67.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apri 2016 chemo starting? Please join!

Ceri65

Re: Apri 2016 chemo starting? Please join!

Hi all, liking the idea that there is somewhere like this site that you can get all sorts of different views & pointers.

Yesterday was a bit difficult but I know there's going to be harder days, felt ' hungover' all day & it's not as though I had committed the offence of being drunk. 😊

Helly 18, can't even remember what tablets the unit gave me, taken all but got metoclopramide left. Nothing ever sinks in when docs etc are talking to me, my poor boyfriend has to listen for me. Sorry to hear about the hair loss😢. Think I will be getting mine cut in preparation as I think I've come to the realisation that it will thin out.

Hope the weekend is good for you all. X

LMB212

Ha got Loolyboo I take 2 per day. One morning one afternoon mine are 2mg Dexamethasone. I have Ondansetron for anti sickness and some back up that I haven't needed Metoclopramide. Plus the injection. Feel like a waking pharmacy prior to the BC bombshell I would have only taken paracetamol or ibuprofen. X
helly18

Gillian lovely to see positive  stories thank you for popping by, although you know there is light at the end of the tunnel sometimes its hard to see x

Ceri, the emend made such a difference this treatment cycle compared to the first so do raise it with your team I am having to add  in domperidone as the emend finished  yesterday, but still getter than first time round.

I feel totally  knackered today  the least thing is making me sit down and today is the first time my hair has really upset me as there are now visible bald patches in the short crop 😟.

Sarah what dose steroids  are you on?

Cyber hugs to all xxx

Loolyboo

Hi, no they didn't increase my dosage - still only for 3 days starting day after chemo but mine have been reduced for next session to 3 tablets on day1, 2 tablets day2 & 1 tablets day3 x
LMB212

I only had to take the steroids for day 1 to 3. So haven't taken any today. Just anti sickness which I take to day 5 and my injection from day 3 to 10. I am a little headachy and a bit tired but otherwise ok. Do they increase the dosage after the first treatment ?
Loolyboo

Hi Sarah, that's exactly how I felt for 2days after I finished my steroids - it was awful, jumpy, anxious, tearful, no concentration .. I told my oncologist and he was v concerned because we shouldn't feel that way - he has reduced them down from 4 a day for 3days to 3 then 2 then 1 for my next chemo on Tues (3rd FEC) so hopefully this will work.
I think if you speak to your oncologist, they will do something v similar for your next chemo 💕
sunshine1

All this talk of shaving heads is making me feel like doing mine.

The waiting around isn't fun x
diddy23

I love the Mohican idea! I had a short crop a few weeks ago in readiness for the chemo and now I think I will go for the clippers. I agree about the control part and making the choice, rather than waiting for it to fall out.
Misty

Thanks, Gillian. Like the others say, it really is good to hear from those on the other side.

Re shaving, there is a part of me wanting to shave it all off right now even though my chemo is only starting next week due to various delays. I think it's about control. If I shave it off now, it's because I've chosen to be bald rather than am made bald by the chemo. Or maybe I'm just trying to express my distress like Brittney Spears did when she shaved her head? Or maybe I'm just an attention seeker? I have been picturing an interim Mohican (I am a suburban mummy so could not pull off as being a trendy hipster look - would simply be considered mad!!)
diddy23

Its good to hear from someone who has made it through to the end of thier treatment, Gillian. Thanks for the encouragement. I've got my second treatment on Thursday and am not looking forward to it. My hair has also started to come out - to shave or not to shave, that is the question!!

Bex1980

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gillian. It's always good to know that people have made it through to the other end, especially when you're feeling a bit low.
Hope you feel better over the next few days Sarah. I know you're on your 2nd round but I certainly couldn't concentrate on anything other than a bit of TV for a good 10 days after my 1st!
Just woken up and the shedding of hair has properly started now.. there's loads on my pillow! Good job I brought my wig with me on my weekend away! xxx
sunshine1

I'm feeling incredibly washed out too. I think I'm OK..get up to do something..then feel like I'm pooped and need to lay down again. So annoying.

Glad to hear from someone who's made it to the end Gillian. Feels like that day may never come at the moment. Time is going so slow x
Gfnich

Hi ladies 

I am from December thread and was just reading through all of your posts.  I had my first chemo on 1st December and have now finished my chemo and radiotherapy too which feels great.  I had 6 FEC T and 15 sessions of rad following a lumpectomy.  Now on Tamoxifen.  It is a long bumpy road but you will all get through it.  Make sure you ask for help from your unit with side effects and never Rory about asking them too many questions that's why they are there.

keep strong ladies and ask if you have any questions I can answer

Gillian x

Misty

Hi Sarah. Sorry to hear you are feeling jumpy on the steroids. How long do you need to take them for? I'm starting to think ahead about what I will be taking when I start next week. Do they give the steroids before the chemo day? What else do they give? Take care of yourself x
Sarahkears73

Feeling rather washed out here at the moment and the steroids make me feel jumpy and like I can't concentrate. Hopefully next couple of days will improve. Have a good day all xx
Bex1980

Hi Ceri, glad to hear you've got your first one out of the way! I felt sick for about a week after. Hope they gave you the Emend tablets as part of your anti-sickness ones as they do help but they only tend to give them to you for the first 2 days. I found Dulcoease helped with the constipation!
Leo, I started shedding noticeably (as in constantly picking strands off my clothes) today and I'm on day 16. I'm spending the weekend in Swanage and am trying to avoid the strong wind but it's rather difficult being by the sea! I'm also in C3 at Soton for chemo on Thursday at 10am.. Think I'm in chair 1 so I might see you there! Hope you have a good weekend xx
Leo

Hi all.....

Hope all the round 2 first round group are starting to feel a bit better now........

Just wondering how everyone is doing on the hair front at the moment? I didn't cold cap and don't seem to have started shedding yet, just thinning out....... getting a bit worried with all this windy weather though!

Round 2 round 2 I will be thinking of you all, hope you have good bank holiday weekends planned? We are going to a summer festival and a YMCA family fun day, I must be mad!

Bex... I am at soton...... am session inC3.... how about you?x

Ceri65

Hi all, started fec treatment on Wednesday, used cold cap not sure about next time.

I haven't had any major discomfort but even after all the anti sickness tablets that are taken, my tummy feels quesy, can't seem to eat although I want too. The constipation, not good!  😊 X

Sarahkears73

Yes mine was paxman I wash it twice can't manage once! Xx
Bex1980

I also have my 2nd round next Thursday. Leo, are you having your treatment at Southampton General by any chance? I agree with you Misty about the aches and pains. I've had a pain in my left arm for about a month and am convinced that it's linked! Just annoyed really when they did the CT scan that they don't bother to do the whole of your body which I just think is really odd if they're going to go to the effort of getting you in the CT scanner! x
LMB212

Sarah I have washed mine tonight. Read the Paxman book and said to wash it up twice a week. I will probably get away with one. Was yours a Paxman cooler?. So far so good for me today. Did have a Nana Nap for about 30 mins. X
helly18

Oh misty don't get me started on  blood clots  lol. Since the picc went in every twinge  in the arm has had me in a panic!  I had a painful spot on my forearm last time and was convinced I was done for, have come to the conclusion  the it was were my arm was resting on the bed rail for hour not half when they were Tring yo get it in as it ok this morning 😛.

Sarahkears73

Misty I've got the rib pain too and have to regularly convince myself it's not cancer. Lou I'm pretty mad professorish myself!! Can't wash til Saturday God knows what the tesco delivery man will think tomorrow!! Xx
Misty

Yes, totally relate to paranoia about bodily symptoms and I haven't even started chemo. Favoured fears are blood clots in legs when I get pain in legs. Rib pain is a 'wan, that's cancer' fear. Headache likewise especially as CT scan was only abdomen rather than whole body. What else? Can't think right now. Those are my 'favourites'. Really need to have a less active imagination to get through chemo...
LMB212

Morning all after 2 bouts of throwing up last night and nausea and headachy I have woke up this morning feeling normal. Managed to sleep for around 6 hours on and off. Took steroids and anti-sickness tablets this morning . Took youngest to school enjoyed the fresh air. I am now doing some work from home and trying to drink plenty of water. Long may it continue but anticipate I will go down hill at some point. Sarah I looked like the mad professor when I woke up. Was told to rinse the conditioner out of hair last night which I did. I combed it through with my fingers and left it. It was very curly this morning and sticking out so I put a hat on when I walked Kate to school. Right back to work for me. Hope evertone has a good day. Lou x
diddy23

Hello all. I hope all who've had chemo this week are feeling OKish. I also totally get the feelings of paranoia and inability to make decisions. I had a near miss with my temperature last week and ever since then I've been desperate to avoid sneezes and coughs. It certainly does change your life and thinking around, doeasn't it?

Leo, I'm having my second chemo next Thursday too - so you, me and Zoe can compare fog and hangover feelings.

Sending everyone happy thoughts and wishes xx

Zoe2016

Totally on board with panic station mode, the slightest thing and I feel I have to run it by the hotline. Paranoid everytime I hear someone cough or sneeze, feel like I should be wearing a hazard suit in the first ten days post chemo.

Leo I'm round two next Friday so we can be in hangover hell together.

Glad your anti sickness is working better this time round Helen.

Hope everyone else is feeling better too x

Sarahkears73

Helly I completely agree about the panic over simple decisions, I seem to be debating over everything. Glad you ok hope everyone else is too. I'm feeling ok a bit foggy and tired but not horrendous xx
helly18

Morning everyone, kids collected for school so back jn bed with a ginger tea😊 can't believe what a difference the emend has made to the nausea.  Last time it was unmerciful but part from the odd episode just feel tired and foggy and did sleep fairlywell. I did have an odd episode before hubby  came to bed as woke up shivering and couldn't get warm and t 35.4. We use summer quilt all year (i have fleecy blanky on my side) so after quick panic put on sleep hat  as thought head may be cold and added another blanky, it was back to normal in about 1/2 hrs so decided not to ring triage line. This disease really annoys me as I seem to be robbed of descion making abilities,  worry about the slightest ache/pain it's not me, it used to be unless your heads hanging off you will be fine in this house!

Leo, the time does go quickly doesn't it, Thursday will bc hear before journey know it.

Sarah, Lou, Sunshine (and anyone i have missed!)hope you are feeling fairly reasonable today xxx

Leo

Hi all

Haven't been on the forum for a while as I have been at work all week... it has flown by!

Well done to everyone who is on round 2...... hope you do all mange to get some sleep,steroid buzzing is no fun... I did it a lot last time round.....

Hope everyone starts to feel a little better and less fuzzy too......

I am due round two next Thursday, but out of sync with everyone... you'll all be feeling better by then, the power of positive thinking!

Big cyber hugs to those in need......... xxxx

Sarahkears73

Hi everyone I managed cold cap again well done sunshine and Lou for getting round 1 over, helly that's 2 for us we are a third of the way through. I just feel tired and a bit fuzzy my daughter at a friends she will be home soon it's pjs and sofa for me for now. Hope everyone sleeps, we will be creating our own 4 o clock club when we can't sleep thanks to steroids! Xx
helly18

Lou even! the predictive text is driving me potty
helly18

Well done lounge you are braver than me.
Sunshine,I am feeling a bit rubbish now so will be heading off to bed,with my bag of precious things ie meds for morning so I can take well before getting out of bed. Kids were off last cycle so time was a luxury now they need to be ready for collection tmorrow x
sunshine1

Glad yours went OK today Lou. I didn't cold cap..good job as it was delayed quite a while as my drugs were still in transit to the hosp!

The feeling of not having any power over my hair falling out now is a bit rubbish. Hey ho.

I feel really quite disgusting now. Been fine all day..but starting to have waves of sickness and feel a bit woozy. Makes me feel better that being sick made you feel better! Hopefully if I barf I will feel better lol.

I'm shattered..trying to hold out till a bit later in the hope I will actually sleep..fingers crossed!!

Hope all is well overnight xxx
LMB212

First FEC today and cold capped. The cold cap was not pleasant akin I imagine to have my head in a vice. I was aware of a cold feeling just heavy pressure that continued the whole time. I did it though so hope it was worth it. It was very tight I was a size medium. I have thrown up once but feel so much better for it. I have a slight headache and feel tired but can't sleep. Sunshine how did yours go. Sarah what was round 2 like. Lou x
helly18

Haven't a clue what the lemon is all about!
helly18

Woo hoo oncologist has prescribed emend so hopefully won't take feel as bluh as last time. On the positive no problem lemon getting eyebrows repigmentation just need to get another patch test done first,yey x
Zoe2016

Good luck today, it's doable, drink loads X x
Sarahkears73

Thanks, sorry to hear that wasn't great helly. No pic line been suggested to me yet they got the Canula in first time last time lets see how it goes today xx
helly18

Good luck to everyone  starting/having treatment tomorrow. After a bit of a rough ride having picc in today  (it took 4 goes! ), hoping all goes smoothl.

Sarah  thars good news, have to say that although mine was coming out in handfuls  when I had it cropped  I was amazed at how much was in the bag.

LMB212

That's great news Sarah. X
Sarahkears73

Hope all goes well for all chemo rounds tomorrow everyone! I'm on round two tomorrow, cold cap seems to be working I've lost a bit but very little compared to the amount of hair I have, I'm hoping it continues xx
LMB212

Good luck to you Sunshine. We can swap notes. I am having pre- assessment first so anticipating a long day especially as I am cold capping. Thanks Misty my hairdresser as been through breast cancer herself she didn't have chemo but she is very supportive and a good friend in addition to being a fabulous hairdresser. I will save some money next few months not having my colours done. Have already gone a lot shorter in anticipation of losing my hair. Xx
sunshine1

Good luck Lou!!

It's my first round tomorrow too!! Eek!! Xxx
Misty

Good luck for tomorrow Lou.

Great idea to take hairdresser with you for wigging!
LMB212

Thanks for the tip Helly. I am going to try the cold cap but will also get a wig. I am taking my hairdresser with me when I go shopping to make sure I get some advice re style and fit. Chemo 1 tomorrow for me. Lou x
helly18

If anyone is wig planning at the moment I can really recommend the bamboo wig liners rather than the netty/nylon ones much more comfy and you don't get as hot.  You can also wear them under scarves etc 

LMB212

Thanks Sarah and Misty. I don't do Facebook anymore it was starting to iritate me. I will updated with everyone on here though. 2 days at work to get through and then plan working from home when I am feeling up to it. Xx
Misty

Hi Lou - welcome to this thread.

I was just thinking that it might be worth mentioning to those who are not also on the Facebook group that you are welcome to join. It's a private secret group (ie will not appear on your profile). To join, please friend me (details in an earlier post) and let me know you are from here and I will add you to the group.

Hope all have had decent weekends. I think the waiting is getting to my head a bit, but also treating it as a hokiday before the 'storm'.

X
Sarahkears73

Hi Lou and I took a hot water bottle which helped and some fluffy bed socks!! Xx