71141members
373782posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone suceeded on losing weight on Tamoxifen yet?

6 REPLIES 6
nicolamapp32

Re: Anyone suceeded on losing weight on Tamoxifen yet?

I was 9st when I was diagnosed in Jan 2005 and started Tamoxifen in Sept 05. I had already gone up to nearly 10st with the chemo and steroids and put on a further half stone during reconstructive surgery in 2007. I was miserable with the extra weight and felt BC had made me look frumpy at 37. By Jan 2008 I decided it was not Tamoxifen putting weight on me but my lifestyle due to my diagnosis. I decided to do something about it, started swimming and walking 4/5 times a week, ate more healthy foods, stopped snacking on the bad stuff, and controlled portion size. It worked, though took over a year. I lost nearly 2st and went from 12/14 to 8/10 (I was a 12 when diagnosed). It takes willpower to maintain but it is possible, just because we take tamoxifen does not mean we have to resign ourselves to weight gain. Good Luck.

Imi99

Hi - I put on a stone and a half within 6 months of diagnosis while having chemo and a masectomy. Started taking tamoxifen in January but at the same time I did start to try and lose waight, and have managed to lose just over a stone. I have a real sweet tooth so I just try and limit cakes/chocolate but have also cut back on cheese in a big way. Still have milk and yoghurt though.

Otherwise, I've just been trying to lose the weight slowly and not worrying too much if we've had a meal out or if I've over-indulged! I don't do any regular exercise and work full time so am stuck at a desk most of the day, but my 5 year old daughter keeps me active at weekends - I think that helps.

Good luck to all those trying hard to lose the weight - stick with it!!

Daisy_do

I am Tamoxifen for 4 months and put on so much weight with the mastectomy and recovery etc and then Tam wow it goes on so quickly and just wont budge.

The only thing that works for me is to stick to 3 meals and 2 snacks and walk a lot. My ankles are not good now so walk every other day and do 5 miles - if you check it out on google maps its not far just to high street and back.
The thing is not to eat more than your moving or exercising. I use a lot of home cooked soups of veg and some chicken and I cant eat bread anyway because of bloat. Fruit especially avacados, grapes, blueberrys, dried apricots, bananas for potassium seeds etc. The bran flakes have cherios in with them because of the taste haha for breakfast then I get up and do something like washing or clean the kitchen - anything to make me move. I walk to the library and sit and read for a while and then walk to the high street and mooch around. You have to keep moving and get rid of the calories and it doesnt matter if its concentrated exercise or swimming or walking or riding a bike - the only thing I can do is walk with headphones on and listening to Stephen Fry audio or Tony Robbins or music. I think I must look a sight sometimes with head bobbin and swollen ankles and hot flushes etc. but do I care - no I am losing the weight and feeling absolutely wonderful.
Just go slowly and make sure that you chew each mouthful properly and enjoy it. Take your time and look after yourself.

Good luck and if I can help any more let me know. xxxx

chipper

I had some hypnotherapy for ocd/anxiety a few years ago - it certainly helped with relaxation - I believe it is pretty good for weight issues- my brother in law is a qualified hypno and has a lot of success

poddle

Hypnotherapy certainly worked for me. I had it six months before diagnosis, completely stopped eating rubbish food, went down a cup size and found the tumour. So I'm really grateful to it.

ScottishHoosie

Hello. I haven't tried seriously, only half-heartedly. I've lost about ten pounds over the course of this year. I've yo-yo'd a bit, and never seem to be able to lose more than half a pound or at most a pound in one week.

I really should get serious about weight loss and go to the gym, walk more, etc.

mairead

Anyone suceeded on losing weight on Tamoxifen yet?

Hi All,

I have been on tamoxifen for 15 months now, finally changed brands to Nolvadex and hot flushes seem to be getting bareble, only getting about 3 a day and no noght sweats compared to what I used to get (about 3 an hour!) Anyway the weight is still there, was wondering if anybody who has been trying to lose weight on Tam has suceeded yet and if so do you have any tips? I am actually trying hypnotherapy tonight so she can make me not eat rubbish food, probably a waste of money but anything is worth a go lol!

Thanks,

Emily x