Areola Reconstruction

My areola looks really messy due to poor advice on wound care after it was relocated as part of a breast reduction. The consultant mentioned tattooing as a possibility but I’ve since read that that only last 18 months or so before it has to be re-done. I’d really like something permanent that only has to be done once.

Is it possible to have the areola reconstructed, not just tattooed? And how is it done?

Hi CC,
I am about to have a delayed LD recon, as well as a risk-reducing mx and immediate recon on the other side.
I can only tell you what I was told. My surgeon said that often moving the nipple and areola led to poor results, with the result shrinking, puckering and discolouring. It depends on the size, and whether your breast is being reduced, but he encouraged me to opt for a reconstructed nipple, with tattoo. That is what I intend to do (booked in for LD on 21st), partly because I would like both nipples to match as much as is possible. For me, having the tattoos re-coloured every couple of years is maintenance I am prepared to put up with.

You can have an areola grafted on though. Have a look at ‘Breast Reconstruction: Your Choice,’ Rainsbury and Straker. There are some really good photos and lots of useful advice about the pros and cons of different methods.
Good luck,
Tracey

Hi TSR

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid having to have the areola re-tattooed every so often.

I’ve had both breasts lifted and reduced, on the BC side first to get rid of the tumour without major disfiguration, then the other side to match. The BC operation was successful and the scars have healed up nicely, but on the “good” side they had to operate again within a few hours because of a haematoma and that caused the messy healing, hence the question about areola reconstruction.

Unfortunately I couldn’t view online the relevant pages of the book you mentioned, so I’ll have to enquire at the library.