Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appointment at One Stop Clinic

32 REPLIES 32
Archie34

Re: Appointment at One Stop Clinic

Thanks Helena, 

I will heed your advice and not Google anything.

my GP was very professional and followed NICE guidelines, but he wasn't very helpful in terms of what to expect at the clinic, or reassuring (but I guess he has to remain objective). 

I will consider taking someone with me for my appointment. Thanks for the advice and reassurance. 

Archie34

Hello, 

i found a sudden painful lump in the lower part of my left breast in November. It was very tender and appeared almost overnight. I first noticed it when I bought a new bra, which was a little ill fitting and the underwire dug into my skin. My lump feels firm and soft? In terms of whether it is moveable. It feels like it slips under my fingers when I press on it. 

I thought it may be hormonal, but it has not gone so I went to see my gp last week, he couldn't feel any other

lumps, he referred me to a breast clinic and I have an appointment on Feb 2nd. 

I am am trying to remain positive, and not fear the worst. 

Does anyone know if I will get the results on the day? 

Charys
Community Champion

Good news! its as they say, 80 percent of breast lumps are benign, and you are in that happy 80 percent Cat Happy. Stay breast aware and wishing you all the best. 

East side

Fantastic news. Time to take a deep breath now. You take care

S
Ashleymil

Hi
I feel very lucky that it was just cysts, which have been drained. It has been a very emotional time for me and I would like to thank everyone for their kind comments and help, and I wish you all the very best x
Charys
Community Champion

Ashleymil.......I won't  say much as will repeat similar to Jobey lol Come back and share, good, bad or indifferent......x

East side

Hi A

i got the right Tues this time! Thinking of you today - you will be met by some great professionals and believe me - something takes over and you really do just felt some inner strength.

s

Jobey68

Hi Ashley, you've made it this far and will get through today too! I was on auto pilot on clinic day , felt very bitter towards my hubby for "making "me go and ranted at him all the way there, bless his heart he just let me carry on but once we go there I switched off and got on with it , You will know what's going on today, it may not be the answer you want but nothing is worse than the agony of the past few weeks of waiting and torturing yourself , will be thinking of you and please come back and let us know how you get on , pull up those big girl pants nice and high..you can do this! Xx Jo 

Ashleymil

It has finally come , my one stop clinic, I have lost almost a stone ( I only weighed 7 and a half to start with).
Am taking pills to keep calm and hopefully won't be sick when I am there
Jobey68

Charys I've worked in an office for 14 years typing everyday and I still don't understand what the hell I'm doing!! 🤔😉

ann-m
Community Champion

Well done, Ashley. Google is a wonderful thing, but the worst possible doctor for self diagnosis!

take care & let us know what happens

ann x

Charys
Community Champion

Well you two, it wasn't a cat or mouse that caused italics.....it was the leaning letter just above where Jobey is typing. Press it once it goes italic, press it again and it goes off italic. Mind, I guess the cat could have pressed the 'I' .......ha you two lol! Helena, you do realise that your mouse buttons work from YOU pressing them and not of its own volition. Right ? Lol sorry, back to the thread...

glad and you've got something from the doctor, and have made use of the helpline. You are right, your stress levels will change nothing, and just make you feel ill. Keep talking to us, we will try and calm things if we can for you. That is.....if Helena and Jobey can remember how to type ?

Ashleymil

Hi Jobey
Thanks for your words of advice. I have got some sleeping pills. I also phoned the helpline and I feel much calmer now, I cannot alter what will be, and worrying will change nothing.
I have also not googled for the last two hours my symptoms x
Jobey68

I'm on my iPad with a cat climbing all over me so I blame him for doing it!! 😺

Jobey68

Charys I think in my case just another bit of my sanity slipped away never to return! 😜

Ashley I hope you were able to get to your Gp for some help, the fact that we are here now able to look back and crack a joke about such a horrible time will hopefully reassure that this does get better and if you are diagnosed you will cope! Xx I have no idea why my font had changed!? 

Charys
Community Champion

I too was prescribed lorazepam, I used a small amount to help me sleep (mine was after diagnosis but wish I'd asked for some sooner as I was not eating, sleeping being sick etc). I agree with Jobey, see your gp and ask for something to help.....there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't have a bit of help at this very challenging time. I too remember those horrendous days with anxiety and fear so high constantly that you felt you were losing your mind, you WON'T. ...just as we didn't ! (Or did we ? Lolol)
Jobey68

Hi, yes speak to your Gp as they will give you something to help, mine put me on a low dose of diazepam and an antidepressant, it's an awful time and you need something to help you get through it, I so feel for you as I can recall those dark days all too well but Next week you will either walk away with the all clear or at least have an idea of what is going on, a diagnosis is not a death sentence I can assure you, I'm almost 2 years on and fighting fit! Keep putting one foot in front of the other love, you are stronger than you think Xx 

Ashleymil

Would anyone be able to tell me if the doctors will prescribe me sleeping pills to get me through until next Tuesday. I am unable to eat or sleep and thought I would be sick this morning.
Ashleymil

Thank you Charys for your sensible words, I am emotional just reading them. Everything you say makes perfect sense. I just feel like I am in a very dark place. My husband just says you will be alright and I have only told one friend. I haven't told my mum as she is elderly and I feel it would be unfair to worry her. I can do that for the both of us. Once again thank you for taking the time to reply
cjrd

The waiting is so very difficult - hoping that all will be fine for you. As Charys has said, try to distract yourself - easier said than done. Sleep Tight!

Charys
Community Champion

Do you know Ashleymil, I did the same myself ( I didn't know this forum existed then). I spent many many hours looking up every possible likely outcome, even very complex medical articles, based on what I could feel in my breast. I wish somebody had told me not to waste my time and energy, that it simply makes you feel worse and at the end achieves nothing.....as only the clinic visit and proper assessement will do that. Ann says the same, she knows how many people we've said this to 😉

You are in a vacuum now, emotionally and psychologically, with no answers to what the problem might be, as you've not had your clinic visit. A fairly natural human response is to try and find answers, to try to end the misery of the 'not knowing' (the vacuum)....it is such an anxious, frightening time for you waiting I know that....but trust me it will make the roller coaster worse until your appointment in a weeks time. You've already found a yourself that you  are veering between a benign cause to horrible and frightening cancer tales. I posted about you avoiding the internet before you even said you were using it to look things up, that's because it is a fairly standard response. I sometimes regret the Internet, not often of course as a massive internet shopper lol, but at times like this when everything is out there to read and search for. In the past we would have not had access to stories to scare us, and information that doesn't really help us. It's a mixed blessing of course, as it means we can educate ourselves too.....but ONLY when we have had a real life person check our personal and individual set of symptoms and do any tests that are necessary to diagnose. 

The best you can do now is to try and distract yourself, do as many normal life things as you can and remember that life will continue....I assure you of that....after your appointment no matter what the clinic say they think the cause of your symptom is. Everyone here is testament to that! 

X

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Ashley,
As Charys says, do step away from google, it only feeds the anxiety monster, then the mind goes into overdrive imagining the worst.
Despite that unhelpful remark from your dr, bc is the least likely outcome.
ann x
Ashleymil

Thanks for your comments, I am so stressed it is actually next Tuesday. I am trying to stop googling symptoms, but it is not easy. I veer from being positive to what stage I have !
East side

Hi AM

You're appt tomorrow - sending positive thoughts. Keep busy today - I always made a point of not getting to the clinic mega early for my appts - something I had control over! Take care

S
Charys
Community Champion

Ahhhh yes, sadly, that is a fairly normal response to the wait...both going nuts ( finding it hard to concentrate on anything else and having it at the forefront of your thoughts all the time, not being able to eat or sleep etc) with waiting and poking and prodding....to see if any change. I did plenty of that myself, I can assure you ! Nothing will change in two weeks, irrespective of what it is....benign or not.....so try not to spend too much time looking and checking...you also won't fund an answer on the Internet 😉. It is common also for people to imagine other pains and symptoms, it is 'just' part of the anxiety of the situation. Even if this was a form of breast cancer, and that certainly is an IF, then the chances of an early stage bc having spread is soooooo unlikely... ...your lymph nodes are there to halt the progress and filter those cells. There have been so many people who have come on here and thought they had signs of cancer spreading , they have been checked and many of them had benign breast conditions. The mind is so powerful , it can trick us at times of high stress and anxiety. X
Ashleymil

Thank you for your kind comments Charys, the waiting is driving me mad, can't stop prodding and poking the lump
Charys
Community Champion

Seriously, your doctor said it was 'terrible news'? Honestly, if that's his/her exact wording, then he/ she ought to go on a bedside manner course!  What a totally daft thing to say with no expert check done, or ultrasound etc. Fortunately for us on here who do have or have had breast cancer in the past, even that is no longer the 'terrible news' it once was. I know this is frightening for you, but honestly, the timescale of the appointment isn't indicative of anything.....as others have said....you have to be seen within two weeks if a distinct lump is found, according to NICE guidelines. Stay around and chat with us, whenever you need whilst waiting. X

Ashleymil

Thanks again for your wise words Helena, I am trying really hard to think positively
Ashleymil

I have my appointment for next Tuesday. I am worried about how quick it has come through
Ashleymil

Thank you for your kind comments East side
East side

Hi Ashleymil

Ladybowler has wise words... insensitive language by a doctor who really doesn't know what is going on at this time just feeds the anxiety monster. My experience of the The one stop shop is a fabulous team of highly trained professionals. They will do all the relevant tests - and will look after you the whole way. The majority of ladies at the one stop shop do not get a diagnosis of cancer. Your appointment should be really quick - but be prepared that there may be some waiting for test results after that. We are all 'experts' of the waiting game ... the reassurance is that the professionals will do the right tests to know exactly what is going on - you are in good company on this forum.
Ashleymil

Thanks for your reply, I will get an appointment within two weeks. It didn't help that the doctor said it was terrible news, she was not reassuring at all
Ashleymil

Appointment at One Stop Clinic

Hi
I have found a lump and am being referred to the one stop clinic. Thought it was due to falling on my breast a couple it weeks ago. Doctor said she didn't think so. Am scared think every pain is where the cancer has spread.
Worried but have only told my husband as don't want to worry others
I have two young children