Did you mean: 

Appointment Date for clinic next week

88 REPLIES 88
Highlighted

Re: Appointment Date for clinic next week

Highlighted

Hi Amanda,

I like to look at it from the position that I am cancer free for the moment. My doctors are very positive, in fact my oncologist told me that I didn't have cancer any more after my 2 ops, but I don't want to tempt fate so will never use the "I'm cured" phrase. Because mine was hormone dependant, I probably never will. My mum had cancer when she was 45 and it will be her 80th birthday next July. I've learned quite a lot from her positivity, and as they suspect it may be genetic (though not BRCA 1 or 2) I hope I can emulate her and go on to live a full life. The recurrence issue is my main worry, and since lobular cancer is more likely to reoccur in either breast, my surgical team think a bilateral will give me the best quality of life. 

Ann x x

Highlighted

Thanks Ann, I think I am already recognising that a change for the better is that I have a different perspective already...not so easily wound up or complaining about trivia! On the down side, I think I am not ever going to feel really safe again, even if my outcome is positive.

You have had a lot of treatment already...are you in remission, or it that too soon. I suppose you are having the bilateral mastectomy so that you can get rid of the worry about a recurrence? When you are diagnosed; there is so much racing through your mind and all this new language to learn, that trying to hold out for more surgery than they thought necessary would have been impossible. In the end, it's your body...I think you're making a good decision and will feel relived once it's done.

I'm 53 and have four grown up daughters and fed three of them....mine have done their job so if there is any question that a mastectomy would be better than a WLE, then so be it! I'll keep you informed, seeing the surgeon on Wednesday, so I hope I'll at least get a date for the op.

Amanda xx

Highlighted

Hi Amanda,

i was was diagnosed way back in November 213 with a grade 2 invasive lobular cancer with no node involvement. I had 2 X WLE (second time to get clear margins) followed by chemo and 15 sessions of rads with 3 boosters tagged on at the end. I coped really well with chemo and had no problems with rads other than my skin split directly under my boob. I managed to work throughout my treatment and tried to keep my life as normal as poss during treatment. I finished active treatment in September last year, and while I have healed really well physically, emotionally ive been unable to move on. My mum is a BC survivor and underwent an immediate mastectomy, whereas my aunt had WLE followed by mastectomy later and died of the disease (although I must stress that my aunt died in the 70's when treatment options were limited). I had decided from an early age that if I was unfortunate enough to get BC, I would want a mastectomy. On diagnosis my BCN and surgeon managed to change my mind, and it's a decision I've bitterly regretted since. So now I'm going to undergo an elective bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction at the beginning of December. 

Sorry for for going on! I sound like a right manic depressive but I'm generally really well and now that I know my mastectomy is going ahead, I have long spells where I totally forget that I had cancer. It's changed me as a person. I'm much less judgemental and much more relaxed than I was pre cancer and things at used to drive me mad don't bother me anymore, so there's definitely been some positives to having this horrible disease. I hope you get the best possible results from your surgery and that you're spared chemo and only require rads. Will be checking in to see how you get on.

Take care and big hugs, Ann x x 

Highlighted

Thank you for your kind words Ann, everybody here is so lovely and supportive, it's good to be able to talk to those who really understand! I have been looking at the 'Newly Diagnosed' section too, but there are so many ladies and all at different stages and with different situations that I felt a bit overwhelmed that and think I am a bit 'in between' at the moment...until after my surgery and the results from further examination of the lump and node, I am still quite unsure where I will be heading.  I'm beginning to understand why the ladies here talk about a 'journey' and it's becoming clear that things are going to change along the way!

If you don't mind me asking, how far along the line are you Ann, and how have you been coping with the treatments?

Amanda xx

Highlighted

Hi Faed.

I'm so sorry that you've had to join our club, I had sincerely hoped to be reading that all was well with no further treatment required. However, as Jill has said, 10mm is very small (mine was a whopping 37mm grade 2 lobular cancer in comparison!) and you've found it very early. If all stays the same once the lump has been removed, all the stats point to you having an excellent chance of beating this. And as you travel on your journey, you'll have all these lovely ladies to support you and keep you company. Take care Ann x x 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Telling people is emotionally very exhausting.10mm very small,early stage.ER status is something they test for to see if you tumour reacts to oestrogen , if it does they will prescribe you tamoxifen .
Highlighted

It's just under 10mm. What does 'ER status' mean? Sorry , I have a whole new language to learn now! I will definitely pop over to "just diagnosed" soon. Just told the two eldest daughters and my sister toninght and now am feeling rather tired and weary! x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Did they tell you how big the tumour was or any other info eg ER status ?There are quite a few ladies who have recently been diagnosed talking on the "just diagnosed thread" we give each other slot of support if you want to join us.
Highlighted

Good you know what's happening Amanda. Sounds like most peoples appointment. Fingers and toes crossed its not in lymph nodes then you can get this all behind you.. Lorna x x x
Highlighted

So I have a diagnosis of a Grade 2 invasive ductal cancer. I am seeing the surgeon on the 19th, then hopefully about three weeks after that, have an operation; a lumpectomy and a 'sentinel lymph node procedure'. Only when they examine the removed lymph node will they know if the cancer has spread, I think those results come in a couple of weeks after the surgery. 2 - 3 months after the surgery they begin radiotherapy. (They didn't really want to talk about chemotherapy as it was "jumping the gun" but I expect that will come into play if they find the cancer has spread) They said it is not life threatening but really, I realise that they say that without really knowing if it has spread. I don't recon I will have a fuller prognosis some time late September or October.

Not what I wanted to hear of course, but there it is! I don’t like having to wait so long until they can tell if it has spread but I am happy with the hospital and they way they are dealing with this.

Amanda xx

Highlighted

Good luck and keep us posted. P.S not many of us do think of people out there going through this until it happens to someone close or in our case ourselves! it's rife sadly but all looking far more encouraging on the treatment front. Sending love lorna x
Highlighted

Yes, when I give it some more thought, I do quite often think that something will turn out bad, so as not to be too upset when it does, or pleasantly surprised when all goes well; so I guess my thinking now is about the same, but the stakes are higher! 

I will definitely be trying to stay positive if I am diagnosed and you're right of course, the treatments and research are coming along all the time.

Now, time to try and get some sleep, I have only had one bad night so far.

Thank you you so much for your encouragement and positive words!

Amanda xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm a pessimist but that's me,I prefer to prepare myself mentally for the most difficult things and then if they don't happen I'm relieved , if they do Im prepared .Just have in your mind whatever ,that there is a very high survival rate from breast cancer particularly when caught early and progress being made rapidly as well .
Highlighted

I think that's about where I'm at! Maybe I should be more positive...this is definitely uncharted territory! 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best eh?
Highlighted

Thank you for you kind words and support, it really does help and means a lot to me. I guess you think the worst and hope for the best, but for some reason I have this feeling that I will not be getting the all clear; must be the inner pessimist I didn't realise I had! Not sure how well I will manage to sleep tonight, I find myself wondering just how many people are out there right now, waiting for results and also how many having treatment? I feel guilty that I have never given it any thought before. I will keep you posted, hopefully sometime tomorrow afternoon xx

Highlighted

Oh faed the dreaded results day..it's horrendous waiting to hear but as Jill says, whatever the result it's the start of treatment and the road to recovery hopefully. Will be thinking of you. X x x
Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm not surprised it's horrible, but at least you will know what you are dealing with good or not so good and lots of people on here to support you and give info if not so good.
Highlighted

Thank you Jill, I will post and let you know...my stomach is churning a bit already! xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Good luck Amanda.
Highlighted

Well I didn't get a call today so I will be going to my appointment at the clinic at 11 am tomorrow, all being well. I am extremely nervous about hearing the results of the biopsy, though! It's weird thinking that by the afternoon my life might have been turned on its head, or that I will be very happy; right now I just don't know but a few others at the hospital probably do! xx

Highlighted

I saw my GP last Tuesday and she had been emailed the results! I didn't get my letter from the hospital until today! I would call either your GP or breast clinic & see if they are in xxx
Highlighted

Yes, I'm keeping off Google for now, just here for now and maybe I'll look in on Cancer Research, especially if I get a diagnosis, or the help line here. Just hoping that I won't be getting a call on Moday to says my results were not back from the path lab as the team only meet to discuss results once a week! x

Highlighted

Thanks everyone! Thinking of you all xxx
Highlighted

Good advice Jill 

Faed cancer research uk is very informative along with breastcancer.org I stick to them two for any info I want.  x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Keep away from Google as much as poss,concentrate on you and what you know.every situation is very different .
Highlighted

Yes, I guess everyone is different about what they want to know. Problem is, if you are like us, you tend tend to fill in the gaps with an overactive imagination or Google, which is useful sometimes (after all, it brought us all here!) but you can be lead you to some pretty scary stuff, too! x
Highlighted

I'm the same as you re wanting all the info. The nurse actually said they left it off letter as a lot of people prefer not to know. We are all different but I have read so much I keep saying I should take a doctorate after this lot! Not that I understand half that I am reading. lol x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Fingers crossed you get good news but if you don't,lots of people going through ,it lots if support on here.
Highlighted

Thanks Jill, it's all a bit of a shock....I did feel a bit better after the appointment, at least I knew what they were looking at! I'll report back when I get my results and keep reading here as the support is so good! Amanda
Highlighted
Community Champion

Interesting spelling Lorna,my phone has sent out some quite bizarre posts without me realising!!Hi Amanda, horrible time waiting. 4 out 5 biopsies not cancer, so stats are on your side .If it is cancer,it's very small, caught early ,no sign of it in nodes , very good prognosis, very ,very good chance you will be here in 10 years time.Keep in touch, talk to ladies on here it will help keep you sane.Jill.
Highlighted

Haha, I can hardly use the phone keypad, I'm on a full size iPad, and have to keep a firm eye on autocorrect! Glad your hospital staff were so good, it's amazing that there is such a difference in the information given, hopefully they will take on board you suggestions. I am on the side of wanting as much info as possible, this probably doesn't help with the waiting not knowing stress, thought!

bet you can hardly wait for mid August, and your next 'new normal'! 

Amanda

Highlighted

Excuse spelling, misprints etc..predicted text and the keypad on my phone! X
Highlighted

Amanda the hospital and staff were fab...Just the initial letter it had no mention of the possible biopsy. The nurse said she would take my commitment to the team as it Was a valid point. There are some areas in the country that seem to get same day results? We all agree the waiting is horrid. Of course morbidity creeps in but it's good to Remer 80% come back negative. We are the special chosen few...because we're tough! Lol x
Highlighted

Oh yes, great news Suzie, hearing of other ladies getting good news is reassuring, as you know everyone who goes to the call back isn't diagnosed with anything serious. On the other hand, it's also so helpful to hear from the ladies who are in the various moments of their treatments. 

Lorna, you had a horrible time on your call back, that must have left you reeling! I had a three part letter, the first was to me, telling me about the appointment date, there was a map of the hospital showing where the breast clinic was and another generic one, outlining what would happen at the clinic, more mammograms, and ultrasound and discussion with the doctor who would tell you what they were seeing and then if necessary a core biopsy and it also said you wouldn't get the results of the biopsy for a week. Given that information and then what I could find on the forum here, I had no big surprises. Maybe I am lucky with my hospital, but their care and kindness made a bad day much more manageable. If only they could get the biopsy results quicker, I am worried that I won't get them next week due to staff holidays!

Amanda

Highlighted

brilliant news suzies! so happy for you x
Sheena xx
Highlighted

Oh Suzie brilliant news! i am delighted for you xxx 

now go celebrate big time!! xxx

Lorna x

Highlighted

Faed it's virtually impossible to stay positive whilst waiting for results, it's such a shock isn't it. I have to say I thought the worst part of this whole thing was the call back. I only expected another mamogramme as I had been called back before. like you, after more mams and ultrsound they told me they would do a core biopsy.. didn't even know what it was! I was in complete shock when they cut me there and then. left a marker in, took a sample etc.. horrified as were the other 3 woman I was with. I told the nurse that they should give us a bit of a hint on the standard call back letter that this can happen on occasion, I would have least been a little prepared! 

Beyond that I had to wait 2 weeks for results and it was positive but very very small (6mm) and they could see no lymph node involement but this wasn't confirmed until after the op. 

I hope you get the all clear but if it's positive try not to panic, they can do so much these days.

I am 9 days away from my last radiation treatment and then life will ressume hopefully! 

sending love and keep us posted 

Lorna x

Highlighted

It's a really difficult time, my eldest is quite the worrier, so I'll wait until I know more! Glad everything seems to be good for you, hopefully you won't need anything more done x
Highlighted

Thank you Sheena, I will definitely let you know anything as soon as I get news! x
Highlighted

Hi everyone! The results are benign! They are both Fibroadenomas, the hospital have said just to keep checking for any changes and if so they will ultrasound again. I'm so relieved as I was sure the left breast was sinister due to the shadow & calcifications and the fact my lump doesn't move? I have found this forum to be amazing in supporting me in this worrying time. It just goes to show not all Fibroadenomas are textbook that move xxx
Highlighted

Aw I'm sure it wouldn't put a damper on it but I can understand that you don't want to worry them. I'm ok with waiting now as I've already had my ultrasound which revealed nothing worrying, my big lump is muscle so my next appointment is to discuss if it is a problem. The worrying before my ultrasound was awful, I couldn't think about anything else. I was lucky enough to get a good result, I hope you do too X
Highlighted

Hi Amanda
hopefully it will be good news for you x fingers crossed and best wishes, do let us know how you get on
sheena x
Highlighted

You are very welcome Amanda, I am very pleased that you have found the forums so supportive and that's great to know 

take care

Lucy

Highlighted

Thank you  Lucy, I am so glad I found this great website and forum, it has truly been a wonderful site to have found! I was working myself into such a state and then getting more upset about being worked up, too! Reading the comments from all the lovely ladies is so helpful, just to know other people were feeling the same seemed to take the pressure off. I also learnt quite a lot of what to expect during the first appointment which helped tremendously as well. 

I might well be on to your help line once I have got some results, it is so good to know you're there, it's like having a safety net! 

Thank you again,

Amanda

Highlighted

Thank you so much Ann and Macdon for your encouraging words, I do feel silly about being so pessimistic, especially at this stage! I will definitely let you know how I get on, hopefully it will be the 11th but I will report back, whenever and whatever they say. It's a whole new felling of uncertainty that I have not really experienced before, I'm usually the one organising and doing things and now my husband and my youngest two of my four daughters who live with us (they're 23 & 20) are rallying round and propping me up! I haven't told my eldest two yet as they are having a surprise get together for one of their birthdays next weekend and I don't want to put a damper on it...anyway, there is nothing much I can tell them yet! How are you finding the waiting Macdon? Have you any idea what they are intending to do at your next appointment? Amanda x

Highlighted

Hi A.Faed and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure the support has helped

Please also feel free to call our helpliners if you wish to talk things through, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000 and they offer a very good listening ear

Take care

Lucy BCC

Highlighted

I agree with everything Ann said, and hope you come back and let us know it's nothing to worry about A.Faed.
SusieS when do you get your results? Been thinking of you!
I've got my next appointment at breast clinic on 3rd September x
Highlighted

Hi A.Faed,

The waiting is tortuous, so please don't be hard on yourself. Hopefully, the results will reveal nothing more than a fibroadenoma or a lipoma. I can remember thinking I wasn't going to make it to the end of the week and was as miserable as sin!! It's perfectly normal to feel this way. Come back and tell us how you get on and I truly hope I can be first to say how happy I am that you've been told it's nothing to worry about. Take care and be kind to yourself. Ann x x x