cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting chemo in July 2015?

513 REPLIES 513
Ros53

Re: Anyone starting chemo in July 2015?

Hi Everyone - this thread has been quiet for a while so hopefully we are all okay, doing well and living life.  I have finished treatment, surgery, chemo, rads and now on Tamoxifen.  All July ladies and this Forum have been a great support in not feeling I was going through this on my own and always there for tips and advice. Thank you.  I am now starting to get my life back to some normality returning to work on phased return and finally after always thinking about doing exercise, getting on and doing it.  As a result, I think the night time hot flushes have subsided - either that or I am too tired now to wake up!  It has also helped the lymphoedema.  I cold capped so lost the hair on the top of my head and now have a downy growth - Nixoin hair products have helped with this.  Mentally getting my head around what has happened over the last 9 months.  Sometimes I cannot believe I went through it all.  It has been an achievement and we are all so brave and determined fighters. Now I enjoy each healthy day and live in the moment.  Good luck and a big virtual hug to you all.  xx

Bibi44

Thanks Joyce, sorry only just seen it. You are dead right about the gift that keeps on giving.  Before you get this, you have no idea what is involved with treatment & its long range after effects. I worked out the other day that it will be around July 2017 before my hair looks like it used to.  That's a hellava long time to look weird/not yourself (& I don't even have long hair!) xx

joyce11

Hi Bibi44

My nails are doing a range of things - they started withridges and felt like they had been trapped in a door. Both thumb nails have come off and ther appers to besome nail growing there now. The rest of my fingers have lost the end ot the nail and what is left is white to half way down - don't think it will become a new fashion. Both my big toenails are sore and very lose so havegot plasters on them. It doesn't seem to stop does it???

Bibi44

Thanks Mazzi.  Wishing you a speedy recovery x

Mazzi

Hi Ros, thanks very much, back home now feeling ok bar the stabbing pains from the drain, will hopefully settle down next few days, just need to put up with sleeping on my back and upright which I hate.

With regards to the nail lifting, mine started with ridges going down them, then became sore before turning dark as if you had shut them in a door and now the ends have gone a creamy colour. Thankfully haven't lost any but did feel loose, if ever I was worried about catching them I just put a plaster round for protection. Hope that helps 🙂

Bibi44

Joyce11 would you mind if I asked you what they mean by nails 'lifting'? Does it mean the ends are detached, but the bottom is still attached? Or does it mean you can knock them off easily.  Also, when they come off, is there any new nail underneath.  Sorry about all the questions, but I am feeling very queasy about this nail dropping off stuff.  They told me mine will definitely lift because I'm having 12 taxol & it sounds horrible. Any advice from you lovely ladies would be helpful. Thanks & hope you are recovering from the Tax by now xx

Ros53

Hi Mazzi - Wishing you all the best for tomorrow when you have your op and will be sending positive thoughts your way.  Take care.  xx

Ros53

Hi Joyce. It does not say on it paraben free.  I have not noticed any difference in growth of eyebrows or eyelashes since using it.  My daughter used castor oil on her eyebrows when she was trying to grow thicker eyebrows and we noticed a difference so I am going to,try that now. I will let you know how I get on.xx

Mazzi

Hi Ros, had pre op assessment yesterday so hopefully all being well op next Thursday. Went to my Look Good Feel Better session in the afternoon, really good and lots of expensive products I would never normally buy, now have the confidence to put on some subtle eyebrows!!.

My fingernails have been a nightmare since the 5th chemo, 3 weeks on from finishing chemo and some nails still sore but thankfully have not lifted, they seem to get a pus underneath which eventually seeps out, then they have the appearance of having  been hit by a hammer, but growing out quite quickly. No hair growth for me yet and we all agreed at LGFB session that the one plus to all this was not having to shave your legs!.

Only other issue is my numb feet which I've had all along, but looking forward to my reflexology Monday to ease this. Have a good weekend all and wrap up warm:) x

joyce11

Hi Ros

Have looked at the eye stuff - did you go for the paraban free ?

joyce11

Hi Ros

It is 4 weeks since my last chemo and like you I have not had much hair regrowth which from the head point of view I am finding it difficult. My Radiotherapy does not start until 3rd December. I will be taking anastrozole but not until the day after the end of the radiotherapy - isn't it amazing how it all varies??

I have no eyelashes so relying on eyeliner - never worn it before so that is fun. My running eyes have nearly stopped so at least the makeup stays on now. I have not seen Mavala double lash - have however nearly boubought up boots makeup department so will look out for it.

Hope it continues to go well for you.

Joyce

Ros53

Oh Joyce, sorry to hear about your nails lifting.  Just when we feel the side effects are over.  How long is this after your chemo finished?  It is 4 weeks today since my last chemo and my hair is still falling out on the top.  I have not had any hair regrowth yet which is handy especially my legs.  I have been putting Mavala Double lash on my eyebrows/line and remaining eyelashes hoping to promote growth but nothing happening there either.  Started radiotherapy on Tuesday; on day four now.  The treatment is quick and the staff are all friendly.  It is just the drive and parking which is the problem. Has anyone started Tamoxifen? I have been taking it for nearly three weeks.  Will try and get out for a walk now and hopefully miss the rain.  Mazzi is your op still on course for 26th? xx

joyce11

Just when i thought I had got away with it my nails have started to come off - they were looking lovely to but hey never mind they will at least grow back looking like nails which is more than can be said for the hair LOL

Hope all the SEs have subsided and we are prepared for the next block of treatment.

Joyce

joyce11

Hi everyone hope all is well and SEs are settling. I am looking for ideas - I am a bit fed up of having no eyebrows or eyelashes and have a range of pencils etc for drawing on eyebrows - has anybody found anything else to do with eyebrows - semipermanent things etc Anything else for eyelashes other than the standard idea of eyeliner? All suggestions /ideaswelcome.

Joyce

Mazzi

Hi All, glad to hear your feeling better Joyce, I've now finished chemo and had PICC line removed yesterday, weirdly I am awake tonight with heartburn and gurgling stomach!.

I got my hairdresser to restyle my wig as it was too long for me, have been using a cropped style which everyone liked but it's a friend's one and it is quite tight, has probably shrunk with age so will have to let everyone get used to seeing me again with my original bob.  

Have my look good feel better afternoon on the 19th so looking forward to that, also pre-assessment for op, flu jab, (not looking forward to) and organising days/nights out with friends before op on 26th!, busy busy x

joyce11

We july 2105 folk have been quiet for a while - I for one am feeling human at last after last Tax - mind you hair growth is very slow and I find that quite deperessing as I can't imagine going back to work in a wig. My runny eyes seem to be improved by the latest thing I am trying via the Gp - Systane balance. Thank goodness for free prescriptions- mind you even without the dreaded C it would be free for me - old lady brigade!! I have just got my bus pass - tried and tested - what fun now I feel old but saving money. Go for radiotherapy planning next week then a few days away ay my sisters in Lancashire.

Hope you are all getting over any SEs

Joyce

Ros53

Hi Bibbi - I have used the cold cap throughout Fec and T.  It is two weeks since my last Tax and hair is still shedding mainly on top of head where to me it looks bald.  I cut my hair short but am able to do a "comb over".  My hair has thinned alot but I have not needed to wear my wig.  Batiste is great for thickening up my hair. Hope this helps.

Had my radiotherapy planning appt last Wednesday and due to start radiotherapy on 17th November.  It feels a weight has been lifted off my shoulders now I have an end date.

Spent last weekend in Hospital as my white count was high but was released on Monday with no treatment.  Concerned as I had had sepsis with the Hickman line just last month. 

Good luck to those of you preparing for surgery end of November.  Enjoy the weekend all.  xx

joyce11

Has anybody found anything really helpful for the running eyes SE. Bit fed up of looking down and wetting the floor with my "tears" - have tried hypermellose, antihistamine and some sort of gel but not helping - any ideas out there??

Bibi44

Thanks Josie11. Good luck  all you ladies who have surgery next BBx

Mazzi

Hi All, sounds like quite a stressful time for some with results, I know it's easy to say but keep positive. 

Having PICC line out next Tuesday will be so nice to be able to put my arm in the bath! Feeling ok at the moment, usual SE's, constipation nearly returned, really numb feet and fingernails at the point of falling out but otherwise after initial worry about finishing chemo, now so glad it's over.

Gearing up now for mastectomy and lymph node removal at end of November, spoke to a lovely lady in Oncology today who had her op first who gave me very positive feedback. Take care all x

Chenks

Glad everyone getting through SEs. Manicmum, I am in a similar position to you in that scan results are throwing my treatment plan up in the air and I am feeling very low and anxious. I know that I will have mastectomy and full node clearance at end of November and am currently struggling to lift myself for that but I have to remember Tax was only last Wednesday. My husband and I have booked a couple of nights away before the surgery - something to look forward to. It's not easy, but we have to keep on keeping on. Sending everyone good wishes.
Josie11

Hi Joyce, glad you're getting there and you've a break now. It's been some few months. I'm at the woozy, struggling to walk up the stairs stage but the steroid tail has helped with the pain so much. Just a few more days and I know I'll feel better :-). I can't believe radiotherapy will be anything as hard but time will tell. I hadn't realised that it's effects will last 2-4 weeks after in terms of tiredness and possible skin damage but I suppose that makes sense.

Bibi, I didn't use the cold cap so lost my hair but I have about half a cm of fuzz now, 7 weeks after my first tax and it started growing about the time of the first T, just slows a bit after each chemo . It looks very light though- suspect grey not blonde....! 

Bibi44

Hi July ladies. I am just about to start Taxol & wondered if any of you did the cold cap through FEC-T & could advise me if you hair continues to shed as badly on Tax.  I did pretty well through FEC 1 & 2, but 3 has really decimated my hair. Still have cover all over, but it is so thin now, it feels like baby hair. Any advice would be really welcome. Thanks. x

joyce11

Hi Josie

Feel as though I am almost over the last chemo - well apartfrom the runny eyes and chemo cough but generally not too bad. Will be nice to have a short break now before the radiotherapy - a bit of normality. Hope your SEs have been bearable from your last chemo. Have had someone tell me that radiotherapy will be a doddle - not sure how she knows as she has not had it !!!! Hopefullly it will be an easier ride than what we have just been through.

Joyce

Josie11

Hi Joyce,

Sorry to hear this round has been harder and hope that you feel better now and ready for the next step.

i had the last one on Wed and am pretty spaced out but not too sore so far. 

Take care, xx

Manicmum89

Do get. In there Ann! Heard about willows through a group on Facebook. Do apply! Very simple to do x

Ann1976

Hi all!! I have my last Tax this afternoon & not quite feeling the relief I thought I would! I seem to get quite agitated during the treatment & think this is worrying me a bit. I was fine on FEC, so wonder if it's a bit of a reaction. I've had a few nosebleeds each month, quite heavy & clotty (sorry tmi) but it's been my sandpaper mouth & lack of taste that's been the worst. I have done lots of googling & reading about having my masectomy & without immediate recon & feel much better about it now, just needed a bit of time to get my head round it. I will be starting rads in the new year. Manicmum that special day out sounds great, how did u find out about it?? I've got 2 boys 7&10 & they have dealt with this so well it would be lovely to have a nice treat. I turn 40 in January so guess I will have to get in there quickly!! I would also highly recommend the look good feel better day, & like u say the goody bag is worth going for in itself! People keep saying to me "last one, almost there" which I'm not finding very helpful but I know they're trying to be supportive! Hope everyone is coping with their SE, it seems to go in cycles on here, all quiet when we are feeling sh*t then picks up again in the good weeks. Good luck 💪🏼💪🏼 xxx
Manicmum89

Hi all

sitting at the hospital, waiting for my pre op appointment. 

I found the final lot of tax the hardest, perhaps because I got my MRI results the same day, and they weren't  great . Also my onc said it would all be over by Xmas - surgery and rads, but now it won't be. All in all  bad news on bad news took away a lot of my energy that had been keeping me going. However my throat and mouth finally feel better today and despite feeling very tired (little one was up with a uti most of the night) I'm starting to feel better.

I went to a look good, feel better workshop on Tuesday, was amazingly lovely. If you haven't been try and go. You get a fabulous goodie bag too. 

If you are under 40 you can apply for a special day through willows foundation. I've been very lucky and they are sending me and my family to centre parks at half term, which will be amazing. My girls, I know have found this all very hard so will e a lovely treat. I think there is something could the rose foundation/trust for over 40s that does similar.

x

joyce11

Hi Baz I am one of the "lucky" ones to have just finished my chemo - I had the 3 weekly lot and unfortunately found the last lot ot T really hard and 9 days on just starting to feel well. As everybody keps pointing out "at least it is your last" - not that helpful really.

I had some issues with sinuses and nose bleeds but not too bad. Like you ontop of the loss of hair etc - that's the thing out of all of this that I have coped least well with and continues to make me think I cannot go back to work yet.

I am going onto radiotherapy and should be through by 23rd December. I have put on quite  lot of weight but plan to deal with that in the New Year - but have had to go shopping  - I lost loads of weight (5stone plus) some years ago and have found this hardbut know it will be doable agin to lose the extra - ? couple of stone.

Keep going you will get through - enjoy your January off - I have some "free time " in November and plan to try to enjoy myself or spend the time willing my hair and eyelashes to grow LOL

Hope we all manage to have a good weekend.

Joyce

Bazookas

Hi all, just been trying to catch up with the thread. It's amazing that so many have finished chemo or almost finished chemo. I've still got another 9 weekly Taxols to go! The last one was booked on Xmas Eve but I've changed it to to the 23rd so I will feel OK on Xmas Day.

Re weight gain - I have put on 2 stone so far. I put on 1.5 stone while having 4 chemo sessions of EC (3 weeks apart). The high doses of steroids just made me feel very hungry and the only foods that stopped me feeling queasy were Rich Tea biscuits and toast! I thought I wouldn't keep gaining so much weight when I started the Taxol, but each week I seem to gain more & more kilos. People keep telling me that it doesnt matter, that I'll lose the weight further down the line but it's soul destroying not being able to fit in to any clothes and feeling unattractive. Being bald with a moon (steroid effect) face & one boob is bad enough! 

Are most people moving on to radiotherapy after chemo? My onc has 'given' me Jan off, then I start 6 weeks of radiotherapy in Feb.

Re side effects. I've found Taxol much more bearable than EC (I wasn't given FEC like the majority on this thread) but it's exhausting going every week. I felt nauseous & shaky after the first one but the chemo team changed my needs and things were much better from then on. I feel really good for 3 days of each week. My major SE is a really dried up nose and blocked up sinus feeling. Makes it hard to breath and I have lots of nose bleeds. Has anyone else had nose bleeds on Taxol?

Warm wishes & good luck to all especially those about to have surgery.

Baz x 

Josie11

Hi Mazzi, more likely I misunderstood 🙄. Thanks for your reply :-). Xx

Mazzi

Hi Josie, sorry I didn't make it very clear, my op in November is just for the right breast for now. My closest friend who had breast cancer about 4 years ago has had a reconstruction and opted to have elective surgery on her healthy breast so as to reduce the risk of it returning. 

My choice is due to the fact I am only an A cup which has been the bane of my life and as I've basically requested a boob job to go to a C although I would be happy with just a B!, they won't do it in November as at reconstruction they can save the outer part of the healthy breast for reconstruction x

Josie11

Hi Ros, last one 🎉🎉 and thanks for your good wishes - it's funny how at the start it felt like this day would never come and now it seems to have come so quickly.

Mazzi, I hope the side effects go quickly :-). can I ask why your surgeon agreed to having the double mastectomy?

Joyce11, I hope all is going well and you are nearly through the side effects.

Thinking of everyone, xx

Mazzi

Hi All, final chemo done and dusted today and only in Oncology for two hours, keeping PICC line for 2 weeks in case any problems, do feel crap tonight though and already in bed so definitely going to take it much easier for the next couple of weeks, May even stay in bed tomorrow, something I haven't done since first session, that's if I can get my son to stay in more and look after the dog! 

With regards to surgery I didn't have much choice other than to go for full mastectomy and lymph node removal as I'm so small and I don't think they like to do reconstruction until treatment complete, I think it is more difficult if you have a larger bust so I do feel for you. To get a positive from my surgery I have requested a preventative mastectomy on healthy breast and to be made at least a couple of sizes bigger, which my consultant is happy to do, but will be looking at early 2017 as with abdominal hysterectomy this Feb and op in Nov I will have had enough of surgery for a while!! Take care everyone x

Ros53

Last T3  tomorrow Josie. Good luck. I had my last one on Friday and side effects similar to my second T.  It is only now just sinking in that the chemo part is now over.

Turnercat - I have gradually put on weight about half a stone but think it is more the afternoon teas and fish and chips I have been eating. 

xx

turnercat

Thanks Jo x
Josie11

Thanks, Ann, 

Turnercat, we're all different. I didn't put weight on with FEC, but I have on T.

x

turnercat

Hi ladies just popped in from the September group having third FEC on Wednesday. Cant believe how much weight I've put on already. Does it start to level out x
Ann1976

Hi Josie, thank you for the reassurance. It's just such a lot to take in. Hope all goes well with your last chemo on weds! xxx
Josie11

Hi, 

good to hear how everyone is going and sorry to hear how some of us are struggling. 

ive my  last chemo on Wed as long as everything is ok so fingers crossed.

Ann, I had a mastectomy before chemo and am one sided by choice - couldn't face reconstruction. It's not so bad, honestly. The first wee while with the softie is awkward as it doesn't hang right but I just wore a padded waistcoat or open cardigan and that disguises any lopsided ness.  Once you're healed enough, the silicon prosthetic is great - it's comfortable and you get to try loads of shapes and sizes to get the right one - I'm really pleased with mine and so is the other lady who had an op the same time as I did. 

I also wasn't sure about reconstruction as I felt that as I go through the menopause, my remaining side would change and then I'd end up squint anyway - but that's probably me being daft!

i also have the choice of opting for reconstruction at a later date :-). Xx

Ann1976

I can't believe most of us seem to be coming to the end of the chemo stage & some have already finished!! I have got my last one this Thursday & really can't believe how quickly it's come around. Manicmum I am sorry to hear your surgery isn't what you were hoping for. All along I was told I would have masectomy with immediate reconstruction, bilateral as I'm brca1, which I had geared myself up for then last week my surgeon has said I can't have immediate recon as I need rads. I will have to wait a year. I am really dreading only having one breast & although I will be glad the c word will be gone I feel like another year has been added on to my "journey". I know I should be positive & get the thing cut off & out of me & I know many ladies don't have recon & are happy with the way they look. Sorry if I'm feeling sorry for myself!! Anyway!! Let's get the last chemos out of the way & hope SE aren't too harsh for the last haul. We have all done so well xxx
Mazzi

Hi Everyone, have just caught up with posts and it seems chemo is really getting to us all now, so glad I've got my last one Tuesday as well.

Have been ok compared to what some are going through, thankfully I haven't had the nausea with FEC although my eyesight is really bad at the moment and the eye gel I got from the pharmacy make it even worse. Also just about holding onto my fingernails, I have a ridge for almost every dose of chemo, lifting slightly and really painful sometimes, fatigue has really got to me and not feeling safe going out on my own as not good on my feet, probably due to the fact they are numb!

Even so I feel I've come off quite lightly but we must remain positive and push through the treatment as best we can. Have a good week all 🙂 x

Manicmum89

Hi folks

last chemo went fine on Monday. Finished the term off at school at. Been feeling pretty pants this weekend though. Aches, pains and the relentless heartburn.

probably cried more this week than over the last four months combined. Had my MRI results via the surgeon on Monday post chemo. Turns out although the tumour itself has shrunk, it has shattered so the overall footprint remains the same. Surgery with therefore involve removing the same amount of breast as it would have done without the chemo 😞

incan either have the lump area removed, which will leave me with a big indent, which will get worse through radiotherapy or I can have a breast reduction and have the other one done at a later date. I need to have the first layer of lymph nodes removed as well. 

Just feel like the chemo was pointless and now some of my positivitity has gone the side effects are worse. 

Hope you're all ok xx

Josie11

Hi Joyce,

Glad you're feeling better, it's sunny up here so I'm planning a wee walk later with the boys and dog. I hope your mouth feels better soon - last loss of taste :-). 

I'm just starting to feel nervous as it all starts again with the blood test tomorrow, xxx

joyce11

Just had 12 hours in bed and feeling like today might be a better day despite the oral thrush!! Sun is shining soI must get out later

Kobeobe7

A big well done for completing the course! I've still got a way to go but can imagine you must be feeling a massive sense of achievement and so you should. I hope this SEs subside for you soon xxx
joyce11

Just a little moan - i know I shouldn't as have just had last chemo ut Tax bus has rumbled into town and feel like *****.Hopefully by tomorrow will be okay - still not dressed might not bother, mouth like cotton wool etc etc etc - chemo going out with a BANG!!!!

Fanta-CB

Hello all, I had my last FEC 15th October and have had a rough week! I am on antibiotics for urinary tract infection. Joy. I even hallucinated this week, every time I woke up in the night I thought I was in hospital on life support machine. It was just so real. And spent all of Monday on the phone to a and E with the most horrendous constipation I've ever had in my entire life. TMI sorry. My bald patch has a definite Fuzz. YAY. I wore the cold cap the whole way through, but lost about 50%. I look ok in a scarf and have managed to avoid needing the wig so far. I went on a bike ride today and feel a bit rough this evening. Weird cravings for quavers and salty things. But I'm still losing weight so far. I will be so glad to put all of this behind me and I'm looking forward to radiotherapy in comparison to the last few months. My hair is my biggest deal… I wonder if I will hang on to what I have. Tonight, I want to cut it shorter as what I have left so straggly and horrible. Also, today everything smells of chemicals. Hope everyone else is doing okay and any pearls of wisdom to encourage hair growth appreciated! Xxxx
Josie11

Celebrations Joyce, 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Ros53

So glad to hear your news Joyce.  Well done you have made it!  Fingers crossed side effects are not too bad. Hope everything is going well for you manicmum.  My last Tax is Friday and I will be so relieved.  I have a planning appt with Radiotherapy  Department on 4th November so hopefully with be given dates for radiotherapy then and fingers crossed finished for my trip to The Bodyguard.

We have been quiet on here for a while so hope everyone is coping and enjoying the good days. xx