74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone want to be my chemo buddy? Start may 9th

Re: Anyone want to be my chemo buddy? Start may 9th

Thanks Sue, unfortunately I cant find anything (maybe chemo brain) do you think you have to donate first to get the possibility for pm's?

I will try more tomorrow... xxx

Paprika, it says you do not have Private Messaging enabled, when I try and send mine to you. xx

Hi again, I will try and pm you - so lets see whether that may work - sometimes, with newer members it takes a little while before the facility exists. So look out on your profile page and see whether something flutters into your inbox. xx

H Sue,

When I click on avatar, no other window opens.

The beach is on the east coast of scotland x

Hi Paprika,

Brilliant to hear - and great you got through your day.

Beach?! North/East/West/South in UK?

Re PM - you might need to e on a laptop or PC rather than a mobile device. If you then click onto the avatar another window should open and you should find the facility to pm on the right hand side.

xx

Hi girls,

I have done it, my first treatment and it was quite easy going...I felt no side effects so fare and still not. I am full of energy and had a walk on the beach. Hope it stays like that.

I have question, does anyone know how to send pm's on here?

xxx

Hi ladies,

Hoping you are all well and coping with what is being 'thrown' at us.

Quick update, in case you might be thinking I am getting off scott free on my first cycle, lol.

No temperature, but on antibiotics with tonsilitis. I am so grateful to my oncologist for prescribing those additional injections! And my local GP's practice for looking after me so well, too.

Day 2 off steroids, no need to take anti sickness tablets today (yet, lol), eating normal, energy levels absolutely fine, but resting all the same, to ensure I shake off this darned throat thing.

xxx

I'll be your buddy. New on site so not sure how this all works.I wouldn't call you negative, I would call you realistic and frustrated. You need support. I have been sick most of my life. When your sick you want to feel that you have choices in the decisions. Is there a social worker where you get chemo? Where do you live? Breast Cancer is no longer w death sentence. I know people in stage four that are fine now. Give me your complete diagnosis and I can give some great search sites.

Hi Flower,

I pm-ed you. Hugs. xxx

Still physically very well which is the main thing. Emotionally up and down......still shocked by diagnosis months after and self blame re its larger size and positive lymph nodes as feel it was my responsibility to recognise things before that point (but had a stupid benign lump of 20 years with 3 prior check ups due to growth over the years sitting right next to it). If it had developed in other "perfect" breast would have spotted it quick. Had a vague "is it growing again/I'll keep a watch" feeling which was for maybe a month as nothing really to go on. Then noticed that the benign lump felt more stone like and not as usual, and could see lump in a certain position which was new. Waited 1.5 weeks to see GP as needed to re register as had been abroad. I feel that them weeks made it go in my lymph nodes and very down on myself. 

Day 16 after first TAC and head hair starting to shed today. Very light at moment. Other body hair started 2 days ago. Bit depressing but expected I suppose.....x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya nettie....
Yes its a hive of information! And comforting to read other ladies experiences. Are you on fec? I'm on day 12 of first of 3 fec then 3 fect. Rads and hormone therapy x

I just wanted to say hello all!

I stared chemo on May 5th and am due to have round two of eight this coming Thursday. It's comforting to read all of your posts and see a lot of my symptoms and experiences are similar.

Love and hugs to all.

Nettie x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
I was on emend for 3 days after 1st cycle and had no loose stools....I had the opposite but senakot sorted that easily.
Thanks for the juicing advice....my daughter is researching recipes...I think they include flax seeds (no idea what they are, how ignorant)
Sue.....gorgeous photo! Hope your day goes well. Xx

Invest in a pot of Sudacrem, Sue!  Seriously, marvellous stuff for sore ar**s 😉 

I have a question for those of you already started.  I had my pre chemo chat yesterday and am going to be given Emend as an anti-emetic rather than Ondanastron.  My chemo nurse said that because of this, I was more likely to experience diarrhoea than constipation as FEC's tendency to cause the runs is usually over corrected by Ondanstron's ability to bung you up.  For those who've been on just Emend, is that your experience?

Thanks,

B x

Hi all,

And hope all goes well today Paprika and all of those who are waiting to get results or have treatment today.

Day 1 off steroids...I worked -  albeit from home.

My scratchy throat got worse, became painful  and had real struggle swallowing, but no rise in temperature at all. Also white spots over toncils and back of throat and very dry. Mouth ok though a little loss of taste, but not too bad. Also did not feel unwell at all, quite the opposite, lol. And - sorry ladies, my bottom was a little sore, too - suppose due to stress of 'solid' movement......

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley LOL

But did as told and phoned the helpline - Fantastic - they knew everything, once I had given them my personal hospital number. As I started on my  Filgrastim injections yesterday (not self administered though - I am a coward!), they told me Paracetomol, lozengers and talk to the GP's nurse, when I go for my injection.

Perfect advice! 

Apart from being woken at an ungodly hour by the crows and bird song - I slept through the night and my throat has improved, as has my derrière, lol.

Wow, that stuff really does work fast - so presume further improvement to come today with my next dose of the stuff! 

For those of you not knowing what this injection is - here is the Google answer - Granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF or GCSF), also known as colony-stimulating factor 3 (CSF 3), is a glycoprotein that stimulates the bone marrow to produce granulocytes and stem cells and release them into the bloodstream.

I am presribed these daily from day 3 for 8 days each cycle, and by all accounts - will be most grateful for it.

So, here is to another day - this time out seeing customers! Normality! Well, sort of, lol.

And to cheer everyone up - picture I took in the garden yesterday -

Rhododendron

xxx

Hi all
I got the free prescription form from my gp took about 2 weeks to come through keep your receipts from any prescriptions you pay for before it comes through and you should be able to claim it back. The exemption card lasts for 5 years and you don't need to hand it back after treatment has finished.
My hair has started to fall out slowly but surely. Be careful of juicing lots of fruits apparently it turns to sugar i also heard juiced spinach is good for raising white cell count.

Good luck for tomorrow paprika

Tracy xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi flower
Ill ask af my next session if i remember x

Unfortunately only for meds, and not body cream etc....bummer

My oncology nurse gave me the free prescription certificate. 

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh and if im up to it I've been invited to see Jackie the musical tomorrow night! Ill definitely need a good nap in the afternoon if she wants me to stay awake! Mustn't forget handgel! X
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi cal
My throats still weird...will get some strepsils tomorrow after I've seen my dentist!
Hubbys bought me a nutribullet! Happy days, got to collect Wednesday.
Bought a few more bits today..,paraben free face n body creams ,nail n cuticle oil and shower gel. ...oh and organic milk and almond milks to try! ..,and dry coloured shampoo! Costing me a bloody fortune this chemo! I need to find oout how to get the free prescription form X

Hi Tina - Knowing nothing about juicers I am not sure I can help but having said that I saw an osteopath today for crainiopothy and he mentioned juicers! He recommended one that was slower speed as the very high speed ones have a tendency to burn the fruit as it is rotating so fast ! Looks like the one you have chosen has a choice of speeds and is dishwasher proof and easy to clean !! bonus ! 

I have started sucking strepsils as my throat is odd and voice appears weak ? Hope I can get on top of whatever it is. Good luck with juicing ! Cal B 

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi PAprika
Its the waiting isn't it that's awful....I had a 2 hour delay too before my first treatment. ...not good. I'm now at the stage where I'm thinking roll on number 2...then I'm a 3rd of the way through! There was a man on his last 1 when i was in there and his wife let off party poppers and balloons when he finished and had photos with the nurses! Made me feel quite emotional. .. Are you trying out the cold cap? Xx

Hi girls,

hope you all do well and do not suffer badly from side effects.

Maybe I am the last one in the May Starter Buddy group queue? tomorrow is my day and I feel like a head less chicken.

Have a nice day xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9099407.htm?_$ja=tsid:59157|cid:337401273|agid:26...
Does anyone see anything wrong with this juicer? I'm not spending loads....thoughts? X
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi cal,

Yes, thats exactly it....im currently attempting to drink my daily  green tea and have added honey. I really wish I  liked it but even the smell makes me gag lol! Im known for not liking green stuff but at least im trying.  Im thinking of buying a  juicer tomorrow. ...blimey theres so many of them! Do i need to narrow them down by a particular feature?  Thing is ill only use recipes that sound tasty  (self confessed fussy eater)

So fruit rather than veggies may be my "effort ". Xx

hi tina i had something similiar for a couple of days - i bought lemons and honey and made a hot lemon drink with a spoon of honey. seems to have sorted it. It is a funny feeling - i found i had to concentrate on swallowing ! Cal B 

Hi Tina, no I do not, but do buy the grass fed cows Dutchy organic from Waitrose. Don't go for Soya, been advised against it by my Oncologist - if rice milk. I am ER+8 HER2- So you might wish to avoid anything containing much growth hormones. It might be a good idea, although expensive, to switch to organic meat, as it is much better controlled and also medication to animals to keep them healthy, are limited, too. There is only so much one can do - and I like to live and enjoy my life - a little of everything will always be good - it is simply the over indulging on a regular basis, lol.... Eating normally is good - Do not let yourself be confused and made frightened by fads and companies making money on the back of our fears. Simply try and avoid, as much as you can, cheap ready meals (can be a cocktail of chemicals) on a regular basis. I do not know whether you do - but cooking from scratch with healthy ingredients is actually not that time consuming and is much, much better for you. Started this thread - for positive stuff on food and beauty - simply to keep that stuff in a single place - and about the funny and positive bits of how we cope - it is hopefully going to turn into a feel-good thread. https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Chemotherapy-Tips-and-Tricks/m-p/1017289#U1017... xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi sue
Yes I still have them.
Ill try a honey n lemon later.!
Do you avoid cows milk by the way? I'm er and her2 positive. Don't want to be doing myself harm (even though I'd miss it like crazy). I'm just eating normally (on days I feel like it)...is this wrong? I asked my oncologist but she was totally uninterested in anything that was to do with diet etc. Xx

Hi Tina,

do you still have your tonsils? And even if not - Don't forget, that as our immune system drops those bits, which are there to usually keep us healthy, will be affected. So it may be a throat rather than a tummy issue.

I had a bit of a scratchy throat, and a bit of dryness and a little of a feeling of wanting to swallow something that is not there - and took to Strepsil Honey and Lemon, which soothed it all.

However - if in doubt - ALWAYS phone the helpline!!! That is what it is there for.

Good luck with getting it sorted 

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all.
Does anyone else get a strange throat feeling? Its like there's a lump that I'm constantly trying to swallow ...not painful as such...just constantly there! Tried gaviscon. Wonder if its an allergy? Should I call up about it? Don't want to be a fusspot though xx

Hello everyone I have been surviving week 1 and thus not feeling like posting 😕. Its now end of week 1 and although I am feeling tired I am managing to eat quite well. Like others I have had a lot of wind and discomfort before eating. Stomach is working overtime and anyone would think I was starving if you could hear the noise!! Constipation was an issue but seem to have that sorted now. Have had several appointments this week including a bone scan. I guess they gave me a focus for each day! I am hoping that the foggy head feeling 'chemo brain' will start to wear off soon as I want to start focusing on normal things. 

Having caught up on lots of posts, it seems I have missed a lot - sending hugs to those who have had a tough week and sending good wishes to those due to start treatment soon. 

As always the forum is a great help, keep posting and I will try to do that too! Cal B 😎

Thanks Tanyette, I lost my appetite during the first week too. After checking with oncology, I took metoclopromide for the first 5-6 days alongside the other anti-sickness drug I was given which I took for 3 days. If you need it you need it ... 

By the way, hair starting falling out yesterday 12 days after I started chemo but at the moment you wouldn't know to look at me, I still have a full head of hair. 

Xx 

Thanks Sue, will do. I will be on the Metoclopramide from tomorrow as the anti sickness they gave me was only for two days and they have given me Metoclopramide for when I need it but can't see me managing without it! Speak soon xxx

Thanks Isabelle I won't! Don't think I will have the strength if my appetite doesn't come back! I'm really sorry to hear you have been so I'll! Hopefully you will get through the rest of it with no more serious complications. Glad you are getting stronger, take care xxxx

Hi again Flower, your feelings are totally normal. We are coming to terms with loss.

I don't know if this will help you but sometimes when I need comfort I do some of the things that brought me comfort as a child.  For example, dragging all the sofa cushions on the floor, dragging the duvet into the lounge and making a nest and watching Disney films.  Singing along to The Lion King always makes me feel happier!  'Playing' can be a brilliant distraction, for example baking (you could even make play dough). Doing some gardening (even if it's just planting seeds). Getting the Lego out. Doing some colouring or painting. Or perhaps decide to try something new to occupy your thoughts, for example, I've decided this summer I'm going to learn to knit! 

Take care xx

Thanks everyone. There is a 3 month waiting list for counselling. It has mainly been the last few days. Got all prepared for chemo and was focused on that, but now in bit of a slump. I have too much time on my hands and am bored, and then dwell on things. I will put my name on list. Likely will move forward with it all. This has all really knocked my confidence though xx

Thanks Flower, Paprika and Tina,

Flower, huge hugs ... in many ways I am still in shock too. It is a shocking diagnosis and not one you expect when you are in the prime of your life. It is totally natural for us to be feeling this way.   It is really good you felt able to share your feelings with us, it's a positive step, but I would urge you to seek professional support, especially if your feelings continue ... I have good days and not so good days, when I was diagnosed I was offered free counselling and took up this offer.   Perhaps ask your breast cancer nurse or oncology nurse whether there is free counselling available in your area or other therapies?  There may be a waiting list. My advice which is based on my professional knowledge, is to use all the help and support available to you. Those who seek and use support are more resilient (more able to bounce back from adversities) and do better, both physically and psychologically.  

All ll the best, Isabelle 

Hi Paprika, Usually when on laptop - click onto avatar and it should allow you to send one. Might not be enabled yet, if you are a very recent member. And thank you for your thoughts. xxx

Hi all!

Tanyette, I agree it's fear of not knowing what's next. It's good you are feeling better.

Missy, hope soon you are not so tired anymore, its great you still continue working with your horse even its a short time.

Isabelle, sorry you had this bad experience, I am happy you feel better.

Sue, good to see you are well. I tried to PM you, but Sue, sorry, no idea how to do this.

Flower, I send a hug.

xxxxx

Hi Flower, Glad you are coping with the treatment - if you want to share why you are so down on yourself and rather keep it of the thread- please pm me - I am a good listener - I do very much understand how this can rock your life - as nothing appears to be the same any more and the worry that it may never be the way it was The searching for blame - which usually ends up with oneself - which is so very wrong. Adjusting is challenging for many of us, and eventually we do - some sooner - some later. Having time on your hands can be challenging too - too much thinking time - and no one around to help put those thoughts into order. I would like to support you through this, if you wish... Love Sue
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh isabelle, were you  kept in then.. ? You poor thing xx

Ive sinned todayand just washed,albeit very very gently, my hair!  I feel better for it but fear i may pay the price. I haven't got much willpower have i...its only day 9! Tut tut....must try harder xx

Hi All

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Isabelle.... That is no good, but glad you are on the mend now. I have not posted much recently. Physically I am well for which I am truly grateful, but have become quite down in myself.  I have to much time on my hands to dwell at the moment. Must pull myself out of it. Life has changed and I am still in shock that this has happened to me. Hair is still there and growing! Day 13 today though so I guess will go soon......xx

Thank you very much Sue xxx

Hi Isabelle, So sorry you had such a horrid experience and relieved to hear you are improving. Thinking of you and sending you all my best wishes and that the next time it will be easier. xxxxxxx

Hi Sue, Paprika and Tina, I developed sepsis. I was put on iv antibiotics, fluids and a very strong painkiller.  I am usually fit and healthy ... Getting stronger again every hour!  

Tina, Missy1 and Sue, my scalp became prickly and sore in hospital and they said it was a sign of the hair follicles changing. At the moment I still have all my hair. I had it cut short 2 weeks ago before chemo but it has grown a lot so when it starts falling out my hairdresser will come over and cut it very short (mustn't shave due to risk of abrasions, cuts etc)). I have always had very pretty hair and it is part of my identity so it will be odd to lose it but I have a beautiful wig and lots of headwear now and to be honest it is only hair and should grow back and it will be interesting to see how people react to me ... This weeks experiences have changed how I view all this chemo lark. 

Tanyette, I had no appetite in my first week either. I didn't feel well enough to do any housework. Don't overdo it! 

What happened to me was unusual but if any of you feel ill call your helpline. 

Take care, 

Isabelle 

Hi all - good to still see that things are not too bad mostly.  I am now a week past my first treatment.  I was doing ok til came off steroids (it does seem we all have different protocols as to the supportive treatment?) after day 4 and then just felt sooo tired.  Otherwise has mainly been hiccups and popcorn smells,.  My appetite seems unaffected, so has been the tireness that really affected me for the last few days.  Being normally v active I have found this really difficult and frustrating but all things considering can't really complain.  I too have had an itchy scalp - precrusor to hairloss?  However, am feeling on the up again now - I managed to get on my horse yesterday for 5 minutes so I know am feeling more myself again 🙂  

Hi Tanyette, Thank you so much - feel quite humbled.... I think I am just lucky - so far. They have given me Lansoprazole - which is a gastro-resistant tablet, which I take once a day an hour before breakfast. It seems to ensure my stomach works well - i.e. heartburn, anti acid, etc. Additionally I have Metoclopramide 10 mg as an anti sickness 3 x a day. I am a bit more gassy, lol, than usual - and my tummy rumbles a lot. I find eating regularly is helping me a lot. Yes I have the ginger biscuits, too - and I also snack on Finn Crisp Original Thin Sourdough Rye Crispbread to keep my tummy busy. I cannot say - I have a particularly big appetite, but know how important it is to eat well to support my body. Started a thread https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Chemotherapy-Tips-and-Tricks/m-p/1018900#U1018... And due to post some tasty and easily digestible recipe on there - have a look in and see whether it might encourage you ... xxx

Hi Sue, you are amazing! Can't believe you are managing double fried egg sarnie, wine etc!! You must have one strong constitution!! My appetite is zero, taking me all my time to eat ginger cookies and half a cheese sandwich yesterday! I'm just pleased I can do my housework, washing and ironing etc. I made a curry for the family last night but there's no way I could have eaten it, but to be fair because of the heartburn I'm not going to risk curry anyway. I looked in the fridge and cupboards and didn't fancy anything just not hungry, I also consider myself a high energy person normally but having to hearing what you manage I'm not! I'm sure you will be fine all the way through and I do think a really positive attitude like you have is why. You are definitely a great encouragement for us all and thanks for that and all the tips, speak soon xxx