75.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Superstores obliged to provide disabled parking bays?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Are Superstores obliged to provide disabled parking bays?

I totally agree Pinkdove, the reason I raised the point was because someone earlier up on the thread asked why there needed to be mother and baby spaces at all, I was just explaining why they were needed. Both are there for valid reasons.

I agree with Kate - sometimes when my spine is bad having to walk just that bit extra makes a huge difference plus I get quite breathless at times as well. Having the spaces nearer to the entrance for disabled spaces can sometimes mean that you don't need to sit down as soon as you get into the shop.

I would presume that the majority of us here are mothers and have had the problems of grappling with pushchairs and young children and keeping them safe.

I don't think it's about disabled versus mother and child spaces - the two can't be compared.

Wow thats fantastic!!! Hopefully they will all follow suit.

Guest user
Not applicable

my local Asda has recently expanded the amount of both disabled and mother/baby spaces and also introduced a fine scheme whereby anyone found abusing the dedicated parking ... if you get caught in a disabled space without a blue badge you will be fined and the money will got to mobility charity - if it's a mother & baby space the money goes to childline.... go asda!!!

I totally agree that there should be spaces for both people for both reasons. It makes my blood boil when able bodied people park in disabled spaces, and I would be the first to have ago at them lol ask my husband he names me "jules champion of the people" as I have been known to tell people to park elsewhere, pick up there dog poo etc. anything which I feel is wrong lol the point I was making was there should be spaces for both, because someone made a point askin why there were mother and babies spaces. I certainly do not think there should be more mum and baby spaces, but I think there should be lots of spaces for both. Infact it would give me lots of pleasure to go round clamping able bodied people parking in disabled spots.

Guest user
Not applicable

I spoke to motability about the law and disabled parking spaces and they said 10% of spaces plus 1 for some bizarre reason had to be disabled.
Yes - I know what itis like with small children - I had 3 children under 3 to manage to get across carparking to supermarkets and it was hard but struggling with hip and back pain and breathlessness due to extensive secondaries and lymphoedema is much, much worse and it was always easier to get a mother and baby space and you didn't run the risk of gettting your car or yourself hit by so many people who should not be driving as there seem to be so many disabled elderly people driving who can not park or even have any awareness of the fact that there are other people around. I have had my car bashed so many times in disabled spaces which never happened in mother and baby slots!!!

Another thing I have noticed is alot of the younger ladies on here with Cancer have small children, would be interested to hear there views on the subject of "mother and baby" spaces.

I just wanted to pick out a comment from a lady above about mothers and childrens parking spaces. Yes I agree that there should be more disabled spaces, but it is also very important to have mother and baby spaces too. Have you ever tried pushing a heavy trolley across a car park with a baby in the trolley and two small toddlers! It is virtually impossible to keep a hold of them and a trolley, so no buggies are not much use, unless you have ten pairs of hands to push buggy, trolley, hold toddlers hands etc etc! Small children can run off and get mowed down by a car, THAT IS the reason for MOTHER AND BABY SPACES! So the mother does not have to drag them across a car park and risk them being killed! Supermarkets realise this hence the spaces.

Guest user
Not applicable

It is a huge hospital and the extra parking is needed. There is seating between the car park and the main entrance, lifts on every floor and wheelchair access. It is a far shorter walk than the old system required. The hospital is to be developed even further (major centre for treatment and research on a European scale) and I am sure even the new facilities won't cope when that takes place.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had arguments in Tescos car park over disabled or mother & baby parking but these days I try to restrict myself to harbouring dark murderous thoughts about the culprits instead of risking a heart attack by becoming embroiled. My other gripe at Tesco is the cars that ignore the zebra crossings, as I am walking across with my children. Grrrrrr... And people who don't use their indicators. And people who don't give way when a car is parked on the side of the road on which they are travelling. I digress. Kate - I will happily join you in John Lewis - I think we could look like a Catherine Tate or Little Britain sketch muttering away!

Grumpy cancer patient... x

Why is there an element of the population who believe that the highway code does not apply to them???

Guest user
Not applicable

Jenny - I am insenced at the jobsworth's directive - seven storeys high?!! My husband cannot walk from a ground floor car parking space in a car park. He and I have so many appointments at the hospital, that we now get there an hour earlier than our appts (thank goodness we are retired), and drive round and round to find a disabled bay where he can walk to the main entrance. Then it is a long walk to the bc centre, x-rays, scans etc.where we have to stop every 30 yds or so for him to get his breath and balance. He is a big man 6'4", some 15 stone, and I am always terrified he will fall and I can't pick him up. His last Neurology appt was on the 5th floor of the hospital - nearly a half mile to see the Consultant in, can you believe it, a whole floor of empty bays? Mother's and babies? - well, they are usually a lot fitter and healthier than us oldies, at 63 and 80 yrs old. I don't understand why they need special parking - don't they have buggies?

Mary - thanks for responding to my query about electric scooters - good to hear that Asda has these in store, but my husband's problem is getting into the store from a distant parking space.
We live in an isolated corner of Cornwall and the nearest two Asda stores are at least an hour and a half west or north of us, so we rarely go there. Could you please ask your directors to buy Somerfield stores? That is the nearest supermarket to us and that is three quarters of an hour's drive each way. After having dealt with a very difficult, arrogant and condescending Oncologist, I don't think I will have any problem dealing with young mum's shouting at me!

Kate - ask Tesco's for a print out of their customer profile spends, anyone using a credit card will be on their database. Being retired and not short of money, our luxuries are to buy good food and wine and entertain friends and second home owners here - they reciprocate by taking us out at night as hubby and I have cataract problems and unable to drive in the dark. I would think we spend some £150 a week on groceries, just for the two of us, and intermittent entertaining. Just because we are old and disabled, do they not want our business? We only now go to supermarkets where we can access a disabled bay, like Waitrose, Aldi or Morrisons, both an hour's drive away. At least we can always get a disabled space at those stores.

Must say I have found Aldi absolutely brilliant - when I had FEC chemo, I had to stop methotrexate for Crohn's and had to wear incontinence pads. I had 2 occasions in their store when I had faecal incontinence, white trousers on, and in a mess. The Manager took me into their staff toilets and let me get cleaned up. He now speaks to me by my name! So, there are some good, caring supermarket managers around.

Take care all - loved getting all your input.
Liz.

Guest user
Not applicable

17 April 2008

The new multi-storey car park at Addenbrooke’s opens on Friday 18 April, with 770 spaces for patients and visitors.
The New Carpark

“This will be the hospital’s main public car park,” says Richard Howe, Director of Estates and Facilities. “The facilities are excellent, and it will provide enough additional parking spaces for the future. We want to encourage people who can get here without driving to do so — but we still need to provide parking for disabled patients, the ill, the frail, and those without convenient access to public transport.”

The new car park is seven storeys high, with 63 disabled parking spaces, security lighting, and more than 50 CCTV cameras. It will be staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with a customer service desk to provide information and concession tickets for outpatients with appointments. The building is fitted with a wind turbine and solar cells to contribute to its energy needs — and a new pedestrian footbridge connects it to the hospital’s main entrance.

Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

I feel I should go about with my latest CT and bone scans results. I look well and being 46 I get lots of complaints and dirty looks about me using disabled bays. My local co-op is the worst as the disabled parking bays are by the cash machine so people park there as' they will only be a minute' but it means when I arrive there are no spaces left!! I even got blocked in the other week by a mum who had left her baby in the car and the engine running!! If I hadn't had to be helped out on that occasion after nearly fainting i would have moved her car for her!!!
I recently calculated that they have nearly double the mother and baby spots to disabled ones in most stores - I thiink the big stores think disabled people have less money to spend so they prioritise mums and babies. I argued this point with tescos the other week but they denied it!!!
I haven't yet written to toys r us but I will.
my favourite but rather sad occupation is to sit in the John Lewis restaurant when the parking attendants go round the argos car park issuing tickets to all those parked illegally in disabled bays!!!
i could rant on for ever but better stop!!
Kate

It's interesting - I went to our local QD store yesterday (not sure if they are nationwide?) and they have absolutely no disabled bays at all and state quite clearly on their information board that they don't - I would have thought they were breaking the DDA law as Mary has said? I might well write to them.....

Phoebe - yes, I've been going up to Addenbrookes for the past 13 years on and off and it still hasn't got any better! I was up there for radiotherapy at the end of March and my husband had to drop me off at the entrance and then park miles away. But what about all those people who don't have that option?

Outwardly I don't have any signs of being disabled and I have had quite a few 'dirty' looks in that I shouldn't be parking there (from other disabled people). I had one occasion last year when a couple actually went up to a Tesco employee who was walking past to say that I shouldn't be parked there - talk about my blood pressure being raised!! Plus I'm in my early 50's and look 'healthy' on the outside - they should see the inside!

I've seen a number of cars at different places (not so much supermarkets) but places like PC World & B&Q where a small minority of people openly flout the parking restrictions and will park in the disabled ones, probably because no action is taken.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Liz,you can't be fined for parking in mother and toddler bays,you may just get irate mothers shouting at you ha ha.
As for electric scooters we have them for use in store, I work for Asda but customers are not allowed to take them outside for insurance purposes.

Mary
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi maryfrod - both my 79 yrs old husband (who cannot walk more than 30 yds but refuses to use a wheelchair) and I are disabled, each with blue badges. Can we be fined for using a mother/baby space when there are no disabled spaces available? Most times, my husband has to sit in his car reading a book whilst I hobble around the supermarket.

Pinkdove, you are so on the button - why are the mother and baby spaces so nearer the entrance than disabled spaces? Do the supermarkets just want mums with kid to shop? We spend, as retirees, much more than they do, as we don't eat out at junk restaurants and buy their most expensive foods.

Mary - don't know which supermarket you work for, but could you perhaps make a recommendation that they have electric scooter type vehicles available, as they do at all supermarkets in the US we have visited? It would make all the difference in the world to us.
Liz.

Guest user
Not applicable

Even if there is redevelopment taking place, there is an obligation to provide disabled parking spaces. Take it up with the manager of the store concerned.

As for Addenbrookes - well, what do you expect!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
I am a manager in a supermarket, and it is a legal requirement to provide disabled parking bays but not mother and todler bays.Hence you can be fined for parking in a disabled bay if you are not disabled

Mary
x

I'm not sure either. I know that some of the big stores in my area don't actually own the car park so are powerless to enforce things such as able bodied people using disabled spaces.

I wrote to Morrison's ages ago as I was convinced the mother and toddler spaces were nearer to the entrance than the disabled (must have been in a stroppy mood at the time!). The manager actually rang me to say that he'd got his tape measure out to see whether they were and they were equal distance. So my next question to him was why they needed to be close to the entrance??? Didn't really have an answer to that.....

The outside of the oncology department at Addenbrookes is being renovated at the moment and the disabled bays there have all gone as well.

Pinkdove

Guest user
Not applicable

Why don't you talk to the store manager? They could very probably put up temporary signs for disabled bays>

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kate

How annoying! Usually, it's all those able-bodied people without parking badges using disabled spaces that make me mad, but having no disabled spaces is really an insult to disabled customers.

I just looked on the Equality & Human Rights Commission's (CEHR) website, where it states that service-providers (like shops) have a duty to "consider making reasonable adjustments by removing or changing physical features that make it difficult or impossible for people with mobility problems, and people with visual and hearing impairments, to access their services." This includes parking, but it's difficult to tell if Toys r Us would be legally required to provide disabled parking spaces -- I'm no expert here. They do have a helpline - 0845 604 6610 - and I'm sure they'd tell you if Toys r Us's decision to take away disabled parking spaces is unlawful. The three equality commissions (disability, gender & race) recently combined into the CEHR; my very dated knowledge of the individual commissions' role & activities makes me doubt that they would take this up, but you could see what they say. Or you could just write/email the store manager, complaining about her/his decision to remove the disabled parking spaces while the store is being renovated.

Hope the anti-b's are working for you, and that you're feeling loads better today than yesterday!

Marilyn x

Guest user
Not applicable

Are Superstores obliged to provide disabled parking bays?

I just popped into Toys r Us and found that the store was being renovated and so the toys were all being sold in a giant marquee which is taking up half the car park so now there are no disabled parking spaces and I had to park quite a long walk away in a normal narrow space. I hate narrow spaces as due to the secondary in my hip I need the door wide open to get out with less pain.
Then when we got inside the marquee the floor is a suspended wooden thing which wobbles and vibrates as you walk on it. I was looking at something to buy with my 8yr old's forthcoming birthday and an assistant was bashing things onto the floor which just vibrated up my spine and hip even more and caused me a lot of pain. I asked him to stop just for a minute but had to explain why but he did so that makes a change.
Are stores obliged to provide disabled parking bays as there are currently none there now and apparently won't be for the next few weeks? It must have been over 300 yds for me to get into the store today by the time you followed all the signs so as not to get run over. the staff obviously park in an enclosed area right next to the entrance.
I've tried looking at DDA website but I couldn't find any answers. Does anybody know?
Thanks
Kate