Anyone taking Alendronic acid?

Hi, I had a double mastectomy in September of last year.  ER positive and nodes negative.  On Letrozole and so far so good as regards side efffects.  However, had a bone density scan and have been called back to clinic.  I am worried in case I have to go on to Alendronic acid as I have read about the horrible side effects and my friends who have been prescribed this have all had to stop taking it because of the side effects.  Anyone had any experience with this?  Have I got to take it or can Calcium and Vitamin D supplements help.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Hi Brenda, I do not take it myself, but my sister has been taking it for a few years and I have a friend who has been taking it for about 18 months.  As far as I know my friend has not suffered any s/e.  My sister says she always feels a bit nauseaous after taking.  However, she normally eats the minute she gets out of bed, when taking it she can’t.  Once the required time after taking it has elapsed and she can eat the nausea passes.  I hope more people reply to your thread with personal experience of taking it and hopefully give you more information.  Good luck xx

Yes plus calcium tablets (with vitamin D) four years plus. I and lots of others I know who take it are all OK. All the people I know prescribed alendronic acid are prescribed calcium + vitamin D tablets as well by the way.

I do not know anyone who has reported side effects from AA but if you experience any  there are other medications that prescribed ( at least that is what my GP told me at the outset). Please don’t worry.

I should have added that if you already have low bone density then calcium +vitamin D tablets will not be enough, you will need more than that.

Brenda
I started Alendronic acid last Sept and have had NO side effects. The side effects from the Letrozole are horrible, but at least no new ones from the AA.

Hi, I am feeling a bit sorry for myself… I have just taken my second dose of alendronic acid (70mg weekly). It makes me feel rather ill. Will this get better? 

Hello Brenda and all,

I am on Bisphosphonates too (of which Alendronic acid is one type) as they are now offered as adjuvant treatment for early stage breast cancer for post menopausal women to help protect against possible future distant spread to bones. Every little helps - hopefully!

I opted for zoledronic acid (Zometa) infusion every 6 months for 3 years rather than daily or weekly tablets. The possible effects on the oesophagus and stomach along with another regular tablet to take put me off the oral route.

DEXA scan results showed me verging on Osteopenia before even the Anastrozole had time to weaken my bones. Hence, on weighing up the pros and cons, I decided to go for it. As well as reducing the chances of distant spread to bones, it could also reduce some of the Anastrozole’s damaging effects. What’s not to like?!

I am on three things that can cause joint/muscle pain I.e. Herceptin (2 more to go), Anastrozole, and Zoledronic acid. As far as I can tell, it is the Anastrozole that is causing more joint and muscle pain than anything else. I also take a Calcium tab with magnesium and vitamin D added. I sort my own out but I could get the Calcium tabs for free on prescription.

I started taking Calcium tabs before menopause and also did lots of weight bearing exercises but I still was near Osteopenic. However, maybe doing that stopped it from being worse. Who knows.

I had concerns about side effects such as jaw bone necrosis and possible effects on kidneys. Effects on jaw bone is very rare and kidney function/bloods are checked prior to infusion. I decided the pros outweighed the cons.

I am due my second one this week. It means another visit to the Chemo Ward but then I can at least forget about it for another 6 months.

Regards to all X