make up and wig (still got some straggly hair).

J - I went to the the GP today on the advice of the oncologist and have given in to antidepressants, I have been feeling so low recently and cancelled last Friday's chemo. I'm back on for tomorrow, but feeling not 100%. I also discussed counselling with the GP and he's going to get me an appointment. You may find it helpful too ? I agree we can't dump on friends, I can't even discuss with my husband as he doesn't understand. He keeps telling me how tired he is!

I don't do biscuit therapy being gluten intolerant, so yesterday I decided to hit the negative energy where it hurts, and went to my first Combat class at the gym since September! I've been doing yoga 4 or 5 times a week but really missed my high energy classes. I felt great doing it, it really helped my mood - knackered afterwards though!

waiting

Hi everyone,

Finding lots of cake helps with recover (lol) and easy on the sore mouth ..... love cake.

Ditto about the Looking Good sessions. I caught myself passing the mirror before makeup etc this am and reminded myself of a tortoise. Not a good look.

Hair, lashes and brows long gone. Here's hoping for miracle re growth post chemo. My last one (hurray!) will 26th March of 2nd April if I delay a week.....

xx

TomCat

Someone brought me in to israel two packs of choccy digestives last week. Long gone!!! I highly recommend biscuit therapy.

Thanks Marli.
No I haven't been to the workshop thingy (just couldn't summon up the energy besides working) but I have just eaten a whole packet of Jammie Dodgers (dunked in my tea so as not to hurt my mouth ulcers) which has helped a wee bit with morale 😕

J x
marli

J - you are invited to the party too. That's 4 of us. Understand that things are rough for you and you do have negative thoughts but remember you have got this far and yes the 3 weeks seem a long time but with Easter I feel it is going to be a bit shorter. We are here for you remember.

Have you been to the Look Good, Feel Better workshop - know I bang on about it but it really does help when we are feeling depressed about out looks. Just put some makeup on and realised how spares my brows are. Got a lovely pencil set for eyebrows at LGFB on Monday which really helps. Really recommend on if you have one nearby - lovely 2 hours and a fab bag of goodies at end.

Riversidedawn _ we will celebrate your birthday too. xx

riversidedawn

Yay party! Its my birthday that week too!

God yes, three months for me too, seems like longer.
People ask me how many more cycles to go, and when I say one, they say "Ooh that's gone quick" but it seems like forever to me!
My last is due on Tues 7th - would have been Friday 3rd if it wasn't for Easter and the chemo unit being closed on bank hols - I was disappointed about that but I suppose it's only four days.
I looked at myself this morning and felt shocked all over again, I have no hair, eyebrows, or eyelashes left and without makeup I look like a waxwork dummy. I feel so tired, depressed, I'm having hot and cold sweats every minute of the day and I'm so fed up of having a sore mouth and everything tasting like glue. I know it's only one more to go, but I feel so low, I don't know how I can do this, even once more - I will do it of course, but jeeeeez, this is hard now. Sorry again to be negative but I feel that if I talk like this to my friends, that I'm dragging them down somehow? Whereas you girls know exactly what I'm on about.

J x
Hazelr

Hi I also felt better with number 5 which was odd but not complaining! I have had one meeting with surgeon and told her I wanted recon at same time as mx and that I wanted bilateral. She agreed even though I ma having rads after but I still have some questions and am having another meeting after the MRI following last chemo. I may call the help line on here to see if I can get some answers. Hope we all get through next few weeks ok and can follow each other into surgery and recovery. I have decided to go blond rather than grey as I have been colouring my brown hair for years now and it seems a good time to change my look but no sign of it growing back yet, love to all
emilysss

Hi

My last treatment is due 8th April 🙂

Had number 5 yesterday, and the appointment was first thing in the morning rather than late in the day as my others have been. I felt quite rough during the day, but today I feel better than I have done previously. I think its because I had more time to drink fluids yesterday, rather than going to bed and having the stuff stick around in my body all night. Number 6 is scheduled early so hopefully that will be ok too.

Marli I hope your appointment with the cardiologist goes well and you are doing ok. I have onc appointment next week and will ask about echocardiogram or at least an ecg - I never had palpitations before all this started.

My hair has started growing back slightly but it is now all white! I'm going to look older than my 81 year old mother after all this.

Keep well everyone and look after yourselves,

Emxx

marli

Yes Dawn - my eyebrows are thinning and lashes have a few gaps. Taking Skin, Nail and Hair supplement with blessing of oncologist so think that has helped. Skin is looking dull even though trying to really look after it. Find it gets very dehydrated when I have the diarrhoea so am going to remember to drink lots of water.

I also expect to have my surgery sometime in May but am waiting for an appointment with the surgeon. Hope I can have reconstruction at same time as mastectomy but need to get more info at appointment.

So a virtual  party for 3 when we finish chemo in the week after Easter! Anyone else joining us? xxx

riversidedawn

That's really sweet of your daughter marli! Wait till you can fully appreciate it.

My Chemo started nearly 5 months ago on 31 October but doesn't finish til.10 April so I dip into the October, November and December threads as I'm in line with you all

I'm having my reconstruction in may hazelr so we'll be under the knife together.

Marli, I'm cold capping and agree that what's left is pretty straggly, but its mine. I had a bit of grey when it started but it would appear that any hair I've lost (probably half the weight all over) has been the straight brown hair, so I'm looking rather grey and fuzzy, must be over 50% grey now. Have you kept eyebrows etc? Mine have thinned and also gone much lighter, as has my skin - its like being bleached from the I side!
marli

Yes Hazelir it is exciting to only have one more to go. I have kept my hair as been using the cold cap but it is a bit scraggy compared to before. Had a smile at your love of chocolate but hopefully you will be able to taste it in time for Easter ! My daughter left me a little gift for today after treatment - it is a large bar of chocolate iced with the words "Five down,1 to go!" . Think  I'll keep it until I can taste it properly. xx

Hazelr

Hi all just realised I started chemo 3 months ago as well. What a bizarre 3 months it has been. My last chemo is 31 March and I am also really tired and sooo fed up of having no hair, brows and eyelashes nearly gone and can't taste chocolate which. Is one of the biggest pleasures of my previous life ! I have mx to go through in May and feel sick at the thought of it and then rads, it's a pretty difficult time to be positive or cheerful. I have also had echo heart checks twice now and will have another after chemo is finished. I was told it is necessary to check as chemo and herceptin can affect the heart. I am excited about the last chemo and keep telling myself there is only a few more weeks of feeling like this, virtual hugs to you all xx
TomCat

I am sure. I think it differs from place to place and person to person. I may well get another one after my Taxol with herceptin but I haven't been told I will be doing one as we go along - we will see 🙂 I hope not because mine really hurt! Oooh - I started chemo three months ago today - just realised!
marli

It is normal practice when having Herceptin. I had an echo before treatment as a baseline and then one every 3 months. If treatment is need after seeing cardiologist the nurse said they would start treatment and review starting Herceptin again. Going to googgle it and see what is what.

How are you feeling today? xx

TomCat

gosh marli, that is interesting. I haven't had an echo since I started so I have no clue how the Herceptin is affecting me.
waiting

Good to hear your getting well looked after Marli & hope you get to see cardio guys soon to put your mind at rest.
Hope you have a peaceful night.
Xx

marli

Hi everyone. Just had No5. and home early today because Onc decided no herceptin today. Had an echocardiogram last week and shows changes to heart so he feels I should see a cardiologist before resuming the herceptin.

Hope anyone having treatment today has had a good day and all went well. Marli xx

TomCat

Please everyone remember to check your life insurance for critical illness cover. If you took it it may pay off your mortgage!!
waiting

J we've asked for a break of 3 month & it's been agreed but I had to write to our mortgage provider and explain the situation as computer said no initially. The interest will be recalculated on what we owe and repayment adjusted accordingly. Not much of an increase for us over the full term.

I spoke with advisors at Macmillan. They helpful but like you we not entitled to claim anything. So mortgage holiday only option & It's taken the stress away for me as no way I could work just now.

It's worth an enquiry & could settle your mind.
X

I

Yes, apparently I can get a mortgage break for one month only, but then the interest is added on so subsequent monthly payments would be higher. It's something I'll have to consider if no other way, but it's not going to make much difference for long in my situation.

J x
marli

I think MacMillan have finance advisers - perhaps they could give some advice. Agree BC does suck. Completely changes our lives. xx

waiting

Totally agree J. Have you thought about a mortgage break? Might be a short term solution.
X

Thanks Marli - and everyone for your supportive comments.
I do get sick pay but it's not enough to cover my mortgage and bills, I am on my own financially and not entitled to any help. I have lost so much income through all this. I am now so worried about the debts I am building up, that I have to try to keep on working. Before I got BC I hadn't been off sick for over five years!

6th and last cycle is due on 7th April, and I keep telling myself I have to just get through that, but it's so hard now. I just have no energy at all - feel so weak, so glued up, fed up of not tasting anything, still have to cook for my daughter. As someone said, I can't even think straight or express myself properly anymore. The hot and cold flushes are driving me mad, I am sick of having no hair, my eyelashes and eyebrows are gone.
And when all this is over, it's radiotherapy to face, then 10 years of Tamoxifen.

This whole cancer thing just totally sucks.

J x
riversidedawn

So much to comment on! But waiting/Caroline I can empathise with the school holiday thing. I was diagnosed on the first day of September term, Chemo started October half term, second op just before Christmas, Chemo at new year and Feb half term, it comes to an end at Easter!

I had a week off last week and onc assured me it won't make a difference to the outcome. Lots of people delay several times because of bloods, infection or fatigue. I've had all of those! An extra week will make you feel better.

J I'm with you. Had a crap week last week which made me cancel my chemo , it just gets on top of you. I too have tried to keep on working, to repay me I've been made redundant!! But I welcome the time off.

Don't beat yourself up about coming home, at this point in treatment we're all shattered.
waiting

Hi Eveeyone,

Emm ... hope number 5 goes ok tomorrow and your palpitations have settled. Not long now till your Picc line will be a thing of the past. I think you should treat yourselves to fabulous bubbles for your tummy bath.

Marli ... Glad you enjoyed the Looking Good session and wow what a generous goody bag. I didn't get one of those but enjoyed it anyway and collected some nice makeup tips for us gals without a hair line or brows.

Brilliant that youve hung onto your hair. The cold cap didnt work for me but it's great that it did for you.

Maybe we could all get on FB somehow and swap our cold cap pics as mine sound similar to yours lol....

J .... Here's the place to vent positive or negative..... it don't matter.  We are all in the same boat and here to support each other. I completely empathise with you cycle 4 and 5 have been much harder to recover from. There hasnt been many good days in between for me. I am amazed that you have been able to work.

Tomcat .... sounds like your having a tough time .. what can I say but hang in there and heres a big hug xx

As for me .... still recovering from cycle 5 and cumulative effects racking up and up. Had little melt down on Monday with BCN, bubbling all over the place. Feeling depressed and emotional as tired of feeling sh*t all the time. Number 6 is due next Thursday but Ive decided that I need another week to recover from number 5. My BCN agrees with me so Ive got an appointment with Onc next Wed to discuss if a delay will have any effect on the impact of the treatment.

Since I started chemotherapy Ive spend every school holiday in bed as my treatment has fallen the week before. My son asked my the other day if I will still be ill over Easter and yes I will unless I delay.

I hoping a weeks grace will give my the umph I need to get to the end of this nightmare and will get to spend some quality time with my husband and children over Easter.

Rambling again.......nice to know you are there. 

Look after yourselves everyone and hope number 5 goes okay tomorrow Emm and Marli.

Lots of Love xxxx

riversidedawn

TomCat I'm on weekly Taxol too. Should have been number 8 last Friday but I cancelled as just too exhausted and in a terrible state mentally with a build up of SEs and family issues. I've had tingling numb hand for a week, and just started joint pain in wrists, knees, hips and ankles. I saw the oncologist on Monday who said it was down to the ovaries shutting down and putting us into perimenopause rather than a direct Taxol SE. Joint pain is apparently more associated with Taxotere. I'm gearing up to get back on the track and have number 8 this week.

Marli, I'm cold capping too and funny that it's only the dark hair which has fallen out and I'm left much thinner and greyer too! Love the Les Dawson image. My friend said I looked like a skydiver!!

TomCat

Don't feel bad.you tried and you had to come home. I down to about two days a week now. Am not getting paid but may eventually. Its complicated. I can't stand not working but just can't do it!
marli

TomCat - quite understand that you do not want to change your dates. The routine is comforting and we can control what is going on in the rest of our lives. Just try to get plenty of rest . You are doing so well. Marli x

marli

J - so sorry to hear you are feeling so down. I am having my 5th tomorrow leaving just one more on 8th April. I also find it hard to contemplate any delay especially as I still need surgery and hopefully reconstruction.

Presume you have only one more. I will hold your " virtual" hand and help you through and then we can celebrate together when we finish.

Don't feel bad about having to come home from work. It's a chance to watch feel good movies! lol

Being really personal can I ask if it is possible for you not to work during your chemo. It really would make a difference to your health and future recovery. I understand that some ladies are unable to access sick pay at work and have no choice. I don't work at all and find it exhausting.

Hope you feel better soon. Marli x

Hi all

Haven't posted in a while because I have felt too crap and very little positive to contribute... like some of you have said I have really been struggling since 4th cycle, now on day 5 after 5th cycle and feel so low physically and mentally. I just want to get this all over so can't contemplate any delays but I don't think I can take much more!
Had to come home from work today as felt too ill to be there, but it doesn't help me much lying around at home either, I just get bored and feel even more depressed! Sorry, feel bad for such a negative post but that's the way it is at the moment!

Roll on end of April, eh!

J x
TomCat

I want to see a photo 🙂 so funny.

I don't want my chemo changed as it fits our routine now as a family 🙂
marli

Tomcat - that sounds very unpleasant and uncomfortable. I do feel for you. Going every week must be so tiring. Has the weather warmed up ? Could they change your Thursday for a day when the onc is there or do they do certain treatments on certain days. Keep your chin up and hope you get sorted with your pain relief. Big hugs. xx

Em - yes Look Good, Feel Better was lovely. It was held in the new Maggie's Centre at the Freeman Hospital which is a lovely place. Just wish it was nearer so I could make more use of the facilities ( it is about 40 miles away.) Reckon there was about £240 worth of fab goodies in the bag and I felt great when I came out. So is yours No. 5 tomorrow as well and then last one in April? Sounds good to me !

Taken my steroids ready for tomorrow and trying to sort everything so I am prepared for the next week.

Am full of admiration for you ladies who have children to cope with as well as all of the SE's. You are all BRILLIANT and deserve a medal.

I am really pleased with my hair as I still have almost all of it and I only loose the same amount  when washing as before chemo. It seems to growing back although it is a bit fuzzy and grey. Wish I could post a photo of me wearing the cold cap - I look like a cross between Les Dawson and Mother Theresa. !!  xxx

TomCat

Marli - I had my AC two weekly (although there was 3 weeks after the first one as I was in the UK). I have my Taxol and Herceptin weekly, every Thursday. 8 more seems like a lifetime right now as the bone pain is getting very nasty. I need better pain relief - this week its in my thighs, legs, hips, back, arms and thumbs - really not funny. My issue is that the oncologist doesn't work THursdays which is when I go to hospital and its a 40km trip there and the same back every time I go. I am too tired and in too much pain to go twice a week. I will have to see the emergency dr attached to the chemo ward again on Thursday.
emilysss

Hi All

Caroline, I hope you are doing ok and not feeling too bad. Have you spoken to anyone about delaying number 6 yet?

Marli, my treatment was delayed a week so will have 5th tomorrow, same as you. I hope the Look Good Feel Better session was enjoyable and tomorrow goes well for you.

More than anything I just want this picc line out. Had to have another xray today and have it pulled out a couple of centimeters as there was a kink in it, and it is just endless palpitations. As soon as it is out I am going to spend a week laying on my tummy in the bath!

Take care ladies, hope everyone has a good week.

Emxx

waiting

Marli ... Yes still get all other side effects but like you noticed fatigue much worse after the 4th treatment & I'm in day 10 after 5th today.
I've not spoken to onc yet but plan to on Monday x

marli

That sounds good - half way !! Although 8 still sounds a long way off. Do you go every 2 or 3 weeks? Glad the hands are improving. xx

TomCat

Hi marli

I have now had four AC and four Taxol. Just eight to go.

I am using Flexitol on my hands and cotton gloves at night. It works. For anyone with Taxol hands please try it. Mine were terrible.
marli

Emma - hope that you are recovering from your infection. Shame that your next one has been cancelled - when do you have the next one.It is  encouraging to hear that the extra week has helped you feel better. Hopefully that means that 4 weeks after we have our last one we are going to feel better quickly.

Riversidedawn - hope you are recovering too.

Caroline - sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. Is it a build up of fatigue as well as all the other SE's? Have you been advised to delay it, because if Emma feels better after an extra week that may work for you too.

Think you are right Emma about the cumulative effect of treatments catching up. This time has been a lot more difficult than the others and took me unawares, I have been so tired.An hour or so shopping and that is me finished for the rest of the day. Have now decided to just give in and rest or sleep if I feel too tired. Becoming a bit anti-social I think !

Going to Look Good, Feel Better and having a girlie day with my daughter on Monday, then will recover on Tuesday ready for No.5 on Wednesday. Would be devastated if mine was delayed as I just want it over. Last one should be the Wednesday after Easter so getting nearer.

TomCat - how are you? Are your hands any better?

Hope everyone else is keeping as well as they can. Marli xx

waiting

Hi Emm,

I do know what you mean about it being so near the end of the treatment and Im in two minds about delaying it really but Im so dithery and  slow just now. Its even taking me time to think of the words I want to use at the moment.  Not even managing a walk out . Honestly, I feel like an old women but will speak to my team on Monday and take their advice.

I can see it taking its toll on my nearest and dearest too. 

I would highly recommend The Haven and it it is just that 'a haven' for women like us and those supporting them. (family, friends)I was supported by them in 2010 whilst having radiotherapy at St James in Leeds. Its quite near the hospital. At the time I was struggling with trying to work through the treatment and got myself into a right old state. The staff at Haven, Leeds were amazing, nurturing  and kind and helped me through some difficult times.

The staff may be able to talk you through your decision about the rest of your treatment Emm so i hope there is one close to you.

Roll on the end of chemo everyone and lets take it one day at a time.

Love Caroline x

emilysss

Hi Caroline

I am sorry you have been feeling so rough again this time. I do know what you mean about the tiredness - when I am feeling ok and trying to do more I forget that if I have been out walking in the morning I am going to need a lie down in the afternoon, and I'm going to bed before 10pm. I think you just need to listen to your body and give in to what it is telling you.

I can see why you want a bit of a break, although it is so near the end now I think I just want to get it over with. You have to do what you feel is best, and it is true that I feel better at the moment than I have done in months so maybe a break would be beneficial for you - mentally and physically.

It sounds like looking ahead has been a good thing, and I hope the appointment at The Haven is useful and reassuring. I hadn't heard of them until I read your post and went on their website, and it looks like they do good stuff. Are you near one of their centres?

I'm not looking ahead too far at the moment - I really don't want to go ahead with the radiotherapy, and I have been told Tamoxifen for 10 years rather than 5. Plus my lymphedema is worse than I thought, with it in both arms and my chest, and the nuse there also diagnosed me with lipedema. And then at some point there will be another op to sort out the mess of the first one. At the moment I am (like most of us!) counting the days until the chemo is over and trying not to worry about the rest.

Take care and have a good weekend.

Emxx

waiting

Hi Everyone,

Hoping you all as well as can be expected and taking good care of yourselves.

Sorry to hear youve had an infection Emm but glad youve got another week to recovery.

Im on day 10 after treatment number 5 and have been rubbish yet again. I didnt feel recovered enough for number 5 but my bloods ok so just went ahead with it. With hindsight should have ask for a delay. As you say Emm a week makes a massive difference.

Is anyone else feeling the cumulative absolute exhaustion as definitely racking up for me. Will probably contact my Onc next week and discuss delaying the 6th and final EC (hurray!) by a week as  need to feel like my old self for a few days.

After number 6 it will be  hormone treatment for the 5 years and who knows what delights that has in store but hay can never be as bad as chemotherapy.

Ive been daring to look to the future and having bit of a melt down about getting back to life before BC. Carnt believe been off work since mid October........flipping heck! not been off sick for a year prior to BC.

Anyway, decided to book an appoint with The Haven for some emotional support re life after treatment as Im starting to wonder about it ........

Happy Mothers Day to all us mums and have nice weekend everyone.

Lots of Love xx

emilysss

Thank you 🙂

I hope you feel better too. It's amazing what a difference an extra week makes - I feel almost human again!

Emxx

riversidedawn

I've cancelled my treatment this week Emm as just too knackered. Fortunately nurse and onc agree with me, so I've got a week to re-energise.

Hope your infection clears up quickly and you feel better.