1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2017 Radiotherapy

Corrina

Re: April 2017 Radiotherapy

Hi All ,Thanks for advice OldDawn 63.. I had a fall in the house yesterday morning and now have friction burns on both elbows and bruised knees on top of everything .also today all aches and pains at the top of my arms and neck area .dont know if that will be due to the fall or the Letrozole..looking forward to finishing my radiotherapy next Friday..Im fed up of it now and just want to start getting back to normality if thats possible..feeling wrecked xxx

OldDawn63

DJD - can't give a definitive answer on this I'm afraid because I had WLE, but hopefully there are ladies with similar types of boobs who will be able to advise.

One thing I can say is that radiotherapy can cause the treated area to become itchy and sore, so wearing anything likely to rub the skin and make it worse is probably best avoided. For example, they tend to advise us to go bra-less whenever possible while we're at home, to reduce irritation and let the air get to the treated area.

Before you start it is therefore best to discuss it with your BCN as Corinna says, or with the radiographers, and be guided by them as to which boob is best to use. Perhaps you could take both along with you to show them. I hope you manage to find an answer to your question, and good luck with your treatment next week.

OldDawn63

Jacquie48 - some slight pinkness is nothing to worry about as long as it isn't sore. Try the suggestions in my post below to see if it reduces the pinkness. It's a shame your break is only 3 days - most units are shut until Tuesday. At least it will be over sooner.

Jaynes1208 - know what you mean about denial, some days you just want to do something normal to take your mind off it. I also wander off onto other threads sometimes. I don't find texting in the car easy either, as it takes twice as long (particularly when you are travelling on roads with horrible speed bumps). I also gave the radiographers a thank you card and some mini chocolate Easter eggs on Thursday. They probably had quite a few from other patients, as I saw one of them coming out of the staff room with a very large Easter egg! I hope the Easter break takes your mind off it anyway, and gives your skin chance to recover. 

Katy - thanks for sharing your experience - that's encouraging to know. I finished on Thursday after 23 rads, and have felt a bit more tired the last week or so, but it isn't that bad. It hasn't stopped me exercising every day, nor did it stop me walking more than a mile to find my diverted bus stop, then round the shops afterwards on Wednesday afternoon. Apart from the travelling to and fro every day, it has been a lot easier to cope with than chemotherapy.

Snail888 - don't know about rads causing nausea (I wasn't affected myself), or about Tamoxifen (I am on Letrozole - I only started taking it Monday though so it's too early to say what lovely SEs I will get from that). I did make sure I was drinking enough throughout radiotherapy, so this may have made a difference. If it is the rads causing the nausea, you would expect it to ease off over the Easter break, but if it doesn't, it suggests it is something else. Sorry I can't help on this, but hope someone else can.

Corinna - for some reason I am not as badly affected by fatigue as I expected, at least not yet (I'm not still on the steroids, honest!). Keeping well hydrated and daily exercising throughout radiotherapy may have helped. I have been warned to take it easy over the next few weeks as fatigue could be a delayed effect, so we'll have to see...

OldDawn63

For those of you who have started radiotherapy and are concerned about your skin being pink over the Easter break, it may help to try the following:

• Wash the treated area with aqueous cream instead of soap if the skin is a bit sore;
  • Rinse the treated area with cold water after showering or washing to help cool it down;
  • Pat dry with a soft towel, slowly, very gently but thoroughly, paying particular attention to areas with folds of skin, such as armpit and area beneath boob;
  • When dry, apply a lot of moisturiser and rub it in well, paying particular attention to nipple and areas with folds of skin that could rub against each other, then repeat at least once;
  • Apply crystalline deodorant after moisturising;
  • Moisturise the treated area at least three times a day, including after washing and immediately after each treatment before you get changed back into your clothes - fill a small jar or a travel cosmetic pot with moisturiser and take it with you to the hospital (put it in a plastic bag in case of leakage);
  • When at home, wear loose baggy cotton tops without a bra for at least part of the day, also wear similar cotton nighties or pyjama tops in bed;
  • If you don't have any comfortable cotton bras, when going out, try wearing your most comfortable synthetic ones or a seamless crop top (available from Sainsbury's or Asda) over a cotton vest (I can't claim credit for this tip - it was suggested by Corinna!);
  • If you have an itchy or sore nipple, try placing a couple of cotton wool make up pads over it and holding them in place with bra or crop top.

These things definitely helped me. I did get a slightly sore, itchy nipple towards the end of the whole breast rads, but the cold water, moisturiser and going bra-less definitely helped relieve it.

I hope this is of help, but as everybody seems to react differently to radiotherapy, I can't guarantee these techniques will work for everyone. For example, if you are having boosters to certain areas such as the armpit (I didn't) the effects of the radiotherapy on those areas will be greater. Also, I am not large (34C) so if you are, going bra-less around the house may not work as well for you.

If your skin starts to get very sore despite everything you are doing to prevent it, ask your radiographers for help as soon as possible. There are special gel products they can give you (e.g. Intrasite, also called Hydrogel) to relieve the soreness.

Snail888

Corrinna me too. A simple walk round town had me all breathless. Have managed to get a couple of litres of water down me and do feel a little better. Thanks for the advice xx
Corrina

Hi All hoping everyone is ok. I went to do a little bit of grocery shopping this morning and this tired me out . been feeling really tired all day and my boob is still red and hot. Glad to have another 3 days without Rads xx

Corrina

hi DJD I would think the best person to ask about this would be your breast cancer nurse. hope yur Rads sessions go ok xx
DJD

Hi all - I start radiotherapy next week.  Feel reassured that it will be OK after reading the posts of those that are already 'treading this path'.  I have a question, and hope someone out there can help.  I wear an Amoena stick on boob.  It's brilliant.  Does anyone else have one and been able to continue to wear it throughout this treatment.  Obviously, I'll take it off during sessions, but am hoping to be able to put it back on afterwards.  Is this doable, or do I need to revert to the old foam dome?  If you advise abandoning it for the forseeable future, when can I expect to be able to wear it again.  Realise everyone reacts differently to the treatment, so interested what others have found.  

Jacquie48

I've heard they can, and that sometimes it can be because you need to drink more water as it dehydrates us. Hopefully there's others here that might know more. Wishing you better xx
Snail888

Do you think rads make you nauseous? I had 3 sessions this week and feel a bit off my food and sicky. Rads to right hand side. I'm a bit worried in case it's the tamoxifen affecting my liver.
Katy

Hi all

• I finished my radiotherapy about 10 days ago and so far no serious side effects.  I have very fair skin and have used Aloe Vera gel at least 3 times a day, sometimes 4 times, and am pink with a red nip and am experiencing tiredness sooner than I used to but otherwise ok.  For anyone concerned about this treatment I hope it reassures you and echoes other comments that the majority of people don't have serious side effects.
  • I would like to share with you also that Macmillan run some pamper sessions where store beauticians volunteer their time, and cosmetic industry donate products for a goody bag, I am booked on one at my hospital where I had my radiotherapy next month.  It might be worth looking into as it will lift your spirits.  I am also booked on a Macmillan walk in a local park with a coffee and a natter afterwards.  Also my physio told me about 8 free sessions at a local sports centre for light circuit training type activity to get moving.  I have been referred by her for that too.
  • There are lots of other support services and activities out there for anyone who could benefit especially if you are struggling.  This site is also a great source of relevant information and support.
Jaynes1208

Hi ladies, 

Sorry, I haven't looked in or posted for a while.  Denial I think.  When I'm not in the car on the way to rads, having rads, in the car on the way back from rads, replying to everybody asking how rads are going, I don't really want to think or talk about them much! I'm sure you all get it! 

However, the thought of four days off has cheered me up a bit and made me check in.  

I'm nine down and six to go! Bit pink and sore, specially under my arm and my nipple. Slapping on the cream! Bit of a dry cough and a bit nauseous the last couple of days.  They think I haven't drunk enough, so I'm trying to up my water intake. 

Fortunately, rads have gone better this week, with the same team doing them most of the time, so set up hasn't been so difficult.  That's meant I've been calmer and found the breath holding easier.

i took my A team some Easter eggs on Thursday and they seemed really surprised and touched. 

Anyway, I'm really glad for those who have finished or are coming to the end of rads, and hope you've not had too many side effects.  For those, like me, who have got a few to go, we can do this! We are warriors! Maybe weary ones, but we are Warriors nonetheless! Lol!

Have a lovely Easter weekend everybody.  Blessings! Xxxxx

Jacquie48

Hi ladies just to say I hope you all have a good weekend, and thanks for being here. I have my third session on Easter Monday. I'm already pink and hoping this isn't a bad sign. I have my R creams and am using religiously so fingers crossed.
OldDawn63

Happy Easter everyone, and sorry for not posting lately, and thank you all for your words of support, congratulations on finishing yesterday, and the bells Lady B! I would have been a lot harder to get through it without you.

As usual, things didn't go smoothly yesterday. My appointment was supposed to be at 11.50, but they telephoned at 9.00 to say the machine had broken down again, so could I make 3.30 in the afternoon, and could I phone an hour before to check everything was OK? I phoned just as we were about to set off, and thankfully the 3.30 appointment went ahead.

So no more rads, but I still have to follow the same skincare regime for the next 6 weeks. They said that as long as I do that, I shouldn't have any problems, although I should take it easy as the fatigue can get worse afterwards. It looks like I will be returning the gels and cream to the pharmacy unopened, so at least they won't be wasted.

FiT - It is more than OK to have a wobble in our situation, everyone does. It is also hard not to panic when you feel a lump, even though you know it probably isn't anything sinister. LadyB is right though, I think most of us have some scar tissue left over from the surgery which feels like a lump. I suggest that next time you see one of the consultants, get them to check it over, to put your mind at rest.

Kezzar - sorry I was not there to support you last night and glad that the others have been able to help. You are not alone - I felt much the same at the same stage. I nearly pulled out of radiotherapy at the last minute. I got myself into a state about side effects, skin reactions, whether I was having the best form of treatment, and whether I really needed the boosters. I was also frustrated about not being allowed to go back to work until after radiotherapy. I am glad I went ahead with it now though, because it hasn't been anything like as bad as I feared. So far skin effects have been minimal and fatigue isn't too severe either at the moment. I know what you mean about the tattoos though. The middle one looks just like a huge blackhead in the middle of my chest!

JoJo - yes it was my last one yesterday, and it will soon be your turn for the bells too. I think the Sainsbury's crop tops are definitely the most comfortable ones I have come across so far. I wear one over a cotton vest to go out instead of a bra - this was a brilliant idea of Corinna's. The only really comfortable, soft cotton bra I have found is a Sumpuously Soft cotton rich one from M&S, but I only managed to get one in my size, and they seem to have discontinued them so I can't get any more!

Corinna - hope the Easter break will give you chance to recover, as well as doing other 'normal' stuff.

Rooty - I think the tears and rants are part of the process of coming to terms with each new treatment. Once you start you find it isn't so bad. Follow the advice on moisturising and drinking, ask for help at the first sign of trouble, and you should be OK.

Jacquie and Snail - hope you have a good weekend. As you've only just started you should be fine as long as you keep slapping the R2D2 cream on.

Have a great Easter break everyone, and hope those of you still having  a treatment will come through it without any problems. I will try and drop in from time to time to see how you are getting on.

pippa149

Yes Corinna !! Only 4 more to go ! Well done Dawn on your last rads.Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend !!

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kezzar

So glad that you are feeling much better 🙂

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Corrina

Oh the simple things in life, who would ever have thought having a break from rads would have such an effect.  I had that over xmas and new year, and it is amazing the difference it makes to the way you feel.

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fiona

Yep, that will be the fear taking over.  I still have some scar tissue which I am told could be there for some time, but it doesnt stop your mind playing tricks with you, thats the thing about this forum, we can all relate to what you are feeling because we have/had those thoughts.  I remember a couple of months back, I had a pain in my side, hip, back and went into panic mode, then I realised I had a kidney infection, which is something I get as part of me, but when the irrational mind is working overtime you cant think rationally!!

I had my 4 month review in March with my oncologist and he actually told me I was cancer free and effectively was the day that they removed the lump, the rads are the belts and braces.

It is absolutely ok to have a wobble and we will always be here to help you through those times.

Helena xxx

Kezzar

Hi everyone

thanks for picking me up last night. I felt really low,  but better today. I think the meds might have something to do with it, as the mood swings have only been happening for about 10 days and I'm two weeks in on Anastrozole. 

There is no way that I won't go through with my rads. Even if I cry all through it! I would have been happy to have chemo too, if it helps. But I've been told it's not necessary. 

Night everyone. 

Kerri x

Corrina

Yipee a four day break from rads!!! xxx

FiT

Hello Ladies
Just want to say a big thank you to you all. These posts are a huge help to me and it is comforting to hear you are all going through similar emotions & experiences. I am nearly half way through my rads with 11 more sessions to go. Wierdly it hasn't phased me at all and other than being tired I have no other issues. What I am struggling with is my mind! I still have quite a large hard lump which I gather is scar tissue. I am petrified there is cancer left behind and every twinge I feel in my back or anywhere in my body, I start worrying. I have always been fairly robust but need to work on my head & paranoia. I guess this will just be part of the course.
Wishing you all well in your treatment. Keep smiling & it's ok to have a wobble. I'm sure we all do.
Fiona xx
RunningMum13

Hope you don't mind me popping in ladies to wish you all the best with your treatment. Hang on in there it'll soon be done and dusted and LadyB will be ringing those bells for you.

Don't forget to moisturize, drink lots of water and rest when you need to. Be kind to yourself, we've been through a lot, but will come back stronger and even more fabulous than before!

Love to all.xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kezzar

Your experience at the dentist was similar to one I had at one of my rad apts, it was running late and I was getting frustrated, when the rad nurse asked me how I was I just burst into tears, I burst out with I hate that this is controlling my life every day and on top of that they were running late.  They just sat me down gave me a hug and then I was able to carry on.  None of us are ourselves through this but the one thing we all have is each other and that is for sure.

Just keep reading ann-m's post about how effective rads are and that is what they are giving you, every possible chance.

Sending you a huggle

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

OldDawn

Not sure what time your last rad, YES last rad 🙂 🙂 is today but I am out later this afternoon for the evening so I am ringing them there bells for you now.  Hope you are going to be celebrating this evening

Helena xxxxxbell.jpg

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Kerri,
Just to add to what everyone else has said, I was told rads reduces the recurrance rate by about 60%, so well worth doing & a 'no brainer' as far as I was concerned.
ann x
Kezzar

Hi Everyone. 

Thank you for your kind words. I feel quite silly as being teary is so out of character. The slightest thing sets me off. I was at the dentist yesterday. She was running late, so I told them it wasn't acceptable (particularly as I heard her chatting), then left. So not me! 

Rooty, JoJo. I think you're right. I was perfectly well, no lump or anything. Then within a month I have had more tests than ever, an operation (and the dreaded cording), now this. The oncologist told me I was very calm. I think I was until I got to The Christie. I will go through with it, albeit unwillingly, but I know I have to give myself every possible chance of survival. 

Ladybowler, thank you for your kind words and advice. Today is another day. 

Kerri x

JoJo45

Morning Ladies, 

Hope everyone is doing ok.  

Dawn is it the last one today?  

I popped into Sainsbury's on the way home yesterday and managed to buy some seamless bra tops (croptops) they had 25% off too so only cost £4.50 each.  Lovely n soft for after treatment and fit my slightly larger boobies (allbeit diffent sizes).  All other tops I've tried flatten me 😆.  Just in case you were looking around for anything.  

Xxx

JoJo45

Hi Kezzar,  

Don't worry about feeling teary, that's all part of this process.  Oddly I felt fine when i stated my chemotherapy, but like you the rads for some reason made me upset, I broke down and cried in the initial consultation with the Radiology Consultant.  I think that realisation hit me about what I had had, and how severe the cancer was.  I also had a cry during my second cycle of the radiotherapy, which just ran down my cheek as wasn't able to move during the treatment.  I blamed my watering eyes 😳.  

This is actually a lot easier compared to the operation.  I've now had 12 sessions and apart from a slight pinkness and a odd sensation in my scars, I'm not doing to bad.  I moisturise regularly and drink plenty.  

Listen to your body and rest when you need to.  

We are all her to support you through this.  

Xx Jo 

Rooty

HI Kezzar

I had my tattoos done yesterday, and I start my radiotherapy in two weeks time. The radiographer told me that the tattoos would not last forever I think? Mine are tiny though, and I am sure if you did want them removing you could. 

At every stage of this - surgery, starting hormone therapy and radiotherapy I have had days where I have been really out of sorts and tearful and wanted to back out of treatment. It is a very odd thing to have to present ourselves voluntarily for treatment that will hurt, scar us, change our appearance forever. I'm convinced it's an instinctive reaction, like our bodies and minds rebelling to what feels so unnatural. The cancer never hurt me or caused me pain but the treatment does! I am learning to just let myself have the horrible teary, out of sorts days and just try to be kind to myself. Within a day or two I have found myself able to tolerate keeping going, and reminded myself that I'm one step closer to ending treatment and starting to recover. 

Good luck with it all. X

ladybowler
Community Champion

ladies

Just a thought have you all applied for your nhs prescription exemption certificates.  If you are having hormone tablets, ie tamoxifen etc.,as part of your treatment plan you will be exempt from paying whilst you are undergoing this, and it covers you for ANY prescription that your GP gives you,

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Snail888

I understand that you can get it prescribed by your GP, they are two different "creams" as one of the other ladies has described.

Helena

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kezzar

I dont know about tattoo removal but I have seen mention of it somewhere on this radiotherapy thread, perhaps one of the other ladies might be able to direct you to it. 

With regard to the fear you are experiencing, please do not worry the radiotherapy sessions themselves are not bad at all.  Apart from the first one which does take time,about 25 minutes, because they have to check the measurements and the onocologists information,  After that they are usually done and dusted in about 10/15 minutes.  At this moment it is fear of the unknown, in the same way as we felt when we didnt know if we had bc or not and then with the op etc., you will be fine.

Just remember to drink plenty of fluids and to moisturise well 2/3 times a day.  I used to take my moisturiser with me and when I was getting dressed after the session I would apply it.  The fluid intake is to help counter dehydration which can contribute towards fatigue.  You also need to make sure you get plenty of rest, listen to your body it will tell you  To be honest the part I found the hardest was the travelling to/from the appointment every day, I hated the way my life was controlled by that one appointment, but actually it is a distant memory now

Your rads team will be keeping a close eye on you, if there is anything you are worried about just let them know and they will help to re-assure you.

Let me know how you get on, you can always pm me as well.

Sending you a hug

Helena xxx

Once you get the first one under your belt you will be fine.

Kezzar

Hi everyone

i had my first session on Monday. They did the scans and gave me two tattoos. I'm really unhappy about them, particularly the one in my cleavage. Can I get them removed? I'm also getting very nervous and not sure I want to go through with it. For some unknown reason I've been really teary  today so not sure if it is all catching up with me. 

Has anyone ever declined rads? Thanks. 

Snail888

That's brilliant thank you. A lot of the ingredients are the same as spam other creams that I can get without going to go. Xx
Jacquie48

Hi Snail. Haven't worked out how to post a picture so here goes on ingredients.
R1 - Purified water, Triethanolamine, Milk Protein, Carbomer, Acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acylate crosspolymer, Edetate disodium, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexlglycerin. R1 is free from fragrance, parabens, benzene and contains no antioxidants or metals
R2 - Purified water, Octocrylene, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, milk protein, Caprylyl methicone, Octinoxate, Avobenzone, Corn starch, Glycerin stereate, Glycerin stereate citrate, Glycerin Stereate SE, Ceteareth-20 & cetearyl alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP polymer, Phenooxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Edetate disodium
R2 free from fragrance etc as for R1, also provides UVA and UVB protection to reduce the risk of reaction to sunlight following treatment

R1 is for use in a thick layer straight after treatment and R2 is four times a day. Have used twice and it's lovely. Easy to apply not sticky and absorbs quickly.

Hope that helps!! Xx
Snail888

Those with r1 and r2 creams what are they? Could you post a picture of the ingredients please. I was shattered today but think it's because I didn't sleep much last night. Tonorrows appointment is early so i just get off to bed! Seems I have 4 day weeks not 5 due to bank holidays and machine services so hoping skin will make the most of the rest. Xx
Corrina

Hi All had an ok day but really shattered tonight.Had my 9th session today and so only 6 more to go for myself and Pippa. My boob is really  red and hot tonight . They are going to try to get a breast care nurse to check it when I go in for my treatment tomorrow. They think I could possibly have an infection. hopefully will be ok. always worry incase the cancer might come back as there is a lump there but they have said that is probably scar tissue.

I have very fair skin so might be just the radiotherapy burning me. The cream they gave me to use at the hosp is QV cream but wandering if it doesnt suit me .Might ask if I should try something else. I had also been using some Aloe Vera gel but stopped this incase that didnt suit me . dont know what to do for the best really. Hopefully I will get some helpful advice tomorrow. I have also started getting some twinges of pain but got told this was normal at this stage.Im really pleased to be having a 4day break in my treatment over Easter as it will give my skin a much needed rest and give it time to settle down .

hope your  first treatment goes ok tomorrow Jacquie.

Yes Im drinking loads of water LadyBowler which I know id good to do but Im up all night on and off having to go to the loo.. ha ha ..take care everyone XX

Jacquie48

Thank you ladies for your replies. Isn't it interesting how we all get different advice. I can't use E45 unfortunately as having used it for years for eczema my skin started reacting badly to it a few years ago. I do have aloe vera gel which I'm contemplating taking to put on straight afterwards. I'm 10 weeks post chemo, Guys Hospital are really busy I think, hence the delay and the start just before Easter. I'm going to ask for the dressings you mention OldDawn to have just in case but suspect I won't get them unless I have a problem. My appointment isn't until 5.05pm tomorrow so I do hope they aren't running late!!

Jacquie x
pippa149

Good luck for tomorrow Jacquie .You will soon get used to the routine. Ive heard the R creams are really good but lots of places reluctant to give them as  quite expensive .Ive not heard anything about breaks in treatment being a problem ..Im sure they will reassure you tomorrow.

Best wishes

Barbara

Kimjane

I hope you don't mind ... I had my radiotherapy from February through until 16 March having had 19 sessions .. on 18 March I went on holiday to Dominican Republic.... I have used E45 throughout (covered area in sun) ... and all is well ... hope his helps x

OldDawn63

Pippa - thanks, yes I have only 2 more to go now. It's been a long haul! It must be reassuring to have the extra support from the nurse, because the radiographers don't always have the time to talk to you much.

Jacquie - good luck for tomorrow. As has been mentioned, it may take a bit longer than usual because they take images for reference the first few times. It can't be too much of a problem having a 4 day break over Easter otherwise they wouldn't do it but it is certainly worth mentioning tomorrow. They aim to start radiotherapy as soon as possible blafter surgery or chemotherapy, which may be why they want to start now, or it may be that this is the only time they can fit you in.

At my hospital they insist on aqueous cream and nothing else, so I have only used that. I have also got Intrasite and Instillagel in reserve incase any serious problems develop, but have not had to use them yet.

Aqueous cream is quite thin so you have to really plaster it on, and it also takes ages to rub into your skin. You also can't put it onto your skin less than 2 hours before treatment, so if you have a very early appointment this can be an issue, although you can use it straight after. Other than these minor things, I have had no problems with it. It cools the skin and stops any soreness or irritation in its tracks. I have some pinkness and occasional itching but no burns, rashes or skin breakdown so far, after 21 treatments (shouldn't speak too soon!).

I should mention that I have been moisturising with E45 all through chemotherapy and ever since, including following surgery, which has probably helped. My boosters are also to the top half of the breast (where the tumour was), rather than underneath the breast, into the armpit or to the side nearest the armpit where the scar is. This has probably reduced the risk of bad skin reactions.

pippa149

Hope everyone is ok .The nurse today thought my skin was coping ok (altho its very red in places.)I have used lots of the aqueous cream and aloe vera occasionally. She will check again next week .It was great to talk to her..She seemed to have more time to chat and answer questions  than the radiographers. Only 6 to go for Corinna and I! .only 2 for Dawn ?Not too long for JoJo and Fit either.Hope your first session well Snail and your planning meeting tomorrow Rooty.Mine was fine-  a 10 minute chat to check details  and about 15 mins for the measurements.Hope Ive not forgotten anyone !

Barbara

Jacquie48

Hi all I'm new to this forum. I start tomorrow. I have R1 and R2 creams. Has anyone else used these? My GP said aqueous cream is too thin though it's good for washing with. The R1 says to use as soon as possible after treatment and leave in a thick layer for 20 minutes. I won't be able to put it on till I get home so by then it will be an hour or more afterwards. Hoping that's still ok. As I've seen others mention, I have a break for Easter after doing only two sessions and I'm not all that happy about it. I wasn't low grade and I wish they were starting me next week instead. I am going to mention it again tomorrow at my information session. I will have a read through the forum to see other experiences before asking any more questions.
Jacquie
OldDawn63

21 today, 21 today (zaps not years that is)!

Snail - hope you get on OK today with your first treatment. The first few will take a bit longer because of them taking images, but the quicker you can get settled into position the sooner it is over. You shouldn't get any reaction for a few days. Keep hydrated, keep moisturising, tell the radiographers at the first sign of any problems, and you should be fine.

Can't say I have tried frozen cabbage leaves, but I do rinse the zapped area in cold water twice a day. The only moisturiser I have used, as instructed by the radiographers, is aqueous cream. Whatever you use it must be fragrance free. I also use Simple soap for washing and a Pitrok crystalline deodorant (after applying moisturiser).

The aqueous cream has been OK so far. I apply it very generously (already got through 2 tubs!) 4 times a day: in the morning after showering, immediately after treatment, around lunchtime or teatime (depending on when treatment is), and last thing at night.

Snail888

I have e45 at the ready but was told not to use for 3 hours before or after. What elae are people using? Has anyone tried frozen cabbage leaves fornhor boobs?
JoJo45

Evening Ladies, 

Just had my 10th session so halfway through now.  Skin is doing ok, I moisturise when I'm zapped, I've always had sensitive skin so apparently all my moisturisers are ok, at the moment it's doublebase gel.  

Hope you all managed to get out and about this weekend and enjoy the weather.  

Snail hope the first session goes ok, the firsts one takes much longer as they will take x-rays to make sure everything is set up in the right position.  One my first one the machine had a technical issue so was a little longer than planned.  

Dawn, only 3 to go and it will be time for those bells 🔔.  

Hugs to all xxx

Snail888

Hi first session for me tomorrow. Apprehensive of the effects in a few more weeks yet. Especially skin reactions. Will check through forum and see what you are all recommending for skin protection x
OldDawn63

Hello everyone, sorry for not posting over the weekend. I started writing messages several times but each time I either got interrupted or lost the message due to authentication problems. I have just had 20/23 without too much waiting today - only 3 more to go!

Hope you all managed to make the most of the sunshine over the weekend. I'm sure there will be many more days like this once we have all finished and are feeling better. We went to Shugborough yesterday to see what it is like now NT have taken over managing it. We walked round the gardens and grounds, but a walk I would normally find easy wore me out!

Corinna - glad you had a good day with your daughter yesterday, and you were probably wise not to risk overdoing things. Thanks for the brilliant tip about wearing a bra over a cotton vest. I tried this over the weekend woth a crop top, and it worked really well. Now my nipple is starting to get a bit sore I also find cotton wool make up pads help, and they will stay put under a bra or crop top.

Jayne - hope you enjoyed the wedding and the bra was not too sore. I found wearing a vest underneath like Corinna suggested is better than stuffing a cotton hanky down it because it stays in place. If you are still sore I hope they will give you something for it today to stop it getting worse.

Pippa - it's good that you are seeing a nurse to check your skin this week. I am reliant on the radiographers, although they are pretty good and check my skin every day. I have got a follow up appointment as well, but it isn't until June.

JoJo - how are you getting​ on? You must be nearly finished now, hope everything is still OK.

Rooty - hope your planning session goes well, and they are able to find a reasonably comfortable position.

FiT - I take off my hat (and wig) to you for coping with radiotherapy in your situation, and hope the painkillers are helping.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Corrina

Glad you had a nice afternoon with your daughter, all these things help us in so many ways, its the actual journey I think that takes it out of you.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as that will help with the dehydration that rads can cause xx

Corrina

Hi All thanks for the confirmation that it is ok to take a break from Rads Helena. had been going to go out today to visit a relative but was feeling too tired for the journey. Instead I went for a short walk with my daughter and then came back to mine together for a while. Now Im really wiped out and going to have a lye down. so glad I only have to go 4 times to hosp next week not 5!!! just too tired to be bothered hoping everyone else is ok.. take care luv Corrina XX