Anyone tempted to change life-style?

Hi girls,

I read a book this weekend, called The Choice. It tells of a woman who has had cancer twice and has decided to make some changes to her life. Changes are to stop eating dairy, distill all water she drinks, exercise more, stop eating sugary foods.
Can’t stop thinking about it, though I’m pretty sure I’m not too convinced that I could manage some of these…esp the sugar thing!
I thinkit’s because I can’t understand why I, out of 13 kids, have managed to be the youngest one and the one who is battling this thing.
Am I going mad girls?
Mo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mo
I think something like this makes you reevaluate and question things that perhaps we’ve all taken for granted in the past. One thing I think is that there is no rhyme or reason and you have to way up the quality of your life as well. If you could live happily and not resent having to give up dairy, alcohol, sugary foods etc then it would be a positive change however if you were constantly hankering after a treat and feeling you were denyng yourself then is that good for you? I personally am cutting down on dairy and feel that I am doing something positive, perversely however my sister in law had breast cancer 5 years ago which unfortunatly spread and did not have a good ending, but when I found out she had it I changed to Soya milk and spreads and here I am 5 years later. So who knows.
We can only do what feels right for us and do whatever makes it that little bit easier.
Love caz x

Well I went dairy free after a triple negative dx and often wonder if thats the reason I’m still cancer free nearly 5yrs down the line.I didn’t have a good prognosis and it seemed my only lifeline at the time! I certainly feel leaner and fitter and dont miss dairy at all anymore - except for my cheese and marmite sandwiches!! I’ve been vegitarian since my teens so initially I thought my diet would be very boreing but it’s far from it.

Josie x

Hi Everyone
I’m really interested by all your comments as I’m just reading a book called ‘your life in your hands’ written by Prof Jane Plant. It goes into quite a lot of scientific detail at times, a bit above me! However she is strongly for a non dairy diet and has done lots of research to back this up…worth a read and I’ve already changed to soya milk and non dairy spread cut out cheese and beef products, just wondering about all the other hidden dairy stuff in biscuits, cakes?! For me, coming to the end of my treatment it feels like this would be something positive to do.
Smiler
x

Hi,
I would think very carefully before you stop eating dairy. Calcium is so important, especially if you have to take an AI. There is no scientific proof that it helps in any way. Changing to soya is not the answer as many think this is bad because it contains something that has the same effect as eostregen. A nutritionist said that the only safe way to eat soya is as tofu or miso. Jane Plant’s views are controversal and unproved. She is not a doctor of medicine and although she claims her cancer was cured by stopping dairy, i believe she had chemo too. I changed to organic milk but that’s the only concession I made.

Yes i agree with last post as i was told not to change to soya as i was estrogen poss …
so be carefull ass your bones will need calcium.

I’m a vegan who eats a bit of fish.I seem to be getting all the right nutriants.The only supliment I take is cod liver oil.I feel as fit as a fiddle,walk for miles and at 50(it’s my birthday today!!!)I weigh the same as in my 20’s and feel (and am told I look) years younger.We can get all the calcium we need from green vegetables like spinach, and soya is not the only milk substitute -rice milk is similar.Granted the vegan lifestyle is not for everyone but it certainly works for me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you have a lovely day!

Shirley

Did you know Organic milk has no added oestrogen in it? They inject non Organic cow with oestrogen so they produce more milk, thus transferring it into the white stuff. Look after your bones and try the Organic varieties!

I agree with Kelley as well. If you are oestrogen receptive you might need to think carefully about changing over to soya milk plus we need all the various proteins, carbs etc.

My oncologist goes mad with anyone who talks about Jane Plant’s book as she thinks it does more harm than good.

I think until they know what causes breast cancer it’s about having everything in moderation.

HI everyone

You might find this information about lifestyle and complementary therapies useful

beta.breastcancercare.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.346

Best wishes

Ann

Thankyou Shirley.I’m just on my way out for a lovely day with my daughter.Aren’t birthdays so important after a BC diagnosis!Never thought I’d see 50 as my prognosis wasn’t that great.It’s hit me… and I’m walking on air!!

Josie x

Hi Josie, have a lovely birthday hope you keep on walking on air luve junieliz

Happy Birthday Josie hope it’s a good one!!
Thanks for the info about organic milk didn’t know about cows being injected with oestrogen urgh!! Think will change to organic, used to have soya before bc but have heard that its not recommended (soy milk) for women who have had bc.

caz x

Just want to join in this thread. I’ve been vegan for about 20 years - strict, no products of any animal, bird, or fish derivative, and probably a bit over 50% of my diet has been from raw foods for quite a while now, and it doesn’t really make a difference because here I am with breast cancer. I’m ER- PR- Her2+. I have soy products as a regular part of my life but mainly in the forms of tofu, miso, and so on, with minimal altered soy forms. I read the accompanying book to “The Choice” with interest and I think that if it works for you, great! It’s pretty much the way I’ve lived my entire adult life so is no change at all for me. What I can say about a 100%vegan diet/lifestyle is that so far it’s helped me make a quick recovery from mastectomy and has helped me cope with chemo. Of course, it could all change at the drop of a hat, but the way of life has worked for me for 20 odd years and no reason to change it now.

Josie - have a fabulous birthday!

Cat

I have absolutely no intention of giving up my treats because of BC. I am not convinced at all that these changes make much difference. My lovely friend who died this yr from secondaries had spent the last 2 yrs of her life eating strange and not very appertising organic, non dairy, etc etc. A very boring diet. Food is central to my life. We are a family of foodies. We all cook well, my son is a head chef in a very posh resturant and my daughter is also a chef. I have had my own catering business and cook most meals from scratch using natural ingredients. I do eat fat (butter) marg worries me, it’s not natural. I eat sugar but not masses, don’t like sugery drinks, drink plenty of water, enjoy wine, chocolate, chips, salad, veg, fruit, egg & bacon, pies, cake and so on.

If our diet is varied and we enjoy it, why make ourselves miserable in the vain hope that it will keep BC at bay. It clearly doesn’t in some cases (my friend).

Enjoy, eat, drink and be merry!

Irene

Totally agree with you Irene!!!

I’ve lived with it for the past 14 years nearly now and haven’t changed my diet because it was good in the first place.

Hey girls.

Thanks ever so for your responses. I think we’re all in agreement on the whole, and the only reason I wonder about diet is because here I am having to go through this whole thing. My diet has always been pretty good, I’ve never been overweight and eat lots of veg (hubby vegetarian) though I do put my hands up to having a sweet tooth and enjoying a glass of wine here and there (though sadly not while on chemo!)
Special thanks to Irene and Pinkdove, I hope you don’t think I’m mad, just having a crisis of confidence in my body.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, everyones comments been really helpful to me too, thanks. I’m coming to the end of my chemo at end of November and just really want a new healthy focus to make me feel i am doing my best after treatment finishes and i agree momathome with the crisis of confidence in my body, just how I’m feeling and want to do something positive!
Best wishes
Smiler
x.

Yes I have been there too, that body crisis thing, and it does knock confidence. I will admit to being overweight for me, and though I would dearly love to be back to 10 stone (I’m tall), Now at 13 stone but only just over the national weight thingy! I know when I drink less wine the weight falls off me but wine is a comfort to me.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and make decisions about our health and diet while remembering that if it is central to our lives and very important, why give it up. Everything in moderation I say.

How many times have we heard stories about people with bad diets or smokers living long long lives. My husbands gran lived to be 100. She smoked all her life and was very fit. She smoked woodbines (untipped) and at the age of 90, was a home help for a couple in their 80’s! What a character!

My point is, we know a bad diet, smoking etc can kill us, but I don’t think 1 thing causes or prevents BC, I am convinced other things play a part such as stress, lifestyle, genetics etc etc.

So I will still eat my saturated fats but will also eat lots of fruit and veg, lean meat and a mainly healthy mediteranean diet.