Aren't cysts always benign?

A friend of mine has become really worried that a breast cyst she had last year might actually be a sign of breast cancer. I think she is worrying unnecessarily but can cysts ever be cancerous?

Hi Julie

You could direct your neighbour to this pamphlet

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/breast_cysts_aug07_0.pdf

which should set her mind at rest.

best wishes

Ann

I’ve had a look at the BCC literature and it sounds benign.

Hi Julie,

I don’t know the answer to your question but I am sure that other ladies here will help you with this.

The reason I am writiing is because it seems that you are having to take on an awful lot dealing with someone elses symptoms when you are going through so much yourself. I know that with family and friends very often initially we have to help them through acceptance and understanding of our diagnosis and this takes a lot of energy and effort.

I hope that I am not speaking out of turn but do put yourself first in this. At this time it is you that should be supported.

Take care and think of yourself and your needs.
Margaret

hi there julie ,
wouldnt want 2 worry ur neighbour but i was told i had a cyst by consultant , but 2 yrs lata still not happy with result went back an told i had invasive lobular c , right where the so say cyst was , i was 43 at the time of proper dx .
tracy

Hi Julie

I think if she is worried she needs to go back to her GP and be referred to a Breast Clinic. I found what I thought was a cyst in February. Went along to my GP, who also thought it was a cyst. Because of my family history (my mother had bilateral BC) my GP decided to refer to the breast clinic. They also thought it was only a cyst until the Fine Needle Aspiration showed there were cancerous cells alhough it is DCIS. I think your neighbour needs to find peace of mind. Encourage her to badger her GP to send her to the Breast Clininc