Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with a picc line????

10 REPLIES 10
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Anyone with a picc line????

Had my PICC line in about 4 weeks now, I'm also scared of needles but it has beena god send. Recent admission to hospital and treated for neutropenia and it was great no needles and had IV antibiotics through the line.

Good luck with it x

horsie5050

Girls. Please support "Piccapicclinecover" on ebay. they are so cheap and sold by a lady here in our own forum. She gives some profit away . they are lovely, easy to wash and keep everything tucked in. Had problems with my port, but the PICC line is a doddle, so pleased I have it. Hugs to you all. xxx

Melrose15

Hi I agree with others. When they put it in you are lying down and if you look the other way you won't see anything. It does take a few weeks to settle down but you soon get used to it. I got sleeves on eBay. 'Pickapicclinecover' and they're very comfortable. I also, like Artemis, got a Limb0 waterproof cover for showering and bathing, its great and can get wet for up to 20 minutes.
If you have any Bach Flower Remedy take some drops before the fitting and use some relaxation techniques. Once it's in that's it. No more needles!! Xx
QueenDrama

my picc line was worth iots weioght in gold!!!!!! x
juliemb

than s sue, he thought of needles just freaks me out really bad, feeling sick today, worse then yesterday buts its bearable i guess, xxx
catzooo

I love my PICC line. Had it since February for chemo, now for Herceptin.
Putting it in doesn't really hurt. You are lying down. The nurse will numb the skin with local anaesthetic. Then put in the line, a very thin blue tube which is pushed in until the end is in the chamber above your heart. doesn't hurt at all but you may feel a pushing sensation. You will then be sent for x ray to check its in the right place.
Definitly worth it. Just think no more needles.
x sue
angiepops

hi
i got a blue shower sleeve for in the shower from boots, if i go in the bath i stick my arm up and i can still lay down. as for the cover, i had a black uniform at work so i cut my OH's black socks up to match. the hospital sleeves look like youre ill so i didnt want them. you can do any colour and its cheap, the ribbed edge closest to your elbow, looks fine. people dont even notice.
honestly, it sounds a bit nuts but it works perfect and you can chop and change as you want.
angie xx
juliemb

thank you ladies for making me feel less stressed!!!!! where do you get the coloured picc covers from???
julie xxxx
angiepops

hi
ive got a picc line, its easy, i love it, i wouldnt have been able to cope without it. i would definately reccommend it.
angie xx
artemis17

Hi Julie,

Im a "June Jewel" and had a PICC line fitted due to very small veins. Its fine honestly. Once its done there no more needle sticks during chemo and on going treatment, you can get picc line covers in a variety of colours, a limbo0 waterproof cover for baths/showers and once its settled (after a week or so) you cant feel anything.

As for the proceedure, you'll likely be laying down and wont see the needle, to be honest your arm is numbed so cant feel anything. I am actually exchanging the PICC line for a portacath as i have a long old haul with Herceptin and PICC lines arent really reccomended for more than a year, but have to say the PICC line has been fine.

You are a little restricted if like me you do a lot of fitness, ie i cant "punch" in combat or have to not raise my arms way over my head in Zumba & cant lift heavy weights, but otherwise its not a problem.
Any other questions feel free to PM me.
Good luck, you will find chemo/bloods so much easier.

xx
juliemb

Anyone with a picc line????

Hi all, as some of you will know, I have a massive needle phobia so my 1st chemo session yesterday was more stressful than ever!!!! After 3 nurses, 4 attempts and almost an hr of trying, I have been booked in for a picc line, 13th August. How bad and stressful will this be, as I have been told its a mahoosive needle, nooooooooooooooo, stressing already, lol,

Love Julie xxx