Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in January? A 'new' kind of New Years resolution

134 REPLIES 134
Highlighted

Re: Anyone starting chemo in January? A 'new' kind of New Years resolution

Hi Sandra,

I think the salted water was to be used as a mouthwash before the sore.  She said 3 spoonful of salt to a cup of water I think but will check when I go back on 3rd feb.  For sores she says to make a paste with bicarbonate of soda and a putting it on a couple of times and the sore should go away.  She said that people who had the sore mouth before she saw them came back and told her how much better their mouthes were after they tried her old fashiohed remidies.

Glad you are not feeling so sick now. Thats what I am dreading for my next set of chemo 

Love Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

Hi shinde if you share your diagnosis, I think your post got lost in this thread. Hopefully they'll spot you this time xx
Highlighted

hi Bella the new tablets for nausea are working and I`ve had a full day of not feeling sick.slept for 7 hours last night the longest since chemo a week ago.just need to get my mouth better I really miss my hot cups of tea hugs Sandra

Highlighted

pixxy do you mean before the soreness starts?and how much salt to water?it perhaps help me on the second fec on 4th feb thanks hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi Judi,

You get great advice and ideas on this site.  I mainly just read the pamphlets the hospital  gave me and when I went to get y first set of fec the nurse said I sounded as if I waswell clued up.  I used the idea of sucking ice poles during chemo from this site and so far I haven't lost my taste yay.  Good luck for you first set of chemo.  Love Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

Hi OnlyIknow.  Good luck when your 2nd chemo arrives xx

Highlighted

Hi Sadie

Good luck with your first Chemo.  My second one on the 3rd of feb.  My daughter is 9 years old.  Theone blessing is that the cancer isn't hereditory so your girls will fine.  I am sure your bone results will come back fine aswell and that will be another weight off your mind.  Love Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

H San1952,

My cancer nurse swears by salt water to help keep you mouth healthy xx

Highlighted

Hey judi,  ive got an AC regime, 4 cycles then packlitaxol weekly for 12, alongside the start of herceptin..which goes for a year! They want bone/ct/heart scans.  Bone to check it really isnt out there already.  Eek, despite clear nodes. That was disturbing to say the least. 

Anyway should start round the 5th feb i think... got a tree load of info, my fast pass for a&e, 2 pages of scripts. 

Off to buy a decent thermometer today,  dont think our geriatric one is up to this challenge 😉

Got a hideous over the top text from my mother saying she hoped I never had to watch my daughters go through this. ?..like I didnt have enough nightmares galloping round in my head at 2am. Made me dry retch, my girls are 10 and 11. My cancer isnt genetic, its just bad luck my surgeon said,  so didnt need her crazy in my brain. 

Anyway lovely,  lets get cracking I say. Xx

Love to you all

Sandie

Highlighted

Make sure it's Organic coconut oil. Sold at tj maxx, Publix, trader joes, whole foods
Highlighted

can anyone tell me were you get cocconut oil from I`ll try anything to get my mouth better hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi san1952,I am so sorry to hear about your nausea and wish this new medicine helps and you get better soon. Best of luck.
Highlighted

Hi Only1know and welcome to the BCC forums where you will continue to find support from your fellow users, in addition our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so please feel free to call

Here's a link to further support ideas and information which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

Hi Sandie lovely to hear from you going for muga scan tomorrow hope the tickers ok if so will be able to crack on with the chemo im having 4 cycles apparently the T/C regime so should be finished end April fingers crossed speak soon Love Judi xxxxx

Highlighted

It's solid but melts when you put on your mouth. I take small scoop on my finger and rub around my teeth and gums, wait a lil and then spit out. Don't rinse though.
Highlighted

Hi all! I'm new to this site & forum. I wanted to join as you all seem so wonderful & supportive! I had a question on the coconut oil for mouth ulcers, it seems that you can only buy it in solid firm, do you melt it first and if so what's the best way?! I had my first chemo on 30th December and should've been having the second tomo but it's been delayed 3 weeks
Highlighted

Hi judi, I read ahead too...scary. ..xxxx hugs got the onconcologist appointment today. Hugs Sandie
Highlighted

Try swooshing organic coconut oil 2 times day. It helps kill bacteria and heal sores
Highlighted

hi bella still no better today  with nausea so rang chemo nurse and she has changed my tablets to cyclizine just taken the first one and I`m keeping my fingers crossed.mouth still sore but the mouthwash does seem to numb it for a time hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi there,

Hope everyone is coping with the sa of the chemo.  I was wondering if anyone has had any rashes due to the chemo.  I have a heat rash across both of my breasts that are itchy and stingy when you scratch them (yes I know I shouldn't scratch lol) I just keep telling myself that it means that where the chemo is working at the moment.

Hope everyone has had a good restful weekend

Hugs and Kisses

Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

Hi San 1952

My nurse has told me to use salted water to wash my mouth out with instead of mouth wash and to use bicarbonate of soda to put on mouth ulscers.  I am lucky so far my mouth has been ok except for the horrible taste in it.  I sucked on ice poles while I was getting my chemo (a tip from this site) which is ment to work like the cold cap.  I also still have my taste aswell at the moment but we will see  Maybe just a fluke this time.

I never got off the couch until day 4 after chemo.  I slept most of day 2 but was at A&E until 3am so that might have helped lol.  I managed to tidy the kitchen and do the dishes today but felt light headed and queezy afterwards so have rested for the rest of the day 

Hope you are feeling better soon

Love Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

Thanks Bella 84.  I have learned to make sure I take my anti sickness tablets in time this time and I will make sure I check with my nurse when exactly the meds they give me are going to run out then I will take them before them lol.  My main problem is that I have a phobia to taking medicine.  I can't take tablets at all and when I am taking liquid medication I have to work up to taking it.  

My next set of Chemo is Feb 3rd so we are not very far apart.  I am feeling ok at the moment.  I managed to tidy the kitchen and do the dishes today but after that I felt quite light headed and queezy so have rested the rest of the day.  Hope you do as good for your next set of Chemo

Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies i would love anyones advice i am due to start chemo in a couple of weeks time but the regime i  have been put on with being Her2 pos is Taxotere and cyclophosphamide i wondered if anyone else has had this and how they felt i have really wound myself up by reading all sorts of things which i know i shouldnt this forum has bee invaluable to me so should have come on here first Thanks Judi 

Highlighted

Hi Babtastic. Hope you are feeling better by now and from my experience I can say storieds helps big time as it prevents nausea and boots the appetite a bit too. Best of luck
Highlighted

Hi San1952. I am sorry to hear that . Hope you are doing much better today. Before the chemo my oncologist told me that if there is anything with the chemo note them and let us know before the second session as this helps them to change some drugs increase or decrease them so please let your oncologist know all the history next time and hopefully we kneel down the second chemo better than the first one. Take care
Highlighted

Hi Callacmanic. For the juices I just peel properly all the veggies and fruits that is it but I do add a table spoon of chia seeds, flexseeds and goojeberry which are cancer killer please try it and you can find them in Holland and barrette shop. You can mix a table spoon with yougurt , juices etc. Best of luck
Highlighted

I was juicing too but Dr says no uncooked veggies and fruit due to potential bacteria and infection. I am confused and want to continue to juice without worrying about infection. Are you cleaning fruits and veggies with anything special to help kill bacteria?
Highlighted

I had one treatment and in an effort to prevent mouth sores I have been swooshing organic coconut oil in my mouth every day. So far so good.
Highlighted

Hi Murphy 69, I had my first FEC on Jan 6th and sleeping has been rubbish until last night, slept 8 hours, only woke briefly once. No idea what has caused it but will be asking at my next appointment. I have heard others say that they think it's the steroids. Worth checking out with your chemo team perhaps. Good luck x x
Highlighted

hi bella today not so good still feeling nauseous and my mouth now sore.I`m using the mouthwash ,taking the maxalon and drinking gallons of water.manage to take our dog for her walk this morning but now think I`ll just lay on couch and watch some dvds it`s now my third day after chemo hugs to all Sandra

Highlighted

Hi san1952. I am glad your first chemo went well ( just five to go )I also drink plenty of water and I think steroids and anti sickness the day after chemo helped me alot on the top I do follow organic juices like mix of beetroots, apples, carrots, celery and hint of ginger it boots the imunim sys alot. But next time I will try to get steriods tablets before chemo I can see it helps alot . Wish you best of luck
Highlighted

Dear Pixxyuk. I am so sorry to hear that you ended in A&E thoes anti sickness drugs helps alot although first night i did vomit about 11.00pm but guess what as if all sickness is gone and I am the person befire chemo no tiredness no signs of chemo i went out for two hours done my shopping done my cooking had a great sleep too although I was absloutely fine but I got my anti sickness pills and steroids too i think that is the reason it went well. Today I will get my anti infection injection from the nurse and my next chemo is at 5th feb. Please drink lots of water and home made juices ( mix beetroot , carrots, apple , ginger and celeray) very good for immunium system. Best of luck
Highlighted

I would like to join it too - what do I need to do?
Highlighted

Hi Jane.  I would love to join the fb page.  My email address is**************  Hope to hear from you soon.  Jacquelyn xx

Highlighted

Hi Bella.  I started my chemo on Tues 13th.  I am on fec for the first 3.  I was sent home with anti sickness meds and the steroids.  I ended back in a&e by 11pm because I didn't take my anti sickness drugs quick enough (silly me) so I had been sick 5 times in 5 hours.  Since then I have been fine.  The only thing I seem to have is the acid reflux and the horrible taste in my mouth.  I have just read to take naps during the day sitting up and not to lie down after eating so I am going to try these as I hate taking any meds.  Just think you only have 5 more to go. That is what I am concentrating on.  I hope you get on OK during your treatment xx

Highlighted

hi bella one of the tips that has helped me is to drink pleanty of water.it is my second day after chemo and got 6 hours sleep last night which has helped me feel better.my mouth not very nice today feels yucky so using a mouth wash which helps.hope your day goes well hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi Bella84 and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support and shared experiences you will find here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support so please feel free to call to talk any concerns or queries over. Lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here's a couple of links to further support ideas from BCC and information about treatments which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

Hello everyone , I just started my first chemo yesterday and I am on Fec_t + Zoledax injection to protect the womb . For the first 10 hours had a very bad nausea and was feeling too tired then I vommited after that as if I had no chemo at all I felt absloutley fine as if i had no chemo at all. I will follow the course of medicine for the rest two days and wow first chemo is gone
Highlighted

Thanks Sandra, I'm feeling nervous about tomoro, just need to get the first one out the way... Well done to you for getting through this xxx
Highlighted

hi emma I have had nausea since chemo but haven`t been sick I`m just taking all the tablets prescribed my worst problem has been headaches taking painkillers which help hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi J-J

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  I've attached a link to the thread which Emu11 mentions:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/t...

I think there are about 34 pages now but if you go to the first page you should find the list of "Top Tips".  Hope this helps.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Highlighted

Hi j-j , Well done for getting through your first chemo..... I start my chemo tomoro but a few ladies have already started and there are some threads on "January gemstones " have a look , I have been told insomnia can be a side effect due to the steroids and not taking them too late in the day seems to help but not seen anything about feeling buzzy, have a look in the top tips for chemo thread too as they may have something in there...
Big hugs,
Emma xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Sandra, that's so good to hear, well done you for getting through your first night, I'm feeling worried about the vomiting as I do have a phobia but hopefully I will just have the nausea..... Nerves are setting in now for tomoro.... Will let you know how it goes.....
Big hugs,
Emma xxx
Highlighted

Hi everyone, I started my chemo yesterday with Fec, it all went well and I was much more relaxed than I thought. They gave me anti sickness drugs before and a huge bag of stuff to take home , the nausea hasn't,been too bad but I just can't sleep and feel a bit buzzy no one mentioned this side effect anyone got any tips ?
Highlighted

emma I`ve got through the first night following chemo.felt nauseous last evening so took my ondansetron and that relieved it,slept until 3am as my stomach didn`t feel right I took meterclopropermide with fair result but haven`t slept anymore drinking loads of water which I feel helps hugs Sandra

Highlighted

Hi Sandra, I'm glad it went well for you today.... Look forward to hearing from you tomoro ..
Big hugs,
Emma xx
Highlighted

well had my first chemo this afternoon and it wasn`t bad.they gave me steroids and anti sickness tab as my chemo went in and up to now no nausea.Told me that I won`t sleep well tonight due to late steroids.Had a bad headache but I think it was due to worry and it was very noisy in the chemo clinic.thanks for all your good wishes talk to you tomorrow hugs Sandra

Highlighted

What is the fb page called?
Highlighted

Hi sorry to hear you're not sleeping you need rest! What time do you take you're last steroid? Shouldn't be after 2pm apparently as they will keep you awake. I've only had 1 session so far and hated the 3 days of sickness.
Highlighted

Sheenar how did it go today?I`m having my first one this wednesday 14th.seroma to be drained at 2pm then physio to help my cording at 2.30pm then finally chemo at 3pm.got loads of water ,ginger biscuits and tins of pineapple if you find anything else helpfull please let  me know.Hope you sleep well tonight hugs Sandra