Anyone starting radiotherapy May 2014

Hi

I’ve had my planning meeting this afternoon and I start radiotherapy on 13th May.  I’m having 15 sessions.

Wondering if anyone else is starting in May.

Jaye xx

Hi Jaye.

I had my first yesterday so having most of mine in May. 15 but day off today as machine getting maintenance. 

Keeks

Hi Keeks

Hope your first went well .and keep posting to let us know how you get on.

What cream are you using?

Jaye x

Well Jaye that’s where I am getting so confused.

I got the cream recomended on here . When I went to get measured I asked the nurse about cream and she said it would all be explained to me at my first appointment. 

I asked the nurse yesterday and she said they don’t give me cream until my last appointment.  I was told don’t put anything on my breast and only use simple soap and deodorant on right side. Nothing perfumed.

now I don’t know what’s the best thing to do. What did they tell you when you were measured?

Keeks

Hi Ladies
I finished my rads on Friday. I was told to put aqueous cream on by my oncologist this does not contain any metal content, this is because any metal content would react to the Radiotherapy. I started 3 weeks before my radiotherapy and I was told that my skin had held up well and they did not think I would have any problems. I did have a red sore under my arm I treated that with Aloe Vera. I did buy the cream I wasn’t given any by the hospital. The effects continues 7 to 10 days after the Radiotherapy finishes. Any questions please ask I will advise if I can. Hope your treatment goes well.
Take Care
Angie. X

Hi

I wasn’t told anything about cream but was given a couple of leaflets to read,   Just found the bit about cream and it says to use aqueous cream 3 times a day but if the skin becomes broken then to stop aqueous cream and the nurse will advise on the best treatment.

I’ve been following the radiotherapy threads and have started to use aqueous cream daily in readiness for my radiotherapy and it seems to be softening the scars.

Jaye x

Hi Ladies

2nd day of radiotherapy today, only 31 more to go!

I am using E45 cream - as often as possible.
Salt of the Earth natural deodorant from Holland and Barrett
Aloe Vera Gel 99.9% from Holland and Barrett
Simple body wash.

I’ve been told not to wear a bra but as I have largish boons I have bought vest tops with internal support and a couple of wire less bras for going out in.

Looking forward to sharing info.

Take care LG24

Ladies

Just had a thought. remember to put cream on your back too.  

Oncologist said something about the skin on the back as well. This is one of those times I wish I had followed the advice on here and recorded my appointment. 

keeks

All interesting thoughts, never thought of back Keeks

Hope it’s going ok LG24 and thanks for the tips, i will be off to Holland and Barrett this week.

Jaye x

Hi

I started Rads yesterday, feel this is now the start of the end of treatment!! Thank goodness!

I was advised to use E45 twice a day, Simple shower gel and soap on the area, no deodorant and no perfume.

I have already been using aqueous cream and e45 as a general moisturiser in preparation. My friend who ended up quite sore got a prescription for aqueous with menthol which she thought was crazy as it was sore but she said it worked wonderfully!

Good luck everyone hope it goes smoothly. I am up for number 2 this afternoon just hope it is as quick as I was yesterday!!

ScottyB x 

Hi ScottyB

Hope No 2 is as quick and goes ok - how many rads are you having?

Jaye x

Hi ScottyB

How did day two go. I was in and out in ten mins. No one waiting when I got there so very quick. 

I read on here that someone put on the E45 before getting dressed so that’s what I tried today and I really noticed a difference.  Very cooling.  didn’t feel like a warm loaf today.

I have a two hour journey to the hospital  so I’m feeling tired with all the traveling but the nurse said it will be the middle of next week before I really feel anything caused by the rads.

take care

Keeks

Glad yours went ok today Keeks and that is a long journey for you everyday.  Hope you have a good time of day when the traffic isn’t too bad

Jaye x

My appointments are at 12.50 so not too much trafic.  My bloke took a weeks holiday so we go for lunch somewhere on the way home.  If the weather’s nice one day this week it’s icecream on the beach.

I try to do something nice every time I go to the hospital,  I find it helps. 

Keeks

Hi Keeks

That sounds nice especially the bit about the beach.

We’re in the Midlands so a long way from the sea.  We normally go for a weeks hols in Devon every May and September but having to give it a miss this May.

I want to get started on my rads and get it done with - about 13 days until I start

Hope all goes well tomorrow

Jaye x

Hi Jaye

I too start Radiotherapy on the 13th May for 15 sessions.

Hi Bella

Good to hear of someone starting at the same time.   Roll on 13th so I can get underway.

Hope everyone that is going to rads has a good day and you don’t have to wait too long.

Jaye x

Hi I am starting radiotherpy today! I am ging to have 23 sessions at Northampton General. I am lucky as it is only a few miles away. I have been told only to use the aquaous cream. I have got some sante shower gel which says it has no perfume etc.,But I’m sure I can smell something in it!  It was strange not using any deodorant this morning. Bit nervous and I don’t know why! Trying to rationalise it but its not stopping the feelings. I was very grumpy last night and shouted at everyone and the dogs! My period started yesterday - joy!

Hi Lawst
I finished my treatment at Northampton on Friday. All the staff are lovely. There was a delay and breakdowns on all the machines nearly every day. I had a 50 mile round trip so very frustrating. You will be fine and it will go very quickly. Hope your treatment goes well and you don’t suffer to many delays.
Take Care
Angie. X

Hey all- I was never going to reply on here, not sure why- just felt like it was admitting it was happening to me!! I had surgery on 2nd April and went to see my onc today regarding the radiotherapy- for some reason this upsets me more than th op did. I have to have 15 days and then 4 booster treatments because of my age 42, i was reading all your posts and realised you were all here doing the same, so glad i found the strenghth the reply- because you are all so supporting of each other— can any one tell me the worst they felt happen to them duing rads,love and hugs to you all- i admire each and every one of you XXXX