Appointment today - can anyone tell me what to expect?

So I went to my GP last Thursday with some thickened tissue in my right breast. He referred me to the breast clinic and they called me on Friday with an appointment for today (amazing NHS).

Appointment day has arrived and I am so scared. I know the stats are good for it not being anything. I am 32 with no family history but I just don’t know what to expect.

Could anyone tell me what normally happens in an appointment? How long does it take? (my apt is at 3.15pm but I pick my little girl up before 6!). What kind of tests will they do?

I think because of how quick the appointment came through, I’ve not been sent any information about what to expect.

Please help!

hi natestar,
You will see the dr who will take a history & do a breast examination, you may then have a mammogram & possibly an ultrasound, if it still is not clear what it is, then you may have a needle biopsy. If you do have a biopsy, there is a further 1-2 week wait for the results, but, hopefully it should not come to that. They will look after you, it will be fine.
ann s

yes, it might be cleared up by mammo/US & they may be to give you an answer today. It’s difficult to say on timings, but it maybe an idea to make arrangements for your little girl just in case it takes a bit longer, but most likely it wont.
ann x

Thank you ladies for giving me some more information and an idea of what to expect.

I am surprisingly calm right now but with intermittent moments of pure terror of what could be. 

I will most definately come back later with an update to let you know how I got on.

Thank you again xx

Hi, just wanted to update.

Went for my appointment, had a quick exam and then an ultrasound. Given the all clear and free to go :slight_smile:

Apparently just an area of thickened normal breast tissue, over a rib which made it more pronounced.

Very relieved to say the least. The clinic ladies were lovely and this forum helped me remain sane even for the very short time i was waiting for my appointment - just reading advice on other threads has been helpful and reassuring.

Although im glad i will no longer need to visit this site so much, its wonderful to know that places like this exist for people if needed.

Thank you