Applying for a new job - advice please

Ok.  I want to apply for a new job, same employer but new department.  Treatment is over and I am NED but I am waiting for a referral to the plasic surgeons.  I don’t want reconstruction, I want a prophelatic biltateral mx.

Under the Equality Act Cancer is a recognised disabilty.  Question is - do I declare it?  It is illegal to discriminate, but is that a reality?  If I don’t declare can I expect them to accept a 6 week absence for surgery?  I am a local authority employee. They have been great through my return and my targetted therapy, covering my absence and being very understanding.  It is all there on my record so I can’t deny it.  I want to move on from my job and the new one would be perfect.  So how honest should I be?

You don’t need to mention it at all. It is irrelevant as to how well you can do your job. Employers these days do not have a right to question you and you have no obligation to mention it either. And even if you did mention it, they can’t use this as a reason to refuse you the job as that would be discrimination and you could sue them for it. So just allow them to judge you for your skills and suitability. Good luck.

Interviewers are not supposed to ask health questions at interview now.  Health declarations are supposed to be done after job offer, then they have to work out how to deal with it.  I think I would tend to keep it quiet at first if pos, but then maybe ask HR for help with how to approach the new dept when offered it.  Good luck