Arimidex Side effects

Arimidex Side effects

Arimidex Side effects Hi,

I have been taking Arimidex for just over a year now after taking Tamoxifen for 3 years and over the last few months have been having a problem with my mouth but particularly my tongue being very sore and blistering to the extent that I have a large raw patch all the way down one side of my tongue.

I haven’t been able to see my Oncologist but, my own GP is convinced it is the Arimidex - has anyone else experienced any problem like this.

I would be grateful to hear from you if you have as, I am not convinced it is a side effect.

jocjoc

Information for jocjoc Hi Jocjoc

Sorry to see that you are experiencing these side effects at the moment. I have given a link below to a factsheet produced by Breast Cancer Care which can be either downloaded or ordered from this website.

I hope you find this answers some of your questions:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/arimidex_feb_06_0.pdf

Kind regards.

Online Host
Breast Cancer Care

Sore Tongue This is the first time I’ve heard anyone mention this, but I, too, have had a sore tongue whilst on Arimidex for the past 2 years. I’ve now been taken off it and put on to Aromasin (2 weeks ago) - not because on the tongue though -and I’m wondering whether it will go now, but not so far.

Arimidex side effects Hi, thanks for your replies. I tend to agree with Helen that my GP is clutching at straws and using Arimidex as an excuse (don’t you find that whatever problem you have after breast cancer you are told it is either an after effect of the chemo/radiotherapy or, a side effect of either Tamoxifen or Arimidex!). I think I will try and have a word with my Oncologist to get to the bottom of the problem hopefully.

Thanks again everyone.

jocjoc

Arimidex is quite a ‘new’ drug. Arimidex has not been on the market as many years as Tamoxifen and when I first asked to be put on Arimidex, my oncologist said no and the reason she give me was that it took many years before all the side effects were known about Tamoxifen.

In the end, I was prescribed Arimidex and I believe we are all part of the long testing time on this drug.

Perhaps Arimidex has caused your sore tongue. I got a very sore finger this summer and I wouldn’t be surprised if Arimidex had something to do with it.

I have been on the drug for over one year and I still have joint and muscle pains. This is despite being told they would only last six months.

I am also feeling very tired and getting breathless at times. I had hoped I would be getting better instead I am having more symptoms.

I feel that it is important for people to tell us about any symptoms they experience when taking this drug.

I would love to see surgeons and oncologists put all our symptoms into a computer when we visit them and then maybe we would be able to see a pattern in the symptoms and we would know sooner what symptoms are due to the drug.
Pollyanna

I’ve only been on Arimidex for two months and the joint pain is horrendous. I have little puppy so walk nearly every day – most days I come home crying and a couple of times my hubby has had to come and get me.
This despite being proscribed Co-Codamol 30/500. I was given to understand that the pain should settle down in about 3 month. I have an appointment with the oncologist at the end on the month and want o know what happens if I stop taking Arimidex.
At the moment I can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.
I would be happy to continue taking the Arimidex if the equality of my life improves soon.

Glo xx

‘New’ drug Hi Pollyanna

Agree, Arimidex is quite a new drug and I am sure they are all still ‘experimenting’ with us a little.

Been on it now for one year, as I did take Tamoxifen originally, but had a recurrence with level 3 lymph node involvement. I did not have any significant side effects to start with, but then I was still only just coming out of chemo and put any tiredness etc. down to that. However, I have now noticed that my joint and muscles ache almost all the time. I am also extremely tired and have quite bad night sweats - so not much sleep.l Having another check up early Dec. , so I will mention this to the oncologist. I did insist on a DEXA scan before starting the treatment and my bone health was in the normal range, but I will ask to have the test repeated to make sure that I am not developing osteoporosis, which is a real problem with Arimidex.

Will let you know how I get on.

Birgit

The pain in my joints has become so bad my GP has advised me to stop taking the Arimidex. I’m hoping the oncologist can sort some thing out.
It wouldn’t be so bad but my work wants to know “where I am with my illness and when do I plan to come back to work. I’m waiting for a date for my sickness management interview. I only finished rads first of this month. And don’t feel too great.
I’m going to try and stay off work for a few more weeks its shift work and quite heavy going at times. There is an ease back to work policy – however it is mostly ignored. Public sector can look like a good place to work, but like all large work places you’re just a number and getting the job done is the only priority.
Hope every one is keeping as well as possible
glo

Side affects Hi to all

I was takingTamoxifen for nearly a year then I was changed to Arimidex 6 weeks ago. My feet are really painful especially when I have been sat a while and then start walking. I am putting on weight even though I go to the gym!!

I was considering giving up on the tablets I am so scared of the long term affects and worried that the pain in my feet will continue after the 5 years. I am due back in Dec to ask the onc this question.

I know I am feeling sorry for myself but I just what to be me again to be able to wear the clothes I wore before all this started and to walk pain free. The pain is the main issue it really gets you down.

I would not wish this on anyone but it’s good to know I am not alone

All the best to all

Vodkasue

Arimadex I have been taking this drug for one year. From the very start I had several side effects----nausea,hot sweats-anorexia-unable to sleep and some aches!! got taken off for 1wk and it was bliss however ONC said I must go back on so have done so I feel that one gets used to these irritations and must ALWAYS think----what is the alternative??? It seems everyone has different effects and I really think I am feeling a little bit better this past 2 wks!!! maybe your body adjusts with time??? Love to you all and its so great to read all the letters on this line—so comforting.Roll on another 4 yrs and me coming off Arimadex!!! trish

I’m dreading it I have recently been to see the B.C.Nurse about lymphoedema in my arm and spreading to my body under where my breast was removed, I have a bit of a bulge of fluid. I did think this was just me putting on weight, but after looking in a mirror when trying on a bra in a shop recently I saw this bulge of fluid more clearly. I don’t have mirrors that I can see below my shoulders in the house anymore. I find it stops me getting upset at the sight of myself.

The B.C. Nurse told me that as I was nearly 5 years now on the Tamoxifen and I am being sent for a hormone blood test and then if I’m post menaupausal I’ll be put on Arimidex, well I was quite ok about this but reading through the other letters, I feel really nervous about changing from something I felt “safe” to a certain degree on, to something which will give me terrible aches and more pain to cope with, I get enough aches and pains as it is from the tamoxifen and the effects of the surgery and radiotherapy (nerve damage) so I feel very reluctant to go over to this, am I being over sensitive ? or do the benefits far outway the pain we have to endure ?

pussycat I’ve been taking Arimidex for over two years; it was my choice, I didn’t like what I’d read about the side effects of Tamoxifen and pushed for Arimidex.

Everyone has a different reaction of course, but please don’t think you will necessarily get ‘terrible aches and more pain’.

For the first three months or so of taking it, I had horrible cramps in my legs at night; these stopped and haven’t returned. I do get stiff knees, ankles and hips, but only for a short while when I get up after I’ve been sitting or lying for a long time. I don’t have any other aches and pains.

My hot flushes have been fairly mild and it’s only writing this that I realise I haven’t had one for months.

It may suit you better than Tamoxifen, you don’t know till you try.

Good luck

Arimidex i’ve been taking it since july this year,
the main problem i have is the joint pain, i can hardly walk when i first get out of bed on a morning.
Once i’m up and moving about its ok however if i sit for a while i go stiff again !!
Another side effect is hot sweats and i was doing ok without them up till last week ,i now get them real bad at night, have around 3 a night at the moment.
I’ve had to get my handheld fan out again LOL i put it safely in my cupboard when chemo ended thinkng no more hot sweats,How wrong was i ??

kim xx

not so worried ! Hi,
Thanks Kim and Louise2 for the reasurance about Arimadex, I suppose its right that everyone has a different reaction to drugs, I will try the new drug when it it prescribed to me ,but keeping a close eye on it and reporting back to the onc. dept is probably the best way through this problem, If anything crops up that remains too painful for any length of time then that’s probably the time to ask for a change of drugs.
I think maybe I don’t have an open mind sometimes about these things and end up being a bit over sensitive and get my self in a bit of a state worrying before I really need to.

Arimidex Hi,
I was originally on tamoxifen and had terrible side affects, i had to come off of it after 7 months… I was put onto arimidex and i have been fine, the hot sweats are nowhere near as bad, and only a few at night… making it much easier to live with… i have had no joint pain to speak of… occassionally… have a really tired day… I have now been on arimidex for 5 months and am pleased to say all is well at the mo… so don’t be too worried…
We all worry about how we will be affected by the drugs…
Take care,
Lots of love
Caroline